Jets to sign LB Jarrad Davis

Maxman

Florio with the crystal ball:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/15/jarrad-davis-could-go-fast-in-free-agency/amp/

He was a first-round pick in 2017, but he hasn’t fully lived up to that billing. As his first shot at free agency arrives, Lions linebacker Jarrad Davis could end up being a guy who gets more attention than expected on the open market.

As we hearing it, it won’t be a massive, eyebrow-raising deal. But it could happen fairly quickly. It ultimately could be a one-year contract in the range of $7 million or so. And it will give Davis a chance to show what he can do in a defense that better showcases his abilities.

That’s the word currently making the rounds — the Lions didn’t use him properly. If/when someone does, Davis could significantly enhance his earning potential.

It likely will take a year or so for Davis to establish himself. Part of the challenge will be landing in a place where Davis can shine. If that happens, he could end up being a much bigger name in free agency a year from now, when the cap will be higher and more teams will be ready to spend.

3 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Florio with the crystal ball:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/15/jarrad-davis-could-go-fast-in-free-agency/amp/

He was a first-round pick in 2017, but he hasn’t fully lived up to that billing. As his first shot at free agency arrives, Lions linebacker Jarrad Davis could end up being a guy who gets more attention than expected on the open market.

As we hearing it, it won’t be a massive, eyebrow-raising deal. But it could happen fairly quickly. It ultimately could be a one-year contract in the range of $7 million or so. And it will give Davis a chance to show what he can do in a defense that better showcases his abilities.

That’s the word currently making the rounds — the Lions didn’t use him properly. If/when someone does, Davis could significantly enhance his earning potential.

It likely will take a year or so for Davis to establish himself. Part of the challenge will be landing in a place where Davis can shine. If that happens, he could end up being a much bigger name in free agency a year from now, when the cap will be higher and more teams will be ready to spend.

This makes sense. He's a strong, rangy, athletic OLB suited to play in the 4-3. He flies all over the field and has enough speed to go sideline to sideline. There's a reason he was taken in the first round. On a short-term 7mil deal its not a bad gamble. I think if anyone can get the most out of him its Ulbrich and Saleh. This kind of signing being one of their first moves suggests to me that the Jets do not intend on retaining Jenkins and probably not Hewitt either. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

When he opts-out on August 1, do we have to pay him the full $7M?

SAR I

mosley will be his consultant on the matter

kills me fans right away hyping a guy that sucked on the lions while the pats got a monster edge guy

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

He is an MLB, which we need.  My guess is Mosely will play weak side lb. just a hunch though 

anyone know what Detroit played?

Well, what we actually NEED is OLBs. Plural. The Jets have Mosley coming back. His contract pretty much keeps him on the roster and he could actually be a pretty good fit for the 4-3 and wide nine. The Jets also have Cashman still under a rookie deal. At OLB the Jet have nobody. They are all FAs and/or not great fits for the 4-3. 

I'm not sure where he played in Detroit but coming out of college Jarrad Davis was projected as a 4-3 OLB (weak side). Obviously he had some versatility but that seemed to be where scouts envisioned him having the most success in the NFL. Maybe the Lions were playing him in the wrong position? If they were forcing him into the MLB spot and relying on him to be a coverage linebacker when that is not really something he excelled at I would not be surprised if he struggled and did not reach his potential.  

• Upvote 1