***OFFICIAL*** FIRE JOE DOUGLAS THREAD

1 hour ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

The NFL is hard. It's really as simple as that. Nobody consistently wins or loses money at picking players. There are a number of studies, plus it's intuitively a very obvious example of the skill paradox. You can't reasonably expect to get from 2-14 to anywhere good by out-evaluating the 31 best evaluators in the world.

Parcells was handed a 1-15 team and year two we competing for a ring

we already know it can be done we have seen it

folks will say but but bill brought in some of his own guys and didnt build for a long term future-which first is nuts as he left us a solid core and two I would love to be relevant and compete for a ring for a 2-3 window vs being in the basement under Joe 

2 hours ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Some good moves in there as well. Most teams have similar amount of moves throughout camp and the season.   Joe made a mistake not bringing in a vet qb this year and his line needs to get better, fast.

Agreed, just saying that Douglas was a busy bee in 2019, he wasn't redshirting.  Is he responsible for the 2019 record?  No.  But did he make significant moves in 2019 that started his GM clock ticking in 2019?  Absolutely.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

The NFL is hard. It's really as simple as that. Nobody consistently wins or loses money at picking players. There are a number of studies, plus it's intuitively a very obvious example of the skill paradox. You can't reasonably expect to get from 2-14 to anywhere good by out-evaluating the 31 best evaluators in the world.

Douglas seems hell-bent on putting his unique spin on the GM job, he's a high-risk revolutionary despite his seemingly meek demeanor.  Small guys, injured guys, 'high ceiling' guys, momma's boys, his actions show that he thinks he's smarter than everyone else and it's hurting us badly.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The best thing about Joe Douglas is Adam Gase got him hired and less then a year later Joe stood by and watched Gase get canned.

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHA

Thank you Joe Douglas!  Thank you!!

Adam Gase got canned because fans got noisy and the Johnson's noticed.

That same tidal wave of discontent has got its sights set on Joe Douglas.  He's next.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Douglas seems hell-bent on putting his unique spin on the GM job, he's a high-risk revolutionary despite his seemingly meek demeanor.  Small guys, injured guys, 'high ceiling' guys, momma's boys, his actions show that he thinks he's smarter than everyone else and it's hurting us badly.

SAR I

High ceiling guys are the worst.

• Post of the Week 1

When Chris/Woody gave Joe Douglas the ok to bring in his own coach and qb, that reset the clock.  Joe/Saleh/Zach are here through the 2023 season.

Thats not debatable, negotiable or up for discussion.  They get 3 full years as a group to turn this around.

You can talk all about how you are giving up your season tix, you wont watch the games etc and thats great.  But accept the facts.  This regime is getting 3 years no matter the results.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, kmnj said:

folks will say but but bill brought in some of his own guys and didnt build for a long term future-which first is nuts as he left us a solid core and two I would love to be relevant and compete for a ring for a 2-3 window vs being in the basement under Joe 

Hear, hear.

The Jets pioneered the "screw the draft, load up on free agents" strategy and look what it did for us.  Consecutive AFC Championship Games and sitting at 8-5 in the third year, it almost worked.

Look at the current Red Sox who go from basement dwellers (cut salary, get young) to playoff winners (spend money, add veterans) every 3 years.

No one said a rebuild has to be done this way.  Joe Douglas took a 7 win team and made us a 1 win expansion team.  Now he won't spend money either.  The Browns did it the right way.  They bought their way out of purgatory.  

SAR I

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

High ceiling guys are the worst.

They are if they bring huge risk on their floors and aren't surrounded by players and coaches who can get them to their ceilings.

Justin Herbert showed up in LA and instantly elevated his entire team.  That made every GM think this is the way it is, instant franchise quarterback from the draft.  Zach Wilson isn't Justin Herbert.  He can't carry the team.  Instead, he needs a shrink, and its only week 5.

SAR I

• Haha 1

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

The Browns purposely tanked. Don't you see the similarities?

Purposely tanked?  The Browns have been the worst team in the NFL for decades.  What the Browns did was purposely load up on free agents and rise from the dead the quick way, the easy way.

Sustainability doesn't matter.  Getting hot just one time and winning it all is all that's necessary.  Drew Brees got 1 measly Super Bowl.  Aaron Rodgers, same thing.  The Eagles went from suck to Lombardi and back down to suck again.  No one says this slow process is the right way.  I say it's the wrong way.  Get Mike Tannenbaum in here.  

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Purposely tanked?  The Browns have been the worst team in the NFL for decades.  What the Browns did was purposely load up on free agents and rise from the dead the quick way, the easy way.

Sustainability doesn't matter.  Getting hot just one time and winning it all is all that's necessary.  Drew Brees got 1 measly Super Bowl.  Aaron Rodgers, same thing.  The Eagles went from suck to Lombardi and back down to suck again.  No one says this slow process is the right way.  I say it's the wrong way.  Get Mike Tannenbaum in here.  

SAR I

dam we should of signed Baker, Chubb and Garrett when they were FA's.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Is it just mere coincidence that you post infinitely more after the Jets lose, than when the Jets win?

9-27 (last Jets loss)- 52 posts

10-4 (after the Jets win- 5 posts

Today- The tote board is spinning.

Talk about low floors :)

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

They purposely loaded up on draft picks, and early ones before those free agents.

What people fail to realize is this "build through the draft" is not the only way to go. The Jets didnt build anything through most of their successful runs, rather were smart in veteran FA with a small core of originals they did draft. 

JD has taken a radical approach, CUT EVERYONE and somehow try to tread water with rookies and guys who be 2nd and 3rd string on any other roster, in the belief he will hit on all his picks. Clearly, he hasn't. 

He took a 7 win team, and made into a team who doesn't even look like they belong obtaining 3 wins in the last 21 games. I'm sure JD is a nice guy, i'm sure hes a good staffer in a FO. However in his first gig where he is actually making the decisions its not going well. 

I don't know how to say this, it doesn't need to be this painful. JD is making it painful. 

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

What people fail to realize is this "build through the draft" is not the only way to go. The Jets didnt build anything through most of their successful runs, rather were smart in veteran FA with a small core of originals they did draft. 

JD has taken a radical approach, CUT EVERYONE and somehow try to tread water with rookies and guys who be 2nd and 3rd string on any other roster, in the belief he will hit on all his picks. Clearly, he hasn't. 

He took a 7 win team, and made into a team who doesn't even look like they belong obtaining 3 wins in the last 21 games. I'm sure JD is a nice guy, i'm sure hes a good staffer in a FO. However in his first gig where he is actually making the decisions its not going well. 

I don't know how to say this, it doesn't need to be this painful. JD is making it painful. 

Its not painful to anyone who understands playing the long game.  I am enjoying watching this team go through growing pains because I see exactly what Douglas and Saleh are doing and its brilliant.  We will be competing for a Super Bowl in 2023.  What is going on now is necessary to get there.

48 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Agreed, just saying that Douglas was a busy bee in 2019, he wasn't redshirting.  Is he responsible for the 2019 record?  No.  But did he make significant moves in 2019 that started his GM clock ticking in 2019?  Absolutely.

SAR I

significant moves? seriously? 

he trades Leo and takes a flier on Huff and JFM and thats significant? 

signs some crappy FAs cause thats all thats left after june.  

its significant but not significant enough to give him credit for the 2019 record? then his moves werent.

Mosely and Crowder were significant signings.... to bad players like that were long gone by June. 

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

That was what, 23 years ago? 

If you look across a long enough period you can find one example of pretty much anything. I guess picking QBs in Round 6 should become a de facto standard for all GMs?

42 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Kevin, you seem to be trying to make a case that the 2019 Jets were some sort of a foundational building block that JD should have created a springboard from, for incremental growth.

Let's play a game, name all the players on that 2019 squad that are still very serviceable players today, and should be considered foundational.

I will start- Q. Williams.

GO!!!!

@SAR I You can play too

17 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Kevin, you seem to be trying to make a case that the 2019 Jets were some sort of a foundational building block that JD should have created a springboard from, for incremental growth.

Let's play a game, name all the players on that 2019 squad that are still very serviceable players today, and should be considered foundational.

I will start- Q. Williams.

GO!!!!

@SAR I You can play too

UDFA Greg "the Torch" Dortch

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Is it just mere coincidence that you post infinitely more after the Jets lose, than when the Jets win?

9-27 (last Jets loss)- 52 posts

10-4 (after the Jets win- 5 posts

Today- The tote board is spinning.

Talk about low floors :)

We average 1 home win per year.

I was busy being satisfied.  Temporarily.

SAR I

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

They purposely loaded up on draft picks, and early ones before those free agents.

The Browns have been rebuilding for 20 consecutive years.  What changed their fortunes was a desperate GM who spent like a drunken sailor followed by a GM who drafted decently.  They had 3 GM's and 3 HC's (4 if you count an interim) in the last 6 years.

SAR I

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

1998 featured Parcells infusion of his guys, the stealing of Curtis Martin, and the unearthing of Vinny Testaverde.

2009/10 featured Tannenbaum adding a slew of pieces like Ladanian Tomlinson, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Damian Woody, Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Antonio Cromartie, Thomas Jones, Tony Richardson, Alan Faneca, and Jason Taylor.

If Joe Douglas would have hit on his 2020 and 2021 drafts, maybe we could have loaded up again.  Every month he messes with the team is another month farther away we are from his replacement who maybe, maybe, will do it the Parcells/Tannenbaum way.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

The only glaring instance of overconfidence that Douglas has demonstrated was the trade up for Vera-Tucker. If anything he has probably erred more toward doing no harm than is ideal for a team that is this far away, which is where the luxury of no urgency gets you. People swore up and down this was The Right Way until they saw what it looked like.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, SAR I said:

1998 featured Parcells infusion of his guys, the stealing of Curtis Martin, and the unearthing of Vinny Testaverde.

2009/10 featured Tannenbaum adding a slew of pieces like Ladanian Tomlinson, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Damian Woody, Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Antonio Cromartie, Thomas Jones, Tony Richardson, Alan Faneca, and Jason Taylor.

If Joe Douglas would have hit on his 2020 and 2021 drafts, maybe we could have loaded up again.  Every month he messes with the team is another month farther away we are from his replacement who maybe, maybe, will do it the Parcells/Tannenbaum way.

SAR I

To compare the talent that Parcells inherited in that 1997 squad, to what Douglas inherited in 2019 is comical.

I asked you to name quality NFL players, foundational players that Douglas inherited. Of course, you ignored it. Does not fit your agenda to be reasonable.

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its not painful to anyone who understands playing the long game.  I am enjoying watching this team go through growing pains because I see exactly what Douglas and Saleh are doing and its brilliant.  We will be competing for a Super Bowl in 2023.  What is going on now is necessary to get there.

Yeah, I said the same thing in 2017 and look where it got us.   

This rebuild is worse than the prior rebuild.  The prior rebuild was actually working.  

SAR I

4 hours ago, jamesr said:

That was what, 23 years ago? 

If you look across a long enough period you can find one example of pretty much anything. I guess picking QBs in Round 6 should become a de facto standard for all GMs?

What happened was that our owner had balls, tampered with another team, stole a Super Bowl caliber coaching staff, and stole a Hall of Fame running back.

Instant rebuild.  

There is nothing stopping this owner from doing the exact same thing. Football is an aggressive sport. The only time the Jets have been successful is when our owners have been hyper aggressive.  Werblin stealing Namath from the NFL.  Hess stealing Parcells from the Patriots.  Johnson allowing Tannenbaum to buy an all star team.   

This “patience” strategy doesn’t work as well as the quick fix.  The quick fix gets you known strong players.  The patience model requires a Hall of Fame GM.  

SAR I