Using FA to create flexibility (rather than need) in the Draft

Condensing this down.  I think you're trying to say that the whole league knows the Jets, as currently constructed, need an OG and CB with picks #23 and #34.  There's really not much wiggle room on that.  Bad place to be.  If we can sign a decent option at either or both before the draft, it opens things up, rather than signing another edge and/or WR, which only exacerbates the problem and further reduces our flexibility.

• Upvote 2

Obviously everything depends on what they do at the QB position. If Sam is traded, which I think is likely, they will need to draft a QB. If they want Wilson or Fields they need to pick at 2 or perhaps trade back just to 3, MAYBE. I think they are staying at 2, jmho.

• Upvote 1

Great post. Yes I definitely agree that teams have to play a lot of Cloak and Dagger.

It's definitely the wise thing to do to not make it obvious that you're targeting a player out of need. In the end that's how you build your football team.

Here's a great statement and probably the smartest one I've heard in the last 24 hours. It came from Kyle Brandt on good morning football.

"people need to stop thinking that every team is going by the same top 100 free agents that we are!!!" 

That rings so true lol obviously for the draft as well. 50% of the league is made up of undrafted free agents. Think about that.

• Upvote 2

my responses to this would be

agreed, mixed results so far

as far as the draft itself ... a promising note about how JD ran it last year (as well as the Ozzy tree itself) is about making moves (both draft and roster related).  these occur all over the place ... before the draft, during the draft, after and during the season.  there also is an eye towards the future with accumulated picks ... not everything to be used this year

JD also appears to target best value for the place we are picking at that time, over a particular player ... with an open eye to make moves that will increase our value we get.

soo

I do not expect a reach for position of need (other than QB at 2)

---

as far as the cheats ...the reason to focus on starters would be for a 2021 focus rather than draft build up.  reupping the vet Cam onboard also is an indication on focus being for 2021 rather than general draft build up

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Condensing this down.  I think you're trying to say that the whole league knows the Jets, as currently constructed, need an OG and CB with picks #23 and #34.  There's really not much wiggle room on that.  Bad place to be.  If we can sign a decent option at either or both before the draft, it opens things up, rather than signing another edge and/or WR, which only exacerbates the problem and further reduces our flexibility.

In fact, adding another WR, particularly a big name like Samuel or Golladay pretty much takes WR off the list in the first two days of the Draft.  Teams would know that too and it would make it unpleasant to be sitting there at #34 or 66 and see a top WR slip to us.... and then not take him.

Corner and offensive line were the two positions that I thought were going to be less prioritized than others this offseason.

I don't think the Jets are going to be running the kind of pure man stuff that they did under Rex and Bowles that required heavy capital going to the CB position. The 49ers didn't invest much in outside corners. Bigger, longer guys but they can be a little slower and more linear athletes so they fall in the draft and don't get as much in FA as the guys who run 4.3's. I imagine they can cobble together vets without much money there and a lot of the existing guys on the roster happen to fit and are younger. I think it's a see what you have for a year plus a vet or two and re-evaluate next offseason situation.

Offensive line I would've been more interested in since it impacts the quarterback but the only guys Douglas signed to more than one year deals last offseason were the four OL who start besides Becton. Continuity on the line is important too and that group got better as the season went on. I also think they looked better with Flacco - despite him being less mobile. Guys leaving the Pats haven't been successful and Linsley had his best season in a contract year. 

I think he's got the flexibility to add someone via the draft but I don't get why when he didn't force it in FA folks would imagine he would then feel compelled to force it via the draft.

He pretty clearly left himself in position to get a tackle and a wide receiver in the draft, too - since both classes left him well positioned to address those positions. Anything that he's going to leave to the draft I'm sure he's comfortable addressing at various times in the draft - kind of like the smaller slot WR type if they don't add Samuel.

• Upvote 2

I'm happy with the Corey Davis and Lawson signings.

A solid vet IOL is one of the things left that needs addressing. Everyone wants a world beater... Obviously not gonna happen at this point. JD should be making his money finding OL talent others miss considering his background. So I'd rather he works on that than making some of these IOL the highest paid at there position anyway.

I want someone who will improve the unit as a whole.... Still wondering where the market on Andrews will land.

I don't think in house they are as concerned about the secondary as you and I. 

If we can Generate a pass rush with our new additions plus Mosley back it will help the young unknown secondary immensely. We have not had an actual pass rush in a long time.

So far, these Free Agents are borderline meaningless when it comes to the Draft IMO.  None are good enough that I would pass if a special talent dropped to us in an appropriate pick slot.  And I doubt any future FA's will be so great that they'd change this view.

But it all comes down to what JD plans for #2 overall, really.  Once that is spent, the rest of the draft will be far easier to predict for us.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Following the Day 1 FA signings of a Jarrad Davis, Carl Lawson and Corey Davis, what are the priorities left to fill/upgrade the roster prior to the Draft in order to allow the Jets to be opportunistic rather than needy and not have to reach for players come April?

If we recall the past couple of years the Jets made some moves (signing Fant, signing Perriman) to give the illusion that they didn't have big needs at OL and WR.  Fortunately, they were able to navigate the Draft to land Becton and Mims at reasonable spots without reaching.  But we've also seen some panic moves that didn't really work out because of the precarious nature of the roster (signing Ryan Kalil, signing Chris Hogan to be WR1 6 weeks before last season started, etc.).  So here we sit with a roster of mostly below average starters, no clear CB1, concerns at TE (will the real Chris Herndon please stand up?), a young and unproven RB group (after the departures of Bell and Gore), the same exact OLine as last year (aggregate PFF grade for the interior OLinemen around ~64), and lots of questions about the LB group (a key area of focus for Saleh).

So what are the two or three (or seven) remaining priorities for the Jets in FA so that they don't walk into the Draft with everyone knowing they're taking a CB at #23 or so that they don't reach for Pat Friermuth at TE too early?  This becomes even more critical if the Jets don't trade back from #2 to accumulate picks (unless that's their secret plan and the reason they didn't sign Thuney, Linsley, any of the top TEs, etc.).

I look at the Jets in contrast to the Pats.  The Pats are signing bonafide starters because they know this upcoming Draft is where they're going to try to parlay their picks into a QB.  They seem to be angling for the fact that they won't be able to upgrade the overall roster via the Draft so they're using FA to do it and create a good landing spot for a rookie QB.

I guess all of my blabbing is simply to say I'm concerned at this point that the Jets are really putting pressure on the outcome of their Draft based on how FA has transpired so far.  And, given last year's outcome in Rounds 3 and 4 (5 players drafted, no clear starters) confidence isn't extremely high.

Maybe I need @Jetsfan80 to talk me off the ledge again? lol

snow fail GIF

all that they have to do is draft smart joe dougles 

I think Douglas signed a couple of grade 2 free agents in Lawson and Davis. Both guys have shown improvement over their careers and if they build on last years output then the jets picked some good starters.  And they were positions of need. As for Crowell, he may turn out to be more important than at first glance because of Moseley s situation. Is Moseley coming back or going to be traded?  So going into the draft Douglas won’t have to use top picks for edge or wr. That leaves it open for oline, QB, cb.  And who knows who else breaks free as teams continue to trim their rosters.