Jump to content

Roll w Sam get two 1st's, a 2nd, a 3rd and a 4th


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Only talking about year 2. Also like I said, Allen is a completely different player with a lot more talent himself, and a completely different ballsy style of play.

Then it was 20 TDs to 9 INTs.  Not 29:9.  20:9 isn't awful but it's not exactly 'carry-the-team' stuff.  Year 2 he was still a rough prospect with upside.  Year 3 was a revelation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a reminder - browns got two 1s, 2nd, 3rd and 4th for the second pick.  Our second pick in the draft is valuable and should be traded for at least 2 1sts...roll with SAM  

I want to listen to Mike Greenberg talk about the Jets as much as I want to read articles by Manish

How many draft picks do you need to build a team?  I guess if you're building a team around the 32 ranked QB in the league you will need a whole bunch of them.

I think it simply comes down to the evaluation of these rookie QBs.  If Zach Wilson grades out at the same or better level than Sam Darnold then they should take Wilson.  The financial benefit of the rookie deal for 4-5 years is simply the tie-breaker.  You go with whoever you think the better QB is based on your organization's ability to evaluate and grade players.  If Darnold had a 94 grade and Wilson has a 93 then that's close enough..... you pivot to the rookie.

The curveball here would be if Wilson has a subpar Pro Day, if he just doesn't pass the in-person eye test, if the coaches see something unexpected that they don't like.  Seems doubtful that would happen but do we know if anyone on the Jets has ever seen Zack Wilson play live in-person.... or is it all film?

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BroadwayRay said:

Cincinnati did the same and I can assure you they have no regrets.

 

Their regret is not having built the OLine before putting that rookie in there and then watching him go out with a season-ending injury.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Then it was 20 TDs to 9 INTs.  Not 29:9.  20:9 isn't awful but it's not exactly 'carry-the-team' stuff.  Year 2 he was still a rough prospect with upside.  Year 3 was a revelation.

rushing tds

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also for the record, even though the thought of rolling with Darnold terrifies me I don't think we're done in the process yet.

It would be dumb to make a concrete decisions without all pro days and interviews done, I've said this from the start.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Cincinnati did the same and I can assure you they have no regrets.

Hang on, they picked a qb without a good online and how did that work out.

Build the roster and with good scouting you will find a Mahomes, allen, watson and put them in a position to succeed early in their carrier. 

Only one qb taken in the top 5 of the last 20 drafts has won a superbowl.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Adobolo said:

Hang on, they picked a qb without a good online and how did that work out.

Build the roster and with good scouting you will find a Mahomes, allen, watson and put them in a position to succeed early in their carrier. 

Only one qb taken in the top 5 of the last 20 drafts has won a superbowl.

He got hurt, but in the games he played he put up much better play and numbers than Darnold ever has. He was on track for 90 rating, 65 CMP, and 4k+ yards.

Also the Bills and Texans sucked when they drafted their guys. The Bills literally had one of their best players quit at halftime, and the Texans had the #4 pick the next year from losing out without Watson because they were so bad.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple, sign a solid veteran QB, still like Bridgewater thought he looked very good when we had him. Trade out of the 2 spot for picks picks. Keep Sam for one more year and see if he is fixable or trade Sam if the offer for him is too good to refuse.
Draft a young development QB at 23 and allow him to sit for a year or two while either Sam or Teddy starts. Still do not know what we have in Morgan so that would be another option.
We are not winning any championship for the next few years so, use this time to develop a winning team and culture and maybe have some fun along the way.
Then in year 3 we should have a solid young QB entrenched in the system as well as a young core group around him. With luck we will also have a winning record and great competition for all the starting jobs on the field.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Link to post
Share on other sites

"There we go, it took a former Patriot to make some sense." 

That's all I needed to hear. Trade Sam Darnold.

I agree with @Integrity28 that we can trade Darnold and still trade down. There are more than two options for Joe Douglas in regards to building the 2021 Jets this off-season . Why should Joe pigeonhole himself into two choices, one of which he keeps Darnold and trades the 2nd overall pick, and the other he trades Darnold and reaches for a quarterback with the 2nd overall pick. Why not trade Darnold for a top 100 pick, and also trade down and get more draft capital going forward. Seems like the better choice in my honest opinion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Just a reminder - browns got two 1s, 2nd, 3rd and 4th for the second pick. 

Our second pick in the draft is valuable and should be traded for at least 2 1sts...roll with SAM

 

 

No. Take Zach Wilson. Trade Darnold

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
How many draft picks do you need to build a team? 
I guess if you're building a team around the 32 ranked QB in the league you will need a whole bunch of them.
If you keep darnold and he is still the 32nd ranked qb in the league you get your qb next year with enough draft capitol to give him some truly electric playmakers?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Um, lots when the last two GM's basically got nothing for this team for 7 years. 

This is true.

It is also true that when you have the worst QB in the league, you desperately need a better one.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nycdan said:

And then there's the fun fact that Josh Allen had a 56% completion percentage after two seasons which was 4 points worse than Darnold's.  In fact the stats mostly told the tale that Sam was better than Josh until 2020, when Josh had a great coaching staff, great system, and great players around him.  Maybe lightning struck in BUF and it's not repeatable, but the argument that it can't happen does tend to weaken a bit with such a recent and glaring example to the contrary.

Allen, who I hated at the draft, and still am not sold on long term, has tangible skills to build around.  You've got a guy who's a threat to run, and who's got a ******* rocket launcher on his shoulder.

What does Sam have?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Allen, who I hated at the draft, and still am not sold on long term, has tangible skills to build around.  You've got a guy who's a threat to run, and who's got a ******* rocket launcher on his shoulder.

What does Sam have?

Beautiful strawberry hair

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

 

Their regret is not having built the OLine before putting that rookie in there and then watching him go out with a season-ending injury.

 

Justin Herbert just put up an OROY performance behind the league’s worst Offensive Line.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

This is true.

It is also true that when you have the worst QB in the league, you desperately need a better one.

Again, there is nothing saying the QB has to come this year.  Maybe they give Darnold one last chance, and if he doesn't work out, you will have a lot more holes filled for the next guy, and possibly three #1's next year to get him with.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Darnold is being left out in the wind by JD and Saleh. His confidence is probably shot and then all of a sudden they will come to him and say “hey guess what?? We actually like you!”
They have to move on from him. It’s going to be really bad for him, the coaching staff and JD if Sam struggles. Let’s also not forget that we are still the 4the best team in our division. It will be brutal for Sam and all involved.


Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

So what? They got crap from that "haul" in terms of starting players. It worked out in the end, but only because of blind luck. Wentz's career was derailed by injuries and they continued to suck mightily, so they got Mayfield. Maybe you think the Jets should make another try at 0-16 in 2021 to secure the top pick?

meh. The Browns have been notoriously bad at doing stuff over the years. They rival how bad we've been. using their choices with the picks to devalue the picks is not really a good practice. 

So far I believe in JD and how he's doing things. I choose to believe that he would do a better job with the picks than the Browns. We already have 4 firsts the next to years. i could really stand to have 3 each over the next to years. Add to it a few extra 2nds and 3rds.  oh the fun we'll have in mock land :) 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Again, there is nothing saying the QB has to come this year.  Maybe they give Darnold one last chance, and if he doesn't work out, you will have a lot more holes filled for the next guy, and possibly three #1's next year to get him with.

And then we just pluck a QB off the QB tree, right?

All those picks mean nothing if we're waiting year after year for a QB. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I think it simply comes down to the evaluation of these rookie QBs.  If Zach Wilson grades out at the same or better level than Sam Darnold then they should take Wilson.  The financial benefit of the rookie deal for 4-5 years is simply the tie-breaker.  You go with whoever you think the better QB is based on your organization's ability to evaluate and grade players.  If Darnold had a 94 grade and Wilson has a 93 then that's close enough..... you pivot to the rookie.

The curveball here would be if Wilson has a subpar Pro Day, if he just doesn't pass the in-person eye test, if the coaches see something unexpected that they don't like.  Seems doubtful that would happen but do we know if anyone on the Jets has ever seen Zack Wilson play live in-person.... or is it all film?

I’m not understating the importance of a QB on a rookie deal, however we are in a unique position here.  
For arguments sake, let’s say we roll with Sam after a trade down.  If he does well, we extend him or pick up 5th year, yes he becomes more expensive (the 5th year option number is very palatable though).  

In theory many of our impact players will be draft picks both due to our lack of talent and our huge amount of picks.  So our QB might be expensive but much of the rest of the team will be on cheap rookie deals  (assuming we hit on picks). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...