***OFFICIAL*** FIRE JOE DOUGLAS THREAD

12 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

First signing was terrible, a 2 tier receiver for more money than he cheap skated and let Robbie Anderson go. 
Then a 5 sack a year Edge, who’s been a rotation player. I think we may be looking for a new GM in 2022.

image.png.0103228274c881b3925396a0983321b0.png

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

First signing was terrible, a 2 tier receiver for more money than he cheap skated and let Robbie Anderson go. 
Then a 5 sack a year Edge, who’s been a rotation player. I think we may be looking for a new GM in 2022.

Maybe you would prefer Dave Gettleman instead...

He may be available soon...

I'm beginning to wonder if JD had a few guys he was targeting where he got 1 or 2 (Lawson, Davis) and missed on a few others (Thuney) and part 2 of his strategy is to wait for the cuts that need to occur before tomorrow for teams to get under the new cap.

Have to think a lot of good players will be hitting the wire tomorrow.

18 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Someone make the case this roster and some rookies this year will be competitive....i will wait

Fire JD

"What a great GM!  Leonard Williams, Robbie Anderson, and Jamal Adams were going to cost us too much money!  We can get players of better ability at a lower price!  Way to go JD!"

-- Free Agency Begins [Crickets]

-- Free Agency Ends [Crickets]

Feels like 2-15.  Can't wait to write my $5,000 season ticket check and watch the fans turn on Saleh after he opens 0-4.  But I'll be there to join in the "Joe Must Go" chant.  That'll be strangely full-circle for me.

SAR I

So far we have only filled 2 holes, and have Many more, we still at least 5 or 6 new starters, 2 cbs(slot/outside), strong safety, another De, at least one guard, rb, , te, etc. The draft will fill a few , but even in a good draft, you cant count on getting more than 3 starters, and one will likely be a qb. In short,he has alot of workto do in next 4 weeks, i fully expect him to add 2-3 of his former players by this weekend

In 2020 and 2021, this style of conservative free agency signings makes complete sense for a re-build, or in our case, a build. You can't re-build something that was never there. At the risk of being Captain Obvious, JD has to knock in out of the park in this year's draft so that we can be aggressive in free agency in 2022 and beyond. 

JD has made it clear about his plan to build this team. No use getting upset about something we already knew was going to happen. I'm not completely sold on JD, but I have faith in his plan. An average or bad draft will likely sour me on him quicker than it did with Medium Macc. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, SAR I said:"What a great GM!  Leonard Williams, Robbie Anderson, and Jamal Adams were going to cost us too much money!  We can get players of better ability at a lower price!  Way to go JD!"

Feels like 2-15.  Can't wait to write my $5,000 season ticket check and watch the fans turn on Saleh after he opens 0-4.  But I'll be there to join in the "Joe Must Go" chant.  That'll be strangely full-circle for me.

SAR I

So I guess you are not predicting a 5-0 start this year?

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

"What a great GM!  Leonard Williams, Robbie Anderson, and Jamal Adams were going to cost us too much money!  We can get players of better ability at a lower price!  Way to go JD!"

SAR I

In fairness, you make a good point here.....that’s a lot of still young talent deemed surplus to requirements and not part of the future....While I don’t hate our approach in FA this year (both Thuney & Linsley were  overrated, Golladay too) it’s a damning indictment of Douglas ability to evaluate talent and build a competitive roster that he believed Tarell Basham, Breshad Perriman & Bradley McDougald represented better “value”

the jury remains well and truly out 

• Post of the Week 1

I obviously have no idea what JD's plan is but it almost seems like he's building the roster from bottom of the depth chart towards the top but leaving so many starting positions open and Cap space remaining that you'd expect some kind of big move, any kind of big move to take place at some point.  Is there a good (or great) player on a way-too-expensive contract on another team that JD is willing to trade a mid-round pick for and that's how he'll use this Cap space?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I obviously have no idea what JD's plan is but it almost seems like he's building the roster from bottom of the depth chart towards the top but leaving so many starting positions open and Cap space remaining that you'd expect some kind of big move, any kind of big move to take place at some point.  Is there a good (or great) player on a way-too-expensive contract on another team that JD is willing to trade a mid-round pick for and that's how he'll use this Cap space?

My best guess - JD has a dogmatic approach to FA - and is only willing to spend what he believes is the right value - pre-determined before FA started.  Much like Mac did with BPA in the draft.

In theory they both sound nice, but in practice you have to be flexible.

If he had shot his load everyone would be whining that he didn’t leave cap flexibility to bring in Watson or Wilson 

Gotta be honest this turned out to be a typical free agency where the really top players were tagged or resigned and the first few guys that signed were super overpriced 

its also not over 

a patient approach is not a bad thing. 

There are even some veterans will have to wait until after the draft to get signed 

Then there is the mini draft!!

so let’s see what this thing looks like in July 

• Upvote 1