Now MULTIPLE cases being brought against watson

Barkus

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Baseless doubt. Kim Ogg won office on a campaign based almost entirely on the protection of rape victims. Harris County is actually the one place you don't want this to be if you are on Watson's legal team. Complete uphill climb in this regard from here on out.

That could be true.  My doubt was based off conversations with my attorney relative...but he and I were not taking into account who the DA was...

Baseless doubt. Kim Ogg won office on a campaign based almost entirely on the protection of rape victims. Harris County is actually the one place you don't want this to be if you are on Watson's legal team. Complete uphill climb in this regard from here on out.

How is it baseless doubt considering:

1.  No police reports.  Houston PD has repeatedly said nothing has been presented.  Even though Buzz said he would a while ago.

2.  Everything is still anonymous with no evidence. 

This does not mean he's innocent, but it's hardly baseless to suggest there won't be criminal charges.

I mean at least wait for some official report.

Just now, TokyoJetsFan said:

That could be true.  My doubt was based off conversations with my attorney relative...but he and I were not taking into account who the DA was...

No idea when those convos take place but as of today's it's a whole new ballgame. The SI story is bad. Really bad. The amount of corroboration and accusations is overwhelming, everything falls with in statute of limitations, and some of the accusations are most certainly 100% sexual assault under Texas law. With this much corroboration over time, both prior and post, there is definitely plenty of opportunity for charges to be filed.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mike135 said:

How is it baseless doubt considering:

1.  No police reports.  Houston PD has repeatedly said nothing has been presented.  Even though Buzz said he would a while ago.

2.  Everything is still anonymous with no evidence. 

This does not mean he's innocent, but it's hardly baseless to suggest there won't be criminal charges.

I mean at least wait for some official report.

There isn't going to be any meaningful "evidence" - these are he said/she said cases and a lot of sexual harassment (as well as sexual assault) victims are extremely hesitant to participate in criminal proceedings. My wife was sexually harassed and assaulted as a teenager and young woman and had no interest in telling a courtroom what happened to her. 

• In the big picture, it is relatively easy for these women to bring their claims through this prominent local ambulance chaser lawyer, but if they have to go into court, get cross-examined, have Watson's investigators dig up every little thing they ever did wrong, I don't see that happening.  Its not like Vick and the dogs.  Sex crimes are very hard to presecute.
  • But my cynical view is that this behavior was known by people in the Texans, who looked the other way.  Had to.  After Watson betrayed the Texans (he did just sign a long-term contract), the Texans betrayed Watson.  
  • The Texans will now get out of paying Watson any money.  
  • So, in the end, we have a bunch of very, very sleezy characters.  
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

No idea when those convos take place but as of today's it's a whole new ballgame. The SI story is bad. Really bad. The amount of corroboration and accusations is overwhelming, everything falls with in statute of limitations, and some of the accusations are most certainly 100% sexual assault under Texas law. With this much corroboration over time, both prior and post, there is definitely plenty of opportunity for charges to be filed.

Thank you for the color.  I need to read the SI article now.

16 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

There isn't going to be any meaningful "evidence" - these are he said/she said cases and a lot of sexual harassment (as well as sexual assault) victims are extremely hesitant to participate in criminal proceedings. My wife was sexually harassed and assaulted as a teenager and young woman and had no interest in telling a courtroom what happened to her. 

16 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's baseless to doubt it will happen. Not knowing is different than doubting.

DA's may have their own investigators and can charge you without a police report being filed in certain instances.

Corroboration is evidence. 

Victims are kept anonymous because that's how sexual assault cases work; for reasons that you honestly need look no further than this thread as to why. 

I have no doubt most sexual assault instances go unreported.  Even now.

Hell just imagine decades ago.  Doesn't take much imagination.  During lockdown I started watching some older flicks.  007 from the 60s, that Dolly Parton 80s flick "9 to 5".

I mean it was almost assumed guys were harassing women daily.

But is it really possible to charge someone without the accused being able to face (and cross examine) their accuser?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yes. I think people are forgetting this isnt a simple he said/she said case.

This is a... he said/she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said... and apparently there are quite a few damning text messages from him and an established pattern of behavior. 

I would like to see Deshaun Watson's side and texts at least before I rush to judgement, but from what we know at the moment it's pretty damning.

I do have some sympathy for Deshaun for the moment until all the facts come out cause let me tell you guys something I dont talk about all that much, I have a unique perspective on this because I have been accused of sexual assault before and it ******* blows BIG time. In my case it was just one girl, and I had hundreds of text messages saved that proved my innocence among other things, along with a sterling reputation that would make Deshaun look like Pol Pot, and it STILL took about 4 months to clear it up, and this was pre-covid about 7 years ago, before the legal system wasnt so back dated with stuff. 

This may not even go to civil trial until the end of the year if it doesnt get settled. I will be absolutely stunned if Deshaun plays a down this year, even IF he is completely innocent. 

7 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I have no doubt most sexual assault instances go unreported.  Even now.

Hell just imagine decades ago.  Doesn't take much imagination.  During lockdown I started watching some older flicks.  007 from the 60s, that Dolly Parton 80s flick "9 to 5".

I mean it was almost assumed guys were harassing women daily.

But is it really possible to charge someone without the accused being able to face (and cross examine) their accuser?

Yep. Happens all the time. You can't force the victim of a sex case to testify in many instances. Sometimes makes the case harder for the prosecutor; but possible? Absolutely.

8 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yep. Happens all the time. You can't force the victim of a sex case to testify. Sometimes makes the case harder for the prosecutor; but possible? Absolutely.

We need a lawyer to chime in.

I thought the accused always had the right to face their accuser.

Edit:  The Confrontation Clause of the Sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that "in all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right…to be confronted with the witnesses against him." Generally, the right is to have a face-to-face confrontation with witnesses who are offering testimonial

Not at all. In many instances the charge is strategic to negotiate a plea.

Yeah I suppose.

Really have to wonder though, if it's all but inevitable that Watson is guilty here, what are his sponsors waiting for?

You'd figure a monster like Nike has teams of professionals looking into matters just like this.

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Yeah I suppose.

Really have to wonder though, if it's all but inevitable that Watson is guilty here, what are his sponsors waiting for?

You'd figure a monster like Nike has teams of professionals looking into matters just like this.

Be honest, you're the guy at the restaurant that wants to order stuff that isn't on the menu, aren't you.

• Haha 1

Be honest, you're the guy at the restaurant that wants to order stuff that isn't on the menu, aren't you.

Just sayin'...  if Nike and Rolex thought this was going to inevitably end up bad for DW, they'd drop him immediately.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Just sayin'...  if Nike and Rolex thought this was going to inevitably end up bad for DW, they'd drop him immediately.  

Not neccesarily, but the second someone outs them on Twitter for still supporting him and gets it trending...

Then they will ghost him immediately. 

It's how these corporations work now.

Just now, JTJet said:

Not neccesarily, but the second someone outs them on Twitter for still supporting him and gets it trending...

True.  See Georgia n MLB, PGA, Hollywood.

Damn it, now I have to check their twitters.

7 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Seems Nike is dealing with some devil shoe issue.  For real, no joke.  Smh...

They may be distracted for a while.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This whole shebang now largely depends on whether the girls have electronic records of the events.  Both stuff - e-mails, phone calls and texts - to and from him along with stuff they sent to others that match up with other corroborating evidence such as credit card charges for the massages.  Lets face it, these women were working at the time.  Keeping business records is just good practice. 

It now comes down to whether all of these women are making it up as part of a conspiracy to destroy him or whether they are all telling the truth.  C'mon fellas, which is more likely?  

If they are telling the truth, than there will be corroborating evidence.  If there is corroborating evidence then he is going to face successful civil suits and criminal prosecutions.  Given the volume of cases and likelihood of corroborating evidence again - these are businesswomen - he is in deep trouble. 

The very idea that he should be acquired to wear the green is absurd.  He is now a massive headache for the Texans and the NFL.  The Jets are not going to jump into the fire. 

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

We need a lawyer to chime in.

I thought the accused always had the right to face their accuser.

Edit:  The Confrontation Clause of the Sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that "in all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right…to be confronted with the witnesses against him." Generally, the right is to have a face-to-face confrontation with witnesses who are offering testimonial

While that is true, there are also "rape shield" laws which prevent the accused from delving into a woman's past to smear her testimony.  It greatly limits what is and is not fair game on cross examination. 

If there is corroborating evidence, he is in a lot of trouble.  Since these women were in business - most of them carried a license to do that work - it is very likely there is plenty of corroborating evidence.  If they sent e-mails to friends about the encounters that are contemporaneous with the events - very likely today.  Then . . . .

My point is that sanctions from the NFL are the least of his problems now.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Oh gotcha.  I'm assuming the two are linked.  I mean if a charge is going to be successful, it's going to trial no?

No.  Most cases result in plea bargains.  Moreover, in most jurisdictions a decision to go to trial carries heavy consequences.  A plea bargain can mean a year in the county jail.  A guilty jury verdict after a full-blown trial can mean a decade in state prison. 

6543C6E9-4279-49C6-A0CA-1E0AD0A1BD3A.thumb.jpeg.17ddbe83d6bb3c47b542af32aedb5b1b.jpeg

Yeah, “Big D” is in big trouble.

Oh, and Watson’s big defense for seeking out massage therapists on Instagram?  COVID.  Well, problemo numero uno with that is that this incident is from 2019.  There goes that.

16 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

He obviously has a massage happy ending fetish. Why didnt this idiot just go to places that are known to do that instead of trying to coerce normal therapists into it? 

Without going all psychoanalytical, I would guess that coercing women who don't want to do those things to do those things is a major part of the kick. It's a power thing as much as a sex thing - abusing power to get the women to do things they don't want to do. Very sick stuff.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, varjet said:
  • In the big picture, it is relatively easy for these women to bring their claims through this prominent local ambulance chaser lawyer, but if they have to go into court, get cross-examined, have Watson's investigators dig up every little thing they ever did wrong, I don't see that happening.  Its not like Vick and the dogs.  Sex crimes are very hard to presecute.
  • But my cynical view is that this behavior was known by people in the Texans, who looked the other way.  Had to.  After Watson betrayed the Texans (he did just sign a long-term contract), the Texans betrayed Watson.  
  • The Texans will now get out of paying Watson any money.  
  • So, in the end, we have a bunch of very, very sleezy characters.  

And TomShane. :-)

31 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Without going all psychoanalytical, I would guess that coercing women who don't want to do those things to do those things is a major part of the kick. It's a power thing as much as a sex thing - abusing power to get the women to do things they don't want to do. Very sick stuff.

yeah thats probably it. it's more than just a fetish.....it's deviant and abusive 

8 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

He will.  These are civil suits and I doubt the DA will bring a criminal case against him based on whats been brought forth already.   I'm not saying he should be allowed to play again, but just saying be prepared for something way less harsh than never playing football again.

He'll be allowed to play. But he's going to catch an indefinite suspension. Houston will void his contract and recoup his signing bonus, and no other team will take the PR hit/distraction of signing him while the suspension is pending. Just a prediction

• Upvote 3