i know good teams are built on smart signings and good drafting, but...

2 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

The line can be massively upgraded with two draft picks in 2021, and two in 2022.  The Jets are not a Thuney away from contending, and signing with the Chiefs and Missouri taxes is an easier sell than the Jets and New York taxes. 

The goal isn't contending next season its putting a offense on the field that can function and gives a young QB a chance at succeeding...why this is complicated for some I have no clue.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, undertow said:

The goal isn't contending next season its putting a offense on the field that can function and gives a young QB a chance at succeeding...why this is complicated for some I have no clue.

Not complicated at all and I'm not sure why such a simple concept is flying over people's heads. You don't over pay for free agents when you could draft your own. You don't win by over paying for other people's unwanted players. Why do simple concepts allude certain people?

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Not complicated at all and I'm not sure why such a simple concept is flying over people's heads. You don't over pay for free agents when you could draft your own. You don't win by over paying for other people's unwanted players. Why do simple concepts allude certain people?

What are you Woody Johnsons accountant ?  Put a effin solid online on the field next year so we can develop a QB not in 2023.  You are probably one of these toolbags that though it was genius to draft a back up QB because we will eventually trade him for more picks. 

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, undertow said:

What are you Woody Johnsons accountant ?  Put a effin solid online on the field next year so we can develop a QB not in 2023.  You are probably one of these toolbags that though it was genius to draft a back up QB because we will eventually trade him for more picks. 

I lost this debate because I was arguing with a child. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I lost this debate because I was arguing with a child. 

You lost the debate when you thought it was a good idea relying on the draft when we have the worst line in the league and we are most likely drafting another young QB.  This sh*t isn't rocket science .

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

If you want to believe it's not the GM's job to sell the team, the organization and to get guys excited  to join the Jets I won't argue with you.

I believe that is very much part of the job and his responsibility.   

Dude Im a life long Jets fan but if I have a choice of playing for KC or even Miami for the same money the Jets are offering, its not a hard decision.  If it was 16 million KC to 18 million Jets , Id still go KC.  Theres not a lot here to get excited about.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

12 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

David Bakhtiari $23 million

Laremy Tunsil $22 million

Ronnie Stanley $19.8 million.

Lane Johnson $18 million 

Garrett Bolles $17 million.

If the Jets had 3 of those guys at those numbers, I wouldn't be thrilled about it. Just signing the 'best' lineman doesn't always mean success, but it guarantees a contract that you can't get rid of easily. \

I don't agree with some things Douglas has done and I'm not sure he's on the right course, but not signing one of the 'top 5 money' guys at position doesn't mean he's not going to improve the team. 

Why spend all that money when you can get a better player at rookie scale?

C72B2ED5-0789-494B-81C8-FFB2A9A03C1B.thumb.jpeg.4212451f852ece583ca729171e849f8a.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

was it too much to ask for a signing just for the sake of getting a good player and making fans happy? we have the cap room, fans have been through hell and back with this team...seems like maybe you close your eyes and throw out a crazy number with a creative contract like good teams tend to do? give the fans something to hang their hat on after sucking them dry for season tickets to watch this sh*t product year after year.
...i know i am overreacting....i know we did this already with CJ M, and Bell and Tru...but getting a stud OL would have made all the difference for this team. Sad.

We don’t know how to be happy so how would JD know?

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Here’s the thing.  When Macc was spending like a madman you hated it but now that Douglas is not spending like crazy it’s also bad.  I know our fan base is bipolar but make up your mind ?.  He said pretty much from day 1 he wants to build through the draft.  He isn’t going to overpay FA.  I’m not saying it’s always the right decision but there is still a lot of good talent left out there.  I think some need to just relax and take a few deep breaths.  The offseason just started ? 

Yep...agree with you here, the one great big caveat being that he still has to actually improve the roster....year 1 he failed to do that.
The theory he’s adhering to is sound but it’s his execution of it that remains to be seen. He got it spectacularly wrong last year....has he learned?

13 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

JD is apparently betting it all on the draft.....his 2020 class was a meh class. The guy has some ego....

Well hes made his bed, now if this years class doesnt work out, the Jets are cooked....and so is he...

I hate his approach

You hate it.... Now I'm going to sleep well, because I know it's going to work. Anything you post is in complete opposite of the right way to do things for a good sustainable football team.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

If you want to believe it's not the GM's job to sell the team, the organization and to get guys excited  to join the Jets I won't argue with you.

I believe that is very much part of the job and his responsibility.   

Guys, I'm as mad that we didn't walk away with either Linsley or Thuney, but seriously, there is no way either of those deals were good deals. First they would have cost more, and second KC and SD. While I agree I do believe that JD needs to sell this team, it's hard to sell this team right now. We would have had to pay 90 MIL for Thuney to even sniff him, and there are 3 potential franchise centers is this years draft. Myers/Humphreys/Dickerson. So while I really wanted one of them it's not time to jump off the cliff. If we come out of the draft with one of those centers, and Davis/Smith at OG, then the line will be fine.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, undertow said:

You lost the debate when you thought it was a good idea relying on the draft when we have the worst line in the league and we are most likely drafting another young QB.  This sh*t isn't rocket science .

Which is one of the reasons, you're not in charge.... 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Guys, I'm as mad that we didn't walk away with either Linsley or Thuney, but seriously, there is no way either of those deals were good deals. First they would have cost more, and second KC and SD. While I agree I do believe that JD needs to sell this team, it's hard to sell this team right now. We would have had to pay 90 MIL for Thuney to even sniff him, and there are 3 potential franchise centers is this years draft. Myers/Humphreys/Dickerson. So while I really wanted one of them it's not time to jump off the cliff. If we come out of the draft with one of those centers, and Davis/Smith at OG, then the line will be fine.

I honestly don't really have a problem we missed out on those guys. I get it, you can't win them all and he had a value on.  I mean, personally, I would rather have seen him pay what it takes - but I can live with it.

I am although just tired of hearing all the excuses like we're rebuilding, taxes, NY sucks etc.  

This is NY F-ing city...Believe it or not there are a lot of people that LOVE NY City.  Willing to spend millions of dollars for tiny apartments to live in NY City.

People around here make it out like it's some type of hardship to live in NY.  It's absurd.

This excuse that somehow the Jets are a bad destination is because we've had bad GM's.  Overall, I'm just tired of excuses...just far too many of them.  Figure it out, get it done!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I honestly don't really have a problem we missed out on those guys. I get it, you can't win them all and he had a value on.  I mean, personally, I would rather have seen him pay what it takes - but I can live with it.

I am although just tired of hearing all the excuses like we're rebuilding, taxes, NY sucks etc.  

This is NY F-ing city...Believe it or not there are a lot of people that LOVE NY City.  Willing to spend millions of dollars for tiny apartments to live in NY City.

People around here make it out like it's some type of hardship to live in NY.  It's absurd.

This excuse that somehow the Jets are a bad destination is because we've had bad GM's.  Overall, I'm just tired of excuses...just far too many of them.  Figure it out, get it done!

Yea, not so much anymore... I grew up in NJ, and worked in the city, I couldn't wait to get out. But I get your point...

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So people don't spend Millions of dollars for tiny apartments anymore?

I wouldn't know. I haven't lived in NJ for 5 years now. But I'm sure they do, because that's what it costs to live in that city. You wouldn't catch me doing that even if I still lived up north.

15 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

But that is part of the Job of the GM - to get things done.  To close deals.  To figure out a way to make it happen.

It's kinda like a Sales person telling their boss - "Well, there were other guys selling a similar product and the buyers just liked him better". That sales person wouldn't have a job for very long.

JD has failed so far at that.  Again, it's very early - I agree.  But right now his FA track record is abysmal.

Thuney choosing the Chiefs was a easy choice on his part I guess some fans thought JD should have threatened to kill his family if he didn't sign with him..LOL 

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Totally agree.  The metro NYC area if you're a professional who's on their game is one of the best places to live in the world.  The city itself is amazing and if you want to raise a family in a house there are more beautiful suburban communities around NYC than anywhere in America.   I just moved back to the area after 6 years in Scottsdale.   I love it here.  

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Biggs said:

Totally agree.  The metro NYC area if you're a professional who's on their game is one of the best places to live in the world.  The city itself is amazing and if you want to raise a family in a house there are more beautiful suburban communities around NYC than anywhere in America.   I just moved back to the area after 6 years in Scottsdale.   I love it here.  

really? even with the cold weather? i am trying to get somewhere warm lol

12 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Thuney choosing the Chiefs was a easy choice on his part I guess some fans thought JD should have threatened to kill his family if he didn't sign with him..LOL 

JD needed to upgrade to the OL this yea, so far he has failed to do that yet.  The Jets had a bottom five OL in the league last year - after he basically rebuilt it.  He did not do a very good job last year.

He has yet to upgrade it this year yet.  

I'm not saying he won't, just saying he hasn't.  If you want to continue to make excuses for his failures in building a quality OL I won't stop you - I'm done with them though.

I saw him last year, run around and sign crappy players (mostly back-ups from other teams) to our OL and watch our fan base laud him for it.  

This year there were two high quality FA OL available, at positions of need - while we had a lot of cap space.  He failed to land either of them.  We're now faced with ...

1) Sign other bottom of the barrel OL FA's...which may or may not upgrade our OL

2) Use draft picks to solidify the OL - but that is very high risk

3) Roll with what we have...

None of those options are particularly appealing when in all likelihood we're bringing in a rookie QB.  I'm sorry but the OL needed to be the single most important position to upgrade.   We didn't need to pay starter money to a back-up LB.  

Again, if you're okay with the standard excuses, I'm really not even going to fight it - for me, personally, they're not good enough anymore.

Fix the F-in OL.

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

JD needed to upgrade to the OL this yea, so far he has failed to do that yet.  The Jets had a bottom five OL in the league last year - after he basically rebuilt it.  He did not do a very good job last year.

He has yet to upgrade it this year yet.  

I'm not saying he won't, just saying he hasn't.  If you want to continue to make excuses for his failures in building a quality OL I won't stop you - I'm done with them though.

I saw him last year, run around and sign crappy players (mostly back-ups from other teams) to our OL and watch our fan base laud him for it.  

This year there were two high quality FA OL available, at positions of need - while we had a lot of cap space.  He failed to land either of them.  We're now faced with ...

1) Sign other bottom of the barrel OL FA's...which may or may not upgrade our OL

2) Use draft picks to solidify the OL - but that is very high risk

3) Roll with what we have...

None of those options are particularly appealing when in all likelihood we're bringing in a rookie QB.  I'm sorry but the OL needed to be the single most important position to upgrade.   We didn't need to pay starter money to a back-up LB.  

Again, if you're okay with the standard excuses, I'm really not even going to fight it - for me, personally, they're not good enough anymore.

Fix the F-in OL.

I agree 100% on fixing the O-line and JD as a former O lineman I think will get it done. However at this point in time the Jets money aside is not in the same league as teams like the Chiefs. So top talent should be found in the draft not FA IMO..

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

I agree 100% on fixing the O-line and JD as a former O lineman I think will get it done. However at this point in time the Jets money aside is not in the same league as teams like the Chiefs. So top talent should be found in the draft not FA IMO..

It’s just not going to happen for us with free agents.  We have to draft well and build an actual NFL roster the old school way

17 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Fair enough.

If he does go out and take OL with 2 of our top 4 picks (after Qb at 2) - say #23 and Darnold - I'll certainly feel much better.

But if he goes on to take a  QB at 2, and then defense with two of the three at 23, 34 and Darnold - it'll be absolutely infuriating.

17 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

But that is part of the Job of the GM - to get things done.  To close deals.  To figure out a way to make it happen.

It's kinda like a Sales person telling their boss - "Well, there were other guys selling a similar product and the buyers just liked him better". That sales person wouldn't have a job for very long.

JD has failed so far at that.  Again, it's very early - I agree.  But right now his FA track record is abysmal.

Well the night went pretty well no?