Jets sign WR Corey Davis from Titans

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

In regards to JuJu, the person who told me they thought the Jets would sign him said the team wasn’t bothered by the “social media antics”, so throw that away. She thinks this came down to Douglas and Saleh preferring Davis’s upside and Douglas favoring his “type”. 

I know the coaches want short area burst; guys who are explosive playmakers that they can scheme touches, but Davis checked the boxes Douglas/Saleh agreed on... size, speed, toughness, versatility, and character. I didn’t realize how good of a blocker he was; I’m sure that played into it too.

As far as how Davis fits, watch 2015-16 Julio Jones tape to get an idea how they plan on using him. That role seems perfect for Corey Davis’s skill set but I kind of figured the Jets would try to use Mims that way. There’s certainly an aspect of redundancy the offensive coaches will have to work through. I just hope it doesn’t result in a lesser role for Mims.

there's nothing wrong with having two big physical wrs who can outjump guys and out run them too.  the more the merrier.

• Haha 1

he is a good but not great player-without a stud wr playing next to him the opportunities wont be the same-teams worried about stopping brown who is on another level which opened up things for him. He is better than the jaq known as perriman

The Jets missed out on Oline so far and te is a HUGE need-they need a quality RB too

Basically so far Joe got a good guy on defense and a good guy on offense but with the cap they had and the needs they had they did themselves no big favors-the Pats are going to win the division next year, the bills will be second followed by the fins then sadly the jets will be at 4-5 wins max in the basement.

I hope Joe nails the draft or it is going to be a brutal season again-the jets dont have a team that can score big and that is what you need to be competitive

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

davis is not expected to be the #1 and once we accept this, the signing becomes better.

Once people accept the fact that we have gone through 2 years of Free Agency and the only WR who has been available that can arguably be considered a #1 is Golladay. It's not like JD is passing on Calvin Ridley, Tyreek Hill, Julio, Thomas to settle on #2 WRs like Davis. 

The only other option was to trade draft capital for a guy like Diggs. I think given the direction of the Jets last year, trading a #1 pick for Diggs would have been a pretty bad idea. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Once people accept the fact that we have gone through 2 years of Free Agency and the only WR who has been available that can arguably be considered a #1 is Golladay. It's not like JD is passing on Calvin Ridley, Tyreek Hill, Julio, Thomas to settle on #2 WRs like Davis. 

The only other option was to trade draft capital for a guy like Diggs. I think given the direction of the Jets last year, trading a #1 pick for Diggs would have been a pretty bad idea. 

i can see them targeting toney with that 2nd 1st rounder.

41 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

or, the plan is to keep darnold, trade back and use the first round to get a true #1 playmaker and then you have the draftee, davis, mims and crowder.  the problem we fans have is that we're mostly assuming darnold is gone.  but as more qbs change teams, the landing spots for him dwindle.  where is darnold going now - SF?  pittsburgh?  do we really think chicago wants him?

The musical chairs was never going to be favorable to Darnold, as he’s worse than pretty much everyone else’s current guy/situation. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I honestly don't care. A QB should have multiple, reliable targets so he can spread it around. That's harder to defend than a team with just 1-2 legit targets out of 4. The "true #1" is great to have, don't get me wrong, but also isn't a prerequisite.

The Brady factor aside, what made Tampa harder to defend was having 4 legit guys that could beat you downfield, not just because they had Mike Evans. Ditto all his years sans-Moss in NE. Or for Wilson in Seattle.

The 3 WRs they have are fine (Mims being the biggest concern of the 3). I prefer they sign another veteran and/or draft someone beyond an unserious late pick, but at this point they lack a reliable TE far more than another major WR upgrade.

Oh yeah. And a QB. Darnold thus far isn't a QB.

Good post.  I agree.  The notion of a value #1 WR is exaggerated in my opinion, and always has been.  Having 4-5 guys in a route at a given time that can legitimately win their matchup more often than not is more important than just 1 guy.  

So far the Jets have 3 guys who can do that.  To your point about TE, Hunter Henry would look like a very solid addition to this group if they could pull it off.  

As it stands this morning though, they have the best WR corp they've had in awhile. It's a solid group.

• Upvote 4

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

Good post.  I agree.  The notion of a value #1 WR is exaggerated in my opinion, and always has been.  Having 4-5 guys in a route at a given time that can legitimately win their matchup more often than not is more important than just 1 guy.  

So far the Jets have 3 guys who can do that.  To your point about TE, Hunter Henry would look like a very solid addition to this group if they could pull it off.  

As it stands this morning though, they have the best WR corp they've had in awhile. It's a solid group.

4 solid guys plus a qb who can play consistently will get the job done.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I honestly don't care. A QB should have multiple, reliable targets so he can spread it around. That's harder to defend than a team with just 1-2 legit targets out of 4. The "true #1" is great to have, don't get me wrong, but also isn't a prerequisite.

The Brady factor aside, what made Tampa harder to defend was having 4 legit guys that could beat you downfield, not just because they had Mike Evans. Ditto all his years sans-Moss in NE. Or for Wilson in Seattle.

The 3 WRs they have are fine (Mims being the biggest concern of the 3). I prefer they sign another veteran and/or draft someone beyond an unserious late pick, but at this point they lack a reliable TE far more than another major WR upgrade.

If you have Mims, Crowder and Davis healthy for the whole year..that should be just fine for your QB. Unfortunately we say that pretty often and end up with a rash of injuries and have Crowder playing the most games out of these guys.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, kmnj said:

he is a good but not great player-without a stud wr playing next to him the opportunities wont be the same-teams worried about stopping brown who is on another level which opened up things for him. He is better than the jaq known as perriman

The Jets missed out on Oline so far and te is a HUGE need-they need a quality RB too

Basically so far Joe got a good guy on defense and a good guy on offense but with the cap they had and the needs they had they did themselves no big favors-the Pats are going to win the division next year, the bills will be second followed by the fins then sadly the jets will be at 4-5 wins max in the basement.

I hope Joe nails the draft or it is going to be a brutal season again-the jets dont have a team that can score big and that is what you need to be competitive

only 1st day lets see how it pans out.  And we all know spending big on FAs (Revis TJ) always works out.  Pats are not winning the division with Cam at QB

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's a match up league.  If you have to match up on 4 Jags vs. 2 Jags and 2 really good WR sign me up for the latter.  Tampa Bay has 2 No. 1 WR and are matchup hell for teams.  They also have running backs and TE's.  The franchise tagged their No. 2 WR.  

the only FA WR who could profile as a "#1 WR" was golladay, and he has some major injury concern.  you'd think he'd be one of the first guys scooped up and a talent-poor team like the lions wouldn't let him walk.  tells you there are some flags with him.

let's play a game - name that receiver

WR A - 5'11", 195 - 77 rec., 851 yards (11.1 Y/R), 3 TDs

WR B - 6'3", 209 - 65 rec., 984 yards (15.1 Y/R), 5 TDs

WR C - 6'1", 215 - 97 rec., 831 yards (8.6 Y/R), 9 TDs

none of them really jump off the page as a stud #1 WR, but rather all are solid #2s.  yet the perception, at least for one of them, is that he is a #1 (who will want to be paid like one).  i don't see it

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

People expecting #1 wideout performance will be disappointed with Davis. However, Davis is good, strong and he’s best used out wide and going towards the middle. He raises the talent level of our WR depth chart and that is gonna help our offense a lot. The guy will move the sticks on 3rd down and that’s very important.

How are you going to get #1 wideout production when your 2 QBs are the bust Marcus Mariota and Captain Checkdown Ryan Tannehill

The fact that Davis got 800 and 900 yard seasons out of those guys is remarkable 

I'm not saying Davis is a #1 receiver, and I'm on record many times before that I think that's probably the most overrated asset by fans, but I'm curious as to what people think a stat line looks like for a #1 WR?  Without going and looking at someone's stats from previous seasons.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

How are you going to get #1 wideout production when your 2 QBs are the bust Marcus Mariota and Captain Checkdown Ryan Tannehill

The fact that Davis got 800 and 900 yard seasons out of those guys is remarkable 

Imagine if there was another wide receiver on the Titans who did break 1,000 yards in his first 2 years. Imagine if his name was AJ Brown. 

39 minutes ago, JiF said:

There are many ways to acquire talent, FA is one of those vehicles and then there is the draft and trades. My observation is based on how JD has handled offense thus far during his tenure.  Becton was kind of a no brainer and then JD showed you how he valued offensive talent by trading down numerous times off WR's/RB's to eventually luckily land Mims and the early returns were not good, so we'll see how that pans out.  He then prioritized a Safety and a never healthy pass rusher over numerous talented skills players.  He then waited to take a very limited RB in the 4th RD and signed, Frank Gore.  He then took a project QB who couldnt even dress over more, offense skills players and OL.    He let Robby Anderson walk for sh*tty ass Breshard Perriman and Chris Hogan.

There is a sh*t ton I would have done different.  Namely his draft, it sucked.  I would have resigned Robby. Perriman is terrible, just about every single decent FA WR would have been a better signing.  I would have 100% put our name in the hat for the trades that went down ie; Diggs, Hopkins, Hurst, etc.  Anyone other then the worst RB in the league in Gore would have worked.  

Look, I'm just making an observation.  The league requires a talented offense with playmakers.  Who's the play maker that JD has acquired over the last 3 years?  I know it's not easy to say but the answer is, nobody.

Good post.  I’m really interested to see what he does in the draft this year.  For all the moves and acquisitions he made last year, he really didn’t improve the situation all that much.  He made a nice trade for Jamal and drafted a no brainer with Becton.   At some point there needs to be progress made on the field in terms of wins, this perpetual rebuild mode has an end date.  

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

there's nothing wrong with having two big physical wrs who can outjump guys and out run them too.  the more the merrier.

While I tend to agree, I don't expect that to be the style of offense we run. I know how Davis fits, but again, I kind of viewed that as how Mims might fit. Mims has a lot to work to do on his route running (and I believe he will make strides this year), but I think there's a real chance he's relegated as a deep threat in the passing game due to the redundancy. That doesn't mean he won't have value and personally I don't see him busting- he has too much talent- but for a lack of a better term, he may "disappoint" by producing inconsistent stats more like DeVante Parker over the course of his rookie contract rather than producing along the lines of a true #1 receiver. I hope I'm wrong, but at the end, player's can only do what they're capable of doing. 

It's hard to explain in simple terms like "X/Y/Z" because the Shanahan/LaFleur offense doesn't stick to traditional labels on how they deploy each WR. "Position-less offense" is the term you always read about when referencing it, but with that, you still need to figure out who can do what within the rules of the game. The "X" position lines up on the LOS and can't go in motion, so they'll need to beat coverage, usually with strength and quickness. Think Pierre Garcon. They'll look for Davis to sell play-action and get open over the middle, with the occasional deep ball, screens, etc. The "Z" and "Y/F" receivers line up off the LOS (and in the slot), so they are often used in motion and require a lot of quickness. In SF, they view Samuel and Aiyuk as guys who can line up all over, but if they have a deep-ball play they're not using Samuel at the X; they're probably putting him at the Z or Y (or in the backfield), and Aiyuk at the X. 

Mims isn't a guy whose going to thrive in pre-snap motion. He's not a threat on jet-sweeps and is more fast-than-quick. Can he be impactful after the catch? Sure. But he's not a natural make a guy miss and break tackles type of guy. Where he dominates is down the field with the ball in the air. The Jets will surely get him his opportunities, but I fear it won't be as frequently because Corey Davis will dominate the stuff over the middle off play-action. The more likely sense I get is that Corey Davis will be the top guy and dominate the most touches, with either Crowder or his replacement and the TE/RBs getting a lot of targets behind him. That would leave Mims more as a 4th-5th option, but someone who would have his own set of plays that are designed for him (deep balls) but may only get 4-5 targets a game. That doesn't mean he can't necessarily develop into a better player (hell maybe he proves to be better than Davis and forces the staff to use him in that role), but I think more likely we shouldn't expect Mims to be a 1000 yard "#1" receiver if they're focusing Davis in that "X/over-the-middle" receiver role. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

You could at least spend 30 second googling it before you make yourself look stupid. You may be fine with looking silly, but have some respect for the rest of the people on this forum.

Diggs has a 70 mil, 40mil guaranteed contract.  

Davis deal is a $37.5mil deal with $27 million guaranteed.

You might also want to add the picks traded in to the total cost to the Bills

So call me stupid and silly.  Whatever makes you feel smart and stuff 

So FO

37 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Imagine if there was another wide receiver on the Titans who did break 1,000 yards in his first 2 years. Imagine if his name was AJ Brown. 

Imagine Corey Davis probably 3rd or 4th best free agent WR and he doesn’t have a hip injury like Golladay

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Imagine Corey Davis probably 3rd or 4th best free agent WR and he doesn’t have a hip injury like Golladay

Don’t think I said anything against Corey Davis. I like him a lot. He’s the 1 WR I wanted to sign. He can be good and improve this team without being a number 1 guy.

57 minutes ago, football guy said:

The more likely sense I get is that Corey Davis will be the top guy and dominate the most touches, with either Crowder or his replacement and the TE/RBs getting a lot of targets behind him. That would leave Mims more as a 4th-5th option, but someone who would have his own set of plays that are designed for him (deep balls) but may only get 4-5 targets a game. 

I think you’re mistaken, personally. Or you underestimate how good Mims will be. Davis will take a backseat to Denzel sooner than later. The role you described is what Davis failed to secure in TEN... I like Davis a lot, but he’s not gonna fill that Brandon Aiyuk role in Lafleur’s offense. Mims will be in the role and will blow up this year - while Davis will be a valuable and overdue 2nd option on the outside, rotating in. 

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

Davis might not be a true no.1 receiver but the goal should be to improve the receivers overall. With Mims and crowder, Davis is going to get his fair share. Throw in Perriman and it’s not that bad of a group.  They’re all guys that can battle the dbs. Now all the QBs has to do is get them the ball.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

This is a horrible take. Pats going to win the division becuase they signed 2 mediocre tight ends and a mediocre wr? Still have no QB. Get their dick out your mouth. 

8 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Davis might not be a true no.1 receiver but the goal should be to improve the receivers overall. With Mims and crowder, Davis is going to get his fair share. Throw in Perriman and it’s not that bad of a group.  They’re all guys that can battle the dbs. Now all the QBs has to do is get them the ball.

I agree with this.  That is a good wr corps with a lot of flexibility.  You can still try to draft a stud early but they wouldn’t have to.  

2 hours ago, JiF said:

There are many ways to acquire talent, FA is one of those vehicles and then there is the draft and trades. My observation is based on how JD has handled offense thus far during his tenure.  Becton was kind of a no brainer and then JD showed you how he valued offensive talent by trading down numerous times off WR's/RB's to eventually luckily land Mims and the early returns were not good, so we'll see how that pans out.  He then prioritized a Safety and a never healthy pass rusher over numerous talented skills players.  He then waited to take a very limited RB in the 4th RD and signed, Frank Gore.  He then took a project QB who couldnt even dress over more, offense skills players and OL.    He let Robby Anderson walk for sh*tty ass Breshard Perriman and Chris Hogan.

There is a sh*t ton I would have done different.  Namely his draft, it sucked.  I would have resigned Robby. Perriman is terrible, just about every single decent FA WR would have been a better signing.  I would have 100% put our name in the hat for the trades that went down ie; Diggs, Hopkins, Hurst, etc.  Anyone other then the worst RB in the league in Gore would have worked.  

Look, I'm just making an observation.  The league requires a talented offense with playmakers.  Who's the play maker that JD has acquired over the last 3 years?  I know it's not easy to say but the answer is, nobody.

While you’re not wrong, I think that’s a colder than needed take - but ultimately you’re correct. Playmakers can’t continue to be less than priority number 1. 

might not be a flashy reply but you also have to give him a chance to learn from the past. No one starts day 1 killing it all the time. If he repeats some of those decisions this year... we’ll then we have a problem. 

• Upvote 1