***OFFICIAL*** FIRE JOE DOUGLAS THREAD

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I’m so tired of JETS fans who celebrate 9 and 7.      I think most fans are happy with the the Pennington years. No 11 win seasons, no deep playoff run, just a basic door prize.   they were basically not going anywhere.  We played an injury prone QB as if he were a savior.   

This....fans are already setting low expectations. Just any improvement is good for them. Convinced in this master plan we reset every 5 years. Like just go out and win the afc East. Is that mindset so bad?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

15 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I’m so tired of JETS fans who celebrate 9 and 7.      I think most fans are happy with the the Pennington years. No 11 win seasons, no deep playoff run, just a basic door prize.   they were basically not going anywhere.  We played an injury prone QB as if he were a savior.   

And it's that wild card mentality you mention that has made Jets teams in the past abandon doing a real rebuild and opt for the short fix. It gets you to credibility faster, but it lowers your ceiling.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe Douglas is the best thing we have had since Parcells.  We are extremely lucky to have him.

This is going to be one of the most exciting jet seasons in years.  Now that it is completely torn down, this is the start of the build.

I am so excited so see all of our new players and coaches come together and begin something special.

Enjoy everyone!  We will look back on this as the beginning when we are one of the top teams in the league a few years from now.

Thank you Joe Douglas!

Agreed. What does the MetLife stadium contract look like? Are we allowed to build a Joe Douglas statue? Or would we just have to move it indoors during Giant home games? Everything is in place for a long term winner, thanks to JD. One step back for a huge leap forward. Thank you Joe!

44 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is the setup he’s given himself. Really Idzik level of cliff to work with. If you’re going to go all in on the draft to this degree you have to hit big and land at least 3-4 starters per year like the Jets did in ‘00 or ‘06. 

We are an expansion team.  So the expectation should be, what, we wait 5 years to go .500?  That's what we're set up for.

SAR I

• WTF? 1

53 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

We were on the brink of 0-16 less than 4 months ago.

Am I supposed to expect 12+ wins this season?

That’s just goofy

If we win 6 or 7 games and Wilson looks like a budding young star at QB, a guy like Q transitions into full blown stud, Lawson has 8-10 sacks, the OL is at least competent, Mims looks like a potential #1 receiver, etc...am I supposed to be pissed off and feel as there is no hope in sight? Especially moving into an offseason where we’ll have two 1st rounders, two 2nd rounders and plenty of cap flexibility?

I’d sign up for that scenario right now

Jets fan might be the only fan base excited for 6-10....

Didnt you all beat me up for rooting for moral wins last year? 6-10 is the worst..Its a bad season without even a top draft pick

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

Jets fan might be the only fan base excited for 6-10....

Didnt you all beat me up for rooting for moral wins last year? 6-10 is the worst..Its a bad season without even a top draft pick

LOL

So you honestly think the Jets should go from 2-14 to wrestling the 13-3 Buffalo Bills for the division in one single offseason?

If your expectations are that sky high, then you have only yourself to blame when you’re disappointed.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jet Life said:

Agreed. What does the MetLife stadium contract look like? Are we allowed to build a Joe Douglas statue? Or would we just have to move it indoors during Giant home games? Everything is in place for a long term winner, thanks to JD. One step back for a huge leap forward. Thank you Joe!

You get it.  Well said.  Looking forward to watching a young, exciting team this year.  Going to be alot of fun and the start of something special.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

LOL

So you honestly think the Jets should go from 2-14 to wrestling the 13-3 Buffalo Bills for the division in one single offseason?

If your expectations are that sky high, then you have only yourself to blame when you’re disappointed.

YES I think the Jets goal should be to win the AFC East, not go 6-10. Wild right? 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

We are an expansion team.  So the expectation should be, what, we wait 5 years to go .500?  That's what we're set up for.

SAR I

One grand slam draft can turn it around, but you really have to hit. Baseline for Douglas has to be what Tannenbaum did between '06 and '07, but the problem is that '06 team already had a framework of some established guys and this team doesn't, so that's the minimum. The Jets don't have much of that going for them and will have a rookie QB to boot. Really strange road ahead for this team.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

YES I think the Jets goal should be to win the AFC East, not go 6-10. Wild right? 

Yes, pretty wild.

It’s the kind of stuff I would believe when I was 12.

The Jets aren’t going from 2-14 to slapping around the team that just won 13 games and has been in the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years.

McDermott is a damn good coach, Josh Allen is a damn good QB, and that team as a whole has very few glaring weaknesses.

Meanwhile the Jets are one big, giant question mark.

But sure...let’s go win a Championship next year.

Totally realistic expectations...

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Tossing the worst coach in the league into the garbage can and getting a new QB who hopefully won’t be 33rd rated should help. Even with average QB play, hitting some picks and the coaching upgrade alone will bring wins  

5 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Tossing the worst coach in the league into the garbage can and getting a new QB who hopefully won’t be 33rd rated should help. Even with average QB play, hitting some picks and the coaching upgrade alone will bring wins  

I think 4-5 wins is possible.  Anything more and we have had a heck of a season.  

Year 3 of Zach Wilson will be the year this team makes a serious run.

Get ready!!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Yes, pretty wild.

It’s the kind of stuff I would believe when I was 12.

The Jets aren’t going from 2-14 to slapping around the team that just won 13 games and has been in the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years.

McDermott is a damn good coach, Josh Allen is a damn good QB, and that team as a whole has very few glaring weaknesses.

Meanwhile the Jets are one big, giant question mark.

But sure...let’s go win a Championship next year.

Totally realistic expectations...

Who the fu@& said they are winning 13 games? Last post it was 12 you said. Love how you keep upping it. So let’s be clear you are fine with 3 losing seasons half way into JDs contract. I need to work for you. 

1 hour ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

And it's that wild card mentality you mention that has made Jets teams in the past abandon doing a real rebuild and opt for the short fix. It gets you to credibility faster, but it lowers your ceiling.

Absofukkinlutely.     We stayed with MCCown and FITZ for 4 years under that mentality.   

23 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Who the fu@& said they are winning 13 games? Last post it was 12 you said. Love how you keep upping it. So let’s be clear you are fine with 3 losing seasons half way into JDs contract. I need to work for you. 

No, last post I said 12+

As in, 12 or more games.

Ya know, in the range of Buffalo’s record last year. The team that you expect us to topple and win the division.

Right after we were neck and neck with Jacksonville as the worst team in football...

Very reasonable...

55 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Gase and Darnold went 7-9.  Then Joe Douglas went to work.  And we went 2-14.  

SAR I

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Gase and Darnold went 7-9.  Then Joe Douglas went to work.  And we went 2-14.  

SAR I

Yeah, they hit their ceiling at 7-9 beating backups and cupcakes. Thank god we ripped that joke down and sent them all packing. See ya!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Jet Life said:

He has to hit on some of these draft picks though. 

Not all of them, he's certainly given himself some room for error - but he needs to find two or three impact level players..the rest can be average with a few misses...but find two major weapons on offense and another on D...

and if Wilson's the real deal - we have a championship caliber team.

But he needs to draft well

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

If we dont win 8 games + the offense takes a big step forward Douglas should be fired. I know everyone wants to set the bar low, but 3 years, turned over most of the roster, got “his” coach and QB...4 wins wont cut it for me.

Again, you guys keep saying "3 years" - this is his second draft. Second. 

Maccagnan got 4 years here. Let this guy get 3-4 drafts, at a minimum. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/15/2021 at 2:42 PM, Maxman said:

The new league year just started, free agency is here. I know this thread is a joke but we have actual football things that we can be talking about. Serious things.

i figured this would happen. we lost all the hot topics in one day

1. no more 5 threads a day on if we should keep sam...

2. draft  zach , trade sam...

3. keep both sam and zach...

4. trading the 2nd pick. 

5. and i think we all know the pick is Zach Wilson.

the Sam fans and the trade Sam guys were really passionate. now if feels like all the air has be taken from our sails.

i figured we would see some joke threads. 

• Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

There have been teams that went from last to first in 1 year ,,,,that's my hope ,,,, just playing

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

Sure...and when was it ever sustainable?

The Dolphins had their little flip flop between ‘07 and ‘08 when Pennington was leading the charge...and where did it ultimately get them? Complete embarrassment in the wildcard round and not a single playoff appearance since that fluke of a season where they were running a bunch of gimmicky wildcat bullsh*t and plenty of simpletons around the NFL landscape actually thought it was some “new wave” that would take the league by storm...

I’ll gladly take 6-11/7-10 next year while being potentially set up for 10+ years of sustained playoff/Super Bowl contention afterwards.

Rome wasn’t built in a day and neither are the consistent winners of the NFL.

Joe is on the 5 year plan. you 40 plus year old's should remember that. nobody does it anymore.

that why he got a 6yr contract. 

he gutted the roster that we all agree was the worst. you cant make a winner when the whole roster was as bad as ours.

he now got HIS QB. HIS HC 

you got to give them at least 3 years. JD should get the same. what are we going to do?, fire JD after a 2-14 season next year and force ANOTHER GM to have a HC and a QB they didnt pick? 

if it doesnt work both JD and Saleh are gone and the new GM picks his coach

fire JD after next year and we will never get anyone good to come here. 

3 minutes ago, doitny said:

Joe is on the 5 year plan. you 40 plus year old's should remember that. nobody does it anymore.

that why he got a 6yr contract. 

he gutted the roster that we all agree was the worst. you cant make a winner when the whole roster was as bad as ours.

he now got HIS QB. HIS HC 

you got to give them at least 3 years. JD should get the same. what are we going to do?, fire JD after a 2-14 season next year and force ANOTHER GM to have a HC and a QB they didnt pick? 

if it doesnt work both JD and Saleh are gone and the new GM picks his coach

fire JD after next year and we will never get anyone good to come here. 

Joe Douglas is bringing a super bowl to the New york jets.  He will be here for 20 plus years.

We have our Ozzie Newsome, ted thompson etc.  This is the chosen one.  WE are extremely lucky.

Get ready jet fans!

• Upvote 1