***OFFICIAL*** FIRE JOE DOUGLAS THREAD

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

I will ask again and this has been my major problem with JD

What on earth is the plan???

Development of all these young kids? That’s like a suicide mission. He has to bring more talent to this roster. This is not even an nfl worthy roster and been saying this for weeks

Joe Douglas will never be a GM in this league again after this disaster of a tenure with the Jets. Joe Douglas is actually worse than Mike Maccagnan, who at least hit on his first round picks. It's hard to believe we could get worse, but we did. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, doitny said:

and you say JD is the worst guy at drafting and FAs right? but you also say this team has more talent then the 7-9 team. 

both cant be true. 

Whoa!  We operate under the assumption that the current roster has to be better than the injury-depleted 16-players-on-IR squad from 2019.  If its not, not only does Joe Douglas have to go, but he immediately is labeled the worst GM in NFL history.  Even Idzik and Maccagnan weren't that bad.

SAR I

8 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Leonard Williams - Just signed a 3 year 63 million dollar contract and has been nearly invisible this year. he will make Wilkerson's contract look good. 

Jamal Adams - overrated safety who can't cover and just signed 4 year 70 million dollar contract. Seattle management and fans would love to turn back the clock on this trade. 

Osemele - played 5 games with the Chiefs in 2020 before injuring both knees and hasn't played since. 

Robbie Anderson - Only player I could see us signing last year as he had a good year. This year his numbers are way down with 5 catches for 103 yards in 3 games and is making 15 mil. 

Steve Mclendon - he has done basically nothing for Tampa with few tackles and zero sacks. 

Avery Williamson - Played a few games with Pitt in 2020 and recorded 1 sack and is not playing football in 2021. 

Kelvin Beachum - Middling OT with Arizona. Nothing special. We have plenty of those. 

Sam Darnold - was horrible for the Jets. We all know this. he would have been horrible this year as well. It was time to move on and not pay him the 25 mil that he was due. 

This list isn't exactly a HOF list and actually shows that JD made the right decision in nearly every case. Well done. 

That's the same old blah-bla-blah-b-blah justification for trading away existing Jets talent.

No matter how flawed those players may have been, they are better than what Joe Douglas replaced them with.  That's the point.  That's how bad the situation is.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I think this is an overlooked point. The Jets basically can't fire JD after this year. They were already taking the 2nd tier candidates for GM and HC. If they fire him this offseason, 2nd tier candidates who are desperate enough they'll take any of the "only 32 NFL HC jobs in the world" will stay away or demand 6 year contracts for them and their entire staff. 

THis type of stuff is how you get the Idziks, MacCagnans, and Joe Ds. They have to ride it out at least another year after this one. 

You don't understand.  The Jets are getting "second tier GM candidates who are desperate" no matter what we do.  That's who we are.  It's who we've been since Tannenbaum left town.  Nothing is going to change that.  Another 1 or 2 years of Joe Douglas sucking won't make top tier GM candidates want to come here, it just means that the roster is even worse and its an even worse job.

The one good thing about being the team that no GM wants to come to is that we can embrace that and bring 'em in and out and in and out as quickly as we like until we get one who knows what he's doing.  Our mistake was holding onto Maccagnan too long.  Let's not let that happen again with Douglas.  The only way we're going to strike GM gold is to get lucky with one of these desperate types, so the more we bring in here the better our chances.  It's like Lotto.  We need as many tickets as possible.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Is there one position group on this team that you can say is better this season then when Joe Douglas took over this team?

NO

He took a 7 win team with a few star players, traded everyone away so he could build in his image, and has reduced the New York Jets to an expansion team without the benefit of an expansion draft.

We are the Jacksonville Jaguars now.  And it was all unnecessary.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Leonard Williams
Jamal Adams
Kelechi Osemele
Robbie Anderson
Steve McLendon
Avery Williamson
Kelvin Beachum
Sam Darnold

Listen, I get the fact that not all of these guys were great and some were not worth their contracts, but can you name 3 players on the current roster better than anyone on this list when they were here on Douglas's watch?

SAR I

The problem isn’t getting rid of the guys on this list (the list is a group of mediocre / overpaid players) , it’s not being able to replace anyone. JD lives and dies by the draft and he currently is failing horribly. The 2020 class is Idzik/Mac level.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GangGreened said:

He’s been straight ass as a GM since he started. If this team wins less than 4 games this year I would fire him regardless of the 6 year contract.

You can’t just go backwards, which appears to be happening since he took over.

This.

He.  Can't.  Pick.  Players.

And it's not going to get any better.  Remember when the league was stunned when we fired Maccagnan right after the draft?  The one benefit of that was supposed to be that the new GM would have an unprecedented 10 months to prepare for his first draft and not get the customary 2 months that new GM's traditionally get.

And the 2020 draft will go down as one of the worst-  if not the worst-  in team history.

SAR I

What’s funny to me is everyone thinks every move that Joe made was awful, except Zach Wilson. I hate to tell you guys, Zach sucks balls too. I’m so disappointed that Joe played the money game and decided to roll the dice on a kid who had one good college season after almost losing his starting job because he played well against the likes of coastal Carolina. Joe Douglas has made a lot of mistakes, drafting Wilson was by far his worst.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

That's the same old blah-bla-blah-b-blah justification for trading away existing Jets talent.

No matter how flawed those players may have been, they are better than what Joe Douglas replaced them with.  That's the point.  That's how bad the situation is.

SAR I

Blah-blah-blah because it's true. Thats part of being a GM. You think the Jets would be better paying a D Lineman and a safety a combined 40 million a year? Get real. 

Just now, RevisIsland610 said:

Blah-blah-blah because it's true. Thats part of being a GM. You think the Jets would be better paying a D Lineman and a safety a combined 40 million a year? Get real. 

What difference does it make if their less expensive replacements suck?

A lesson learned from this Joe Douglas failure is that you can't just decide to solve your roster woes with a spreadsheet.  On paper, overpaying Jamal and Leo and keeping Sam and Robbie made no sense.  I get that. 

But in reality, those 4 players happy, contributing, and acting as franchise leaders as we brought onboard a ton of young players would have been the smarter move.  Might it have added another year to the rebuild?  Probably.  But would the young players coming onto the team be developing better and at a faster pace with those veterans here to guide them?  Definitely.

We'd be 2-1 right now if Jamal, Leo, Sam, and Robbie were New York Jets.  And the haul of players that trading #2 would have brought us would have given us a starting CB and RB too.

SAR I

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Yes but the way he did it, all at once basically, left a huge void of talent and veteran leadership. 

Plus when you gut a team you need to replace the costly players with at least serviceable players via picks and FA. In that respect he has really failed. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This.

He.  Can't.  Pick.  Players.

And it's not going to get any better.  Remember when the league was stunned when we fired Maccagnan right after the draft?  The one benefit of that was supposed to be that the new GM would have an unprecedented 10 months to prepare for his first draft and not get the customary 2 months that new GM's traditionally get.

And the 2020 draft will go down as one of the worst-  if not the worst-  in team history.

SAR I

This years class has some Potential. The Carters look good, AVT is improving after having no camp, Echols is flashing at times. These are early returns in some young players with very little veteran presence around them. 

6 minutes ago, Wit said:

This years class has some Potential. The Carters look good, AVT is improving after having no camp, Echols is flashing at times. These are early returns in some young players with very little veteran presence around them. 

Definitely.  I like the Carter's and have high hopes for Wilson and Moore too.  But outside of Wilson, none of the other three look like future NFL starters.  They look like good backups.  I think the rest of the NFL concurs based on their availability where we took them.

But it's deeper than that.  Joe Douglas was not shy when during his introductory press conference he announced that Job #1 was fixing the lines.  And he has spent 2.5 years and all our valuable draft and FA capital trying.  And he has failed completely.  We should have a Top 15 OL and DL right now.  And we don't.  The lines were better under Maccagnan.  And that's an awful thought.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Definitely.  I like the Carter's and have high hopes for Wilson and Moore too.  But outside of Wilson, none of the other three look like future NFL starters.  They look like good backups.  I think the rest of the NFL concurs based on their availability where we took them.

But it's deeper than that.  Joe Douglas was not shy when during his introductory press conference he announced that Job #1 was fixing the lines.  And he has spent 2.5 years and all our valuable draft and FA capital trying.  And he has failed completely.  We should have a Top 15 OL and DL right now.  And we don't.  The lines were better under Maccagnan.  And that's an awful thought.

SAR I

I’m literally burning mad about the line. I think the Carl Lawson injury was devastating  so I can’t blame him for the DL not being dominant but the o line is inexcusable. 
As a semi apologist I will say that he probably couldn’t get any of the top guys in free agency and he was aggressive in getting AVT. Alex Lewis retired with mental health issues and now becton is down.

that being said, they didn’t address TE which people like @Paradiswere screaming feom the rooftops about, and he kept drafting young defense and even Elijah Moore over O line that we should be developing right now. 
Protecting the QB in all ways (scheme, max protection, veteran presence) should be the ONLY priority this year.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

What difference does it make if their less expensive replacements suck?

A lesson learned from this Joe Douglas failure is that you can't just decide to solve your roster woes with a spreadsheet.  On paper, overpaying Jamal and Leo and keeping Sam and Robbie made no sense.  I get that. 

But in reality, those 4 players happy, contributing, and acting as franchise leaders as we brought onboard a ton of young players would have been the smarter move.  Might it have added another year to the rebuild?  Probably.  But would the young players coming onto the team be developing better and at a faster pace with those veterans here to guide them?  Definitely.

We'd be 2-1 right now if Jamal, Leo, Sam, and Robbie were New York Jets.  And the haul of players that trading #2 would have brought us would have given us a starting CB and RB too.

SAR I

The difference is that type of money not being spent on these players is a good thing. The defense has been ok and not the reason they have lost. It would be an absolute travesty paying Leo and Adams a combined 39 million a year. Maybe Sam and Robbie do enough that they win game 2 so now we are 1-2 with an extra 50 million in payroll. Does that make sense? The bottom line is having these players on the team would not move the needle much and would be financially irresponsible. 

5 minutes ago, Wit said:

I’m literally burning mad about the line. I think the Carl Lawson injury was devastating  so I can’t blame him for the DL not being dominant but the o line is inexcusable. 
As a semi apologist I will say that he probably couldn’t get any of the top guys in free agency and he was aggressive in getting AVT. Alex Lewis retired with mental health issues and now becton is down.

that being said, they didn’t address TE which people like @Paradiswere screaming feom the rooftops about, and he kept drafting young defense and even Elijah Moore over O line that we should be developing right now. 
Protecting the QB in all ways (scheme, max protection, veteran presence) should be the ONLY priority this year.

Good post, and taking it a step further:

Joe Douglas is the Football Man of Florham Park and he has a collaborative environment with Robert Saleh, Mike LaFleur, and Jeff Ulbrich.  If these guys knew that the roster, particularly the OL, was this shabby, they have no business trying to install sophisticated Shanahan principles of line play and fitting all those square pegs into round holes.

So either:

a) they are too stupid to realize this

b) they are too stubborn to change this

We are doomed.  Seriously.  It doesn't get any worse than this.

SAR I

28 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

no we wouldnt. not if you want to go by this years numbers so far.

Sam would be under the same OL that Wilson has. and we dont have a top 5 RB here. before we crown Sam lets see how he does against a good team with the same type of RB most of the league has.

Robbie has been invisible this year so far. Davis has 3 times the catches and more yards and TDs. 

and Leo hasnt been good either so far.

Jamal is the only one, be he cant cover so i dont know how he gets us a win on his own. 

31 minutes ago, Pichula said:

Carter looks ok as a situational backup. He doesn’t have the speed, size, or power to be a dominant #1 back 

Same with Moore… undersized and not special in terms or speed. I don’t see him being anything more than Jeremy Kerley 

Many other teams saw it this way also thats why they both were available. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

The difference is that type of money not being spent on these players is a good thing. The defense has been ok and not the reason they have lost. It would be an absolute travesty paying Leo and Adams a combined 39 million a year. Maybe Sam and Robbie do enough that they win game 2 so now we are 1-2 with an extra 50 million in payroll. Does that make sense? The bottom line is having these players on the team would not move the needle much and would be financially irresponsible. 

Yes, it all makes sense.  And it's redundant for me to say that all the responsible cap management in the world is rendered meaningless if the person picking the replacement players is unqualified for the position, so I won't.  Okay, I will.  

If Joe Douglas were a great player-picker, we wouldn't be having this conversation about cleaning up Maccagnan's roster.  But now that we can look back, we are now 3 years further behind our rebuild than when we started.  Getting rid of good players and replacing them with bad players means it's going to take 3 drafts and FA periods to get players of the caliber that we lost.  And now we're here.

SAR I

10 minutes ago, doitny said:

no we wouldnt. not if you want to go by this years numbers so far.

Sam would be under the same OL that Wilson has. and we dont have a top 5 RB here. before we crown Sam lets see how he does against a good team with the same type of RB most of the league has.

Robbie has been invisible this year so far. Davis has 3 times the catches and more yards and TDs. 

and Leo hasnt been good either so far.

Jamal is the only one, be he cant cover so i dont know how he gets us a win on his own. 

I'm no Panthers fan, but what I understand their line is as bad as ours right now due to their rebuild and their injuries.

Just as Sam is doing well under a brand new HC/OC/playbook so too might have he here in Florham Park, bringing a veteran calm to the huddle, running his dink-doink thing that he was pretty good at.

Robbie and Sam have chemistry, so it would be keeping the two of them together.  Again, new HC/OC/playbook.  Maybe they would be clicking here.

Leo has 12 sacks since leaving the Jets.  Do we even have 12 sacks as a team since then?

Jamal was our pass rush and would have helped us recruit quality free agents, the types that don't want to come here because of the way Joe Douglas has treated Keleche Osemele, Jamal Adams, Leonard Williams, and Marcus Maye.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, Claymation said:

And replace him with whom?

That's easy.  The answer:

Not Joe Douglas.  Anyone but him. 

We have one benefit of being NFL Siberia for General Managers-  we are always going to be picking from the dregs of the league, the Island of Misfit GM's.  It is imperative that we size up what we've got, make quick decisions, and turn them over lightning quick.

We've seen enough of Douglas to know that he sucks at player-picking.  Onto the next one.  Pay less next time.  Keep churning GM's every 24 months until we find one that hits on the draft (yes!) and hits at free agency (yes!) and give that one an extension.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

JD all the other teams are so dumb look who we just drafted. 

That's his entire philosophy, right?

He acts like he's smarter than the entire NFL and he's not. 

Like when he drafts falling players that other teams shockingly pass on.  Like when he gravitates to first and second rounders with unbelievably high ceilings but very risky low floors.  Like when he deliberately seeks free agents who have talent but a deep history of injuries.  Like when he bucks trends and chooses undersized, petite players at traditionally beefy positions.  Like when he takes a LT that's a meatball on toothpick legs.

This guy may look like a gentle and conservative man on TV, but in actual practice he is a high roller at a Vegas roulette table, betting the family mortgage on a single number.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

That's his entire philosophy, right?

He acts like he's smarter than the entire NFL and he's not. 

Like when he drafts falling players that other teams shockingly pass on.  Like when he gravitates to first and second rounders with unbelievably high ceilings but very risky low floors.  Like when he deliberately takes free agents who have talent but a deep history of injuries.

This guy may look like a gentle and conservative man on TV, but in actual practice he is a high roller at a Vegas roulette table, betting the family mortgage on a single number.

SAR I

It's time for Woody Johnson to do the right thing fire JD and tell Saleh to put LaFluer on notice.