***OFFICIAL*** FIRE JOE DOUGLAS THREAD

1 minute ago, Claymation said:

If Zach looks like a legitimate QB with the potential of being a Top 10 QB, Do you really care what the record is this year?

Tell that to Lions and Raiders fans who witness Matthew Stafford and Derek Carr being perennial Top 10 quarterbacks under GM's who can't build a team around them.

The Ravens, Steelers, and Patriots succeed with cap-strapping and poor draft position because they have GM's who can find diamonds in the rough and turn them into strong NFL starters.  A GM picking the right quarterback with the #2 pick in the draft isn't what we need.  We need a GM who can find the next Arian Foster, John Randle, or Antonio Gates.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Tell that to Lions and Raiders fans who witness Matthew Stafford and Derek Carr being perennial Top 10 quarterbacks under GM's who can't build a team around them.

The Ravens, Steelers, and Patriots succeed with cap-strapping and poor draft position because they have GM's who can find diamonds in the rough and turn them into strong NFL starters.  A GM picking the right quarterback with the #2 pick in the draft isn't what we need.  We need a GM who can find the next Arian Foster, John Randle, or Antonio Gates.

SAR I

I thought i heard someone talking ? ... Did anyone else hear that ?

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Didn't say he couldn't build a team around him, but if Zach performs well and has a true understanding of the position, do you care what the record is? Obviously you do, but should the vast majority? This team is loaded with 1st and 2nd year players, they will make mistakes. It's inevitable. They are going to lose games because of these mistakes whether mental or physical. But I expect this team to be competitive in games, actually I look forward to it. It will be a far departure from the past few years.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

We're already well past that point.  Anyone who comes here is overpaid and over-valued.  Douglas was a scout.  Saleh a coordinator.  LaFleur very junior.  The Jets are forced to take big chances on people that the NFL is meh on because it's the only way we can get anyone to come here.

So it's time to accept that that's who we are, the team no one wants to coach or run the FO for.  And there is something liberating about that.  Because we can continue to be that 2-year-prove-it franchise and just keep cycling HC's and GM's in and out of here until the blind squirrel gets it right.

SAR I

Yeah, that will work.  Did you go to the same school as the Johnson's?  It sounds EERILY familiar.

The one thing winning franchises have is stability.  But by all means, let's use the complete opposite methodology, and hope a blind squirrel gets hired.  Sounds like a very 'upper-managerial' way to do things!

• Upvote 2

@SAR I I get your schtick but your eternal love for Gase is completely blinding you.

This is not year 5 of the rebuild, its year 2... Mac did so much damage to the entire roster that they had to replace the entire team. You can keep pushing you agenda, but you know this is the truth. If there was any salvageable pieces they would have been picked up by other teams.  Please give me a list of these players that are so worthy of keeping that it was a huge mistake to let go?

That is the reality. When Mac dropped a player he never played football again, let alone for another team. Most of idzik and Macs drafted players don't even play in the NFL. That is not a failing of JD, but of the previous GMs.

Don't be blind to the disaster this franchise was left in after Mac was fired. JD has had 2 years to clean this up and he decided to start a new franchise from scratch, thats why he got a 6 year contract. 

He was stuck with a Draft Class he didn't draft in 2019, in 2020 he was stuck with a coach that can't even get a coordinator job in the NFL and now he finally has all his personnel and players... This is the first year that should be evaluated in the JD era... 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Ok, so who checks the boxes for you at GM? Three candidates SAR, who do have?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Didn't say he couldn't build a team around him, but if Zach performs well and has a true understanding of the position, do you care what the record is? Obviously you do, but should the vast majority? This team is loaded with 1st and 2nd year players, they will make mistakes. It's inevitable. They are going to lose games because of these mistakes whether mental or physical. But I expect this team to be competitive in games, actually I look forward to it. It will be a far departure from the past few years.

If Joe Douglas had the "amazing" 2020 offseason that so many experts here think he did, and if Joe Douglas had the "unbelievable" 2021 offseason that so many experts here think he did, we are ready to win 8 games and compete for a wildcard right now.

Tony Romo says we have the next Mahomes on the roster.  Adam Schecter says we have the next OBJ on the roster.  Fans say Saleh is the second coming of Lombardi.  Time to win.  Starting now.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 2

40 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

The one thing winning franchises have is stability.  But by all means, let's use the complete opposite methodology, and hope a blind squirrel gets hired.  Sounds like a very 'upper-managerial' way to do things!

See Eagles, Philadelphia.

They won the exact same number of Super Bowls as the Saints did with Drew Brees doing it the "right way".

SAR I

20 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I get your schtick but your eternal love for Gase is completely blinding you.

It's not schtick and I never liked Adam Gase.

20 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

This is not year 5 of the rebuild, its year 2... Mac did so much damage to the entire roster that they had to replace the entire team.

Ah, the team that went 7-9 with the Worst Head Coach Who Ever Lived and would have gone 10-6 and gotten into the playoffs if not for mononucleosis, Kare Vedvik, and 18 players on IR.  Wake me when Joe Douglas drafts players as good as Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye.  Low bar.  Shouldn't be hard.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If Joe Douglas had the "amazing" 2020 offseason that so many experts here think he did, and if Joe Douglas had the "unbelievable" 2021 offseason that so many experts here think he did, we are ready to win 8 games and compete for a wildcard right now.

Tony Romo says we have the next Mahomes on the roster.  Adam Schecter says we have the next OBJ on the roster.  Fans say Saleh is the second coming of Lombardi.  Time to win.  Starting now.

SAR I

The team should be competitive, but because of the inexperience of all the young players, I just don't see that translating in wins.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Ok, so who checks the boxes for you at GM? Three candidates SAR, who do have?

Some nobody in some front office somewhere who isn't qualified and will be all that we can get in 2023.  

That's how it goes for us.  We are Blind Squirrels.  The sooner we move on to the next one, the sooner we may find that nut.  We don't have the time to waste, remember?  We screamed for Gase's head after 4 measly games.  We're not giving his self-appointed yes man 4 f----ing years.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Claymation said:

The team should be competitive, but because of the inexperience of all the young players, I just don't see that translating in wins.

The Yankees were supposed to be in a long rebuild after Jeter and the Core Four retired.  Young, inexperienced players turned them into instant championship contenders.

The Rangers were supposed to be in a long rebuild after Lundqvist and the 10's contenders broke up.  Young, inexperienced players turned them into immediate playoff contenders.

If you have a talented GM and he has 3 years of free agent impact and 2 years of draft impacts, the progress should be visible in the form of wins.  Wins.  8 of them.

SAR I

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

I don't want him fired, I just want Jets fans to stop throwing roses at his feet.

The time for Joe Douglas accountability is now.  If we open 0-4, airplanes better fly, billboards better go up.

SAR I

0-4 is a distinct possibility. If it goes bad to start the season I don't think that we hear a word from JD until the bye and then it'll be to reiterate his re-building excuse. 

I want to see JD's FA and draft picks look good this season and after the 2022 draft and FA I expect this team be a serious contender or we should move on from JD.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Joe D has presided over two drafts so far. Only one draft class has played in actual games. Whether or not Joe D can find diamonds in the rough remains to be seen ... Bryce Hall is his best candidate so far on that front, given that he has played meaningful time and will be a starter this year.

We need Joe to pick the right QB at #2 AND fill out the roster with a few hidden gems too. We'll need to wait and see how this year's class pan out before we can get a steer on either.

• Upvote 1

The Yankees were supposed to be in a long rebuild after Jeter and the Core Four retired.  Young, inexperienced players turned them into instant championship contenders.
The Rangers were supposed to be in a long rebuild after Lundqvist and the 10's contenders broke up.  Young, inexperienced players turned them into immediate playoff contenders.
If you have a talented GM and he has 3 years of free agent impact and 2 years of draft impacts, the progress should be visible in the form of wins.  Wins.  8 of them.
SAR I

Did I say the Jets were supposed to be in a long rebuild?

You keep saying that JD had 3 free agency. Well Free Agency starts in March where all the good players get signed hence the term “Free Agency Frenzy”. Joe was hired two months after that in May where there was a dearth of talent left.

If I asked a 1st grader, who passed calendar, how many months separate mid-March and mid-May? The 1st grader would say 2 months. That 1st grader would also say that there is bupkis left in Free Agency because all the good players were had in the 1st 72 hours of free agency.

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Did I say the Jets were supposed to be in a long rebuild?

You keep saying that JD had 3 free agency. Well Free Agency starts in March where all the good players get signed hence the term “Free Agency Frenzy”. Joe was hired two months after that in May where there was a dearth of talent left.

If I asked a 1st grader, who passed calendar, how many months separate mid-March and mid-May? The 1st grader would say 2 months. That 1st grader would also say that there is bupkis left in Free Agency because all the good players were had in the 1st 72 hours of free agency.

June actually.

https://www.nfl.com/news/joe-douglas-hired-as-jets-next-general-manager-0ap3000001033141

• Upvote 1

This thread is full of the phrase “the right way”. What does that even mean? Did the giants winning a super bowl as an average team do it the right way? Did the bucs bringing in vets do it the right way? Did the ravens do it the right way with Flacco? Did the Eagles do it the Right way? 

Stop with repeating what you hear on sports radio as gospel with terms like “teams doing it the right way” . There is no right way. Teams that win find their own ways. 

• Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

We're already well past that point.  Anyone who comes here is overpaid and over-valued.  Douglas was a scout.  Saleh a coordinator.  LaFleur very junior.  The Jets are forced to take big chances on people that the NFL is meh on because it's the only way we can get anyone to come here.

So it's time to accept that that's who we are, the team no one wants to coach or run the FO for.  And there is something liberating about that.  Because we can continue to be that 2-year-prove-it franchise and just keep cycling HC's and GM's in and out of here until the blind squirrel gets it right.

SAR I

So you really prefer that? False hope until they “get it right”?! Why not just let a blind squirrel draft and pick free agents too then? How is that any different?

8 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

This thread is full of the phrase “the right way”. What does that even mean? Did the giants winning a super bowl as an average team do it the right way? Did the bucs bringing in vets do it the right way? Did the ravens do it the right way with Flacco? Did the Eagles do it the Right way? 

Stop with repeating what you hear on sports radio as gospel with terms like “teams doing it the right way” . There is no right way. Teams that win find their own ways. 

Do you want to do a deep dive into how the ravens are run? How the giants used to be run? How the eagles were run when JD was there and second in command? (Hint- it was a lot better than the Jets feom the ground up.)

Tampa already had a great defense in place, they plucked a great DC who sucked as a HC, then they got rid of their QB who threw for 5000 yards under a tested veteran HC because he gave up as many turnovers as TDs as he threw and replaced him with the BEST QB of ALL TIME. If you need a refresher, we tried that too when we traded for Brett Favre, and we would have traded the farm for deshaun Watson as well if he LET us, and THEN the massage BS would have come out. We were a joke. We were even a joke when we were WINNING under Rex because he was such a clown. I didn’t care, but it’s so reminiscent of the way the Mets always seem to be as well. (Thank god I’m a Yankees fan). 

So everyone who wants to “get lucky” and get that super bowl and then suck for another eternity j rio the next one, be my guest. 

I want to be good and have a shot every year and then win one every so often. 

17 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I think "the right way" means trying to build a perennial contender, rather than a one-hit-wonder like the Eagles. Or, a better comparison might be the 09-11 Jets. That team was built to win in a small window, but then the talent quickly dropped off because the cupboards were bare AF because so much of the draft capital was used to trade for mercenaries making the bloated roster top-heavy, and then Sanchez hit his ceiling due to either poor roster management/development or he wasn't worth drafting anyway (take your pick).

To be a perennial contender, you need to be able to build a team through the draft, because those value rookie deals give more flexibility in constructing the roster with more expensive talent at certain positions, and it all starts with the QB, and investing in resources that directly help him, i.e. the O-line, weapons. JD at least seems to understand that much.

• Upvote 1