Jets talking with JuJu

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What 2 win team has IDENTITY, swagger and attitude? 

You dont need players with swagger, you need players who can get you wins

Yes sir i'm quite confident Ju-Ju Smith Schuster would contribute to the NY Jets winning football games. 

Thank you. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, genot said:

My guess would be, they might be targeting Rondale Moore. He's fragile, so you limit his touches. When he's in the slot, you move JuJu outside. Crowder doesn't do much after the catch. That's what Moore can give you.

We have so many holes, I don't think we can even invest a high resource into depth at the WR position. This is coming from someone who would love to get Moore as well. Do an NFL Draft simulator. We need two CBs, SS (interchangeable), SDE (270-80 lbs), DE (Situation pass rusher 240-50 lbs), WLB (unless you have faith in Davis). That's just defense alone. Hope JD makes more signings to free up an opportunity to target offense.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I still don't get the logic here...your point is what?  It's better to not have Crowder than to have him?

Why didn't they Force Feed the other garbage on the roster?  He was force fed because he was the only talent they had....

I'm not saying don't add Juju I'm saying keep Crowder too.  

I just want to understand why anyone and I mean anyone would want to cut him?  What exactly are we going to spend that saved cap money on - that will be more beneficial to the Jets.  Like $7mm on a back-up LB from the Detroit Lions?   You're not resigning crowder, you're keeping him on the last year of deal.  

Sign Juju and keep Crowder, Crowder as a 4th option would make me a very happy man.  

I dont usually agree with your opinions but this one is on point.  He can obviously get open and gain separation.  It  isnt like he just took up all the good plays like other posters are making it seem.  Crowder has talent and on this team? Scheme be damned you take talent where you can get it.  Like him and Juju can be moved around.  Shhiiiiiitttt, in this system with all the presnap movement, having them both would absolutely be a benefit.

Also, this is the same juju that was a great story riding his bike to his first training camp? How can you not root for the kid and he is still just a kid.  If JD can he should absolutely get him, need to spend the money somewhere, if we arent signing OL then WR is good to me.

11 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

We have so many holes, I don't think we can even invest a high resource into depth at the WR position. This is coming from someone who would love to get Moore as well. Do an NFL Draft simulator. We need two CBs, SS (interchangeable), SDE (270-80 lbs), DE (Situation pass rusher 240-50 lbs), WLB (unless you have faith in Davis). That's just defense alone. Hope JD makes more signings to free up an opportunity to target offense.

Im sure we're going to sign a corner. Bryce Huff and Zuninga could surprise as situational rushers Your right though, we need to fill a lot of positions. A trade down from #2, can go a long way in getting a Moore, fixing our o-line, and getting some linebacker help. Jabril Cox is someone to keep an eye on. We're not gonna fill every hole this year. With more picks, we can get a lot closer though.

8 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Juju is being touted as a versatile WR that can play on the outside.  But we didn't see that last year (His 2018 year he also led the league in slot targets with 92).

The original point was not to compare Juju and Crowder.  The point was that adding Juju to the offense will add questions about the playing time as the offense the Jets were planning on implementing limits the usage of 3 WRs as compared to other NFL offenses.  When the team is running 2 or less WRs more than 50% of the time, which 2 WRs of the 3/4 WRs will be on the field (Davis, Mims, Juju, Crowder, etc).

If we compare Juju to Crowder, Crowder was more efficient in the limited opportunities than Juju was last year.

image.thumb.png.82a5591361e5010731bf4e887e157a27.png

If we project out Crowder to the full 16 games and continued his target rate, he would have ended up with an extra 26 targets.  With those 26 targets and his catch%, he would be projected to have 900 yards.  With his TD rate, he ends up with 8 TDs.  He would have had 70 more yards, one less TD on 13 less targets.

2020 PFF grades: Crowder 75.3, Juju 68.2.

2020 AV: Crowder 5 in 12 games, Juju 6 in 16 games.

Crowder also had a higher YAC at 5.6 yards per reception vs Juju's YAC of 4.4 yards per reception.

This raises the question of which Juju would the Jets be getting?  The 2018 or 2020 version of Juju?

I definitelyy do not believe the crowder would be consistent nor better than JuJu. 

Sorry misunderstood orig, I do think JuJu would be the slot guy and get some work outside, but I think Mims and DAvis would be the outside guys and that JuJu would perform much better in the slot that crowder. I assume your stats are all correct but context is needed. Crowder plays and stats were forced fed whole JuJu was actually got open and got the ball over other players...crowder never had competition, there was no one else to give the ball too and often too many time he could not get open. JuJu got open all the time with designed coverage against him.

Either JuJu would be helpful here and i would like to get him in the scenario that he replaces Crowder.

2 minutes ago, genot said:

Im sure we're going to sign a corner. Bryce Huff and Zuninga could surprise in that role. Your right though, we need to fill a lot of positions. A trade down from #2, can go a long way in getting a Moore, fixing our o-line, and getting some linebacker help. Jabril Cox is someone to keep an eye on. We're not gonna fill every hole this year. With more picks, we can get a lot closer though.

Aren't we hoping for K’Waun Williams?

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I still don't get the logic here...your point is what?  It's better to not have Crowder than to have him?

Why didn't they Force Feed the other garbage on the roster?  He was force fed because he was the only talent they had....

I'm not saying don't add Juju I'm saying keep Crowder too.  

I just want to understand why anyone and I mean anyone would want to cut him?  What exactly are we going to spend that saved cap money on - that will be more beneficial to the Jets.  Like $7mm on a back-up LB from the Detroit Lions?   You're not resigning crowder, you're keeping him on the last year of deal.  

Sign Juju and keep Crowder, Crowder as a 4th option would make me a very happy man.  

It is better to not have crowder 100%, rather a guy that can do more wiht the targets that has some upside like JuJu or any other person.

He was the guy in the slot that they forcefed and we ahve seen what he can do, and that is not much wiht the balls he catches. 

I think money would be more well spent on someone with upside but if Crowder were to get pay cut, sure I am with you. but it would have to be significant. 

I just dont understand why would you want to keep him, it seems that it woudl be more valueable to give those snaps to someone like mims, rookie or FA to develop/chance at upside of player making a play that crowder is not capable of. 

For far too long our team has kept and paid for guys that have low ceiling over someone else that has upside. Crowder is the same guy every year and that is fine, but we dont HAVE to employ him. It is far better to get a better player on the field that him.

1 minute ago, genot said:

That's what i've heard. Guess you've heard that too. Maybe Saleh knows he'll sign here, and JD can work on guys who would consider signing with other teams.

He is going to be 30 soon though. That always scares me after watching how bad the wheels fell off of Revis. 

25 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Juju is being touted as a versatile WR that can play on the outside.  But we didn't see that last year (His 2018 year he also led the league in slot targets with 92).

The original point was not to compare Juju and Crowder.  The point was that adding Juju to the offense will add questions about the playing time as the offense the Jets were planning on implementing limits the usage of 3 WRs as compared to other NFL offenses.  When the team is running 2 or less WRs more than 50% of the time, which 2 WRs of the 3/4 WRs will be on the field (Davis, Mims, Juju, Crowder, etc).

If we compare Juju to Crowder, Crowder was more efficient in the limited opportunities than Juju was last year.

image.thumb.png.82a5591361e5010731bf4e887e157a27.png

If we project out Crowder to the full 16 games and continued his target rate, he would have ended up with an extra 26 targets.  With those 26 targets and his catch%, he would be projected to have 900 yards.  With his TD rate, he ends up with 8 TDs.  He would have had 70 more yards, one less TD on 13 less targets.

2020 PFF grades: Crowder 75.3, Juju 68.2.

2020 AV: Crowder 5 in 12 games, Juju 6 in 16 games.

Crowder also had a higher YAC at 5.6 yards per reception vs Juju's YAC of 4.4 yards per reception.

This raises the question of which Juju would the Jets be getting?  The 2018 or 2020 version of Juju?

Seeing that the NY JETS have no Antonio Brown ... i think the answer is quite clear.

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I mean, I think his career so far in the NFL has been pretty good. But we are all entitled to our own opinions on players.

Has it? He had 1 good season. The rest mediocre. I'm wouldnt be mad if we signed him he isn't a bad player but I also could careless if they dont. 

4 minutes ago, pointman said:

He is going to be 30 soon though. That always scares me after watching how bad the wheels fell off of Revis. 

We're for the.most part are going to have a young defense. If we can get a few years out of him. That would be good enough. He can be a good mentor to Hall. We'll see.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Has it? He had 1 good season. The rest mediocre. I'm wouldnt be mad if we signed him he isn't a bad player but I also could careless if they dont. 

I disagree slightly. He's had 1 big season. The rest varied from mediocre to above average. I think he's shown that if there is talent around him, he can feast as a secondary option in an offense. I also this he's shown the potential to be more. 

But I understand your point. He's not a necessity. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

You my friend are insane ... JuJu had one awesome year .. due to a one Mr Antonio Brown.

We're Jet fans Dunnie. We're all insane. JuJu is a good receiver. Nothing more. Nothing less. It would be nice to have him, if the price is right

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I disagree slightly. He's had 1 big season. The rest varied from mediocre to above average. I think he's shown that if there is talent around him, he can feast as a secondary option in an offense. I also this he's shown the potential to be more. 

But I understand your point. He's not a necessity. 

Great Post ScarletKnight!   I agree he really had only  one big year.  Now maybe he takes off but maybe he doesn’t.  Either way after the Davis signing and the fast that we have Crowder who has been a real good signing the last few years doesn’t make it a necessity.  Plus I still think we grab a WR in the draft 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Being polite wasn't required

I made a simple statement.  2 win teams dont have swagger.  No matter how much swagger a player may have.

Ju-Ju wasn't on the team last year and he might not ever be a NY Jet. 

He would have brought some identity, swagger and attitude here. 

He was part of a Pittsburgh Steeler team that won a lot of games. 

14 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

You my friend are insane ... JuJu had one awesome year .. due to a one Mr Antonio Brown.

I’ve never heard of WRs putting up all pro seasons because of the guy next to them, that’s a lazy narrative.

the year after that he was hurt, missed 4 games, and he didn’t have a QB to throw him the ball 

last year he had 100 catches, and to your point ,  don’t you think clay pool benefited from juju being on the field? 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Is Juju really an upgrade over Crowder?  I'm not so sure.  If so it's not significant.  Signing Juju and cutting Crowder is a JD kind of move.

He's not spending money but somehow convinces the fan base he did something special.  

New isn't necessarily better, it's just new.

It's exactly what he did with the OL last year - and all y'all couldn't stop saying how genius he was.  

Keep Crowder with Juju and then you're doing something.

Having one of Davis/Crowder/JJSS/Mims as a 4th receiver is a tremendous waste of money.  How often does WR4 get on the field in a 4 WR set?  When you look at personnel groupings for 2020, most teams are in a 4 WR set 5% of plays.  Paying a WR $8-10 million a season to play 3-5 plays a game and catch 10-15 passes a season is pure insanity .  

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Ju-Ju wasn't on the team last year and he might not ever be a NY Jet. 

He would have brought some identity, swagger and attitude here. 

He was part of a Pittsburgh Steeler team that won a lot of games. 

Win games.  F swagger

I could care less about swagger.  His swagger couldn't help win games down the last 6 games for Pitt last year.

9 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Having one of Davis/Crowder/JJSS/Mims as a 4th receiver is a tremendous waste of money.  How often does WR4 get on the field in a 4 WR set?  When you look at personnel groupings for 2020, most teams are in a 4 WR set 5% of plays.  Paying a WR $8-10 million a season to play 3-5 plays a game and catch 10-15 passes a season is pure insanity .  

Until Mims proves otherwise, he will be in that Gabriel Davis role, like the Bills had with Beasley and Brown after Diggs.

But with Cole, I don’t think we’d keep Crowder 

3 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

So afater signing this guy from the Jags signing Ju Ju is pretty much  amoot point while we already have Crowder around

Unless you think that JuJu is a younger and better player than Crowder.  Like we all should, he is both

Either way has nothing to do with Santonio IMO

• Upvote 2