***OFFICIAL*** FIRE JOE DOUGLAS THREAD

23 hours ago, dcJet said:

JD grades so far:

Trades - Adams A+; Sam B+; Leo A
OL  - Mechi A;  "Making it rain on fat guys on the side stage" F.
FA - Robby/Perriman F; Corey A; Lawson A; "no others this year" B-
Cap - A
Draft - Mechi A+; Trade down - Claypool vs (Mims, Morgan, Clark and 2021 6th) - D so far; Rest of 2020 draft D so far, Mims and/or Hall may save it.
Other moves - Osemele D; Gase/Saleh A so far; 

I think this is fair.  By far JD's biggest strength so far is selling assets for draft picks.  The jury is still out on his ability to acquire talent and build a team...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

1 - SAR understands what Joe Douglas is doing.  It's not enough.  My mother could tear down this roster, get rid of anyone making too much, keep half the roster on 1-year deals, keep reaping JAG's and hope a few stick.  That's what all GM's do.  

This is accurate.  JD can tear down, manage money and acquire draft picks as well as Idzik. 

Can he build is the question?  We don't know yet.  He needs to show his draft chops.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, dcJet said:

This is accurate.  JD can tear down, manage money and acquire draft picks as well as Idzik. 

Can he build is the question?  We don't know yet.  He needs to show his draft chops.

Agreed. This is fair. 

But you have to give the guy who brought in all of these draft picks the chance to use them. 

Let's revisit this in 2 years. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

The rebuild began 3 years before Douglas was hired and he's been here 2 years and 11 months.

This isn't how rebuilds work.  This is what it looks like when you spend 5 years tearing the roster to smithereens and have someone incapable of replenishing it.  Maccangan, now Douglas.  

This guy gets a free pass for 2019 and 2020 why?  We showed Gase the door after 4 measly games.  We're going to give Douglas 4 friggin' years? 

SAR I

The failed rebuild began 3 years before. Until we realized we still lacked talent all over the field and our “super star” player ready for his pay day was a box safety. Glad we have a load of picks now and are spending premium choices on actual impact players like left tackle and wide receiver. Macc was a bum and JD should be praised for blowing his filthy rotten team into pieces.

Just because you fell for the 7-9 run against backups and cupcakes and actually thought this team had a future doesn’t mean we all did. You got tricked, not us. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SOJ said:

Thank you, and Joe, why would argue with Sar1 when the guy thought AG was a viable HC?  The sheer fact that he predicates his rebuild argument on under MAC and tars JD with the same brush is ludicrous.  

The same Quarterback and same Coaching Staff that went 7-9 with a Mike Maccagnan roster went 2-14 with a Joe Douglas roster.

This isn't rocket science.  And it would be just like you to demand Gase's firing after 4 measly games and give Joe Douglas 4 years before deciding if he's any good.  SOJ indeed.

SAR I

53 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This doesn't make any sense to me. 

Sorry ?‍♂️

Joe Douglas was given 2 head starts:

1.  The rebuild was announced in 2017, transpired in 2017, 2018, and 2019, years in which Joe Douglas didn't have control but reaped the benefits of draft picks and cap space.  All other new GM's have to start from scratch.

2.  In an unprecedented move, the Jets fired their GM immediately after the NFL draft.  This gave Joe Douglas 11 months to prepare for his first draft instead of the customary 2 months most new GM's are provided.

The team was pretty much gutted before Douglas had his opening presser.  Then he was given a $4M check to do nothing, to study the roster, to study free agents, to study the NCAA draft class.  And all he did was take a 7-9 team and make it worse.  His 2020 draft was mediocre.  His 2020 and 2021 FA signings are underwhelming.  We're going to have another 22+ JAG's on 1-year contracts.  If we're lucky, we'll have 2 players that would be starters on other teams.  Being good at gutting a team isn't why he was hired.  He eventually has to man-up and sign some impact players.

SAR I

31 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

The failed rebuild began 3 years before. Until we realized we still lacked talent all over the field and our “super star” player ready for his pay day was a box safety. Glad we have a load of picks now and are spending premium choices on actual impact players like left tackle and wide receiver. Macc was a bum and JD should be praised for blowing his filthy rotten team into pieces.

Just because you fell for the 7-9 run against backups and cupcakes and actually thought this team had a future doesn’t mean we all did. You got tricked, not us. 

snowdouglas2.jpg

I have to update this with the blah Bengal and blah Titan (or was it Jaguar?) we signed whose names I can't even remember, but you get the point.

SAR I

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There are 3 types of jet fans right now.

1- Smart jet fans.  They understand what Douglas is doing and realize how lucky we are to have him

2- Darnold fanatics.  They hate Joe Douglas and Zach Wilson because their sh!tty hero was sent packing

3- SAR.  Still whining about Adam Gase who is so bad at coaching hes unemployed.

Nah I would say most fans understand JD needs a little time and that he took over a dumpster fire...but they also aren't bowing to the alter of Joe Douglas and treating him like a deity who can't be criticized.   All you did was mention the fringes. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Going by avg yards doesnt tell the story.

He was 20th in kicks inside the 20.  Given how many 3 and outs he kicked out of, that started on the 25, not too bad 

Youre not looking at the big picture

Then help me understand the big picture. The data and averages that I see are not being negatively influenced by the fact he punted the most times in the league. If anything, with so many opportunities you would think he would be ranked higher than 23rd in terms of his longest punt. He had more opportunities than anyone to hit a banger and yet is still in the bottom third in that regard.

5466D35F-F4C3-4C91-9F88-9005320A801C.thumb.jpeg.08f12b42669939c869003dfa9682cc16.jpeg

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

snowdouglas2.jpg

I have to update this with the blah Bengal and blah Titan (or was it Jaguar?) we signed whose names I can't even remember, but you get the point.

SAR I

How many posts can you continue to put up to drive home that you have no idea what youre talking about.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Then help me understand the big picture. The data and averages that I see are not being negatively influenced by the fact he punted the most times in the league. If anything, with so many opportunities you would think he would be ranked higher than 23rd in terms of his longest punt. He had more opportunities than anyone to hit a banger and yet is still in the bottom third in that regard.

5466D35F-F4C3-4C91-9F88-9005320A801C.thumb.jpeg.08f12b42669939c869003dfa9682cc16.jpeg

You have to take field position, weather everything into account.

Westhoff had it down further, down to the game.  He said in an interview stats are meaningless, you take the kicker or punter and compare what he did in a game vs his counterpart.  If your guy wins more matchups than he looses, you have a good one.

All I said is, as I counted it, he was 20th in the league inside the 20.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

I can't think of another NFL team that has attempted such a thing.  Joe Douglas will either go to the Hall Of Fame as the most innovative GM in the modern era or he will be shown the door by angry Jets fans when they realize they are an expansion team.

We were 7-9 before Joe Douglas put his paws all over the roster.  Then the same coaching staff and the same quarterback went 2-14.  They were the constant; the GM was the variable.  And he just had a sh-t FA period and got nothing in return for Darnold that will help us this season.

SAR I

Oh, I think it's more likely angry Jets fans throw Douglas out the door before the build is complete - not because the build is the wrong thing to do, but because that is what has happened every single time before.

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You have to take field position, weather everything into account.

Westhoff had it down further, down to the game.  He said in an interview stats are meaningless, you take the kicker or punter and compare what he did in a game vs his counterpart.  If your guy wins more matchups than he looses, you have a good one.

All I said is, as I counted it, he was 20th in the league inside the 20.  

This is a big year for him. I’m hoping he’s at least in the top half of the NFL by the end of 2021. If not, it’s concerning. 

2 hours ago, Jet Life said:

we got to make sure we don't fall for that again. 

that 7-9 team played the 2nd easiest schedule in the league. the same we will be doing this year.

23 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Unfortunately, I agree with you. 

IMO, he's the most overrated Jet

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

snowdouglas2.jpg

SAR I

All I see on the left is a pile of absolute junk, and he still somehow walked away with 2 1sts, a 2, a 3, 2 4s and more from it. Way better shape now than back then. But yes, if he doesn’t nails the picks over the next 2 years, he will be fired. Onward!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Oh, I think it's more likely angry Jets fans throw Douglas out the door before the build is complete - not because the build is the wrong thing to do, but because that is what has happened every single time before.

Tanny was here for a long stretch.  

Idzik sucked and was fired as he should have been

Macc was here plenty of time, actually too long.

My suggestion for everyone to stop looking for answer on the outside and look for answer on the inside. If I had a vote I would have voted to keep Sam and trade the the number two pick for more picks. Since I do not get paid the big bucks I am wishing Sam the best and hope the Jets made the correct call. My point is many times people are looking for 'bling' for answers when they right in front of us. New York teams have a tendency to 'react' is decisions made on trade, drafts and direction how they move forward. Outside the Jets most recent decision I am frustrated with the Mets having let Wheeler and Matz go and batting McNeil 6th. It just doesn't make sense to me how teams come to their point in the decisions they make.

12 minutes ago, doitny said:

we got to make sure we don't fall for that again. 

that 7-9 team played the 2nd easiest schedule in the league. the same we will be doing this year.

Yeah, exactly. if your core can’t break .500 playing against jokers and backups. Blow the thing up before you get too deep with them.

Different sport but I’m a lifelong Sixers fan so have a greater perspective through a proper rebuild. I watched people freak out when Jrue & Hawes got traded, let Lou Will go,  shipped out MCW right after winning the ROY, but that groups ceiling was a 7 seed , first round exit. They blew it up, made saavy trades and after a few years won 50 games and are now top 5 in the league. (Silver forcing Hinkie out and Colangelo on us ruined the entire treasure chest of assets is another story) 

A Gase , Darnold, Adams, Leo core just screams 8-8 fighting for a wildcard at best for a decade. So thankful we blew it all up 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

19 hours ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

It became aparant none all of those GMs were horrible...if you weren't able to realize that before they were fired that's a indictment on you not e everyone else.

34 minutes ago, undertow said:

It became aparant none all of those GMs were horrible...if you weren't able to realize that before they were fired that's a indictment on you not e everyone else.

They were awful. No doubt. Their drafting shows it. And Maccagnan ruined what had been a rare strength of the organization, the OL, by doing nothing to address it.

The problem is, Jets fans are so conditioned to the bad that I don't know if they would give the good a chance if it took time.

• 3 weeks later...

We essentially had 3 first round picks.

We took the highest risk QB with the second pick in the draft.

We traded up to get a Tackle.

We stood pat and took a 5'9" slot receiver when the one we have is a great Jet and our best playmaker.

We passed on 3 stud Running Backs.  

Why does this feel like last year?

SAR I

21 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We essentially had 3 first round picks.

We took the highest risk QB with the second pick in the draft.

We traded up to get a Tackle.

We stood pat and took a 5'9" slot receiver when the one we have is a great Jet and our best playmaker.

We passed on 3 stud Running Backs.  

Why does this feel like last year?

SAR I

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, JazzyJet said:

inexcusable. utter failure. outrage. soj. everything sucks.

Totally. Joe Douglas talks a big game but here we are without our new quarterback to start camp. No veteran to siphon off reps, because they're so important, right Joe? 

Apparently not that important. Not as important as saving Woody a few bucks. Every other team is enjoying the start of training camp. Their fans get to see their new draft picks out and getting ready to make an impression. Us? We get contract drama while the presumptive starter boogie boards in Cali. Gee Joe, 2-14 last year to a QB-less start to this year. Great job. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe Douglas will not cave.  In the long run, this will benefit this franchise tremendously.  In the short run, we might not see zach for a week or 2.

As usually, Douglas is thinking long term while this board is thinking short term.

Thank you Joe Douglas!  Thank you!!

Buyers remorse Zach will be traded with picks for Rodgers or Watson before the week is out.  

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, freestater said:

Why oh why won't Joe sign our QB?

All these so-called “great negotiators” eventually box themselves in a corner and Joe may have met his match.   

Zach doesn’t need the money.  And the Jets are in no position to piss off a blue chip QB who doesn’t want to be here to begin with.   This is no way to correct our reputation.  Pushing around Jameson Crowder is one thing.  Zach Wilson is another thing entirely. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1