Jets sign WR Corey Davis from Titans

26 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I like Davis as a good complementary WR. He's never going to be "Batman", but he will be a good "Robin".

Reminds me a little bit of Braylon Edwards with better hands and route running.  I think he can be good for 1,000 yards and 4-6 TDs in this system, but I don’t know if he’ll ever put up 1500-1600 and double digit TDs like some of the upper echelon guys.  For the price we got him at, I’m more than ok with him.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

7 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Part of the reason I’m ok with this is because I still think Mims will develop into a 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.   Plus I think there are a lot more of the smaller YAC type receivers in the draft this year.  Add Moore at 34 and I think we’re finally turning the corner at the WR position. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, win4ever said:

I live in Nashville and watch Titans games because.....well it's on TV.  

He's the epitome of a middle tier No. 2 guy.  He thrived in TN because the No. 1 WR is AJ Brown, and Henry is the No. 1 option on offense.  

I wanted someone that could create on their own (Be it Samuel/Galloday) because we don't have a No. 1 WR nor a No. 1 option on offense.  

If we can actually surround him with weapons, yes, but that's not the case here unless we think Mims can be the AJ Brown of the offense.

Interesting. 

Pretty much the opposite of every report I've heard about him

Was a #1 playing as a 2.  

Numbers suffered from a run oriented offense.  

12 hours ago, win4ever said:

I live in Nashville and watch Titans games because.....well it's on TV.  

He's the epitome of a middle tier No. 2 guy.  He thrived in TN because the No. 1 WR is AJ Brown, and Henry is the No. 1 option on offense.  

I wanted someone that could create on their own (Be it Samuel/Galloday) because we don't have a No. 1 WR nor a No. 1 option on offense.  

If we can actually surround him with weapons, yes, but that's not the case here unless we think Mims can be the AJ Brown of the offense.

Not at all what I see from him.

It's not like he's just getting open because of scheme or lack of attention. He makes tough physical catches in traffic when the coverage is tight. That type of guy will be an option regardless of where/what he is. He's improved a lot since his early days in the league, seems more comfortable with what he is. If anything concerns me it's that Mims may be way too similar. If anything we want Mims to make the same improvement Davis made - He needs to compete better with contested passes and get more separation, criticisms that were levelled at Davis when he came into the league. 

It's encouraging how much he's improved and he may not have peaked yet. 

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Part of the reason I’m ok with this is because I still think Mims will develop into a 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People expecting #1 wideout performance will be disappointed with Davis. However, Davis is good, strong and he’s best used out wide and going towards the middle. He raises the talent level of our WR depth chart and that is gonna help our offense a lot. The guy will move the sticks on 3rd down and that’s very important.

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Anything Douglas was always the best course of action & changes what was the shrewd path all along.

Signing nobody = This was smart & part of the plan because signing others' FAs is stupid.

He signed Corey Davis unexpectedly = Douglas is great. This was smart & part of the plan because he's proven very good at signing others' FAs.

Lol

#SchitzoidNation.com

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

People expecting #1 wideout performance will be disappointed with Davis. However, Davis is good, strong and he’s best used out wide and going towards the middle. He raises the talent level of our WR depth chart and that is gonna help our offense a lot. The guy will move the sticks on 3rd down and that’s very important.

If he can elevate the other WR's around him, that would be a great start. I only watched him a little bit at Tenn, but I know I like him better than Robbie Anderson.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Troll said:

I don’t really get it. He was a borderline top 5 FA WR IMO, but we prioritized him like he was the cream of the crop.

I’m wondering if there’s something about Golladay that we don’t know. WRs like him don’t just hit unrestricted free agency. They get franchised or they get traded because they’re a dickface. Plus, he missed almost all of last year with a mysterious injury. There are enough red flags there to give pause.

I love Will Fuller. That being said, I can understand not wanting to give him a big contract based on his many issues.

What I absolutely do not get is prioritizing Davis over Curtis Samuel. Samuel seems like a dream fit in the Jets new offense. He was used as a hybrid WR/RB last season. While I wouldn’t go as far as saying that’s the EXACT way Deebo and Aiyuk are used, the Niners run a metric ****load of jet sweeps and touch passes.

I’m ok with Davis. I’d be much okayer with Samuel.

Pretty much. There's gotta be something going on with Golladay- either the hip is really bad or he's just totally uncoachable...or just a mix of both.

Davis is a fine filler signing...the issue he's he's auto starting now with his contract for at least 2 seasons...and the goal is to get better playmakers on the outside. He's a jag/slight above jag and has been an overall disappointment for a top 5 pick. He's going to a worse situation. Maybe he's a late bloomer, but meh.

• Upvote 1

Seems to me that JD isnt going to please fans with his attention to offensive weapons.  He seems completely fine with rolling out 2nd/3rd rate talent on that side of the ball, which is awesome because offensive talent isnt important.  It's not like the good teams have playmakers or anything like that...I fully expect not to see a skills player taken in the draft till the 4th round.

• WTF? 4

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Pretty much. There's gotta be something going on with Golladay- either the hip is really bad or he's just totally uncoachable...or just a mix of both.

Davis is a fine filler signing...the issue he's he's auto starting now with his contract for at least 2 seasons...and the goal is to get better playmakers on the outside. He's a jag/slight above jag and has been an overall disappointment for a top 5 pick. He's going to a worse situation. Maybe he's a late bloomer, but meh.

or, the plan is to keep darnold, trade back and use the first round to get a true #1 playmaker and then you have the draftee, davis, mims and crowder.  the problem we fans have is that we're mostly assuming darnold is gone.  but as more qbs change teams, the landing spots for him dwindle.  where is darnold going now - SF?  pittsburgh?  do we really think chicago wants him?

17 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Meh puts it succinctly. I can't shake the Justin McCareins vibes this gives me.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

why does every current jet have to be a reincaernation of a jet from the past?  davis is a decent wr, better than we've drafted in a decade.

Only bad ones at that.

"Meh I can't shake the Justin McCareins vibes this gives me."  Why?  Because theyre bot WRs?

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

why does every current jet have to be a reincaernation of a jet from the past?  davis is a decent wr, better than we've drafted in a decade.

Only because Robby was undrafted, lol.

And maybe you're right since we're still waiting on that reincarnation of Joe Namath.

People this a great signing.  He was considered one of the Titans best players.  The guy is solid physically and hard to bring down.  Snatches the ball and best for last, does not get injured.  Now somehow go and draft the WR from Alabama and we will be set.  Even Sam could hit one of these two targets or maybe not.

21 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You had me until the jag part. He can be a disappointment for a pick that high without being a jag.

Perriman, despite all the "he's an upgrade [or not a downgrade] from Anderson" idiocy a year ago, is a jag.

Davis is a legit #2 at worst. Tenn doesn't throw the ball even 500x and no one on the team got the 8-10 targets/game requisite to put up major numbers.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

You had me until the jag part. He can be a disappointment for a pick that high without being a jag.

Perriman, despite all the "he's an upgrade [or not a downgrade] from Anderson" idiocy a year ago, is a jag.

Davis is a legit #2 at worst. Tenn doesn't throw the ball even 500x and no one on the team got the 8-10 targets/game requisite to put up major numbers.

davis is not expected to be the #1 and once we accept this, the signing becomes better.

• Upvote 1

In regards to JuJu, the person who told me they thought the Jets would sign him said the team wasn’t bothered by the “social media antics”, so throw that away. She thinks this came down to Douglas and Saleh preferring Davis’s upside and Douglas favoring his “type”. 

I know the coaches want short area burst; guys who are explosive playmakers that they can scheme touches, but Davis checked the boxes Douglas/Saleh agreed on... size, speed, toughness, versatility, and character. I didn’t realize how good of a blocker he was; I’m sure that played into it too.

As far as how Davis fits, watch 2015-16 Julio Jones tape to get an idea how they plan on using him. That role seems perfect for Corey Davis’s skill set but I kind of figured the Jets would try to use Mims that way. There’s certainly an aspect of redundancy the offensive coaches will have to work through. I just hope it doesn’t result in a lesser role for Mims.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

Seems to me that JD isnt going to please fans with his attention to offensive weapons.  He seems completely fine with rolling out 2nd/3rd rate talent on that side of the ball, which is awesome because offensive talent isnt important.  It's not like the good teams have playmakers or anything like that...I fully expect not to see a skills player taken in the draft till the 4th round.

The WR free agent market the last 2 years  has been pretty thin, at best. Aside from Kenny Golladay has there been a WR available that could be considered a #1? Corey Davis, and it's not saying much, is one of the better free agent WRs on the market the last 2  years. 

Do you really want to spend money/capital on a RB after  his rookie Contract?

So what would you have done different?

After this year, JD will likely have used 3 1st round picks on offense (QB/OL/OL) and a 2nd round pick on WR. How much more resources do you want a GM to put into the offense during a rebuild? 

And let's remember, free agency isn't over.