Happy St. Patrick’s Day Jet Nation

St Patrick was from Britain.  Britain had been conquered by the Romans and they brought Christianity and the Latin language and alphabet to Britain.  Patrick's writings in Latin are the only attested writings from Western Europe in the 5th century.  The Irish monks who followed in Patrick's footsteps helped preserve the legacy of Rome and the manuscripts they maintained over the centuries in monasteries in Ireland, Britain and the Continent were the inspiration for the Renaissance in Western Europe.  I'm sure that if Patrick was alive today, he would be a Jet fan.

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

He was Scottish (yes I know Scotland is part of Britain but a lot of Scots don’t consider themselves Brits outside of the Ranger supporters LOL) of Roman descent captured by the Irish. 
Anyway, if anyone has practice for Paddy’s day it’s Jet fans. 

No he was a welshman, born in wales. 

25 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I thought he was a sephardic jew?

Oh wait, that was Christopher Columbus.

I prefer pastrami but the people we celebrate with every year INSIST on corned beef so there it is.

My contribution is 4 different types of mustard, the Guiness, some Harp and the Jameson.

What type of mustards?  I'm a mustard freak.

56 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I thought he was a sephardic jew?

Oh wait, that was Christopher Columbus.

I prefer pastrami but the people we celebrate with every year INSIST on corned beef so there it is.

My contribution is 4 different types of mustard, the Guiness, some Harp and the Jameson.

It should be Irish bacon in a boil not corned beef

1 hour ago, peebag said:

What type of mustards?  I'm a mustard freak.

Gold’s Mustard with Horseradish

Maille Old Style (the one that’s basically just mustard seeds in water/vinegar)

Inglehoffer Stone Ground (similar to the Maille)

Woeber’s Reserve Honey Mustard

Coleman’s Original English

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

@nycdan recommended an outstanding stout beer to me recently, Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. If you like Guiness Extra Stout, you'll love Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. Now please allow me to recommend a nice STOUT beer on St. Patrick's Day. It's a craft beer local to me called Empire Brewing Company Black Magic Irish Coffee. David Katleski who owned the Empire Brewing Company went through a bankruptcy and sold his brewery a couple years ago right before the pandemic, but he didn't sell the Empire name and beer recipes, not until last spring when Ellicotville Brewery Company in upstate NY acquired the intellectual property of Empire Brewing, which he's a consultant for this line of beer they're making. This is the beer I'm drinking today, but I can only handle about 2 of these pints because they're 7% alc.

Samuel Smith Stout two posts in a row! ? ? ? I had The Oatmeal Stout in my hand last year, but sometimes I'm averse to change. Next time. For the record, I absolutely detest beer for the most part, but I do really enjoy Stout (once or twice a year), because it's bitter, like me; which leads me to say I really liked English Bitters when I was in the UK a 100 years ago. What war were we fighting then? WW I was already over. I forget.

Anyway, I'm one of those people that really loves bitter bitter bitter bitter. Our entire liquor cabinet is filled with about fifteen different Amaros, and I'd pour Campari over my cereal if I didn't have to drive to work.

For those also into bitter bitter bitter bitter, I actually like Martini & Rossi 1872 Bitters better than Campari. I know it's supposed to be junkier, but it makes a FANTASTIC Negroni. I have one almost every night, with Martini & Rossi 1872 Bitters, Martini & Rossi Sweet Vermouth Rosso, and Hayman's London Dry Gin.

I'm so glad I wrote myself in as President of the United States. I just made the Negroni the national drink of the country. Negronis for everyone! It's why I wrote myself in. You're welcome.

• Upvote 1

OK, I forgot to take a picture of the Corned Beef & Cabbage, but not the bread.

Irish Soda Bread:

20210317-173302.jpg

Sourdough Rye:

20210317-190905-HDR.jpg

. . . and Semolina Bread that just came out of the oven this minute:

20210320-175520.jpg

People sometimes ask, "S-o-o-o-o, where are the pictures of your friends and family?" "Oh, that, I don't do that. I only take pictures of my dog and the bread that I make. Wait, that's not entirely true. Sometimes I take pictures of the bread that I made that's shaped like my dog." "OK."

• Upvote 1