The more things change...

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Gase was terrible.  Just awful.

But the collateral damage of the mistake of hiring him is that the Jets have done nothing to convince the league that we're not the revolving door we've always been.  Nothing to do about it now, but perhaps we land a prized lineman yesterday if we treated our head coaches better, starting with solid GM's to give them an NFL caliber roster.

To date, Joe Douglas is a "C" as a GM.  Yesterday lifted him to a "C+".  That's nice.  

SAR I

Can you name one NFL team that has rebuilt through the FA? I don't think a top FA is coming here but not for the reason you sighted being the HC. It is because this organization  is a mess top to bottom. We need a season of positive steps before that happens. Going from 7 wins to 2 is not convincing anyone. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Can you name one NFL team that has rebuilt through the FA? I don't think a top FA is coming here but not for the reason you sighted being the HC. It is because this organization  is a mess top to bottom. We need a season of positive steps before that happens. Going from 7 wins to 2 is not convincing anyone. 

Tampa Bay?

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I agree.  My point is that one would hope that Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh, and Mike LaFleur would have been enough to convince some of the A+ free agents to come here.  It doesn't look like it mattered.  This team would be better with Jamal Adams, Robbie Anderson, and Leonard Williams on it.  If we're not spending the FA money because no one wants to come here, we should have just overpaid the homegrown guys.

And if Douglas drafts this year like he drafted last year and we only wind up with one bonafide elite player, we damned well better utilize FA or its going to be more of same, rebuilding for another 10 years. 

SAR I

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

But the collateral damage of the mistake of hiring him is that the Jets have done nothing to convince the league that we're not the revolving door we've always been.  Nothing to do about it now, but perhaps we land a prized lineman yesterday if we treated our head coaches better, starting with solid GM's to give them an NFL caliber roster.

To date, Joe Douglas is a "C" as a GM.  Yesterday lifted him to a "C+".  That's nice.  

SAR I

Nothing about the team has said revolving door.  Not the way players have come and gone or their CS.

I know it has a nice ring to it but nothing about the way the Jets retain or move players is any different than the way teams act throughout the NFL.  

Anyone who has watched NFL football, who actually looks at how teams are put together knows you dont make blanket, black and white statements about a draft after one season.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

The more they stay the same.  What an amazingly familiar feeling I have today.  Convinced myself JD is the guy.  Bought into all the right buzzwords like "draft capital" and "organizational structure" and "huge cap space" and "all gas no breaks".  Only to watch as our plan evaporates within 4-hours of free agency starting.  This team literally doesn't give its fans even a day of feeling good.

Go out and get some players Joe.  What in the world good is all this money if we don't spend it on guys that can play?  When you suck you have to overpay - that's how it works.  Then you need to hit on the players and the draft picks.

I can't believe how familiar this feeling of disappointment is.  Lots of talent off the FA market today.  And we got some dude who was "not used properly".  WTF.  When in the world will it ever end?

Jesus....Its getting harder every year to listen to all the whining cry-babys.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I agree.  My point is that one would hope that Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh, and Mike LaFleur would have been enough to convince some of the A+ free agents to come here.  It doesn't look like it mattered.  This team would be better with Jamal Adams, Robbie Anderson, and Leonard Williams on it.  If we're not spending the FA money because no one wants to come here, we should have just overpaid the homegrown guys.

And if Douglas drafts this year like he drafted last year and we only wind up with one bonafide elite player, we damned well better utilize FA or its going to be more of same, rebuilding for another 10 years. 

SAR I

This hasn't been mentioned but the OL really started to play better in the second half of the season.  Barring getting a big me FA OL to sign, I'm not against putting the same guys out there next season. If we can keep them healthy, we should have a serviceable OL. I would actually like to see more help at WR and have an insurance  policy at RB incase Perrine is a bust. Corey Davis is not doing it for me. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

This hasn't been mentioned but the OL really started to play better in the second half of the season.  Barring getting a big me FA OL to sign, I'm not against putting the same guys out there next season. If we can keep them healthy, we should have a serviceable OL. I would actually like to see more help at WR and have an insurance  policy at RB incase Perrine is a bust. Corey Davis is not doing it for me. 

What gives me hope is that the Shanahan offense requires OL movement and WR blocking support so perhaps the OL we have either gets less pressure or is suited to that type of lateral design.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

The more they stay the same.  What an amazingly familiar feeling I have today.  Convinced myself JD is the guy.  Bought into all the right buzzwords like "draft capital" and "organizational structure" and "huge cap space" and "all gas no breaks".  Only to watch as our plan evaporates within 4-hours of free agency starting.  This team literally doesn't give its fans even a day of feeling good.

Go out and get some players Joe.  What in the world good is all this money if we don't spend it on guys that can play?  When you suck you have to overpay - that's how it works.  Then you need to hit on the players and the draft picks.

I can't believe how familiar this feeling of disappointment is.  Lots of talent off the FA market today.  And we got some dude who was "not used properly".  WTF.  When in the world will it ever end?

I'd like to see a study of how the "winners" of day one of free agency actually correlate to success in the league.  This is a process.  I wouldn't get too excited.  Plus, we signed a couple of very good players.

• Upvote 2

How is this remotely the same? Hasn't the past been about making the big splashes in free agency, or trading picks away for veterans, and then having them underperform with the Jets?

Don't the Jets most often get labeled as a team that won the offseason, only to not have it translate on the field?

I guess I just don't understand the criticism, aside from Jets=bad.

• Upvote 1

SAR I

I am sure Lindsey and Thuney were contemplating how Adam Gase was treated when making their decision.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

43 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

I am sure Lindsey and Thuney were contemplating how Adam Gase was treated when making their decision. 

It's not just Gase.  It's all of them.  Only the Cleveland Browns have had more head coaches since the 70's than we have.

SAR I

7 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

How about the super bowl winning bucs. They didn't have a bad foundation. But they weren't a playoff team so I think it's a good example of how FA can really improve your team. Went from a 7 win team to Sb champ

Tom brady 

Leonard fournette 

Rob gronkowski 

Antonio brown 

(All scored tds in the SB)

Ndamukong suh

Shaq barret

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

How about the super bowl winning bucs. They didn't have a bad foundation. But they weren't a playoff team so I think it's a good example of how FA can really improve your team. Went from a 7 win team to Sb champ

Tom brady 

Leonard fournette 

Rob gronkowski 

Antonio brown 

(All scored tds in the SB)

Ndamukong suh

Shaq barret

When you find a 2 wim team that did theater me know.  A 7 win team is a few players from contending 

On 3/16/2021 at 8:52 AM, Jet Nut said:

And what is Sandy?  The guy who wasnt allowed to spend or trade for higher priced players by the Wilpons or guy who made a lot of smart moves under Cohen when not hamstrung by a small market budget?

Kind of have to understand the situation if youre going to be SAR lite.

i'm underwhelmed by the moves Sandy made this year with a healthy budget to spend..so are many others...at heart, he's a guy that is not comfortable spending money, even when it's not his own...JD, the same. 

• WTF? 1

And what is Sandy?  The guy who wasnt allowed to spend or trade for higher priced players by the Wilpons or guy who made a lot of smart moves under Cohen when not hamstrung by a small market budget?

i'm underwhelmed by the moves Sandy made this year with a healthy budget to spend..so are many others...at heart, he's a guy that is not comfortable spending money, even when it's not his own...JD, the same. 

• Haha 1

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2021 at 5:14 PM, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Well said...and true...JD is Sandy Alderson...

On 3/15/2021 at 5:27 PM, Grandy said:

My Dad actually called me this morning and made the same comparison. I tend to agree.

So I’m naive here...  is a Sandy Alserson comparison good or bad??.  I’m out of NY 25 years, not a Mets fan.  

On 3/16/2021 at 9:42 AM, NorthCoastJetsFan said:

JHC, I can't believe the tenor of some of these posts. We may be a loyal fan base, but we're also a fickle fan base.

They were 2-14 lat year, have not been relevant for at least 5 years, don't know who their QB is, and have significant problems at every position on the roster. Given that, did you really expect to sigh a Jerry Rice, a Lawrence Taylor and a Junior Seau? They are not going to sign that type of player (without tremendously overpaying) until the team becomes somewhat competent.

Douglas has been here for one draft. If anyone thought that he was going to wave his Harry Potter wand and make them playoff ready in a year was, and is, delusional. This is a multi year process just to become competitive, and if you can't take that, I feel sorry for you.

Rice and Taylor aren't dead yet but I haven't given up on signing Jr. 

13 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

So I’m naive here...  is a Sandy Alserson comparison good or bad??.  I’m out of NY 25 years, not a Mets fan.  

Depending on some it could go either way, he's quite divisive. Personally, I'm a Sandy fan and he has the accomplishments to back it up. However I understand people who don't love him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Anyone who watched Sandys FA spending and comes away thinking he doesnt like to spend had the ridiculous mindset that because we have a new billionaire owner we would go hog wild spending.  Trade for Lindor, May etc and he isnt comfortable spending?  LOL, he didnt get an overpriced CF, wouldnt sign a 30+ year old catcher to a 7 year deal......

This tweet isn’t even about Joe Douglas. It’s about the narrative that the #Jets aren’t spending money when they very clearly are. It’s amazing that so many people just don’t see that.
Only 5 teams have spent more than the #Jets this offseason, per Spotrac. They also wanted to add Joe Thuney and/or William Jackson. Joe Douglas is not being cheap. The Jets are spending money.
  • Upvote 1

On 3/15/2021 at 5:12 PM, WowOhWow said:

It doesn’t end. This sh*t just gets worse.

On 3/15/2021 at 5:26 PM, SAR I said:

I'm not defending Adam Gase.

But the reality is that when you tell the league that you're bringing in a young HC and a young GM and are going to give them several years to rebuild the team and then watch the GM not bring in any players and fire the HC who was in a no-win situation with a terrible roster depleted by injuries under a bust quarterback, you've got problems.  Big ones.

Like agents telling their players not to come here because we're a revolving door.  They might want to play for Saleh, might want to be coached by LaFleur, but this team churns and burns them all and the weather is nice in LA and its easy to make the playoffs in KC and Belichick is a defensive guru in NE and the Jets are the Jets.

SAR I

You just about nailed it.

But, in all fairness, let’s see the product on the field looks like before crucifying JD just yet.

• Upvote 1