Jump to content

No home for Sammy


Shelbyblue
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This point certainly isn't lost on me.  I get the haul we can bring in and would love it, but I see two things that tell me almost certainly Sam will be gone and we're taking a QB at 2.

1) All you're doing is kicking the can down the road a year where it's likely to cost you a bunch of picks to trade up to get your guy - or you're sitting at 9 or 10 looking to draft a lesser talent and hoping.  We've been in QB purgatory for 20 years now.  We need to find our guy.  Right now you get access to a top tier prospect.  Who knows what you'll have next year. A bird in the hand.

2) As you noticed yesterday, two hours into free agency the Fire Joe Douglas chain started to blow up.  Angry fans had the pitchforks out.  Just imagine what happens if they pass on a QB at 2 and Sam starts out 0-3.  Holy sh*t.  I'm really not sure JD gets another year if the Jets go 6-10 with Sam.

JD and the Johnsons are well aware of what will happen if they keep Sam and don't go the playoffs.  Bottom line, if you keep Sam you have to win now...And this team isn't ready to win now.

 

What happens if Wilson busts, or hurts his shoulder after a hard hit. It's a two way street if you wanna go there. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

A 38 year old QB on his 8th team who has never ever led a team to the playoffs? Give me Darnold any day of the week.  There's a reason Fitz keeps moving.  He keeps getting replaced by young QBs and he eventually craps the bed - year after year.  

he was the last winning QB we had....more than I can say for Sammy

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Most of the discussion here surrounds Darnold or Watson/draft but we shouldn't rule out that the team may keep Darnold and draft a QB at #2. We don't know that the front office and new coach wouldn't want to invite a QB competition and let Darnold get his first honest shot at playing with a decent offense. If Darnold gets beat then he's probably traded away fairly soon and if he wins then this year's draft pick gets to spend a year learning a pro system and then try to win next season. As much as I do not think Darnold is a winning QB for this team it might be a better option to not put all the eggs in one basket. 

It’s very possible. The Jets are going to need to bring in a veteran backup with starting experience to push the rookie. Why couldn’t that person be Darnold?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, genot said:

What happens if Wilson busts, or hurts his shoulder after a hard hit. It's a two way street if you wanna go there. 

Not really even close to the same thing.

Not sure what injuries have to do with anything..You can literally say that about anyone.  Sam has been injured far more than Wilson.

Again, I get Wilson busting but most fans understand he’ll get three years to build the team to see if he really does bust.  Sam you only have one year and the team simply isn’t ready to win.  

And we already know Sam isn’t good.  Wilson has a chance to be good.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Not really even close to the same thing.

Not sure what injuries have to do with anything..You can literally say that about anyone.  Sam has been injured far more than Wilson.

Again, I get Wilson busting but most fans understand he’ll get three years to build the team to see if he really does bust.  Sam you only have one year and the team simply isn’t ready to win.  

And we already know Sam isn’t good.  Wilson has a chance to be good.

Your judgment of Darnold as a QB is premature. Sounds silly. He's been a starter for three years. Nothing in the last two years, has went the way of anybody doing well, or improving their game, with the coaching, the system, and the talent in place.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Id honestly be fine with it. Let them both compete-may the best man win. 

Yup - this is worth the "cost" of not getting a draft pick for Darnold.

By finally giving  Darnold a chance with a real HC and weapons we have an increased chance of getting our guy instead of putting all our eggs in one basket. 

If Darnold loses to the rookie, so be it, we have his services as an expensive backup for 1 year and the cost of a draft pick. I'm willing to do that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

Yup - this is worth the "cost" of not getting a draft pick for Darnold.

By finally giving  Darnold a chance with a real HC and weapons we have an increased chance of getting our guy instead of putting all our eggs in one basket. 

If Darnold loses to the rookie, so be it, we have his services as an expensive backup for 1 year and the cost of a draft pick. I'm willing to do that.

OR - and I know this sounds crazy - we could actually let the rookie QB develop instead of throwing him to the wolves day 1. This used to be a thing. This point almost deserves it's own thread.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, oatmeal said:

SMFH we were right again, Anyone But Darnold crowd

Because Matt Lombardo tweeted something he claims he heard?

Just to help out here, the message hasnt been that media people think Sam is savable and a talented FQB, its been that they claim to have spoken to decision makers/GMs?personnel people who feel that way.  Two statements that dont line up. 

Obviously both cant be true.  No one has been proven right or wrong 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

I agree, i think we are getting lower offers than expected. We might as well just keep him, and move forward with any drafting a qb plans. Backup qbs are expensive, and we would need one anyway..no need to just give him away... 

What happens if you do that and darnold beats out the rookie qb? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

I agree, i think we are getting lower offers than expected. We might as well just keep him, and move forward with any drafting a qb plans. Backup qbs are expensive, and we would need one anyway..no need to just give him away... 

I find it comical that folks thought we would get high offers for a guy that most here think cant play QB in this league at higher level.

I would say about 50% on the board think Sam is a train wreck (right or wrong)  NFL GMs watch tape I dont think any GM watched the Jets game film from last year and said yep that is the guy we need.  There is a reason for over a year folks have been talking about drafting a qb -it is because Sam has not shown much on the field. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Safest move by JD, let them compete.

no if you are drafting a qb you get sam out of town-what do you do if Sam wins the job by letting them "compete"-that means you wasted a top draft pick. Joe either believes Sam is the guy or he is not-if he believes he is the guy surround him with tons of talent if not cut him lose and go all in on a new guy-if you want to let the rookie sit and learn you bring in an old vet and let him start one who knows his role 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I have a Steeler friend that would be ecstatic with Sam.

You might not realize how big of a joke the Jets are to fans of other team's in the league. 

Whether teams GM's think it or not I don't know - but there are plenty of people out there that think Sam is a super talent completely held back by an incompetent organization.  And they are mostly right.

Plenty of people believe we faked the moon landing.  The USC alumni make up plenty of people.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Darnold blows chucks it would be criminal to keep this trash can

One unnamed offensive coach even went so far as to say, "He stinks, bro," regarding his feelings on Darnold.

Lombardo also added that a current unnamed general manager would list Darnold as the fourth-best quarterback in this year's draft class.

 

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2936622-report-sam-darnold-liked-more-by-fans-than-teams-nfl-coach-says-he-stinks.amp.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Darnold blows chucks it would be criminal to keep this trash can

One unnamed offensive coach even went so far as to say, "He stinks, bro," regarding his feelings on Darnold.

Lombardo also added that a current unnamed general manager would list Darnold as the fourth-best quarterback in this year's draft class.

 

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2936622-report-sam-darnold-liked-more-by-fans-than-teams-nfl-coach-says-he-stinks.amp.html

What happens if JD is STUCK with Darnold? Why didn’t JD pull the trigger if 3 teams offered a 2nd rounder for him. As it stands now Atlanta, Panthers, Broncos, Texans, Steelers, WFT are left and most are long shots. His appeal is rapidly dwindling. So does JD  still draft a QB if he’s stuck with Darnold? Does he trade down and go with him? If so and he blows, what’s the ramifications of his contract? I believe he’s due 20M in 2022 but not sure when all that stuff kicks in. This is not looking good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

What happens if JD is STUCK with Darnold? Why didn’t JD pull the trigger if 3 teams offered a 2nd rounder for him. As it stands now Atlanta, Panthers, Broncos, Texans, Steelers, WFT are left and most are long shots. His appeal is rapidly dwindling. So does JD  still draft a QB if he’s stuck with Darnold? Does he trade down and go with him? If so and he blows, what’s the ramifications of his contract? I believe he’s due 20M in 2022 but not sure when all that stuff kicks in. This is not looking good. 

I don’t think that’s the case they could trade darnold now, trade him draft day as part of a move up package or even possibly decline his 5th year option and wait until the season kicks in and get a trade from a desperate team like we did with Teddy Bridgewater. 

 

Plus teams with old vet QBs would still like to have a young QB, IMO Darnold is viewed as a project around the league and wouldn’t go to any team as the unquestioned starter. He needs time on the bench much like Ryan Tannehill so the places with vet QBs would be ideal for him imo 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, oatmeal said:

I don’t think that’s the case they could trade darnold now, trade him draft day as part of a move up package or even possibly decline his 5th year option and wait until the season kicks in and get a trade from a desperate team like we did with Teddy Bridgewater. 

 

Plus teams with old vet QBs would still like to have a young QB, IMO Darnold is viewed as a project around the league and wouldn’t go to any team as the unquestioned starter. He needs time on the bench much like Ryan Tannehill so the places with vet QBs would be ideal for him imo 

 

 

Just confused when they’d be stuck with having to pay him that monstrous $20M for 2022. I’d dump his azz for a 5th before that kicks in. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I don’t think that’s the case they could trade darnold now, trade him draft day as part of a move up package or even possibly decline his 5th year option and wait until the season kicks in and get a trade from a desperate team like we did with Teddy Bridgewater. 

 

Plus teams with old vet QBs would still like to have a young QB, IMO Darnold is viewed as a project around the league and wouldn’t go to any team as the unquestioned starter. He needs time on the bench much like Ryan Tannehill so the places with vet QBs would be ideal for him imo 

 

 

I think I pretty much mentioned all those teams that would be a 'fit' for Darnold.  Go down the NFL team list and many have young QB's in place or in the wings. There's really not many teams knocking our door down for Darnold.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

I think I pretty much mentioned all those teams that would be a 'fit' for Darnold.  Go down the NFL team list and many have young QB's in place or in the wings. There's really not many teams knocking our door down for Darnold.

Great point the market is definitely down 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

What happens if you do that and darnold beats out the rookie qb? 

Why would this be a bad thing? It could mean that he is just better right now, and the rookie needs time to develop. Or it could mean that Darnold has developed into the guy. Either situation is good. There was a time when the Chargers had both Rivers and Brees. There was a time the Pack had both Favre and Rodgers. 

Making rookie QBs start on Day 1 is a relatively new phenomenon. And, frankly, it's stupid unless they clearly are ready.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, genot said:

Your judgment of Darnold as a QB is premature. Sounds silly. He's been a starter for three years. Nothing in the last two years, has went the way of anybody doing well, or improving their game, with the coaching, the system, and the talent in place.

I am tired of fans making excuses for Darnold.  You know it's a double edged sword with wanting to surround him with better coaching, players, etc...there are some QB's that make all of that look better and Darnold is not that kind of QB.  He has shown nothing that indicates he's worth giving him anymore than he already has...personally, I've seen enough of this kid and I'm not even going to touch his mechanics...and to still see ghosts, come on already.  Enough of the excuses for Darnold, he never stepped up.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

Why would this be a bad thing? It could mean that he is just better right now, and the rookie needs time to develop. Or it could mean that Darnold has developed into the guy. Either situation is good. There was a time when the Chargers had both Rivers and Brees. There was a time the Pack had both Favre and Rodgers. 

Making rookie QBs start on Day 1 is a relatively new phenomenon. And, frankly, it's stupid unless they clearly are ready.

Because then you wasted the 2nd overall pick. You would have to trade darnold at some point. Farve wasn't in his early 20s when Rodgers got there. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Pac said:

The mental gymnastics some of you go through to deny reality is hilarious.

If JD wanted to trade Sam he would have by now.  

With every day that passes the odds increase we're running it back with Sammy.  Embrace it.

Mental Gymnastics all around!

Those that think there's some super secret plan that involves moving on from Darnold, and those that think there's a possibility that Darnold isn't the worst QB in the NFL.

My question is related to 'Embrace it."  How do you recommend embracing us doing the same stupid sh*t we've done for the past 20 years, that's led us to being out of the playoffs for the past 10?

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...