Jets sign Carl Lawson

I love this signing.  He is the John Abraham bendy edge guy we really needed if we were to transition to a 4-3.   He widens the rushing lanes by forcing the left tackle to go wide to keep him off the edge.  That opens up the inside rushing lanes and frustrates blocking schemes.  We had to pay top dollar to get him but he was an essential piece.  While he is not stout at setting the edge as a three down starter, he is a disruptive pain in the ass whose game is tough to neutralize.  I thought he was the best of the pass rushers.  Others were more useful as three down players but he is the tougher assignment on passing downs. 

Jets fans, we are really going to like this fella.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Leonard Williams was also highly ranked in qb hits and pressures.  I’ll remain pessimistic until I see it working.

Did you not see Leo last year?

It takes many players a few seasons to put it all together.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Quinnen Williams is going to have a monster season next year. 

Lawson is an absolute great signing from Joe Douglas.

Lawson's sack numbers aren't staggering but he ranked last year 2nd in QB hits and 4th in QB pressures; he can definitely get after the QB with pressure from the outside. 

Quinnen Williams is the real winner here. Because he'll become physically unstoppable up the middle alongside of an outside pass rusher. 

I hope JD doesn't stop here. I hope he splashes during FA with another outside pass rusher.

QW up the middle with outside pass rusher(s) = QB pressure. 

Tomorrow he will add some former sf players.... on defense...

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

There are some parallels here with Lawson and Leonard Williams. Leo would get pressures and stuff, but the sacks never really fully came. I do think Lawson is a little better pass rusher, though. 

They came last yr, didn’t he have 11.5? Would not be surprised at all if Lawson gets double digit sacks

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Barton said:

Need another star edge rusher to really make a difference on this defense, IMO. 

Lawson + Hendrickson is completely doable

I mean, at this point, why not?

You’ve already landed another high upside, outside WR to compliment Mims and there are no other FA OL worth giving two sh*ts about...

Might as well solve the passrushing dilemma once and for all for the foreseeable future, add a decent veteran RB and then focus on OL, another offensive playmaker and CB depth in the draft.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Finally. A pass rusher. 15 years after JA left. 

And we may not be done

Hell, if you’re going to leave me hanging on the OL, might as well give me a Q + Lawson + Hendrickson trio on the DL to ravage opposing teams buttholes for the foreseeable future.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

What Lawson+QW now does is create a magnet for another EDGE bc we all know the sacks are result of unit play. This is v attractive now for another ambitious rusher, and the same goes for secondary — CB’s are aware that interceptions are a function more of pass rush than individual dominance in the secondary. What may be a reasonable expectation is a flood of interest in the Jets. SF guys, and others. You can’t double team everyone. The more your compress the pocket, the greater the likelihood of an errant throw...

This is the benefit of a splash move like this. 

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Very reasonable deal we can probably get out of after 2 years if he sucks.

Joe D is killing it right now!

Well...... hey maybe this team can find that pash rusher in the 3rd round. Build through that draft the way it’s supposed  to be.