Joe Douglas Thoughts: MERGED

SAR I

Maybe he can, but if I was him I wouldn’t count on in. His inactivity leads me to question if he has the competitiveness to excel as an NFL GM.

He picked his coach. Now is the time to spend his money and draft his QB while he still can. There are no friends is this business. Just ask John Idzik how a patient approach can backfire in this league. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, joewilly12 said:

With as bad a roster as the 2020 NY Jets had I would have thought there would be a lot more free agent signings going on here. 

JD seems to be too laid back in the position to make any major improvements needed here. 

I hope i'm wrong. 

I was hoping to see far more activity. The guy sat through 0-13/2-14. You would think he would have a “never again under my watch” mindset. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Did I miss something or did Sleepy Joe let an entire day go by without signing anyone?

SAR I

Not his fault. Someone needs to let him know free agency isn't a one day event. It is on someone.. not named Joe Douglas or Sam Darnold. 

Fans are definitely frustrated watching players they want signing elsewhere.  Players that seem affordable.  Maybe he’s saving up for bigger splashes?  Hard to say but I’m sure he knows his job is on the line but he won’t be as desperate as the Patriots.

• Upvote 1

Let’s see, so, we had 17 players hit free agency today and we resigned 1 player, so that’s like 17-1 and that equals 16. 

Can someone check my math?  I don’t have to tell you I’m a little tired up here and the Earth is getting pretty big in the window.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GreekJet said:

I was hoping to see far more activity. The guy sat through 0-13/2-14. You would think he would have a “never again under my watch” mindset. 

Have you guys not listened to him from day1? Why is eveyone surprised? Joe has been preaching build through the draft from the very beginning. The top 2 teams in free agency spending from 2016-2021 is Jets and Jaguars. Both also have the worst records in the nfl during that stretch. Free agency is fools gold used by bad teams to shut up their fan bases.

• Sympathy 2

13 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Mccagnan got criticized for signing aging veteran “names” and overpaying. Douglas getting criticized for signing 26 yr olds with upside to reasonable, short-term, cap friendly contracts. 

No. Douglas is getting reamed for letting positions go un-addressed for two years running. The same holes we've had in our roster since his first day...are still holes in our roster. He's only slightly better than a GM who doubles down on safety the first two rounds of a draft when our young QB he doesn't want to give up on is Hackenberg. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Please stop with the Maccagnan love, we have a real GM. 

Stop brining ghosts into the conversation.  We have a GM.  And to date all he's proven is that he's really good at trading and releasing our best players.

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Many of the comments about Douglas being asleep are from posters that advocated for Q to be traded and stated he was a bust. Now there is no way Q gets traded. Let JD do his job and see what happens as I do have confidence in his approach to making the squad viable playoff contenders for the long term and very optimistic about his recent signings 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

The team was be rift of talent before he got here   Had to tear the whole thing down and start from ground up. The 7-9 record was against a schedule full of tomato cans masquerading as NFL teams. When they played a schedule with actual good teams with some continuity during this aberration of a season due to the extenuating circumstances the record was not going to be great. Didn’t think it was 2-14 bad ( more like 4-12 5-11 ) but was foreseeable. One draft and we want to railroad him out of town. Let’s give him a chance