After whiffing on OL, the argument for keeping Sam strengthens

Before you jump all over me, I've moved on from Sam mentally also.  I don't WANT to bring him back.

But with this o-line?  They'll just ruin Zach Wilson too.  Why bother?

After whiffing today, there are so many damn holes to fill that they might be best off trading down from #2 to get as many picks as possible.

Still not the most likely outcome in my opinion, and I want Wilson personally, but this argument does look better than it did yesterday.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 5
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I have to agree with this.

Let sam take the beating until JD is ready to solidify the OL

Looks, it's only been a few hours - let's see what we end up with if the OL isn't heavily upgraded, I have to agree.  You can't put a rookie behind that line and expect him to make progress.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, genot said:

If i was Sam, i'd say trade me. To anyone. I'll be the backup somewhere. Just get me out of here. If the philosophy is get our QB killed until we hit on draft picks. I'd want out, considering the last two years of o-line play, and whats been done to upgrade. Close to nothing 

We’re trading him for a late 2nd and drafting a 21 year old Qb who already has had 2 torn shoulder labrums this will work out really well

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Philc1 said:

We’re trading him for a late 2nd and drafting a 21 year old Qb who already has had 2 torn shoulder labrums this will work out really well

I don't have a clue anymore. Last thing i read is Saleh and LaFluer want Sam back. Douglas is the one who thinks we should move on. 

• WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, genot said:

If i was Sam, i'd say trade me. To anyone. I'll be the backup somewhere. Just get me out of here. If the philosophy is get our QB killed until we hit on draft picks. I'd want out, considering the last two years of o-line play, and whats been done to upgrade. Close to nothing 

They can always take out liability insurance. 

1 minute ago, Grandy said:

If you're that worried that you'll ruin a QB, he's probably not as good as you think. 

It's true we've failed to give Darnold adequate support, but as seen from recent trends, a truly good QB can overcome. We've definitely made his life harder but he still isnt good regardless.

Such a silly argument.

You need to support your QB - you need to develop that QB.  You don't just stick him out there and say good luck.

What recent trend of young QB's became good in bad situations?

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Grandy said:

If you're that worried that you'll ruin a QB, he's probably not as good as you think. 

It's true we've failed to give Darnold adequate support, but as seen from recent trends, a truly good QB can overcome. We've definitely made his life harder but he still isnt good regardless.

Just snap the ball behind Becton. We have to think outside the box. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Such a silly argument.

You need to support your QB - you need to develop that QB.  You don't just stick him out there and say good luck.

What recent trend of young QB's became good in bad situations?

Never said that you shouldn't, but the difference between a good and a bad QB isnt Joe Thuney. And if Zach Wilson or whoever sucks because we dont have Joe Thuney, then they would probably suck anyway.

Also to answer your question; Murray, Herbert, Burrow, Watson just to think of a few.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Grandy said:

Never said that you shouldn't, but the difference between a good and a bad QB isnt Joe Thuney. 

Also to answer your question; Murray, Herbert, Burrow, Watson just to think of a few.

You need to support a young QB.  I don't care what you say...you have to help develop the kid and that starts with the OL, then getting him weapons.  Right now the Jets have neither.

Watson had a stacked Offense...

Burrow (what happened to him?)

Cardinals had the 12th best OL in the league - different type of QB too.  

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I have to agree with this.

Let sam take the beating until JD is ready to solidify the OL

Looks, it's only been a few hours - let's see what we end up with if the OL isn't heavily upgraded, I have to agree.  You can't put a rookie behind that line and expect him to make progress.

In that thinking you could still take Wilson at #2, but keep Sam and let Darnold play much of next year. Sure we lose the draft picks we would get for trading down and for trading Darnold but we would still get the QB we want and use the other remaining draft picks on IOL as the priority. With that probably the 2nd 1st rounder should be a Guard to see if he can start right away. Or maybe a Solid C and move McGovern to the Guard spot. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m also disappointed that there were only two players that would’ve fortified the Jets OL, and they failed to hand out the $146M to acquire them. 

Just out of curiosity.  What should the Jets spend all this money on?

one year deals of other teams' back-ups? 

This is a league of playmakers, you don't win with a team of JAGS.  If you don't draft them, which we haven't.  You have to spend to acquire them.

I don't understand the fascination with not spending Woody Johnson's money - or care how much money Joe Thuney makes.  We're nowhere near tapping out the cap and have no good players to pay.  What are we saving it for?

• Post of the Week 4

I'm thinking about Sanchez's comments. Didn't want to listen then. But now. Sam needs to get out of there. It isn't a QB friendly environment. First two three and outs, they'll be booing him off the field. Those comments are starting to ring true. We had a chance to significantly upgrade our o-line, and we didn't do it. Doesn't matter to me what the reasons are. We needed to do that. And we didn't.

• Upvote 1

If people think getting thuney or Finley were all it took to turn this team around then there are a couple of bridges for sale over the east river.  The point is Douglas made a good offer for thuney and he opted for a different team.  That just emphasizes how important it is for the jets to build through the draft. It also emphasizes that the cap money still has to go somewhere and there are other players that fit the jets needs. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Just out of curiosity.  What should the Jets spend all this money on?

one year deals of other teams' back-ups? 

This is a league of playmakers, you don't win with a team of JAGS.  If you don't draft them, which we haven't.  You have to spend to acquire them.

I don't understand the fascination with not spending Woody Johnson's money - or care how much money Joe Thuney makes.  We're nowhere near tapping out the cap and have no good players to pay.  What are we saving it for?

You think it's some sort of felony. You make choices. Just because you overpay for a Thuney, doesn't mean you have to overpay for someone else. Upgrading the line was a key for the team. It allows Sam, or your newly drafted QB, to grow, without being subject to constant pressure. So, it's not just about the line. It's about your young QB whoever that might be.worth an overpay, i would say.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

If people think getting thuney or Finley were all it took to turn this team around then there are a couple of bridges for sale over the east river.  The point is Douglas made a good offer for thuney and he opted for a different team.  That just emphasizes how important it is for the jets to build through the draft. It also emphasizes that the cap money still has to go somewhere and there are other players that fit the jets needs. 

The offer wasn't good enough. He signed elsewhere. As did Linsley.

These guys choose to sign with teams who have established QBs. The longer we kick the QB issue down the road the longer the rebuild will take. If nothing else, trade Sam, draft Wilson/Fields and sign a veteran to start next season. They have to solve QB otherwise this team is just stuck in the mud.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, genot said:

You think it's some sort of felony. You make choices. Just because you overpay for a Thuney, doesn't mean you have to overpay for someone else. Upgrading the line was a key for the team. It allows Sam, or your newly drafted QB, to grow, without being subject to constant pressure. So, it's not just about the line. It's about your young QB whoever that might be.worth an overpay, i would say.

That's the part of it I think so many are missing.  

No, Thuney is not the missing piece is a championship run, the Jets are highly unlikely to win a championship while Thuney is under contract.  But that's not the only reason to spend big.  

Right now - EVERYTHING the Jets do should be about developing a franchise QB - having a piece like him would be invaluable to a young QB.