Jump to content

***OFFICIAL*** FIRE JOE DOUGLAS THREAD


freestater
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 11/9/2022 at 3:56 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

 

The Perine pick was dumb because he lacked much of any upside.  His ceiling was Bilal Powell, and it's not really wise to use a 4th on a guy like that.

But otherwise the process was pretty good in the 2020 class, and process matters a lot.

Powell was a 4th rounder...

What people forget is there was little input from the '20 CS towards the draft.  As has been reported, this CS is heavily involved with the scouts leading up to the draft in what traits they want from players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Powell was a 4th rounder...

What people forget is there was little input from the '20 CS towards the draft.  As has been reported, this CS is heavily involved with the scouts leading up to the draft in what traits they want from players.

Right.  But I'm saying Perine's CEILING was Powell.  Obviously he fell far short of that.  If you're gonna use a midround pick on a RB, you want to grab one with a higher ceiling than that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The reason smart GMs like Douglas try to accumulate picks is because even the best GMs draft plenty of busts. 

Just a guess.  The Jets are close to the point where they do not have to sign many UFAs, they then can let some UFAs leave, thus start being awarded compensatory picks.  Close.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Hex said:

JD is a good GM. He better not get canned for messing up his first draft that wasn't messed up by COVID.

I like Douglas and think  he should get another crack at drafting a qb.

But wholly Jesus Zach Wilson  might be the worst draft pick in jets history and we have a lot to choose from. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2022 at 4:10 PM, JTJet said:

**** him. 1 good draft shouldnt absolve him at this point. 

One good draft where he hit on four players. Basically all in the first 35 picks, two in the top ten. It would almost be difficult to come away from that without talent. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes the first half of the season was fun, but its become apparent it was a mirage and the luck of facing a bunch of teams starting back ups and in disarray.

 

No more draft surplus. No huge amount of cap space. No answers at QB. An O line that needs to be rebuilt. Linebacker core has been basically ignored and is in bad shape and gets exposed. Oh and because Douglas restructured we are stuck with Mosely again next season, another year older and slower.

Douglas is going to have the best off season of his life and make the playoffs next season. Anything else and he is rightfully gone. 

4 seasons with losing records, 4 seasons with no playoffs. Jags on the cusp of winning their division, giants make the playoffs. 

This whole "we need 4-6 seasons to rebuild" has always been nonsense. Good regimes do it in half that time all the time.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/10/2021 at 12:45 PM, JTJet said:

This is where I'm at. 

We keep getting preached to about "patience" as literally the only defense of JDs tenure. 

37 games he has been the GM. Buck stops with him. 

Their argument boils down to "it was Gase, JD needs time", but if JD wasnt at fault during a 7-9 season in 2019, and progressively has gained more influence each season, then what do we have? 

2019 JD 25% Influence 7-9

2020 JD 50% Influence 2-14

2021 JD 100% Influence 1-4... and looking VERY bad. 

They can claim he gets a fresh start with Saleh all they want but we are literally going backwards under his watch by every objectionable measure. 

I want to re-highlight this thought process for those on the fence. Think about the progression of JDs stamp on this franchise. 

Hired: June 7th 2019...

2019 JD 25% Influence / Gase 75% 7-9

2020 JD 50% Influence / Gase 50% 2-14

2021 JD 50% Influence / Saleh 50% 4-13

2022 JD 50% Influence / Saleh 50%  7-9

We are on the cusp of year 4 of his tenure, and we are quite literally... right back where we started. 

The problem with this, is that we arguably have a better roster overall, but the coaching staff is no different than before. 

This is a damning indictment of Saleh and his staff, but then also a damning indictment of Douglas for hiring him to begin with. 

It. Needs. To. Be. Blown. Up. 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I want to re-highlight this thought process for those on the fence. Think about the progression of JDs stamp on this franchise. 

Hired: June 7th 2019...

2019 JD 25% Influence / Gase 75% 7-9

2020 JD 50% Influence / Gase 50% 2-14

2021 JD 50% Influence / Saleh 50% 4-13

2022 JD 50% Influence / Saleh 50%  7-9

We are on the cusp of year 4 of his tenure, and we are quite literally... right back where we started. 

The problem with this, is that we arguably have a better roster overall, but the coaching staff is no different than before. 

This is a damning indictment of Saleh and his staff, but then also a damning indictment of Douglas for hiring him to begin with. 

It. Needs. To. Be. Blown. Up. 

fine lets blow it up

so answer this , who will come to the Jets? and give some reasonable names(no , Payton will never come to work for Woody when he has so many other options)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, fusionCA said:

fine lets blow it up

so answer this , who will come to the Jets? and give some reasonable names(no , Payton will never come to work for Woody when he has so many other options)

Money talks. 

Just because you think Payton wont come here, doesnt mean he wont. He has stated in the past he would coach the Jets. 

The team has some pieces to build around.amd a young roster, and in decent cap shape, and not depleted of picks. 

Frank Reich is a very reasonable answer too. The Colts scapegoated him for damn sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/11/2022 at 1:44 PM, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Big Macc was the jets GM for 52 months

Final record 24-40 (.375)

John Idzik was the jets GM for 23 months

Final record was 12-20 (.375)

Joe Douglas has been the Jets GM for 39 months

Current Record is 13-37 (.260)

Douglas now sitting at 20-45. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This team has beaten me to sh!t so much over the last 12 years that I'm not even getting that upset anymore. Douglas is going into his 4th season, we have no clue who the QB will be next year, the team doesn't have a ton of cap space and they are picking 13th without multiple first rounders this time. Other than the young players on the team drastically improving next year (and that's certainly a possibility), I'm just not very optimistic that the Douglas/Saleh tandem are going to produce a significantly better product next year. I hope I'm wrong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

This team has beaten me to sh!t so much over the last 12 years that I'm not even getting that upset anymore. Douglas is going into his 4th season, we have no clue who the QB will be next year, the team doesn't have a ton of cap space and they are picking 13th without multiple first rounders this time. Other than the young players on the team drastically improving next year (and that's certainly a possibility), I'm just not very optimistic that the Douglas/Saleh tandem are going to produce a significantly better product next year. I hope I'm wrong. 

Talent wise we have:

A top 3 CB

A top 5 CB trio

A stud OL who might be top 5 at any position on the OL

A top 15 WR

A top 5 IDL

A deep stable of DEs

A top 5 RB

None of the guys above should decline in production, the WR, RB, DEs and CBs are actually supposed to get better. 

Realistically we lost 5 of our top 6 players at the tackle position for some portion of the season and the healthy one played with a torn rotator cuff all season. That’s my pro JD perspective. On the otherhand, I don’t have much positivity for Saleh or LaFleur.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...