***OFFICIAL*** FIRE JOE DOUGLAS THREAD

33 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

It’s not ridiculous. JD’s roster building has had extreme ups and downs (excellent trades VS. TERRIBLE high draft picks/FA signings). This only seems “good” to Jet fans because the late Tanny era, Idzik and Big Mac have been terrible.

The thing that makes the decision to fire JD really easy for me Is the fact that he hired Saleh and the team is actually worse than Gase era even with his “rebuild”. JD has been here since June 2019. He completely botched HIS head coach hire and very possibly the #2 draft pick QB. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

I am one that believes in continuity and that constant firings/change are very bad for a franchise. When things are constantly this bad, it’s not from all the changes. It’s from constantly hiring the WRONG people and always going with first time GMs/Coaches. It’s insanity and not working. Start over with an EXPERIENCED GM/COACH combo. 

Then stop doing it.  JD has brought in some great players.  Has all of the worked.  Of course not.  There isn't a GM in NFL history that comes close to batting any better than 50-60 percent of their moves work out.  And you are right; after Tannenbaum, Idzik, and Mccagnan, he does look better.  

How can he BOTCH a head coaching find when there was NOBODY to find?  All we have had for two decades is first time coaches.  

We are not going to agree on this.  I am with Joe Namath on this.  I like what JD is trying to do.  But we can't seem to get coaches in here who can actually get the work done with what the GM provides.  Perhaps its time to try something off the wall, like hire a guy like Sean Payton. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Then stop doing it.  JD has brought in some great players.  Has all of the worked.  Of course not.  There isn't a GM in NFL history that comes close to batting any better than 50-60 percent of their moves work out.  And you are right; after Tannenbaum, Idzik, and Mccagnan, he does look better.  

How can he BOTCH a head coaching find when there was NOBODY to find?  All we have had for two decades is first time coaches.  

We are not going to agree on this.  I am with Joe Namath on this.  I like what JD is trying to do.  But we can't seem to get coaches in here who can actually get the work done with what the GM provides.  Perhaps its time to try something off the wall, like hire a guy like Sean Payton. 

At the very least, they need an experienced head coach. I’m just leaning towards getting rid of JD too. Just too much bad for my taste. I expected more even with a 50-60% hit rate on roster moves. He’s more like 40%(still way better than what we had) but the HC hire/Zach Wilson pick are so terrible that I just can’t get past it. 

9 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Statistically Joe Douglas is far worse than both Idzik and Macc in the only thing that matters, wins and losses.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Keep hearing how much talent Douglas has brought in, yet even on this board on a poll taken of who our best player was, QW won the polls.

So going into his 4th season, most fans on here think a Macc player is still the best player on the roster. Speaks volumes.

Where are all these fabled game breaking talented players? The pro bowlers, the all pros. If I hear about potential one more time I'm gonna punt that person into orbit.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

On 9/11/2022 at 9:49 PM, Prodigal Syndicate said:

13-37

Rebuilds take around 15 years.

Sign this man to a 20 year extension just to be safe.

He needs to be able to draft at least 3 more QB's and hire 3 more coaches before we can even consider judging.

If Jets fans were on the jury, the Lindberg trial would still be in deliberations.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

At the very least, they need an experienced head coach. I’m just leaning towards getting rid of JD too. Just too much bad for my taste. I expected more even with a 50-60% hit rate on roster moves. He’s more like 40%(still way better than what we had) but the HC hire/Zach Wilson pick are so terrible that I just can’t get past it. 

I’m not ready to write off Wilson yet.  Way to early and the coaching staff had no business throwing him out to start the season last year.   The kid needs a chance to figure it out.   It was ugly last year but a lot of that was a combination of talent and a rookie coaching staff mishandling his development.  

A more experienced head coach from the o side might have handled Zach a lot better.   

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

I’m not ready to write off Wilson yet.  Way to early and the coaching staff had no business throwing him out to start the season last year.   The kid needs a chance to figure it out.   It was ugly last year but a lot of that was a combination of talent and a rookie coaching staff mishandling his development.  

A more experienced head coach from the o side might have handled Zach a lot better.   

Wilson will get his chance. I am just basing my overall opinion of JD on the likely chance that Wilson is a disaster. I get that it’s “too early” to write Wilson off but it’s about to not be too early anymore. We’ll know by mid year if he starts next week. 

On 9/11/2022 at 4:44 PM, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Big Macc was the jets GM for 52 months

Final record 24-40 (.375)

John Idzik was the jets GM for 23 months

Final record was 12-20 (.375)

Joe Douglas has been the Jets GM for 39 months

Current Record is 13-37 (.260)

But the first year he didn't draft the PLAYERS.

BLAH

BLAH

BLAH

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Keep hearing how much talent Douglas has brought in, yet even on this board on a poll taken of who our best player was, QW won the polls.

So going into his 4th season, most fans on here think a Macc player is still the best player on the roster. Speaks volumes.

Where are all these fabled game breaking talented players? The pro bowlers, the all pros. If I hear about potential one more time I'm gonna punt that person into orbit.

Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

2 hours ago, HessStation said:

Jets are literally loaded w young talent, the QB and/or the Coaches suck 

You can't say QB because Zack hasn't played. The obvious one is the coaching staff. But you have to add the defensive line to this list...a band of thieves taking money and not doing what they're paid to do.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

I’m happy you “like what jd is trying to do” note the word trying. Is it to make a halfway decent football team? Because every week a JD team is out there they stink! Like badly 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I’m happy you “like what jd is trying to do” not the word trying. Is it to make a halfway decent football team? Because every week a JD team is out there they stink! Like badly 

At some point the JD sycophants have to look at his record since he took over the team. 

2019 - 7-9 with Mike Maccagan's roster

2020 = 2-14 

2021 - 4-13

2022 - 1-2

The record wouldn't bother me as much if this team looked like they were on the cusp and were competitive in most games. The team looks as green and unprepared as they did in 2021. 

Just a preemptive strike for anyone who blames Saleh. JD hired Saleh. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

At some point the JD sycophants have to look at his record since he took over the team. 

2020 = 2-14 

2021 - 4-13

2022 - 1-2

The record wouldn't bother me as much if this team looked like they were on the cusp and were competitive in most games. The team looks as green and unprepared as they did in 2021. 

Look Douglas certainly deserves criticism for the 2020 draft, Khalil, not doing enough with the oline BUT I have to be fair and say his last two drafts have been very good.  I mean he did add talent in FA this year too.  Yes it’s true he did hire Saleh but most people felt that it was a good hire.  I don’t think we could have ever imagined it would be this bad.  There is talent on this team no matter what anyone says.  Coaching is really holding us back.  Does Douglas deserve blame too?  Yes of course 

11 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Good post, there should be some talent because we’ve used 6 first round picks in 3 years….and pretty much all top twenty picks at that 

the returns need to be better, this years draft is encouraging but there’s almost zero contribution  from the 2020 draft and 2021 is not knocking down trees either. Yes there’s a lot of under-utilisation of the likes of Michael Carter and Elijah Moore and that is down to coaching as well but really, for all the draft capital we’ve acquired the returns remain largely underwhelming so far.

It is only 3 games and we’ve been without the anointed ‘franchise’ QB, which is clearly a centrepiece of JD’s rebuild so all is not entirely lost, but days like yesterday make it hard to see where we’ve really progressed and moved forward and that is not all on coaching(which JD is responsible for anyway)

big couple of weeks upcoming ….for everyone 

17 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Good post, there should be some talent because we’ve used 6 first round picks in 3 years….and pretty much all top twenty picks at that 

the returns need to be better, this years draft is encouraging but there’s almost zero contribution  from the 2020 draft and 2021 is not knocking down trees either. Yes there’s a lot of under-utilisation of the likes of Michael Carter and Elijah Moore and that is down to coaching as well but really, for all the draft capital we’ve acquired the returns remain largely underwhelming so far.

It is only 3 games and we’ve been without the anointed ‘franchise’ QB, which is clearly a centrepiece of JD’s rebuild so all is not entirely lost, but days like yesterday make it hard to see where we’ve really progressed and moved forward and that is not all on coaching(which JD is responsible for anyway)

big couple of weeks upcoming ….for everyone 

Eh not sure I agree.  Douglas certainly deserves blame for the 2020 draft and right now his hire of Saleh is blowing up in his face. However his last two drafts have been very good.  True we had a lot of high picks but a lot of teams have had high picks over the years who turned into nothing.  The last two drafts have produced talent.  Problem is the coaches have set them up to fail either by not utilizing them properly.  Elijah Moore is a good example.  He is a very good flit receiver yet yesterday we’re trying these home run passes with him which isnt his game.  Granted he probably should’ve had that one TD but still 

3 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Eh not sure I agree.  Douglas certainly deserves blame for the 2020 draft and right now his hire of Saleh is blowing up in his face. However his last two drafts have been very good.  True we had a lot of high picks but a lot of teams have had high picks over the years who turned into nothing.  The last two drafts have produced talent.  Problem is the coaches have set them up to fail either by not utilizing them properly.  Elijah Moore is a good example.  He is a very good flit receiver yet yesterday we’re trying these home run passes with him which isnt his game.  Granted he probably should’ve had that one TD but still 

You’ll get no argument from me that the coaching staff has done next to nothing to persuade anyone that they are not part of the problem, but I simply don’t understand why people are so keen to disassociate Joe Douglas from that?
It’s not just the draft, where are the improvements via free agency? what was it about Braxton Berrios & JFM that anyone thought merited making them the centrepiece of this team? they were both bang average before, it’s no shocker that they are offering little to nothing since. We can’t just rely on the draft 

12 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

You’ll get no argument from me that the coaching staff has done next to nothing to persuade anyone that they are not part of the problem, but I simply don’t understand why people are so keen to disassociate Joe Douglas from that?
It’s not just the draft, where are the improvements via free agency? what was it about Braxton Berrios & JFM that anyone thought merited making them the centrepiece of this team? they were both bang average before, it’s no shocker that they are offering little to nothing since. We can’t just rely on the draft 

I’m not disassociating anything.  I literally said the Saleh hire is blowing up in his face.  As for FA I liked his moves this year.  Upgrading TE and getting Tomlinson were pretty well praised.  Obviously the early returns have not been good but I’m not going to crucify that after 3 games especially the TE haven’t been utilized pretty much at all except in small patches.  My biggest issue with JD was just assuming Becton was going to be completely healthy all seafront  had backfired.  He needed to have a better backup plan 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jets723 said:

I’m not disassociating anything.  I literally said the Saleh hire is blowing up in his face.  As for FA I liked his moves this year.  Upgrading TE and getting Tomlinson were pretty well praised.  Obviously the early returns have not been good but I’m not going to crucify that after 3 games especially the TE haven’t been utilized pretty much at all except in small patches.  My biggest issue with JD was just assuming Becton was going to be completely healthy all seafront  had backfired.  He needed to have a better backup plan 

Whats JDs record as Jets GM?

• WTF? 1

From Reddit: 

Our JD Conundrum

We’re trending towards finding ourselves in a bit of a predicament regarding JD and Saleh. 

JD has done some good and some bad during his time with us. He’s great with trades and had a good last couple drafts. On the other hand, he completely botched the first draft and attempted OL rebuild in general. 

Saleh has shown us basically nothing to make us think he’s a competent coach. He’s led far better rosters than Gase had to a 5-15 record, with 10 of those losses by double digits and the worst defense in our team’s history last year.

Assuming this pace continues, we may be faced with a scenario in which one or both of JD and Saleh is on an immense hot seat at the end of the season. 

So, what do we do then? Keep one? Fire both? 

There’s a part of me that says keep JD and fire Saleh, but it’s really hard to stomach JD hiring another coach when the first one he hired has been such a disaster. It’s pretty clear to me that JD was completely fooled by the surface-level stuff with Saleh - the platitudes, the positivity, all the slogans and motivational BS. I don’t think I can trust him to actually choose a good football coach.

5 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

2020 = 2-14 

2021 - 4-13

2022 - 1-2

Agreed.  I've defended JD since day 1 (and I did like his offseason) but it's time for this team to show some progress.  Right now it appears we're going backward again. 

• Upvote 1