After whiffing on OL, the argument for keeping Sam strengthens

Just now, Philc1 said:

As bad as Sam was last year he’s better than any QB in this draft not named Trevor Lawrence 

Nobody knows this, Phil. Things aren't true just because you say them a lot. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m also disappointed that there were only two players that would’ve fortified the Jets OL, and they failed to hand out the $146M to acquire them. 

Exactly, why destroy another young QB? Lets just finish Sam off. 

Before you jump all over me, I've moved on from Sam mentally also.  I don't WANT to bring him back. But with this o-line?  They'll just ruin Zach Wilson too.  Why bother? After whiffing toda

Posted Images

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Nobody knows this, Phil. Things aren't true just because you say them a lot. 

Zach Wilson’s body ain’t holding up in the nfl and Fields is going to make you wish you had Sam back

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, slats said:

I’m also disappointed that there were only two players that would’ve fortified the Jets OL, and they failed to hand out the $146M to acquire them. 

Would you be happy if we made up for it by drafting more D-linemen?

So Linsley and Thuney were the only guys who can fix the line? Sorry guys, not buying it. I wanted either (both) of them as much as anyone, but between the draft and any cuts that are made tomorrow, there are still quite a few IOL options out there. I don’t think it’s time to panic at this point. And I sure as hell wouldn’t wait to fix QB until it’s done. 

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Flacco’s stats are inflated because he played very well against the Pats and he has always had Belichick’s number - he had 3 tds and 1 INT in that game

He only threw 3 tds in the other 4 combined games he played or started in

"He has always had Belichick's number" is not a thing. He's getting rid of the ball or he isn't. There isn't some magic spell he casts on Patriots defenders. 

Flacco sucks. He just sucked less than Darnold, older and coming off injury with no camp and limited practice time with his teammates and coaches. 

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

"He has always had Belichick's number" is not a thing. He's getting rid of the ball or he isn't. There isn't some magic spell he casts on Patriots defenders. 

Flacco sucks. He just sucked less than Darnold, older and coming off injury with no camp and limited practice time with his teammates and coaches. 

With all due respect Sperm it is a thing.  Flacco has beaten Belichick and Brady twice in the playoffs and would have beaten them a third time but threw a dumb pick into the endzone in the 2014 playoff game 

Just now, Philc1 said:

With all due respect Sperm it is a thing.  Flacco has beaten Belichick and Brady twice in the playoffs and would have beaten them a third time but threw a dumb pick into the endzone in the 2014 playoff game 

It isn't a thing. Football isn't magic.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I think if we change Qbs it’s via trade for Jimmy G

Please no. He'll turn 30 soon. Has only played more than 7 games once in his, what 7 yr career.

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

It's funny that if you were Sam, you would think you would have any leverage whatsoever

I wasn't speaking literally. Just emotionally.

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, genot said:

Please no. He'll turn 30 soon. Has only played more than 7 games once in his, what 7 yr career.

Well yeah 4 of those years he was backing up Tom Brady

52 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Zach Wilson’s body ain’t holding up in the nfl and Fields is going to make you wish you had Sam back

Right, but you also told us Mayfield would be an enormous bust before he ever played a snap in the NFL, so you'll forgive me if I wait to see what happens. 

My point isn't that you are wrong, my point is that none of us have any idea what Wilson or Fields are going to be in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Right, but you also told us Mayfield would be an enormous bust before he ever played a snap in the NFL, so you'll forgive me if I wait to see what happens. 

My point isn't that you are wrong, my point is that none of us have any idea what Wilson or Fields are going to be in the NFL. 

Ok you’re gloating about Case Keenum 2.0 now.  How’d Baker look behind a horrible offensive line in 2019?

Just now, Philc1 said:

Ok you’re gloating about Case Keenum 2.0 now.  How’d Baker look behind a horrible offensive line in 2019?

Better than Sam looked last year

• Upvote 2
Just now, slimjasi said:

Better than Sam looked last year

Baker was statistically the worst Qb in the nfl without an actual Offensive Line. The browns drafted Wills and signed Conklin. It’s not rocket science 

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Baker was statistically the worst Qb in the nfl without an actual Offensive Line. The browns drafted Wills and signed Conklin. It’s not rocket science 

Why do you feel the need to make things up? 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

The team has so many weaknesses but you build from the inside out and the Jets O line is the team's greatest weakness (and that says a lot).  Every coach worth his salt will acknowledge that the O line is the most important position group on the whole team.  It is the only group that makes every other position on the team better., It makes the QB better, the RBs better, the WRs better and even the D better by keeping it rested and off the field.

So, trade back from #2 and fortify the O line . Heck, I would not complaint if they Took a G, T and C with picks in the first three rounds, moved McGovern to G and went with 3 rookies on the O line. At least we can then hopefully put the O line issues in the rear view mirror.

14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Well yeah 4 of those years he was backing up Tom Brady

That's true. Lol. It was three years, though. Three of his 4 yrs in San Fran we're cut short by injury.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

20 years ago after losing to the Raiders twice in the playoffs in 01 and 02, all anyone talked about on Jets boards was how to beat the Raiders and building a team to beat the Raiders.  How did that turn out?

The NFL ebbs and flows. The Pats are no longer the dominant team in the AFC East - even with yesterday's free agent binge.  Build a team that can beat all the other 31 teams, not just one.  Flacco is done. Move on from him and move on from focusing on one team.

Just now, genot said:

That's true. Lol. It was three years, though. Three of his 4 yrs in San Fran we're cut short by injury.

Phil isn't really a numbers guy.  He's more of a "but he's midget QB!" kinda guy. 

• Upvote 1
Seriously?  The future of the QB position was dependent on signing 1 of 2 of the top free agent OL?  I would've liked to see the OL strengthened as well, but if KC was after Thuney and willing to pay top dollar, why would he sign with the Jets?  That means 10-15 were competing for Linsley.  The Jets should determine the future of the QB position based on their evaluation of the QBs and Darnold, not based on a free agent miss.  

Completely agree. “We would like to draft a player at the most important position in sports but we missed on a guard so.. “ is the dumbest take I’ve seen in awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
3 hours ago, genot said:

Yes, he’s injury prone.  He’s also better than most of the QBs in this draft

14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Yes, he’s injury prone.  He’s also better than most of the QBs in this draft

I think everybody needs to face the obvious reality. Douglas is very reluctant to trade Sam. If he really wanted to trade him, he'd already be gone.

• Upvote 2
Just now, genot said:

I think everybody needs to face the obvious reality. Douglas is very reluctant to trade Sam. If he really wanted to trade him, he'd already be gone.

He can’t get fair value for him plus the Jets are going to look really stupid if Sam has success somewhere like SF while Zach Wilson is on IR

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

He can’t get fair value for him plus the Jets are going to look really stupid if Sam has success somewhere like SF while Zach Wilson is on IR

Exactly. If a few teams have made an offer of a second. They're not coming back offering a first. All these teams want their QB issues resolved asap. This might sound silly, but i don't think they'd want to string Sam along like this. He's been a good soldier. When Douglas had a chance to do right by Mclendon, he traded him. 

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, genot said:

I think you are correct. 

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think you are correct. 

If i am correct. Im happy. I know you and a lot of others aren't. Let's see what Sam can do with this staff, system, and improved personal. If he fails, who knows. Watson might still be available next off season. 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, genot said:

If i am correct. Im happy. I know you and a lot of others aren't. Let's see what Sam can do with this staff, system, and improved personal. If he fails, who knows. Watson might still be available next off season

I hear you, but even if Sam isn't traded, that doesn't mean he's the opening day starter and it doesn't mean the Jets won't draft a QB. 

As for the bolded, I have felt that Watson wasn't happening for us for awhile now. Basically, even if the Texans crack and start negotiating, I seriously doubt that Douglas would part with the draft capital necessary to make it happen. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I hear you, but even if Sam isn't traded, that doesn't mean he's the opening day starter and it doesn't mean the Jets won't draft a QB. 

As for the bolded, I have felt that Watson wasn't happening for us for awhile now. Basically, even if the Texans crack and start negotiating, I seriously doubt that Douglas would part with the draft capital necessary to make it happen. 

If they draft a QB it would be a developmental player who fit's the system. A bunch of people honestly believe Sam hasn't scratched the surface on what kind of QB he could become. A little tidbit. Maybe you read the comments. Jordan Palmer said Gase was the only coach of the QB's he's worked with who had no interest in what Sam was working on during the off season. Palmer said all the other coaches he's had discussions with. With regards to Watson. If the Texan's play hardball, there is going to be a point of no return, and Watson either sits for the season, or plays for the Texan's. If it goes down like that, the Texans asking price will go down. With two 1st rd picks, he could be an option bext year, at a far cheaper price. Hope Sam,(if he's back), can really elevate his game, and prove his detractors wrong. It really would be the best for the team down the road.I've typed enough. Getting into Sperm territory now.Lol.

22 hours ago, GQMartin said:

The Jets should have figured out the QB situation prior to FA. 

Players could probably look past a team coming off a poor record but won’t overlook the fact that said team seemingly has no solutions for the bad record. 

Hmmm, what if their goal is to draft a quarterback how can they do that BEFORE free agency??   The only way this thinking makes sense is if they made a public declaration that they were going with Darnold or were really interested in trading for Watson.  In that case they should have made major offer prior to free agency, otherwise we have to acknowledge the point that the top FA lineman will probably go to play with established quarterbacks so Thuney and Linsey were never realistic signings to begin with.