***OFFICIAL*** FIRE JOE DOUGLAS THREAD

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

So, you would expect “certainty” after one season?

Joe Douglas has been here 3 years.  Two drafts, three free agency periods.

And he inherited a rebuild-in-progress where Mike Maccagnan had already started gutting the roster and stockpiling draft capital per the orders of Christopher Johnson in 2017.

And he had more time than any GM in NFL history to prepare for his first draft having been shockingly hired right after the draft.

And his 2020 draft looks terrible.  And his table-scraps approach to free agency looks terrible.  

And he took a 7 win team built by a moron and turned it into a 2 win team that most think can only be capable of 5 wins this year.

That's one sh-t resume.

SAR I

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 6

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

And he inherited a rebuild-in-progress where Mike Maccagnan had already started gutting the roster and stockpiling draft capital per the orders of Christopher Johnson in 2017.

And he had more time than any GM in NFL history to prepare for his first draft having been shockingly hired right after the draft.

And his 2020 draft looks terrible.  And his table-scraps approach to free agency looks terrible.  

And he took a 7 win team built by a moron and turned it into a 2 win team that most think can only be capable of 5 wins this year.

That's one sh-t resume.

SAR I

Your math skills aren't a strong suit.   

Can you stop with the 7 win team shlt, makes you look, well you know

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/12/2021 at 1:22 PM, Jet Nut said:

So obviously he had a better day two than day one.  You know like all rookie QBs.  

And hes playing against the twos, so theres that

NY press would have changed the Fields narrative.  3 tweets reviewing his practice and no one charted comps and atts.  

Justin Fields in the regular season facing actual NFL defenses instead of practice squad fodder

ED7D8E94-7C3F-40DC-BADC-BDE2DABC225F.jpeg

• Thumb Down 2

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

That's one sh-t resume.

SAR I

Becton is going to be a really good Left Tackle.  I think jury is still out on Mims - he had a bad TC but if he makes a play when the games actually count that has a tendency to change things quickly 

I agree the whiffs from the ‘20 draft look bad but if Becton and Mims both pan out it’s not even close to one of our worst drafts

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Your math skills aren't a strong suit.   

Can you stop with the 7 win team shlt, makes you look, well you know

The 2019 Jets squad had one of the easiest schedules in the league ( tied for 31 if I remember correctly) and lost to not one but two winless teams during that season not a real stellar record or quite an achievement to constantly hang ones hat on 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Post draft does not count as a free agency period. 

In 2019 Joe Douglas signed bust Ryan Kalil, f-ed up the K position costing us 3 games, and traded Leonard Williams. 

I wish he didn’t do anything.  Would have been far better off.   

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

I agree the whiffs from the ‘20 draft look bad but if Becton and Mims both pan out it’s not even close to one of our worst drafts

A team that’s been in a deep rebuild since 2017 “Suck For Sam” can’t afford the brand new hotshot GM to blow the 2020 draft.  We were supposed to be ascending by then.  We didn’t need to become an expansion team.  Douglas did that all by himself. 

Mike Maccagnan and John Idzik could have taken Becton and Mims, hell, you could have too.  The ‘genius’ GM’s nail the later rounds and find gold where others don’t.  Oops. 

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, CSNY said:

The 2019 Jets squad had one of the easiest schedules in the league ( tied for 31 if I remember correctly) and lost to not one but two winless teams during that season not a real stellar record or quite an achievement to constantly hang ones hat on 

List the injuries.  List the coaches that aren’t even in the league anymore.  

That roster was good enough to win 7 games despite awful health and awful coaching.  So with a schedule easier than 2019 this year we damned well better win more than 8 games or it’s an indictment on Joe Douglas and a continued indicator that he’s a strong negotiator and a weak player picker.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

That's one sh-t resume.

SAR I

You consider June the FA period? He was hired June 7th. All the FA are gone by then. That’s around the time OTAs are going on.

If you don’t think he’s done a good job, that’s fine. It’s an opinion. But he’s had 2 drafts and 2 free agency period. 

• Upvote 2

In all fairness, Jury is out on JD.

There is a weird cult following in the fan base that overlooks whiffs on draft picks, bad signings and a clear total disregard for suring up special teams. ie..see K situation. Then there is the fact the Jets have been just as terrible if not worse since he got here record wise.

On the flip he drafted Moore and Wilson which are looking strong. As I have always said, if JD hits on Wilson he will be given more time. I think 2022 is a huge year draft wise. We have a lot of picks. If Jets aren’t competing in 2021 or 2022, we gotta start looking inward to the front office on lack of wins. I get patience, but to say it should take a GM 5-6 years to make the playoffs is absurd. On top of that, isn’t a franchise goal the super bowl? When’s that the possibility.

In my opinion when you get off your short sighted view of one trade of one player that this fan base hated he’s had a very average run as GM up to now. 

Eventually “cap space” “draft capital” and “culture” type phrases are going to get old if you still can’t win football games.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That roster was good enough to win 7 games despite awful health and awful coaching.  So with a schedule easier than 2019 this year we damned well better win more than 8 games or it’s an indictment on Joe Douglas and grounds for his removal.  

SAR I

We're going to find out a LOT about Joe Douglas during the 2021 season. The honeymoon for Joe is over. He better start hitting in the draft and free agency. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

We're going to find out a LOT about Joe Douglas during the 2021 season. The honeymoon for Joe is over. He better start hitting in the draft and free agency. 

THIS

He’s cute and cuddly and says all the right things and is the type of dude you would want to hang out with in your fantasy league.

But he inherited a rebuild already in progress, a strong amount of draft capital, good cap space, and a roster capable of 7 wins when injured beyond recognition and he drove it into the ground in ‘19 and ‘20.  Half our roster will be first or second year players in ‘21.  We are an expansion team.

This had better work starting right now.  Anyone can tear down a roster and build draft assets; picking the right players is what matters and if the ‘20 draft is any indication we are in huge trouble.   

SAR I 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

THIS

He’s cute and cuddly and says all the right things and is the type of dude you would want to hang out with in your fantasy league.

But he inherited a rebuild already in progress, a strong amount of draft capital, good cap space, and a roster capable of 7 wins when injured beyond recognition and he drove it into the ground in ‘19 and ‘20.  Half our roster will be first or second year players in ‘21.  We are an expansion team.

This had better work starting right now.  Anyone can tear down a roster and build draft assets; picking the right players is what matters and if the ‘20 draft is any indication we are in huge trouble.   

SAR I 

Who is left over from Mac's great rebuild?  This team has drafted like crap the last 10 years, you can't expect it to be fixed in 2 years.  He has his coach and QB so you have to give him at least another 2 years to see how his last 2 drafts pan out.

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Last years draft is a bad look.  If the fat kid turns out to be a great LT and can stay on the field it overshadows a lot of other misses.    

See, this is where people are sounding like SOJ fans...

You can't, and WON'T hit on every draft pick.  That is the reality.  The best teams hit on about 50 percent of there picks every year.  SOJ fans bitch when we draft players who clearly aren't working, but a GM sticks with them.  SOJ fans bitch when we draft players who clearly aren't working, and the GM lets them go to make room for better talent.  SOJ fans inevitably then bitch why we haven't changed the GM's again after year three.

You can't have it both ways: You can't complain when a GM keeps his mistakes because he doesn't want to look like he makes mistakes, and then complain when the GM lets go of the dead wood and admits his mistakes.  

3 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

See, this is where people are sounding like SOJ fans...

You can't, and WON'T hit on every draft pick.  That is the reality.  The best teams hit on about 50 percent of there picks every year.  SOJ fans bitch when we draft players who clearly aren't working, but a GM sticks with them.  SOJ fans bitch when we draft players who clearly aren't working, and the GM lets them go to make room for better talent.  SOJ fans inevitably then bitch why we haven't changed the GM's again after year three.

You can't have it both ways: You can't complain when a GM keeps his mistakes because he doesn't want to look like he makes mistakes, and then complain when the GM lets go of the dead wood and admits his mistakes.  

Lets take your 50% pulled out of your ear number.  The NFL awards draft position.  The more you suck the higher up you draft in each round.  The more you suck the more opportunity for drafted players to make the roster.  

If the best teams are hitting at 50% the worst teams need to hit at a higher level with the same quality GM.  The best teams are drafting later in each round and have less room for draft picks to make the roster.

Granted 50% would be fantastic in my opinion.  A draft where you get 1 quality starter on a team that sucks and you're drafting early in each round ain't great.  

What's really SOJ is how often the Jets own the offseason and suck during the season.   Bottom line at some point we need to knock on the playoff door.  

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

THIS

SAR I 

At this point in time, we can say that the 2020 draft yielded a starting LT and CB, 2 of the hardest positions to fill. If Mims, Davis, Mann and Perine become legit contributors, it’s certainly not a “bust” draft. 

JD was given a 6 year deal. When you have 6 years, you’re going to build slowly through the draft. His approach is a result of a management decision. If you’re unhappy and inpatient, be unhappy and inpatient at ownership. JD is doing exactly what he sold Woody/Chris on.

35 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That roster was good enough to win 7 games despite awful health and awful coaching.  So with a schedule easier than 2019 this year we damned well better win more than 8 games or it’s an indictment on Joe Douglas and a continued indicator that he’s a strong negotiator and a weak player picker.  

SAR I

The strength of schedule is still to be determined for this year. Injuries and retirement have already hurt this team prior to season starting so if you are blaming injuries for 2019 season keep that in mind for this year as well 

One question who would you rather have running the team this staff or the previous 

And this 8 game mandate is foolish 

54 minutes ago, SAR I said:

In 2019 Joe Douglas signed bust Ryan Kalil, f-ed up the K position costing us 3 games, and traded Leonard Williams. 

SAR I

He was left without a C so took a chance.  It failed, so what.  Was it your money, did it stop him from making other moves?  This is the lamest complaint someone can make trying to make a point.  

K position?  No again, Macc screwed that position, leaving a K behind who retired during camp.  He was left scrambling trying to find another K, grabbed one that was 4rh draft pick 

If he did nothing, like your wish, who was going to kick?  Explain how much better off we would have been as the first NFL team without a kicker.  How many more wins would we have had without Kalil?

16 minutes ago, CSNY said:

One question who would you rather have running the team this staff or the previous 

This staff is “the previous” because Joe Douglas has been here three years.  He cost us games in 2019.  He took a promising 7 win team down to a pathetic 2 wins in 2020.  Experts think we’re good for a measly 5 wins in 2021. 

I have been on board for every other nonsensical attempt that every other general manager has tried for the last 40 years so, why not, let’s try it this way.  Let’s beg and overpay some Philadelphia Eagles scout to come in here, tear us down to 1960-caliber AFL rebuild status, and then rebuild us up in his image. But if that guy doesn’t know what he’s doing in player personnel and continues to have such a low hit rate, by the time he’s fired it will set this organization back decades.  We have traded places with the Cleveland Browns.  No one should be happy.  

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

This staff is “the previous” because Joe Douglas has been here three years.  He cost us games in 2019.  He took a promising 7 win team down to a pathetic 2 wins in 2020.  Experts think we’re good for a measly 5 wins in 2021. 

drunk saturday night live GIF

22 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Lets take your 50% pulled out of your ear number.  The NFL awards draft position.  The more you suck the higher up you draft in each round.  The more you suck the more opportunity for drafted players to make the roster.  

If the best teams are hitting at 50% the worst teams need to hit at a higher level with the same quality GM.  The best teams are drafting later in each round and have less room for draft picks to make the roster.

Granted 50% would be fantastic in my opinion.  A draft where you get 1 quality starter on a team that sucks and you're drafting early in each round ain't great.  

What's really SOJ is how often the Jets own the offseason and suck during the season.   Bottom line at some point we need to knock on the playoff door.  

Plus 1 here....especially on the last point. 

Its SOJF to be so happy about preseason, camp, drafts, and NOT about winning games in the actual season when it matters. This is all about winning and losing. Everything else is secondary. 

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

That's one sh-t resume.

SAR I

Let's look at each point 1 by 1...

1. He inherited the worst situation in the NFL, was not remotely close to a rebuild in progress.
  2. His 2020 draft is fine, potentially exceptional.     There will be SIX high level contributing players from a SEVEN round draft (Becton, Mims, Perine, Hall, Huff and Mann) if that holds beyond this year those are HOF GM type numbers. 
  3. He literally just signed the TOP Pass Rusher and WR from the FA market (not exactly table scraps)
  4. The reality is he's been tearing down and unwinding the mess that was left for him for the past two years. This is the first year of the rebuild.  If done right, It was always going to get worse before it got better.  He's playing the long game, not the 1 WC every four or five years typical Jets system, done to keep the fan base at bay.
  5. He has 2 1st, 2 2nd, a 3rd and 2 4th's next year.  If this draft is as good as 2020 and how 2021 looks to be - we will be in very good shape

What I've stated are undeniable facts.  You're either deceitful/trolling or just absolutely ignorant.  I believe it's the former so this is the only response you'll get from me...

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I have been on board for every other nonsensical attempt that every other general manager has tried for the last 40 years so, why not, let’s try it this way.  Let’s beg and overpay some Philadelphia Eagles scout to come in here, tear us down to 1960-caliber AFL rebuild status, and then rebuild us up in his image. But if that guy doesn’t know what he’s doing in player personnel and continues to have such a low hit rate, by the time he’s fired it will set this organization back decades.  We have traded places with the Cleveland Browns.  No one should be happy.  

SAR I

The previous regime and Coach set us back that why it needed a total overhaul 

The team was already constructed in JD first year as he didn’t control the draft nor free agency The entire organization had to be torn down from front office to scouts coaches and player personnel as it was mired in subpar players and salary cap issues  

Your assessment of a promising team which went 7-9 with one of the easiest schedules in the league is a team that would be stuck in mediocrity if the organization didn’t change its view on the direction of this team and its viability for long term success which in my opinion is underway and only time will tell if it comes to fruition 

Last I looked the Browns after it’s last organization change has hired a intelligent smart football man with vision on how a team is to be constructed is now a viable Super Bowl contender. I believe JD will be that guy for us 

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

That's one sh-t resume.

SAR I

As over the top you like to approach this subject this post isn’t terribly inaccurate. Yet, nothing you say here really matters in the long run.

If Joe Douglas hits on Zach Wilson and the stadium fills up with #2 jerseys and Zach’s on television commercials 24/7 eating Cheetos with friends with Joe Douglas sound asleep in a Lazyboy chair  at a make shift living room on the 50 yard line of Met Life stadium? All Joe’s sins will be forgiven!

The NFL and more importantly Woody and Chris wants Zach to be the new face of the NFL and if he plays up to it then Joe Douglas will get at least the rest of his contract to finish the team. Like it or not, that’s just the way it is. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Like I said, he didn't have a free agency period. Pulling a guy out of retirement because your predecessor didn't address the position is not his fault. He was trying to be creative.

Trading a fat DL has nothing to do with free agency, and it was a GREAT move.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

In all fairness, Jury is out on JD.

I agree with you. I like the guy, and I a see an actual plan in place, but he has to hit on his mid round picks for this team to be successful. His first draft was abysmal in the mid rounds. 

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

There is a weird cult following in the fan base that overlooks whiffs on draft picks, bad signings and a clear total disregard for suring up special teams. ie..see K situation. Then there is the fact the Jets have been just as terrible if not worse since he got here record wise.

I am fully aware of his whiffs. The only reason why it doesn't concern me as much as it might for someone else is the fact that he was drafting for a different head coach and defensive coordinator. As bad as some of his 2020 draft picks were, the 2021 draft seems to be more promising. If the 2021 draft ends up being like the 2020 draft, there will be legitimacy to any criticism of JD. As far as the kicking situation is concerned, he has sh*t the bed, and the only thing that I could think of that could possibly justify that is being in tank mode for this rebuild. In his defense about his record since being here, he had Adam Gase as a head coach, and Sam Darnold as his QB.

• Upvote 2