Jump to content

Cimini "Sam Darnold market is shrinking as New York Jets mull QB decision"


Recommended Posts

Rich Cimini
ESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The NFL's quarterback market, quiet since the Feb. 18 Carson Wentz trade, is speaking again. It's telling the New York Jets that Sam Darnold isn't good enough to wait around for.

Over the past few days, the Chicago Bears, Washington Football Team, New Orleans Saints and New England Patriots completed agreements with Andy Dalton, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jameis Winston and Cam Newton, respectively. They're all projected starters, all on one-year deals.

At this rate, the league will have more bridges than New York's East River.

If the Jets are planning to trade Darnold, their options are dwindling. It's not their fault. They're performing due diligence on the incoming class of quarterbacks for the 2021 NFL draft, and the prospects' pro days won't be wrapped up until the end of the month -- BYU's Zach Wilson on March 26, Ohio State's Justin Fields on March 30. The way we hear it, Jets general manager Joe Douglas has a particular affinity for Wilson.

In the meantime, the quarterback-needy teams, getting antsy, secured insurance at the start of NFL free agency. Business wasn't going to halt while the Jets decide Darnold's fate.

2021 NFL free agency coverage

• Tracking signings, cuts, trades, more »
• Grading the biggest deals » | Top 100 »
• Experts debate free-agency signings »
• See more on free agency »

While the Bears, Washington and Patriots probably will look to draft a quarterback, they basically bowed out as potential suitors for Darnold. (Not that the Patriots ever bowed in; there's no way he would be traded within the division.) When ESPN reporter Dianna Russini asked a Washington source about the possibility of dealing for Darnold after landing Fitzpatrick, she was told, "Don't waste your time."

OK, then.

Does the shrinking market mean Darnold won't be traded? It's too soon to say.

The outcome of the Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson sagas with the Seattle Seahawks and Houston Texans, respectively, could shake up the landscape as the draft approaches. The San Francisco 49ers and Denver Broncos, both linked to Watson in trade rumors, could be interested in Darnold at some point. Publicly, the 49ers have backed Jimmy Garoppolo, but there's some thought they might want to bring in legitimate competition. The Carolina Panthers are looking to make a splash at quarterback, although Darnold probably doesn't qualify as splashy.

Truth is, the Jets haven't made a decision, yet. They haven't committed to Darnold and they're fielding inquiries, leading some around the league to believe he will be dealt. Coach Robert Saleh is known to be a Darnold supporter; he believes they can unlock the potential that made the former USC Trojans quarterback the No. 3 overall pick in 2018.

In the end, it's Douglas' call.

The prudent move is to keep Darnold and auction the No. 2 overall pick, parlaying that choice into multiple picks -- the best way to improve their talent-starved roster. Neither Wilson nor Fields is a sure thing, so running it back with Darnold makes sense despite the obvious financial benefit to trading him and drafting a replacement.

It's a multi-layered decision that could run up to the draft. And it's a tough spot for Darnold, who might have to twist in the warm winds of Southern California a bit longer.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was no market, he's trash.

This state of sports journalism is really sad these days. Just because Chicago and Washington signed to over the hill vets to short, cheap contracts does not mean they are out of the QB market. Maybe

Tell Rich Cimini to STFU!! He's just mad that they're not giving him any inside info and he has no clue what's going on, so it's back to Doom and Gloom reporting. Smh Nothing to see here people m

Posted Images

The more I think about it the more I expect the team is going to keep Darnold and draft at #2 and let them fight it out. Outside of Watson all the big QB moves seem to have been made. Between Darnold and a draft pick they will spend around $15MM on QB for the year which is around the league average and they can afford the cap hit of paying average QB money. If Darnold ends up as the backup the team is still financially better off spending the average for a starter to have both its QB1 and QB2 needs filled. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

The more I think about it the more I expect the team is going to keep Darnold and draft at #2 and let them fight it out. Outside of Watson all the big QB moves seem to have been made. Between Darnold and a draft pick they will spend around $15MM on QB for the year which is around the league average and they can afford the cap hit of paying average QB money. If Darnold ends up as the backup the team is still financially better off spending the average for a starter to have both its QB1 and QB2 needs filled. 

When you take a QB at #2 overall you don't have him "fight it out" with the statistical worst QB in the league. Sam's days are numbered. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Perhaps we should review all of the Jets beat crackerjack reporting the week prior to the Jamal Adams trade, wherein the Jets were allegedly in disarray and the locker was in tatters because they loved Jamal Adams so much. 

 

I still weep for Baby J before I go to bed. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

and?  it's not like he was going to be traded to a team to be their starter.  at best he would be going to push the incumbent and then probably settle for a second string job.  and i doubt any team would excercise the fifth year option so he'll be looking for work the following season.  imo the only team he has a real chance of landing a starting job is the jets.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope to get a second for him but I'm not going to rush it. I wouldn't move him till they're sold on a QB #2 either. I'd rather they actually have a plan.

We might have to roll with Sam next year. We're paying this a$$hole(Douglas) right now. If he's not sold on a QB by the draft we're getting a kings ransom for the pick. If we are sold on one by then maybe the second round pick for Sam drops to a 3rd. It's worth it to actually have a plan. If he ****s up I I already got my rusty pitchfork from Bradway

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pointman said:

The prudent move is to keep Darnold and auction the No. 2 overall pick, parlaying that choice into multiple picks -- the best way to improve their talent-starved roster. Neither Wilson nor Fields is a sure thing, so running it back with Darnold makes sense despite the obvious financial benefit to trading him and drafting a replacement.

This makes absolutely no sense. Literally the only sure thing in this situation is that Darnold is terrible. From any perspective—contending immediately, initiating a long rebuild, Joe Douglas keeping his job—bringing back Darnold is the least prudent move available.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grandy said:

 

This!  JD is waiting until after he has a chance to meet Wilson in person before making any decisions.  It is the smart move and hopefully the market for Sam will not have changed that much in a week.   If Wilson makes a good impression, Sam is history. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

The more I think about it the more I expect the team is going to keep Darnold and draft at #2 and let them fight it out. Outside of Watson all the big QB moves seem to have been made. Between Darnold and a draft pick they will spend around $15MM on QB for the year which is around the league average and they can afford the cap hit of paying average QB money. If Darnold ends up as the backup the team is still financially better off spending the average for a starter to have both its QB1 and QB2 needs filled. 

I can't imagine a worse case scenario than keeping Sam and drafting a QB at 2. Makes absolutely no sense imho, it immediately reduces the value of both players.

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

maybe other teams know that...

1. sam sucks

2. we are picking 2 in a draft that has decent qb options

3. sam's price will drop the longer we wait

4. sam sucks

After asking around the league, Matt Lambardo says that the opinion on jets' QB Sam Darnold is significantly lower inside the league then it is among fans and media, with one NFL offensive coach saying: "He stinks, bro."

 

Lombardo goes on to add that one former GM said that among this year's draft class, he would have Darnold ranked as the number four quarterback.

 

https://nfltraderumors.co/afc-notes-bills-dolphins-jets-patriots-62/

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, flgreen said:

After asking around the league, Matt Lambardo says that the opinion on jets' QB Sam Darnold is significantly lower inside the league then it is among fans and media, with one NFL offensive coach saying: "He stinks, bro."

 

Lombardo goes on to add that one former GM said that among this year's draft class, he would have Darnold ranked as the number four quarterback.

 

https://nfltraderumors.co/afc-notes-bills-dolphins-jets-patriots-62/

four seems high

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grandy said:

 

I just hope that Jax doesn’t draft Wilson before our team thats all I can say.

Someone posted detail of ALL of Chris Simm’s QB analysis over the last few years and it was amazing, bullseye after bullseye.  Now he is saying that Zach Wilson is the best QB in this draft.  I also saw Wilson interviewed where he was requested to explain what he was seeing on each play and why he ultimately did what he did.  Kid is extremely extremely sharp upstairs, makes Darnold look like a beach boy Simpleton.  Now you couple that with his deadly accuracy on virtually ANY throw?  Again I hope to hear “With the 1st Pick Jacksonville selects Trevor Lawrence”.

 

  • Confused 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i told you he sucks

i love how " the fans think more of him than GMs ". well of course they do. they believe all these NFL insiders.

tell me what happens to Cimini and these other NFL insiders if they get anything wrong? do they get fired? no. so why listen to them. most of these guys had us getting a #1 for Sam a month or 2 ago. now were not? 

but the GMs who job it is to get it right dont love Sam. that because they will get fired if they trade a 2 or maybe a 3 for Sam and get it wrong.

Sam sucks

 

 

 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Cimini is to be believed and the Jets are still "Mulling" a decision on Sam Darnold - we are in much worse shape than any of us could imagine.

It would mean JD is completely lost - if at this point he doesn't know what to do with his current QB or the #2 pick - it's very troublesome.

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If Cimini is to be believed and the Jets are still "Mulling" a decision on Sam Darnold - we are in much worse shape than any of us could imagine.

It would mean JD is completely lost - if at this point he doesn't know what to do with his current QB or the #2 pick - it's very troublesome.

This is plausible, but I feel like the report of there being conflicting opinions between Saleh, Lafleur, and Douglas has some merit. Douglas seems high on Wilson though which is a good thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Grandy said:

This is plausible, but I feel like the report of there being conflicting opinions between Saleh, Lafleur, and Douglas has some merit. Douglas seems high on Wilson though which is a good thing.

Agreed, but it's crazy to think JD hasn't made a call yet.  It's his decision.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

JD has badly misplayed this regardless. If he’s keeping Sam and trading down, not getting a legit vet QB to compete is just gross negligence. If he is trading Sam, he just lost a ton of leverage not doing this sooner. If he plans on taking a qb at 2 and holding Sam as a bridge qb, that he just screwed the potential for A draft pick with incredibly little gain. 

Hope i’m wrong, but this feels like a huge blunder.

Until you have players to extend and a qb on a second contract fiscal conservatism is a competitive disadvantage. Cap space issues haven’t been a thing until this year, and even then, the tv deal is going to bail them all out so everyone gets to manipulate cap hits to future years. I like Lawson and Davis for the most part, but I question the general approach of this offseason. 

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

If Cimini is to be believed and the Jets are still "Mulling" a decision on Sam Darnold - we are in much worse shape than any of us could imagine.

It would mean JD is completely lost - if at this point he doesn't know what to do with his current QB or the #2 pick - it's very troublesome.

I mean he did draft a QB and a couple of other players that couldn’t even make the depth chart last year Smfh 

 

Well anyways in before the sarcastic Joe Douglas defensive comments and Darnold truther, Gase blaming 🤷‍♂️

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JetBlue said:

This!  JD is waiting until after he has a chance to meet Wilson in person before making any decisions.  It is the smart move and hopefully the market for Sam will not have changed that much in a week.   If Wilson makes a good impression, Sam is history. 

Only thing that helps is Watson has just become un-tradable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

JD has badly misplayed this regardless. If he’s keeping Sam and trading down, not getting a legit vet QB to compete is just gross negligence. If he is trading Sam, he just lost a ton of leverage not doing this sooner. If he plans on taking a qb at 2 and holding Sam as a bridge qb, that he just screwed the potential for A draft pick with incredibly little gain. 

Hope i’m wrong, but this feels like a huge blunder.

Until you have players to extend and a qb on a second contract fiscal conservatism is a competitive disadvantage. Cap space issues haven’t been a thing until this year, and even then, the tv deal is going to bail them all out so everyone gets to manipulate cap hits to future years. I like Lawson and Davis for the most part, but I question the general approach of this offseason. 

Looks like he doesn’t have a plan to me..

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...