***OFFICIAL*** FIRE JOE DOUGLAS THREAD

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

As for the effort, we do know he didn't think he was worth a 5th round pick - I think it's reasonable to assume he didn't make much of an effort If a 5th round pick is all it would have taken.  Maybe you don't see it that way...but that was my reasoning.

You don't like Cooper as a player, that's fine and fair.  I think you can acknowledge that many people do.  

You share JD's sentiment on him as a player - I don't.  That is all.

I don't care either way about Cooper. He is a good WR and would have been an immediate upgrade to our WR room. He is overvalued, and that is where I agree with JD. 

• Upvote 1

My view overall, especially as it relates to this off season, is that the performance of the Jets in 2022 will be more driven by the moves that we have already made in previous years. The upside of having a very young team is that you should see growth come organically - so many players that were part of the 4 win season last year should be the cause of a better season this year.

We don't start this season looking at 4 wins max unless we add better players in FA / draft. If that were the case then we are already lost. But we have more reasons than a lot of teams to expect our younger contingent of players to contribute significantly more next year. This is not a team of returning vets hoping for one last hurrah before their window closes and they hang it up; it's a team that needs to put in the hard work to see that window start to open. Not to look at others to do it for them, but to do it themselves, and if others join in and become part of it then so much the better.

Take the OL for example - we have a mix of guys here (vets and youngsters) that have all shown ability at different times; it now needs to be put together and raised up a level. But we can have a very good OL without having to upgrade all that much - RG maybe, but even LDT for a full season would be a plus vs. 2021. AVT year 2 should be even better than AVT year 1. Fant is on the up, if he can keep that level of play we'll do well. Becton has to stay on the damned field, but if he can be at least as good as Becton 2020 it'll elevate the unit.

Same applies at RB, WR, QB ... we need the current guys to continue to develop, maybe with some support via FA / draft, but it shouldn't be that we bring in a new WR and he becomes the focal point while Moore chips in 600 yards and 5 TDs. The exact same with Carter. Both these guys have to be looking at that magical 1,000 yard mark and becoming a big part of the reason we win more games. Zach - goes without saying, he has to show development in Year 2 and become a real plus point at his position, a guy we win because of, not in spite of. TE is the only genuine "black hole" on offense where we pretty much need to start over. 

So if FA doesn't see a whole bunch of new players walk in the door I'm not going to panic - in fact, if we went crazy and brought in a load of guys it would make me wonder what they see (or don't see) in many of the current players that showed promise last year. Yes, we have holes to fill - but we also have a lot of guys that have a lot of room to improve and make their mark in 2022.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Who cares about Jarvis Landry????  Unbelievable what gets people upset around here (everything). 

If Jarvis Landry is the answer, I'd love to know what the question was. :D 

14 hours ago, doitny said:

listen he just had the best draft since the 4 aces draft.

I really hope so, but the jury is still out.

AVT looks like a stud.  Elijah Moore clearly has the talent to be a very good starter.  Michael Carter looks like a starting RB.  That's 3 for 3, and sadly the best we've seen in years.  But the entire Draft comes down to Zach Wilson who is TBD right now.

The bigger problem is the 2020 Draft is looking like almost a complete whiff which is frankly unbelievable given how it was being lauded just 18-24 months ago.  The Jets thought they solved their longterm problem at LT, found a stud WR, and added key pieces on defense at Edge rusher, Safety, etc. as well as developmental middle-round RB, QB and OG prospects.  It turns out that Becton, the most critical piece, is a complete TBD and most others besides a CB2 (Hall) and a below average starting S (Davis) are likely off the roster by August.

• Upvote 3

So after day 1, Douglas has vastly improved one of the guard positions, made a modest improvement at TE and brought back 2 depth players (albeit one of them being a pro bowl special teams player). Decent start to free agency, but the team still needs to add difference makers if they want to significantly improve. 

• 1 month later...

Reasons for JD to be fired after the 2022 season: 

1. < 5 wins 

2. Poor drafting 

3. Drafts an OL with pick #4

4. Mims and Becton totally bust 

5. Defense stinks again (Saleh and Ulbrich should be fired, promote Lafleur).

I think the offense will be better than the defense. I believe Lafleur is the most competitive coach in the staff.

Not sure what combo (if any),  will have JD fired. As long as he is saving money he will stick around in my opinion. 

If Saleh gets fired, replace him with LaFleur. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

13 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Reasons for JD to be fired after the 2022 season: 

1. < 5 wins 

2. Poor drafting 

3. Drafts an OL with pick #4

4. Mims and Becton totally bust 

5. Defense stinks again (Saleh and Ulbrich should be fired, promote Lafleur).

I think the offense will be better than the defense. I believe Lafleur is the most competitive coach in the staff.

Not sure what combo (if any),  will have JD fired. As long as he is saving money he will stick around in my opinion. 

If Saleh gets fired, replace him with LaFleur. 

They'll all be back again the following year. Unless Saleh punches Ulbrich or something.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I'm not a Douglas disciple like many on this board, but I don't hold him responsible for Saleh's gaslighting this week. 

At the end of the day, Saleh is far from the first coach to attempt to gain an advantage by being cute with the injury report; however, don't expect me to ever believe a word from his mouth when it comes to players' injuries. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I'm not a Douglas disciple like many on this board, but I don't hold him responsible for Saleh's gaslighting this week. 

At the end of the day, Saleh is far from the first coach to attempt to gain an advantage by being cute with the injury report; however, don't expect me to ever believe a word from his mouth when it comes to players' injuries. 

Bro douglas drafted a QB with injury history and he came into the nfl and had guess what….. Injuries! 

who could’ve guessed looking at zachs imposing figure at college LOL

JD hired Robert  mr Clean ball headed lies Saleh so ultimately JD has to eat this

I’m sorry 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, oatmeal said:

Bro douglas drafted a QB with injury history and he came into the nfl and had guess what….. Injuries! 

JD hired Robert  mr Clean ball headed lies Saleh so ultimately JD has to eat this

I’m sorry 

You must not be familiar with my posts if you think I'm giving Douglas a pass for drafting Zach Wilson, I was one of the loudest people here during the draft process about how bad of a pick I thought it would be. 

I almost get offended these days when I don't get lumped in with @jgb @munchmemory and @Jetsfan80

• Sympathy 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

You must not be familiar with my posts if you think I'm giving Douglas a pass for drafting Zach Wilson, I was one of the loudest people here during the draft process about how bad of a pick I thought it would be. 

I almost get offended these days when I don't get lumped in with @jgb @munchmemory and @Jetsfan80

Don’t forget @T0mShane

• Haha 4

I was just thinking about how likely it is right now that both Becton and Wilson end up  busting. That made me try to remember the last time the Jets signed one of their first round picks to a second contract.

I hope I’m forgetting someone, but without looking it up, I can’t think of anyone after Revis. Can that be possible?

On 3/14/2022 at 5:45 AM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I don't care either way about Cooper. He is a good WR and would have been an immediate upgrade to our WR room. He is overvalued, and that is where I agree with JD. 

Declining talent due to age and injury 

I agree, be thankful he wasn’t signed 

5 hours ago, oatmeal said:

I’m sorry 

I thought this was fairly obvious even to the casual observer of BYU football 

Kapono has a tennis player type of build except less durable and less pliable 

He’s clearly not built to withstand the rigors of the NFL despite “beefing up” in the offseason 

Should have been taking fish oil injections directly into his knees instead 

the QB has been in the league less than 2 years and already has a “bone on bone” situation with his knees?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2