Is WR still a premium position?

Look at the money being thrown around this off-season. All going to OL, Pass Rusher, and CB. Last years WR market was pretty dry as well in free agency with only Amari Cooper getting a big deal. 

We still are seeing plenty of WRs go high in the draft, but I wonder if that will begin to correct itself as well. There are so many good players available in the draft at WR that it seems to be a bit of a saturated market. More of these guys should really look to move to CB. 

If you are basing this on the free agent market then that’s not a good way of evaluating it.  The really good WRs rarely hit free agency.  There isn’t a WR currently on the market that deserves top positional money.  If Robinson and Godwin hit the market we would see some different numbers.  

The hierarchy of NFL positions IMO, is still QB, Edge, OT, WR, CB, IOL, LB, RB, Safety.  

• Upvote 4

Just now, sec101row23 said:

If you are basing this on the free agent market then that’s not a good way of evaluating it.  The really good WRs rarely hit free agency.  There isn’t a WR currently on the market that deserves top positional money.  If Robinson and Godwin hit the market we would see some different numbers.  

The hierarchy of NFL positions IMO, is still QB, Edge, OT, WR, CB, IOL, LB, RB, Safety.  

My hierarchy: Dawgs, Dawgs, Dawgs

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I'd personally put CB over WR. But I agree for the most part.

2 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Unless you have an elite QB that can make their WR’s look better than they are, a top WR is certainly a position I would pay for.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

This is exactly right. If you have an elite QB you can get away with mediocre, not terrible, but mediocre WR's. If you have a mediocre QB, you need elite WR talent. As much as QB is a skill that is hard to find, so is a WR with a combo of great route running, speed, hands and strength to create separation.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m basing it on the fact that there has been a significant increase in 2nd and 3rd round receivers are coming into this league and having an immediate impact. Isn’t that how the RB position began to lose value?

In a league dominated by Offense, with Offenses dominated by passing?

Yes, of course it is.

FA has just been weak (which says the great ones are being retained and don't hit FA, which supports it being premium).

And the Draft has been chock full of WR's recently (last year certainly, and this year looks similar).

No need to overpay a #2 in Free Agency when you have a good chance of drafting a #1 (or #2) in the first few rounds of the draft for much cheaper.

• Upvote 3

The signing of players at a position, when their asking price is raised by FA isnt the way to judge.

As others have said the league and the teams that dominate are led by their offenses, which is led by their ability to pass the ball downfield.  Its not happening without a good receiving unit

2 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Look at the money being thrown around this off-season. All going to OL, Pass Rusher, and CB. Last years WR market was pretty dry as well in free agency with only Amari Cooper getting a big deal. 

We still are seeing plenty of WRs go high in the draft, but I wonder if that will begin to correct itself as well. There are so many good players available in the draft at WR that it seems to be a bit of a saturated market. More of these guys should really look to move to CB. 

Well, if they are a legitimate X1, then yes, it is. 

Teams are not going to pay north of $20MM for a potential X1. 

Certainly not this year with so many great WRs coming out in the draft.

Yes, but the supply has gotten better - as a result of rule changes that made the passing game easier league wide.

Same reason most of the league has a solid if not good QB situation. You legit have to be really bad as an organization to bitch QB up as much as we do.

• Upvote 2

Sort of, but not really.

It's not hard to get good WR's. Most teams have at least one very good one, the Jets are always the exception. The more important thing is stacking the position with good talent. That's how you find good matchups and cause problems. Obviously if you have an elite one that gets easier but it's definitely not necessary. 

It is but it isn't.

With the plethora or WR's coming out every year, I think teams are more apt to draft a WR then to pay big bucks for a guy like JuJu who at times seems more worried about his social media than football.

Now if it is a guy like a Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson type that they only thing they care about is football then yeah I would pay big bucks. Guys like OBJ, Antonio Brown, are major issues and guys like JuJu and Justin Jefferson who are showing diva like tendencies I would stay away from.

• Upvote 1

Sort of.  WR production is going up.  There are more WR producing big numbers on a regular basis.  That has coincided with rule changes that both protect the QB and the WR.  Smaller quicker WR can survive in today's NFL.  That makes it a highly productive position.  It also has meant more athletes of various size and strength can fit in.  More supply doesn't mean less demand it just means the demand can be met at a lower overall cost to your roster.  We're seeing very productive WR go later in the draft. 

Conversely CB who can cover within the new rules are extremely valuable along with edge rushers who can disrupt the QB quickly.  The premium is on speed and quickness.  That also sets up teams to start running the ball again by overpowering the smaller quicker athletes by going right at them and overpowering them.   Edge guys are going early and so are the top CB's.  

The great thing about the NFL is it's a match up league and a league of adjustments.  There will always be an adjustment that none of us saw coming.  

• Upvote 1

Of course. At least "elite offensive playmaker" is a premium position.

You aren't seeing much money thrown around in FA for WR this offseason because not many "elite offensive playmakers" become FAs. Golladay was the only "top" guy to be a FA and he has major injury concerns. The next tier down (Davis, JuJu, Will Fuller) aren't quite at that level.

Simply put, "average" WRs are pretty easy to find.

19 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

WR never was. It’s in the second tier with Guards.

Premium Positions are: QB, OT, CB, Edge

2nd Tier: Guards, WR, Pass rushing DTs

Bottom Tier: Centers, RB, Off ball LBs, Run stuffing DTs, Safety

Having seen what a difference there is between a great Center and a bad Center, I'm surprised this still seems to be the case. 

• Post of the Week 1