***OFFICIAL*** FIRE JOE DOUGLAS THREAD

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The GM isn't getting fired, but he's been terrible.  It really is hard to argue that he's been anything but bad.

Sorry but its just to early to decide if JD's picks dont pan out.  It will take a few years to make a final determination. They gave Macc 5 years.  He was totally clueless.  JD is light years a better GM than Macc was. Not saying much because Macc was THAT BAD.  If JD's record doesnt improve considerably by the end of 2023, then you move on.       

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Maynard13 said:

Sorry but its just to early to decide if JD's picks dont pan out.  It will take a few years to make a final determination. They gave Macc 5 years.  He was totally clueless.  JD is light years a better GM than Macc was. Not saying much because Macc was THAT BAD.  If JD's record doesnt improve considerably by the end of 2023, then you move on.       

I don't disagree.  But what I said is hasn't been anything but bad.  I've seen nothing good from him so far.  Now maybe that changes - if some of these picks produce sure, but through 3 years, there's close to nothing I can point to that's positive.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because you get you head around that hes had two drafts and a roster that had to be completely redone from the QB position on down

Instead of taking it in and understanding this you come up with hes worse than Idzik.  Congrats.

He didn't have to completely redo the roster, he chose to. He could have kept Robby and Darnorld but he decided to be a prick and flex his power by getting rid of the few decent players we had.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

What makes Joe Douglas a better GM than Macc?

Because at this point, macc had already made better signings, drafted better players, the team had a better record and looked better.

Macc was not a good GM. But what tangible thing has Douglas done that makes him better?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Because at this point, macc had already made better signings, drafted better players, the team had a better record and looked better.

Macc was not a good GM. But what tangible thing has Douglas done that makes him better?

He fired Gase and got 2#1's for Adams.  That alone is good enough for the Jets Ring of Fame.

1 minute ago, STLuLu said:

He didn't have to completely redo the roster, he chose to. He could have kept Robby and Darnorld but he decided to be a prick and flex his power by getting rid of the few decent players we had.

This.

Darnold, Robbie, and Gase and the Jets have a winning record right now.

No,  we wouldn't want Darnold and Gase for the long haul.  But Gase was a very good rebuilding head coach, he was good at keeping a broken team motivated and playing hard, he fixed Darnold after the 'ghosts' game and 16 players on IR to a 6-2 finish, and Saleh, LaFleur, and Ulrich are in over their heads in a similar situation.

During a multi-year rebuild, there is a specific time that you change your head coach and your quarterback and this season wasn't it.  As you said, Douglas' arrogance has been his undoing.  He targets players with injury histories, he picks dwarf players at skill positions, he collects low round draft picks and blows them, he jumped the gun on a high risk rookie head coach, he was tempted by a hero quarterback, everything he has done has been wrong.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

Macc overspent and went win-now, it only worked for a year or so.  He made a big mess.  Went from Exec of the Year to hated and fired.

Joe Douglas comes in and cleans up Macc's mess.  Everyone loves him.

Joe Douglas slowly starts to make his own mess.  People will turn on him.

JD's secret weapon is two-fold.  1) He got himself a long contract that will allow him to draft his own QB and hire his own HC.  2) By changing both the HC and the QB he may get a chance to whiff on one as long as the other looks good and still keep his job.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

This.  They spend soooo much time talking about Maccagnan and Gase and they ignore the mess that is Douglas and Saleh.

Joe Douglas has been here 30 months.  And the team he built in his image is 3-18 headed to 3-30.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't disagree.  But what I said is hasn't been anything but bad.  I've seen nothing good from him so far.  Now maybe that changes - if some of these picks produce sure, but through 3 years, there's close to nothing I can point to that's positive.

Really its 2 years. The first year was a total complete wash.  He practically had to turn the roster completely over.  He made the decision to get rid of Darnold and hire Saleh and go with his approach.  Really cant blame him.  As if there was any other choice.  We're just going to have to be patient.  It's hard to watch righ now but I really think it will come together and get better over the course of the year.  And over the next 2 years, we have plenty of picks and cash and these kids will grow as will Saleh.     

6 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

You forget that Macc had a 10-6 record under his belt. Teams that go 10-6 the majority of the time make the playoffs. Hell, we've seen teams with a 6-10 make the playoffs before. Just goes to show how much bad luck this team has by winning 10 games and still not getting in. Macc also had a 7-9 record, which I don't even see Douglas getting close to that many wins. Also, regardless how bad you think Macc was, at lease he spent money on FAs and tried to put good players on the field, where as Douglas didn't even try this past off season to sign good players to make this team better. He took the cheap route and now is paying for it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, STLuLu said:

You forget that Macc had a 10-6 record under his belt. Teams that go 10-6 the majority of the time make the playoffs. Hell, we've seen teams with a 6-10 make the playoffs before. Just goes to show how much bad luck this team has by winning 10 games and still not getting in. Macc also had a 7-9 record, which I don't even see Douglas getting close to that many wins. Also, regardless how bad you think Macc was, at lease he spent money on FAs and tried to put good players on the field, where as Douglas didn't even try this past off season to sign good players to make this team better. He took the cheap route and now is paying for it. 

Joe Douglas has been here 30 months.  And the team he built in his image is 3-18 headed to 3-30.

Honestly, that's all that needs to be said.  Bringing Maccagnan into this discussion when his roster is long gone is just a distraction.  Every player that's on this roster is here because of Joe Douglas.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Really its 2 years. The first year was a total complete wash.  He practically had to turn the roster completely over.  He made the decision to get rid of Darnold and hire Saleh and go with his approach.  Really cant blame him.  As if there was any other choice.  We're just going to have to be patient.  It's hard to watch righ now but I really think it will come together and get better over the course of the year.  And over the next 2 years, we have plenty of picks and cash and these kids will grow as will Saleh.     

If you want to think he's been good so be it.

I haven't given up on him and not calling for him to be fired - but he hasn't been good or anything particularly well.

Trading Sam and taking ZW was a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

And while he was in his first year - he did make plenty of mistakes...like luring a center of our retirement to waste $10mm...

To date the negatives far outweigh the positive.  Surely that can change, but right now it's not looking good.

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Macc overspent and went win-now, it only worked for a year or so.  He made a big mess.  Went from Exec of the Year to hated and fired.

Joe Douglas comes in and cleans up Macc's mess.  Everyone loves him.

Joe Douglas slowly starts to make his own mess.  People will turn on him.

JD's secret weapon is two-fold.  1) He got himself a long contract that will allow him to draft his own QB and hire his own HC.  2) By changing both the HC and the QB he may get a chance to whiff on one as long as the other looks good and still keep his job.

What mess did he clean up? He just added to the mess like someone painting over someone else's graffiti with their own graffiti. Macc did overspend but at lease he tried to win. What is Douglas trying to do? He certainly isn't trying to win. He definitely hasn't made this team better than last year's team.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This.

Darnold, Robbie, and Gase and the Jets have a winning record right now.

No,  we wouldn't want Darnold and Gase for the long haul.  But Gase was a very good rebuilding head coach, he was good at keeping a broken team motivated and playing hard, he fixed Darnold after the 'ghosts' game and 16 players on IR to a 6-2 finish, and Saleh, LaFleur, and Ulrich are in over their heads in a similar situation.

During a multi-year rebuild, there is a specific time that you change your head coach and your quarterback and this season wasn't it.  As you said, Douglas' arrogance has been his undoing.  He targets players with injury histories, he picks dwarf players at skill positions, he collects low round draft picks and blows them, he jumped the gun on a high risk rookie head coach, he was tempted by a hero quarterback, everything he has done has been wrong.

SAR I

fuc& Gase.  That is all.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Im still not getting my head around Davis/Cole signings with Mims/Moore picks. I’d rather suck watching Mims/Moore struggle/making plays/developing. Im prob in the minority but that’s just me.

They were barren at the WR position.  Davis was a decent signing. Cole was as well and helps provide some veteran prescence in the short term while the younger guys, Moore and Mims, develop.  Actually, a smart move by JD.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

fuc& Gase.  That is all.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't fly anymore.  For the last two years that was your built-in excuse.  But it's 2021 and time to stop talking about the guy.  You were wrong.  All of you were.  He wasn't the problem.  Douglas was.

Joe Douglas is headed to a 3-30 record with a roster he built himself.  Talk about that.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

No one wants to count 2019 which is strange to me

The full JD record is then actually worse.....3-18.

Awful

2019 doesnt count because JD wasnt involved in the draft and had little input with the coaching staff and little time to evaluate what he was working with. And he had to deal with a ruined Qb and a moron HC.  Now that's a recipe for success?  

Just now, Maynard13 said:

2019 doesnt count because JD wasnt involved in the draft and had little input with the coaching staff and little time to evaluate what he was working with. And he had to deal with a ruined Qb and a moron HC.  Now that's a recipe for success?  

Funny that the 2109 Jets beat the 2021 Jets 

Thats progress for sure 

• Post of the Week 1

They were barren at the WR position.  Davis was a decent signing. Cole was as well and helps provide some veteran prescence in the short term while the younger guys, Moore and Mims, develop.  Actually, a smart move by JD.

Def disagree but just differ opinions. I’d have rathered an interior OL that can play from the wallet. But I get you.  It just irks me asset wise 

8 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Im still not getting my head around Davis/Cole signings with Mims/Moore picks. I’d rather suck watching Mims/Moore struggle/making plays/developing. Im prob in the minority but that’s just me.

Now that I see what Davis is I couldn't agree more with this statement.

I was told Davis was a borderline true #1 WR, even though his team didn't even make him an offer, I believed what I was being told...and I really wanted support for Wilson...

Knowing what I know now, Davis is bad for Wilson's development....would much rather see Mims catching the ball than watching Davis drop it.

9 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

No one wants to count 2019 which is strange to me

The full JD record is then actually worse.....3-18.

Awful

I'm not a Douglas fanboy. But to be fair, the 2019 roster was Macc's. With that said, they still won 7 games that year. So, actually it makes Douglas look worse by not adding the 2019 season to his record.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

The 2020 draft is not performing, although injuries have played a part.

The 2021 draft looks quite good.

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Funny that the 2109 Jets beat the 2021 Jets 

Thats progress for sure 

Its 5 games into 2021.  The 2019 Jets were what 7-9?  5 of those wins were a JOKE. Look them up.  They could have easily went 2-14. Easily.  And Darnold, instead of improving under Gase, regressed. Even though Darnold sucks, he's a average QB, but under Gase, was abysmal.  The whole thing had to be disnifected. Why is that so hard to understand? If JD fails, so be it. You move on and find another to replace him.  Keeping Macc and Gase would have been tragically comic. They had their chance.  Its like staying in a bad marriage. You have to know when to move on.  JD has another 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 years to prove his  worth.     

Its 5 games into 2021.  The 2019 Jets were what 7-9?  5 of those wins were a JOKE. Look them up.  They could have easily went 2-14. Easily.  And Darnold, instead of improving under Gase, regressed. Even though Darnold sucks, he's a average QB, but under Gase, was abysmal.  The whole thing had to be disnifected. Why is that so hard to understand? If JD fails, so be it. You move on and find another to replace him.  Keeping Macc and Gase would have been tragically comic. They had their chance.  Its like staying in a bad marriage. You have to know when to move on.  JD has another 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 years to prove his  worth.     

What games were joke wins? The 3 weeks in a row they scored 34 points? It takes this team 3 weeks to score 34 points 

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Another 2-3 win season and we will have the worst 2 year stretch since the Kotite era and somehow people are ok with this 

"Maccagnan and Gase made this mess!  Joe Douglas needed to clean it up!"

WRONG

Maccagnan was a better player picker, accumulated a similar amount of draft capital and cap space, and left on a 7 win season driven mostly by backups and rookies.  Gase, while no great coach, was able to motivate and prepare a broken roster on multiple occasions.  The tear down of the roster and the coaching staff to this deep a level wasn't necessary.  It was irresponsible.  Joe Douglas is the worst thing that ever happened to the New York Jets and the sooner the masses recognize this the sooner we can get him out of here.

SAR I