Jets sign Carl Lawson

Another locker room/unit leader.  Seems to be a theme among the players that have been signed by the Jets.  Building the culture.

https://www.al.com/sports/2020/11/carl-lawson-has-turned-the-corner-for-bengals.html

Carl Lawson has ‘turned the corner’ for Bengals

An NFL player has registered at least five quarterback hits in 15 games this season. Cincinnati Bengals defensive end Carl Lawson is the only player to do so twice.

Lawson had five quarterback hits against the Cleveland Browns on Oct. 25, and he became one of the three players with six QB hits in a game in 2020 against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Nov. 15.

With 19, the former Auburn standout ranks second in the NFL in quarterback hits to Steelers outside linebacker T.J. Watt.

But Lawson’s 3.5 sacks rank 39th in the league in 2020, and he hasn’t recorded one since Oct. 4.

“Affecting the quarterback is good,” Lawson said. “You can be considered good. But to be considered great, you’ve got to finish and get those forced fumbles and sacks and things like that, so that’s where I’m going to improve at.”

In 2017, Lawson led the league’s rookies with 8.5 sacks. But over the next two seasons, injuries caused him to miss 13 games, and his sack total fell to six for 2018 and 2019 combined. Lawson had 3.5 sacks four games into this season before coming up empty in five games of being so close, as evidenced by his QB-hit total.

Lawson remains confident.

“If I can beat you with speed, if I can beat you with power and I can beat on an inside move, it’s not really anything you can do to stop me because eventually I’m going to get there,” Lawson said.

Lawson collected two of his sacks in the Bengals’ 23-23 overtime tie against the Philadelphia Eagles on Sept. 27 while rushing against left tackle Jason Peters, a 17-year veteran and nine-time Pro Bowler.

“He was going against a veteran offensive lineman who’s been in the league for quite some time,” said Nick Eason, Cincinnati’s defensive-line coach. “And we really got after the quarterback that day as a front, but I think that’s when Carl turned the corner. He really created havoc.”

In his first three seasons, Lawson started three games. He’s started four of the Bengals’ six games since they faced Philadelphia, playing at least 63 percent of the defensive snaps in each.

Eason said not only is Lawson getting after the quarterback, he’s improved his run-stopping ability, too. Lawson reached his career high for tackles with eight against Philadelphia.

“People see the explosion; they see the power that he plays with,” Eason said. “He’s doing a real good job playing against the run this year. I thought that was an area he needed to improve on as you watch tape from last year. He’s done that, and his role has increased this year.

“Obviously, he’s been starting for us now, and he’s handled it well. He’s become more of a vocal leader. As a defensive-line group, we circle up before we start our individual in pregame, and he’s usually a guy I call upon to talk to the group briefly because he brings so much energy and juice to the table.”

The Bengals visit the Washington Football Team at noon CST Sunday.

That puts the target on Washington quarterback Alex Smith for Lawson. Washington quarterbacks have been sacked 30 times this season, the fifth-most in the NFL. Smith has been sacked 10 times in three games as he has followed Dwayne Haskins and Kyle Allen into the starting lineup.

Haskins was pulled after four games because of ineffectiveness. Allen suffered an ankle injury in his fourth start. That put Smith back into Washington’s lineup last week, and he threw for 390 yards in his first start since Nov. 18, 2018, when he suffered a horrific leg injury.

Cincinnati has a 2-6-1 record, and Washington has a 2-7 mark.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

We got 2 quality players for fair money at premium positions today.

Exactly what you look for in free agency.

Exactly. Douglas can now focus his attention to offensive line in the draft (which is very deep). He still needs a corner or two as well. Not to mention a QB lol

• Upvote 1

Any edge rusher we add must not be thought of in isolation but
in combination with Williams on the inside.  With an edge presence
now Williams easily becomes a 10+ sack guy.  Now Lawson will have
to earn his contract and get to double digits also

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Anyone who signs a 3 year deal is suplemental my friend.  Why do you think Joe D is not committing long term to any of these guys.

Dont be upset that Joe D is killing it for us.

I know you don't understand football economics but you don't have to keep telling us that in every post 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Grandy said:

High potential signing, think he can be good. Some of stats that show high pressure and QB hits coupled with low sacks does give me Leo vibes though.

You would think but while we watched Leo get stood up game in game out, Lawson will actually beat his man. Badly sometimes.

• Upvote 1

Good work JD. I was pissed earlier in the day. Yes, i was behaving like a petulant child. Did not know anything about Lawson until three days ago. Wanted Hendrickson. Went to school, and graduated wanting Lawson instead. Again. Great work, JD. Get us Humphrey and trey Smith when the draft rolls around. Can you do that. Please 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, KRL said:

Any edge rusher we add must not be thought of in isolation but
in combination with Williams on the inside.  With an edge presence
now Williams easily becomes a 10+ sack guy.  Now Lawson will have
to earn his contract and get to double digits also

That’s the rub here.