Jets sign Carl Lawson

i love this signing. this is the guy i wanted. hes young and has so much potential. if Saleh is as good a Defensive coach as we hope he should do well here.

he playing for another contract. he didnt come here to die. older 30 plus yr old vets might think this is there real last payday and once they get that money they dont play as hard.

these are the type of guys i want. i hope WR Samuels is next. another 24-25 yr old who would be playing for another big payday.

Great pass rushing abilities and potential..  Awful at setting the edge or any sort of run support.

This is an ok signing, and fits Salehs philosophy.  It is a bit of an overpay, but that’s par for the course for pass rushers in FA.

Solid signing and delighted to see us finally taking the pass rush seriously but Lawson is a complement not a showpiece.....would’ve loved Okwara as well but he was resigned by the Lions, we still need an upper echelon edge defender and that likely will need to come through the draft with a pick in the first 2 rounds. Rousseau, Roche, Phillips etc will be in play at that point, but clearly, and rightly, we are setting up to focus on offensive side come April so yet again, we risk that the pass rush will be a patchwork afterthought, 

there may yet be more to come in the FA pool and the change in scheme somewhat changes the dynamic in terms of what type of player we now need to put pressure on opposing QB’s (the Jarrad Davis signing is an example of that) but I really hope we are not going to be relying solely on Carl Lawson. It’s a start though and I like that JD doesn’t handcuff us to those 5 year deals that can cripple a team going forward.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Meh, another mediocre whatever signing.

Never healthy, doesnt make impact plays (1 FF in 4 years, 0 recoveries), he flashes at the QB but really doesnt make plays behind the LOS but yay!  Lets get excited! 

Thank god you're here to knock us back to reality by pissing on the Davis and Lawson signings.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting take on why Lawson "fell" to 4th round in 2017 draft.  

Why the Slide?: Carl Lawson

2017 NFL Draft Why the Slides? - Choose Player

Three years ago, we started a series of articles on why certain prospects went undrafted. In that series, I reach out to sources with NFL teams to find out why their organizations passed on drafting a given player, and/or, what were the reasons for other teams to pass on that prospect. We got a lot of positive reader feedback about the series, so we decided to expand in the genre to investigate why some prospects slid in the draft. A year later, we started the Why Slide? series, and this year, it is back. Feel free to email me requests for "Why the Slide?" and "Why Undrafted?" at draftcampbell@gmail.com. I can't promise to get to all of them, but I will do my best and definitely respond.

After being a star recruit, there was a lot of hype about Auburn edge rusher Carl Lawson. Lawson's college career was hampered by injuries for a few years before having his best season in 2016. While the redshirt junior racked up only 30 tackles on the season, he recorded nine sacks. Some in the media had projected Lawson as a first-round pick, including ESPN draft expert Todd McShay, who projected Lawson in the first round at the end of the college football season. However in the 2017 NFL Draft, Lawson slipped to the fourth round.

WalterFootball.com knew that slide was coming as team sources were not as high on Lawson as the media mistakenly pumped him up to be. In early January, I wrote a blog that teams were grading Lawson in the mid-rounds after surveying five different teams. Four teams said they had a third/fourth-round grade on Lawson. One said they could see a team taking him a little higher than that, although another playoff general manager said he had a sixth-round grade on Lawson. Each team source independently described Lawson as being a limited player and thought he was a very stiff pass-rusher with serious medical red flags in his draft report. Those factors all combined to Lawson being graded as a mid-rounder. Thus, he was selected at an appropriate level according to teams and didn't truly have a fall in the draft.
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If I recall he had one of the best QB pressure stats in the league.

#2 in NFL for QB hits.  (#1 was TJ Watt).  

My only beef is his injury history.  Two ACL tears, hamstrings....

I'm getting a little tired of this team ALWAYS getting injury prone players.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

Never healthy, doesnt make impact plays (1 FF in 4 years, 0 recoveries), he flashes at the QB but really doesnt make plays behind the LOS but yay!  Lets get excited! 

I'm hoping for a Calvin Pace+ type outcome.

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

Don't you talk like that!

I think there's more hope with him over a guy like Hendrickson. Just watching any clips of them and you can see the difference. 

Either way, it's all up to coaching after this. 

13 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I'm hoping for a Calvin Pace+ type outcome.

Sure but there is zero indication that's what you're getting in Lawson.  Not only does he have an injury history but his production isnt even close to Pace.  Pace was a monster his last season in Arizona.  100 tackles, 8 sacks, played coverage, made turnovers happen, etc.  Lawson hasnt done anything remotely close to what Pace did before we signed him and Pace was the 18th overall pick, not a 4th rounder.

I hope you're right and he's something here but fans expecting a sack master are going to be severely disappointed. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sure but there is zero indication that's what you're getting in Lawson.  Not only does he have an injury history but his production isnt even close to Pace.  Pace was a monster his last season in Arizona.  100 tackles, 8 sacks, played coverage, made turnovers happen, etc.  Lawson hasnt done anything remotely close to what Pace did before we signed him and Pace was the 18th overall pick, not a 4th rounder.

I hope you're right and he's something here but fans expecting a sack master are going to be severely disappointed. 

Nothing you say isn’t true. It is and at the same time he is still the best pass rusher on the Jets the minute they sign him. That says a lot  more about how pathetically we handled that position for a decade than the quality of the player he is. But, gotta start somewhere I guess, especially with a defensive system like Saleh’s that is dependent on pressure from the edge, hopefully we aren’t done acquiring edge guys. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, JiF said:

God forbid, I disagree with circling jerking each other over nobodies. 

God forbid you actually are close in your evaluations of the players you're  complaining about and shltting on

Neither Davis or Lawson are nobodies to those who watch games

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Aye, after sleeping on it, I'm unimpressed.

He'll be an improvement (so would Leo coming back, lol!) but meh.

Over/under in 2021, 5 sacks, 4 TFL.  Pedestrian performance hyped up with some "but he pressures QB's!" talk, till the fans get sick of it, and give him the Leo treatment too.

The Edge position is far from solved still.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Might be because Pace was a LB and Lawson is a DE?  

Pace never had monster seasons, he never totaled 8 sacks in any season playing in AZ.  In 5 seasons he had 14 sacks to Lawsons 20 over 4 seasons.  In Paces 4 seasons as a DE he totaled all of 7.5 sacks.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Surprised by some of the negativity. I don't think we could have addressed edge in FA much better. Guy gets after the QB -- injuries are a red flag of course, but great pass rushers with no issues don't hit the market.

Lawson is decent.  We weren’t getting Shaq Lawson that’s a pipe dream

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Meh Pace recorded 6.5 sacks in his last year with AZ, 99 tackles.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

29FD2E58-F00E-4BCD-B73C-CCFC1128A926.thumb.png.25b013e71fed480612685ff42800ab6d.pngCheck out the Izuku Midoriya banner. That bodes well for him.

Noticed this when I gave him a follow earlier. Stood out. Look, by no means am I saying he’s a superstar but he’s definitely not a nobody. It’s a good signing for the kind of player he is, scheme fit he will be & this move will water the barren wasteland of jet edge rushers that came before him. We should be far from done though.

• Upvote 1