Jets sign WR Corey Davis from Titans

8 hours ago, The Troll said:

I don’t really get it. He was a borderline top 5 FA WR IMO, but we prioritized him like he was the cream of the crop.

I’m wondering if there’s something about Golladay that we don’t know. WRs like him don’t just hit unrestricted free agency. They get franchised or they get traded because they’re a dickface. Plus, he missed almost all of last year with a mysterious injury. There are enough red flags there to give pause.

I love Will Fuller. That being said, I can understand not wanting to give him a big contract based on his many issues.

What I absolutely do not get is prioritizing Davis over Curtis Samuel. Samuel seems like a dream fit in the Jets new offense. He was used as a hybrid WR/RB last season. While I wouldn’t go as far as saying that’s the EXACT way Deebo and Aiyuk are used, the Niners run a metric ****load of jet sweeps and touch passes.

I’m ok with Davis. I’d be much okayer with Samuel.

Compromise Shrug GIF

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I honestly don't care. A QB should have multiple, reliable targets so he can spread it around. That's harder to defend than a team with just 1-2 legit targets out of 4. The "true #1" is great to have, don't get me wrong, but also isn't a prerequisite.

I disagree.

A legit #1 pulls coverage, requires the occasional double-team coverage, and keeps Safeties and LB's honest.

A team with a cadre of #2's can far more safely be single-covered, and safeties and LB's sent blitzing instead of staying back.

Part of our problem is we have not had anyone who scares anyone.  We have no one that opposing teams must consider, must plan around, must use defensive assets to contain.  And those free assets are used to pressure the QB, to poor ends for us.

A #1 WR than can dominate a game is absolutely a requisite for real success in the passing game, and opens up the field for the #2's, slot guys, TE's and RB's elsewhere and he drags coverage with him.

The Brady factor aside, what made Tampa harder to defend was having 4 legit guys that could beat you downfield, not just because they had Mike Evans. Ditto all his years sans-Moss in NE. Or for Wilson in Seattle.

You cannot separate the Pats/Bucks "Brady Factor".  Cite a team without Brady if you have one, because Brady both has a #1 and makes the whole system work.

The 3 WRs they have are fine (Mims being the biggest concern of the 3). I prefer they sign another veteran and/or draft someone beyond an unserious late pick, but at this point they lack a reliable TE far more than another major WR upgrade.

Oh yeah. And a QB. Darnold thus far isn't a QB.

Davis, Mims, Crowder is enough?  No, sir.

But yes, QB needs fixed.

3 hours ago, football guy said:

In regards to JuJu, the person who told me they thought the Jets would sign him said the team wasn’t bothered by the “social media antics”, so throw that away. She thinks this came down to Douglas and Saleh preferring Davis’s upside and Douglas favoring his “type”. 

I know the coaches want short area burst; guys who are explosive playmakers that they can scheme touches, but Davis checked the boxes Douglas/Saleh agreed on... size, speed, toughness, versatility, and character. I didn’t realize how good of a blocker he was; I’m sure that played into it too.

As far as how Davis fits, watch 2015-16 Julio Jones tape to get an idea how they plan on using him. That role seems perfect for Corey Davis’s skill set but I kind of figured the Jets would try to use Mims that way. There’s certainly an aspect of redundancy the offensive coaches will have to work through. I just hope it doesn’t result in a lesser role for Mims.

I'm glad Douglas pivoted in this direction.  Davis at the price we got him >>>> JuJu at whatever his price point would have been here.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

There are many ways to acquire talent, FA is one of those vehicles and then there is the draft and trades. My observation is based on how JD has handled offense thus far during his tenure.  Becton was kind of a no brainer and then JD showed you how he valued offensive talent by trading down numerous times off WR's/RB's to eventually luckily land Mims and the early returns were not good, so we'll see how that pans out.  He then prioritized a Safety and a never healthy pass rusher over numerous talented skills players.  He then waited to take a very limited RB in the 4th RD and signed, Frank Gore.  He then took a project QB who couldnt even dress over more, offense skills players and OL.    He let Robby Anderson walk for sh*tty ass Breshard Perriman and Chris Hogan.

There is a sh*t ton I would have done different.  Namely his draft, it sucked.  I would have resigned Robby. Perriman is terrible, just about every single decent FA WR would have been a better signing.  I would have 100% put our name in the hat for the trades that went down ie; Diggs, Hopkins, Hurst, etc.  Anyone other then the worst RB in the league in Gore would have worked.  

Look, I'm just making an observation.  The league requires a talented offense with playmakers.  Who's the play maker that JD has acquired over the last 3 years?  I know it's not easy to say but the answer is, nobody.

So far, you're mostly correct, though I absolutely qualify Mims as a playmaker.

If he fails to take a quality WR or TE prospect in the first couple rounds of the draft, I will absolutely be pissed.  But I see no reason why he would fail to take one.  He took a WR in round 2 last year and he has a ton of picks to use.  Why are you assuming he won't take one until Round 4?

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

While you’re not wrong, I think that’s a colder than needed take - but ultimately you’re correct. Playmakers can’t continue to be less than priority number 1. 

might not be a flashy reply but you also have to give him a chance to learn from the past. No one starts day 1 killing it all the time. If he repeats some of those decisions this year... we’ll then we have a problem. 

That’s why I’m really interested to see how he approaches the draft this year.  Obviously he needs to solve QB, but now with the signing of Davis, there needs to be some infusion of speed and explosiveness for this offense.   Samuel would be a nice get, but it’s looking like drafting Moore with 34 is a smart viable option.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That’s why I’m really interested to see how he approaches the draft this year.  Obviously he needs to solve QB, but now with the signing of Davis, there needs to be some infusion of speed and explosiveness for this offense.   Samuel would be a nice get, but it’s looking like drafting Moore with 34 is a smart viable option.  

Rondale would be electric. If we trade back. And come out of rounds 1 and 2 with Pitts and Moore - can you imagine? I wouldn’t know what to do with myself. 

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Good post.  I’m really interested to see what he does in the draft this year.  For all the moves and acquisitions he made last year, he really didn’t improve the situation all that much.  He made a nice trade for Jamal and drafted a no brainer with Becton.   At some point there needs to be progress made on the field in terms of wins, this perpetual rebuild mode has an end date.  

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

While you’re not wrong, I think that’s a colder than needed take - but ultimately you’re correct. Playmakers can’t continue to be less than priority number 1. 

might not be a flashy reply but you also have to give him a chance to learn from the past. No one starts day 1 killing it all the time. If he repeats some of those decisions this year... we’ll then we have a problem. 

It's still early and the draft will be telling but again, I'm just making an observation.  He seems to be fine with 2nd tier/3rd tier talent at skills positions.  That could change, obviously and it could also work, I dont know....just making an observation.  

My personal opinion is, I'd prioritize some game changers but as you guys said, we'll see how handles the draft and how he finishes FA.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Diggs has a 70 mil, 40mil guaranteed contract.  

Davis deal is a $37.5mil deal with $27 million guaranteed.

You might also want to add the picks traded in to the total cost to the Bills

So call me stupid and silly.  Whatever makes you feel smart and stuff 

So FO

The Bills only are paying for the years that Diggs is.. ya know.. on their team. They don't have to retroactively pay for the years he played for Minnesota. 

Now you know. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So far, you're mostly correct, though I absolutely qualify Mims as a playmaker.

If he fails to take a quality WR or TE prospect in the first couple rounds of the draft, I will absolutely be pissed.  But I see no reason why he would fail to take one.  He took a WR in round 2 last year and he has a ton of picks to use.  Why are you assuming he won't take one until Round 4?

I'm hopeful for Mims, loved him predraft but that's a stretch.  We'll see 

And he was the like what, 14th WR off the board and it was pretty much luck that he was there.  And then that was it from a pass catcher perspective in a deep draft, no TE, no WR, no real WR option in FA not a serious attempt at RB.  Again, it's just how I see him treating the offense.  He prioritized a career underachiever, just like he was perfectly happy with Perriman over Anderson.  It might work, who knows but that seems to be his approach.

I dont know what he'll do in the draft but he doesnt strike me as someone that is going to prioritize the position with Mims, Davis and Crowder on the roster.  Could be wrong but I assume we're done there.  They just resigned Vyncent Smith too. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

You cannot separate the Pats/Bucks "Brady Factor".  Cite a team without Brady if you have one, because Brady both has a #1 and makes the whole system work.

1. Rams
  2. Seahawks
  3. Bucs before Brady got there were the #3 offense with Winston turning the ball over like so often you'd think it was his intent. Even without Evans they averaged 38ppg last year. Didn't really fall apart (20 and 14 points on offense in the final 2 games) until they'd lost both Evans and Godwin at the same time.
  4. Ravens 2019 (led the league in TD passes without a #1 WR. Arguably without a #2 WR. Definitely worse than the Jets have right now.)
  5. Colts top 10 offense in 2020 (28ppg). Their #1 WR was a 31 year-old has-been who produces than Anderson did with Darnold.
  6. Saints, even without Michael Thomas this past year (and for 4 starts, with Taysom Hill at QB).
  7. (I'm sure there are other instances, not too far in the distant past, if I wanted to keep re-editing this post)

Understand, though, there aren't a zillion examples of teams with offenses that are:

• successful
  • without a #1
  • without a QB you can say, "Aw that doesn't count because he's what makes it work."

It's not like there are hundreds of teams; it's a tall order because it's just not that common. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

The Bills only are paying for the years that Diggs is.. ya know.. on their team. They don't have to retroactively pay for the years he played for Minnesota. 

Now you know. 

What does what the left over of the contract have to do with who's paid more?  What does most of the years and the bonus already paid have to do with the Jets deal with Davis?  Other than to bitch about a Jet signing and stuff 

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

A legit #1 pulls coverage, requires the occasional double-team coverage, and keeps Safeties and LB's honest.

A team with a cadre of #2's can far more safely be single-covered, and safeties and LB's sent blitzing instead of staying back.

What makes a #1 in your opinion then?  I hear it all the time but Davis, on a run first team in 14 games had just a hair under 1,000 yards, 15 per.  With his size, he has to be accounted for so why are we saying he isnt or cant be called a 1?.  Its like when everyone argued that Anderson wasnt a 1 here, would never be a 1.  The Bucs strength of their passing game absolutely has to give a lot of their credit to their depth at WR

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'm not saying hes a top WR but not one receiver on the Bucs had more yards than what Davis had in his 14 games, unless we're splitting hairs with Evans having a 22 more yards in his 2 extra games.  So where's the value of being able to say Evans is a #1 when their numbers are so similar, why isnt Davis a 1?  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I think you’re mistaken, personally. Or you underestimate how good Mims will be. Davis will take a backseat to Denzel sooner than later. The role you described is what Davis failed to secure in TEN... I like Davis a lot, but he’s not gonna fill that Brandon Aiyuk role in Lafleur’s offense. Mims will be in the role and will blow up this year - while Davis will be a valuable and overdue 2nd option on the outside, rotating in. 

Trust me, I hope I'm wrong. I just think Mims will take a backseat for a year or 2 unless he can beat out Davis for reps at the "X" spot. If Davis blows up in this role, we may never get a chance to see what Mims is truly capable of as a "#1" receiver in green and white. If Corey Davis is good-not-great, or proves to be a solid fit as a "movement" WR and Mims shines in his opportunities as an "X", then I'd expect the Jets to let Davis walk when his contract expires and prioritize Mims. They're both under contract for 3 years so in many ways, they're not only competing for specific roles, reps, and targets, but they are also competing for the next contract. I just think that Mims still has a lot of development to do, while Corey Davis is getting ready to enter his prime. If Davis is utilized as the primary "X", we may not see Mims truly blossom until his 4th year/next team. 

9 minutes ago, football guy said:

Trust me, I hope I'm wrong. I just think Mims will take a backseat for a year or 2 unless he can beat out Davis for reps at the "X" spot. If Davis blows up in this role, we may never get a chance to see what Mims is truly capable of as a "#1" receiver in green and white. If Corey Davis is good-not-great, or proves to be a solid fit as a "movement" WR and Mims shines in his opportunities as an "X", then I'd expect the Jets to let Davis walk when his contract expires and prioritize Mims. They're both under contract for 3 years so in many ways, they're not only competing for specific roles, reps, and targets, but they are also competing for the next contract. I just think that Mims still has a lot of development to do, while Corey Davis is getting ready to enter his prime. If Davis is utilized as the primary "X", we may not see Mims truly blossom until his 4th year/next team. 

I get what you’re saying. Your logic is sound. It’s an accurate assessment of the situation and possible outcomes - the difference is I believe Mims is just better than Davis and not as unrefined as you might see him as. The beauty of this is those two will be in a friendly dog fight for X this summer in camp. 

6 hours ago, JiF said:

Seems to me that JD isnt going to please fans with his attention to offensive weapons.  He seems completely fine with rolling out 2nd/3rd rate talent on that side of the ball, which is awesome because offensive talent isnt important.  It's not like the good teams have playmakers or anything like that...I fully expect not to see a skills player taken in the draft till the 4th round.

Somebody had to say it

Abc Yes GIF by The Bachelorette

34 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What makes a #1 in your opinion then?  I hear it all the time but Davis, on a run first team in 14 games had just a hair under 1,000 yards, 15 per.  With his size, he has to be accounted for so why are we saying he isnt or cant be called a 1?.  Its like when everyone argued that Anderson wasnt a 1 here, would never be a 1.  The Bucs strength of their passing game absolutely has to give a lot of their credit to their depth at WR

I'm not saying hes a top WR but not one receiver on the Bucs had more yards than what Davis had in his 14 games, unless we're splitting hairs with Evans having a 22 more yards in his 2 extra games so what's the value of being able to say Evans is a #1 when their numbers are so similar, why isnt Davis a 1? 

Teams don't gameplan to stop Davis.  He was at least third priority of opposing D-Co's behind Henry and Brown, and 4th in the redzone also behind the TE Smith.

Teams gameplan to stop Evans. On a loaded WR/TE team, he got over 100 targets and caught 13 TD's.  He was the #1 target everywhere, and the most dangerous WR on the field, and he pulled double coverage.  

Listen, if (like is going on with Lawson), you want to inflate this guy into a #1, project him to be great here, have at it. 

It's honestly only your own disappointment at risk.   

Personally, I'll be appalled if Davis/Mims/Crowder is our #1/#2/Slot in 2021.  That's amongst the weakest WR units in the NFL.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Teams don't gameplan to stop Davis.  He was at least third priority of opposing D-Co's behind Henry and Brown, and 4th in the redzone also behind the TE Smith.

Teams gameplan to stop Evans. On a loaded WR/TE team, he got over 100 targets and caught 13 TD's.  He was the #1 target everywhere, and the most dangerous WR on the field, and he pulled double coverage.  

Listen, if (like is going on with Lawson), you want to inflate this guy into a #1, project him to be great here, have at it. 

Personally, I'll be appalled if Davis/Mims/Crowder is our #1/#2/Slot in 2021.  That's amongst the weakest WR units in the NFL.

Davis/Mims/Crowder is our best group of starting WRs since 2015

Who did you want?  Golladay with his bum hip?

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

How do any of us know who is game planned for or not?  I still dont get why you game plan for a #1 who has 65 catches for almost 1000 yards in 14 and you do for a guy who catches 100 for 1000 in 16 games.  Theyre kind of the same guy.  So other than saying Evans is a 1 and Davis is a 2 I dont see it

Again other than guessing, why is Evans a guy you game plan and Davis not.  

I have no idea how Davis/Mims/Crowder, if Mims progresses could come close to being the leagues worst.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Mims is unproven needs to stay healthy all season. 

Good on paper. 

Need to add a  #1 WR 

There’s just one available in free agency and he would cost us Julio Jones money.

Now if you want to draft Kyle Pitts I can absolutely get on board that guy is going to be a monster

Mims is unproven needs to stay healthy all season. 

Good on paper. 

Need to add a  #1 WR 

ok, except other than a banged up golladay, there aren't any #1s available.

and we all know that if the jets sign golladay to a large contract, that hip will be a lingering issue, because....the jets

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How do any of us know who is game planned for or not?  I still dont get why you game plan for a #1 who has 65 catches for almost 1000 yards in 14 and you do for a guy who catches 100 for 1000 in 16 games.  Theyre kind of the same guy.  So other than saying Evans is a 1 and Davis is a 2 I dont see it

Again other than guessing, why is Evans a guy you game plan and Davis not.  

I have no idea how Davis/Mims/Crowder, if Mims progresses could come close to being the leagues worst.  

If they don’t “game plan” for you you are obviously not effective?

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Davis/Mims/Crowder is our best group of starting WRs since 2015

Just because something tastes better when compared to dog sh*t, that doesn't make it filet mignon.

But sure, despite almost no one wanting either guy in the leadup to Free Agency, Jets Fans are not hastily convincing themselves we got all pro's at WR and Edge.

Same story every year.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Philc1 said:

There’s just one available in free agency and he would cost us Julio Jones money.

Now if you want to draft Kyle Pitts I can absolutely get on board that guy is going to be a monster

NY Jets have $51.826 million in cap space left after signing Davis,Davis,Lawson. 

Why not the more offensive weapons we have the better and will drastically improve the QB play no matter who it is. 

NY Jets have $51.826 million in cap space left after signing Davis,Davis,Lawson. 

Why not the more offensive weapons we have the better and will drastically improve the QB play no matter who it is. 

Because Allen Robinson isn’t worth Julio Jones money.  Plus we still have holes galore on both sides of the ball we probably have to spend another $40 million at least to make this roster even semi-decent

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Just because something tastes better when compared to dog sh*t, that doesn't make it filet mignon.

But sure, despite almost no one wanting either guy in the leadup to Free Agency, Jets Fans are not hastily convincing themselves we got all pro's at WR and Edge.

Same story every year.  

If you think Mims/Davis/Crowder is dogsh~t that’s a unique opinion

• Upvote 1

Just now, Philc1 said:

Because Allen Robinson isn’t worth Julio Jones money.  Plus we still have holes galore on both sides of the ball we probably have to spend another $40 million at least to make this roster even semi-decent

Allen Robinson was tagged JD is not giving up the money or the draft picks. 

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If they don’t “game plan” for you you are obviously not effective?

Actually the only reason Davis was "as effective" as Evans, less oh about 8 TD's lol, is because opposing teams were busy worrying about Henry and Brown and Smith most of the time, giving Davis more opportunity against lesser players in coverage.  

But ok, you guys have clearly convinced yourself we're good at WR now.  So sure, lets see how it works out.  One of these seasons the hype/hope crowd has to be right about somebody, maybe this is your year.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm not saying Davis is a #1 receiver, and I'm on record many times before that I think that's probably the most overrated asset by fans, but I'm curious as to what people think a stat line looks like for a #1 WR?  Without going and looking at someone's stats from previous seasons.

The numbers for NFL receivers in today's game are staggering.  A top 10 NFL WR in today's game should be over 1200 yards and very close to 100 catches at least be in the high 90's.  Also when a guy has a career year on his contract year and it deviates from his normal production be prepared for them to revert to their norm. 

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Where does this even come from, come on.   

Who called either player all pros?  Who was better, how much better in FA?  

Why does it have to be Jets fans convincing themselves.  Every report last night was how well JD did. 

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

The numbers for NFL receivers in today's game are staggering.  A top 10 NFL WR in today's game should be over 1200 yards and very close to 100 catches at least be in the high 90's.  Also when a guy has a career year on his contract year and it deviates from his normal production be prepared for them to revert to their norm. 

Top 10 WRs are like Elite Pass Rushers good luck trying to get one in free agency

Davis was the best and healthiest WR available. Put up good numbers with Marco “The Bust” Mariota and Ryan “the checkdown” Tannehill