***Official*** Extend Joe Douglas Thread...

Did The Bengals Overpay Free Agent DE Trey Hendrickson?

b8f492ad45ff379c37dbcf325bc4aa96?s=50&d=By Wendi Oliveros March 16, 2021 @WendiOliveros1

Trey Hendrickson

The Cincinnati Bengals agreed to terms with former New Orleans Saints defensive end Trey Hendrickson to a four-year contract.

Trey Hendrickson will reunite with safety Vonn Bell who was a New Orleans Saint from 2016-2019 before joining the Bengals last season.

LATEST VIDEO

Hendrickson’s deal will be finalized on March 17 when the new NFL year officially begins.

Trey Hendrickson, 26, had a monstrous 2020 season, perfectly timed to collect a big payday as a free agent.

Despite his accomplishments in 2020, the Bengals did overpay him.

Trey Hendrickson Had One Good Season.

As mentioned above, he played outstanding football in 2020 but was very mediocre the first three years of his NFL career.

Hendrickson flew under the radar for those first three seasons.

Drafted in the 3rd round (103rd overall), he had a forced fumble, 22 solo tackles, and 25 quarterback hits in 2020.

He also had 13.5 quarterback sacks which tied him for second in the NFL with Aaron Donald.

As a result, he was named first-team All-Pro in 2020.

He Had A Low Dollar Rookie Contract.

His rookie contract was valued at $3.17 million over four years.

Spotrac estimated the market value of his new contract to be $30.9 million over three years.

Using Spotrac’s number, his contract should have been around $10 million annually.

The Bengals are paying him $15 million each year; they overpaid him for what his previous performance was.

Perhaps the Bengals believe he is a player on the rise and are paying for what is to come; it is anyone’s guess.

The Bengals Were Not Even Reportedly In The Running Recently.

Here is another example where rumors are not always correct.

The New York Jets kept coming up on the recent short list for Trey Hendrickson.

Other interested teams included the Minnesota Vikings and Cleveland Browns.

The Bengals were mentioned about a month ago along with the Patriots.

Hendrickson joining the Bengals became less of a surprise when it was clear that they were not planning to re-sign Carl Lawson whom they drafted in 2017 in the 4th round (116th overall).

Replacing Carl Lawson

The Bengals did not re-sign one of their best defensive players.

He was defensive end Carl Lawson.

Lawson is reportedly signing with the Jets for a three year deal worth $47.4 million.

On Pro Football Focus’s free agent ranking list, Lawson came in at 30th whereas Hendrickson was 67th.

The dollars and cents do not add up on what the Bengals paid and for whom, but perhaps it will make more sense when Hendrickson hits the field in 2021 as a Cincinnati Bengal.

Seems like Douglas won that exchange

On 3/15/2021 at 9:24 PM, Team archer said:

He still missed on thuney...our line is still sh*t. But the signings he made I like

80 million to go to a Super Bowl contender in a state with lower taxes

or

85 million to play on the Jets in a state with a higher tax rate?

The Jets never had a chance, and I would respect JD less if he overpaid for Thuney.  

My opinion on JD hinges on this year's draft. I'm way more concerned with good drafts and extending rookie contracts than big splashes in free agency. There is no doubt in my mind that JD is capable and willing to sign the big, splashy free agents in a year when he and coach Saleh feel that the team is ready to contend for a division title. The Jets are by far the worst team in the AFC East, possibly the AFC, and possibly the NFL. I don't know how much clearer the plan with the Jets could be. Douglas asked for a 6th year for a reason. This was going to be a slow burn from the day he signed the contract. Coach Saleh said it himself, no short cuts. 

This is going to be the most exciting 6-10 season in our history, and I say that half-jokingly. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Well looking at FA or the lack of it this isn’t aging well

How can we say lack of it?  We have signed 7 guys that will either be starters or key depth pieces. I don’t think joe is a fan of the Trumane Johnson, Leveon bell, cj Moseley type bigger name deals bc they are too high a risk.  I can’t blame him.  His signings  are low risk deals that don’t all need to hit.  The ones that do hit will compliment the strong drafting as part of the overall rebuild.  I mean did you really want to pay $20 MM for a G? Or just a decent C? They aren’t even the premium positions.

I think when saleh has a year under his belt and a truer evaluation of the players in his system, we could be better poised to drop bigger money on a potential bigger name FA.

1 hour ago, AlexVanDyke said:

How can we say lack of it?  We have signed 7 guys that will either be starters or key depth pieces. I don’t think joe is a fan of the Trumane Johnson, Leveon bell, cj Moseley type bigger name deals bc they are too high a risk.  I can’t blame him.  His signings  are low risk deals that don’t all need to hit.  The ones that do hit will compliment the strong drafting as part of the overall rebuild.  I mean did you really want to pay $20 MM for a G? Or just a decent C? They aren’t even the premium positions.

I think when saleh has a year under his belt and a truer evaluation of the players in his system, we could be better poised to drop bigger money on a potential bigger name FA.

This is  a 6-10 team after the draft. Wake me up when you guys are actually wanting the Jets to win football games rather then obsessing over “capital” and “cap space”

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jetswinbaby! said:

Offense all the way!

The Jets have done this... never!

Extend JD now!

Joe D put on an absolute clinic these last 2 days.  A new qb, s stud LG and a wr who can take it to the house anytime he touches the ball.

Just an amazing job by the big guy.

In Joe D We Trust!

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I want to put it on the record that I am apologizing to Joe Douglas for saying that he failed to secure a kicker. Greg Zeurlein not only hasn't been a liability, but he has been an asset. We do not beat the Browns without The Leg.

I don't want to jump the gun on the OL, but my opinion is shifting. The AVT trade looks better by the day. 

• Upvote 1

No GM can be perfect. JD still has some moves that scratch heads... however he has drafted well the past 2 years. If he continues that trend, then we have something solid. I think Lawson is gone next year, so that one is off the books, I also think we get rid of McGovern also. What we need is a reshaping of the OL. I know I've said it before, but this next draft has to have 2 promising guys. One to step into the Center position, and one who can develop into a LT for the day when Brown, calls it quits. I believe with a good offseason for Max Mitchell he can start at RT, and AVT can move back inside LG. 

• 3 weeks later...