PHILLIP LINDSAY

kmnj

He’s a good RB.  At the right price point, he’d be a good addition.  If not, there are plenty of other RBs on the market.  If the oline is good enough, any decent RB should be fine. Need to invest in the oline - assume that’s still on JDs todo list and he’s just waiting for the prices to be right.  Most teams regret spending big money on free agents within a year or two.  Let’s wait to judge JD on where he ends up.

24 minutes ago, Milo1735 said:

He’s a good RB.  At the right price point, he’d be a good addition.  If not, there are plenty of other RBs on the market.  If the oline is good enough, any decent RB should be fine. Need to invest in the oline - assume that’s still on JDs todo list and he’s just waiting for the prices to be right.  Most teams regret spending big money on free agents within a year or two.  Let’s wait to judge JD on where he ends up.

the bolded is nonsense 

maybe bad teams regretted it because they signed bad players

there are MANY examples of teams that spent big money on free agents and those free agents helped teams tremendously many times winning rings

44 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Do you think it’s the players we have or the offense we’ve been running?

the offense no doubt stunk.  can't say for sure about the players, but we are talking perine who didn't really show much last year and two other guys who've bounced around the league for a few years.

not sure why we wouldn't look to bring in a more proven player.  it's not like RBs are getting huge contracts in this market

4 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

the offense no doubt stunk.  can't say for sure about the players, but we are talking perine who didn't really show much last year and two other guys who've bounced around the league for a few years.

not sure why we wouldn't look to bring in a more proven player.  it's not like RBs are getting huge contracts in this market

Ty Johnson is a 4.40 guy at 5'11, 210

When Gore didn't play against the Raiders he went off, 22 carries for 104 yards and 1 TD.  I'm not saying he is going to immediately become a top-15 RB in the NFL, but what I am saying is we have no idea what we have in our stable because we ran Frank f'n Gore on 2-yard HB Dives last year instead of finding out. 

17 minutes ago, kmnj said:

the bolded is nonsense 

maybe bad teams regretted it because they signed bad players

there are MANY examples of teams that spent big money on free agents and those free agents helped teams tremendously many times winning rings

I don’t think so.  Of course there are some examples, but most do not pan out.  

not that this is conclusive but

And this

All the big money players signed during the first couple of days of free agency look like stars and a big help to their teams, but mostly they don’t.

The Jets have consistently been “big winners” in March.  Not so much in Sept - Jan.  This year notwithstanding, the Pats never spend big in March and they’ve done a bit better than the Jets during the season.  

I’m fine with taking a more conservative approach.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

70 catches in the first two seasons and he does pick up the blitz. 

70 catches in 2 seasons with averages of 12-16 yards per reception isn’t good. Especially the yards part. 

he doesn’t pick up the blitz. He ranks as one of the worst RBs in pass protection in the league. 

4 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

70 catches in the first two seasons and he does pick up the blitz. 

[OC] Broncos Backfield Clarification

I had previously written an absolute essay on the [Patriots backfield](https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasyfootball/comments/d8rwii/oc_patriots_backfield_clarification/) on this subreddit after noticing some people curious about the situation and not knowing the trends.  When writing my snap count article (shout out to [FantasyAlarm.com](https://FantasyAlarm.com)) I noticed another trend for the Broncos backfield that is much more simple and easy to write up so figured I would pop in here quick to drop some info.

In simple terms: Phillip Lindsay's inability to block is what is causing the snap share to be split.

Different sites have different definitions for pressures or hurries but my general understanding is a pressure is any play where the defender breaks his block resulting in a limited time for the QB to stand in the pocket and a hurry is when the defender actually forces the quarterback to make a decision he likely wouldn't otherwise make.  So you can have a pressure without a hurry when a defender gets in and the quarterback scrambles to his right then plants and completes a pass.  If the defender gets in and the QB throws it at the RB's feet just to get rid of it - that's a pressure and a hurry without a hit or a sack.

So far this year Lindsay has been asked to pass block on 8 plays and he's let up 4 pressures and 4 hurries.  In reality, that means that he's ruined about 50% of the pass plays he's been asked to block on.  In week 3, he and Freeman split the plays fairly evenly 41 to 36 while Freeman had 20 pass plays (1 route run, 1 pass block) and Lindsay had 17 pass plays (14 routes run and 3 pass blocks).  This had been the trend all year with a fairly even split down the middle.  On 2 of those 3 pass blocks, Lindsay allowed a pressure and hurry.  On the year, Freeman has pass blocked 14 times and has only let up 1 pressure and 1 hurry.  Lindsay's pass blocking grade on PFF is *6.2* and Freeman's is 85.5.  As of now according to PFF, Lindsay is **literally the worst pass blocking back** out of anyone that has played on at least two pass plays - not in the top 100 runningbacks.

This week they said enough is enough - Freeman was out there for 26 pass plays (21 routes and 5 pass blocks) while Lindsay was out there for 15 pass plays (14 routes and 1 pass block).  So despite Lindsay once again being the clear better runner (9 carries for 53 yards vs. 6 for 16 yards for Freeman) his inability to protect the quarterback led to Freeman outsnapping him 34 plays to 25.  And Freeman didn't allow any pressures on his 5 pass plays while catching 4 passes.

So there you have it - if Freeman can run better or Phillip Lindsay can figure out how the hell the pass blocking scheme works then you might see one of them takeover the lion's share of the job.  Or maybe Freeman will start blowing protections and they'll decide he's worthless.  But until then, the job will likely continue to remain split.

That’s from a year ago, when he was having a good season 

1 hour ago, Tranquilo said:

70 catches in 2 seasons with averages of 12-16 yards per reception isn’t good. Especially the yards part. 

he doesn’t pick up the blitz. He ranks as one of the worst RBs in pass protection in the league. 

I didn’t say he was Tom Rathman. I said he’d pick up the blitz and he’s perfectly fine as a receiver. 

He’s also not on the Jets so who cares?