Jets talking with JuJu

42 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

2020 regular season Pittsburgh 12-4 scored 416 points 

NY Jets     2-14 scored 243 points 

Ju-Ju Smith Schuster 9 TD's 

Entire NY Jets offense 16 TD's 

SWAGGER 

Shows you how much better Steelers D was! Double the amount of points scored by Jets but 6X the win total

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

One more time, s l o w l y, swagger didnt win their games, swagger didnt lose their games.  Swagger wouldnt have won games for the Jets.

Comparing JuJu's numbers to the Jets is pointless.  On the Jets last season he would have put up those numbers?  Are you really thinking that youre making a point here?

No point football message board discussion. 

I think you don't like Ju-Ju and you thought he wouldn't help or benefit the NY Jets and I vehemently disagree with you. 

Thats all. 

2021 NFL season let's see who has better numbers him or Cole/Crowder and whatever team he signs with see who has more wins. 

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

LOL

It’s almost like some of you guys want Maccagnan back in the drivers seat.

So far we’re 3 days into FA and Douglas has signed:

- an upper tier #2 wideout at 26 years old

- a 26 year old highly athletic edgerusher who instantly becomes the Jets best pure pressure applier since John Abraham

- a 26 year old former 1st round pick at LB who is a great fit for a strongside role in Saleh’s system

-  another prime aged wideout who excels in contested situations, can play on both the outside and the slot and is widely seen as an ascending player

- a 26 year old interior OL who was regarded as a stud in college and despite not living up to his potential in the pros, has still started nearly 60 games and is no worse than the Alex Lewis’ or Greg Van Roten’s of the league

- A special teams demon who should be an ace gunner

And we still have another $30 mill in available cap space give or take, a stockpile of draft picks, and the chance to draft a potential franchise QB at #2 overall.

The Jets are in a lot better position than many fans realize.

To be fair, one can only judge a team by how they are improving relative to their competition. Are we really going to be competitive with any of the other teams in our division if we field the team as constituted today? The Jets are heading in the right direction perhaps, but so slowly that they are actually losing ground. Pats, Bills, Dolphins are all clearly better teams.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I think you don't like Ju-Ju and you thought he wouldn't help or benefit the NY Jets and I vehemently disagree with you. 

Thats all. 

Never did I say anything close to this.  In fact I've been saying sign him.

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

LOL

- a 26 year old highly athletic edgerusher who instantly becomes the Jets best pure pressure applier since John Abraham

- a 26 year old former 1st round pick at LB who is a great fit for a strongside role in Saleh’s system

-  another prime aged wideout who excels in contested situations, can play on both the outside and the slot and is widely seen as an ascending player

- a 26 year old interior OL who was regarded as a stud in college and despite not living up to his potential in the pros, has still started nearly 60 games and is no worse than the Alex Lewis’ or Greg Van Roten’s of the league

And we still have another $30 mill in available cap space give or take, a stockpile of draft picks, and the chance to draft a potential franchise QB at #2 overall.

Corey Davis is a receiver who was 10th on the list of available receivers in 2021 free agency. He benefitted from the 1# run game in the NFL, with stacked boxes and still hasn’t cracked a 1000 yards He’s 26 and the Titans let him walk.

Carl Lawson had potential, but he’s has  20 sacks in 4 years, suffer an ACL in 2018 and was used as a situational pass rusher. He isn’t John Abraham, a man that finished in the NFL with 133.5 sacks If he’s as good as Shaun Big Kat Ellis I will be ecstatic. 

Dan Feeney

To say Feeney was ineffective in 2020 would be an understatement. He allowed 24 hurries and 33 pressures this past season – the most by any center in the NFL, according to Warren Sharp. Feeney gave up four sacks and committed two penalties, as well. To put into perspective how bad Feeney was last year, his 48.2 Pro Football Focus grade ranked 12 spots worse than the Jets’ Connor McGovern and was second-last among centers.. enough said.

Justin Hardee is by all account a very good special teams gunner and not a good Corner back.

They then signed a Jag receiver rather than signing Ju Ju.

This off season hadn’t moved the needle at all. All of these players aren’t anything that any NFL team doesn’t  have already. I didn’t expect Douglas to sign every top free agent but holy fook he’s been dipping into the bargain bucket.

Don't be shocked when these Jags don’t turn out to be anything but Jags.

I just hope this guy can Draft because he sure as sh*t has no idea about Free agency.

C8295089-D5F0-4D97-9FBD-73EB28BFDBA4.png

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2
  • Post of the Week 2

6 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Corey Davis is a receiver who was 10th on the list of available receivers in 2021 free agency. He benefitted from the 1# run game in the NFL, with stacked boxes and still hasn’t cracked a 1000 yards He’s 26 and the Titans let him walk.

Carl Lawson had potential, but he’s has  20 sacks in 4 years, suffer an ACL in 2018 and was used as a situational pass rusher. He isn’t John Abraham, a man that finished in the NFL with 133.5 sacks If he’s as good as Shaun Big Kat Ellis I will be ecstatic. 

Dan Feeney

To say Feeney was ineffective in 2020 would be an understatement. He allowed 24 hurries and 33 pressures this past season – the most by any center in the NFL, according to Warren Sharp. Feeney gave up four sacks and committed two penalties, as well. To put into perspective how bad Feeney was last year, his 48.2 Pro Football Focus grade ranked 12 spots worse than the Jets’ Connor McGovern and was second-last among centers.. enough said.

Justin Hardee is by all account a very good special teams gunner and not a good Corner back.

This off season hadn’t moved the needle at all. All of these players aren’t anything that any NFL team doesn’t  have already. I didn’t expect Douglas to sign every top free agent but holy fook he’s been dipping into the bargain bucket.

I just hope this guy can Draft because he sure as sh*t has no idea about Free agency.

You’re using a fantasy football free agent list to establish a point on Corey Davis. We’re not building a fantasy football team here, we’re building an actual football team. A FFtoday list isn’t going to take into account scheme fit and what that player role will be. 

Your points on Feeney though - valid as heck. It worries me slightly that JD almost prioritizes versatility of multiple positions over metrics when it comes to IOL. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, BoogSportsGuy said:

You’re using a fantasy football free agent list to establish a point on Corey Davis. We’re not building a fantasy football team here, we’re building an actual football team. A FFtoday list isn’t going to take into account scheme fit and what that player role will be. 

Your points on Feeney though - valid as heck. It worries me slightly that JD almost prioritizes versatility of multiple positions over metrics when it comes to IOL. 

He’s a terrible signing, and Davis is hopefully an ok #2nd receiver, but overall I’m not impressed at all with what he’s signed. The Feeney move is a head scratcher. He’s fooking awful and will get your QB killed.

• Upvote 1

Pittsburgh threw the ball more than any team in the league...656 times. That’s 35% more than the Titans who threw the ball 485 times. Giving the chance to play on the outside, Juju’s production slipped. It’s easier to play in the slot where corners can’t use the boundary to their favor.

Juju is a nice player and I would love to have him on our team. But he’s not better than Corey Davis. Just watch them play. Juju gets a lot of dumb offs over the middle. That’s even reflected in his stats where he averaged just 8.6 yards per reception.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Untouchable said:

LOL

I just fail to understand why this guy is hanging onto so much cap space. The Jets went 2-14 last year and clearly have the worst roster in their division. I understood rolling over cap space last year (made sense with the pandemic/Gase), but why this year? The cap is going up, teams are going to be flush with money, and the Jets have nobody they need to pay big dollars to in the immediate future. 

I was not an advocate of signing Thuney who I think fans completely overrate, but the fact that the Jets actually managed to downgrade at oline in free agency (Feeney vs Eflin) is completely unacceptable. Also why could he not of added a Gerald Everett or Jared Cook to the mix to compete with Herndon? Who is playing CB?

JD is building a culture in which losing is not only accepted it is EXPECTED. 

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Who are the back up WR's, whatever that actually means, that we've signed? 

Who were the great starters we passed on? 

All I'm talking about is keeping Crowder if you got Juju...that's what this was about.

People here are telling me it would be a waste of money to keep Crowder, if we signed Juju.  I will continue to say that is ludicrous - we shouldn't be looking to save money on good players but rather finding ways to spend the money on good players.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

All I'm talking about is keeping Crowder if you got Juju...that's what this was about.

People here are telling me it would be a waste of money to keep Crowder, if we signed Juju.  I will continue to say that is ludicrous - we shouldn't be looking to save money on good players but rather finding ways to spend the money on good players.

Is there enough money for another CB, JuJu, all the draft picks getting paid, AND Crowder? 

There probably is, but I think that kind of thinking is what informs the "drop Crowder, sign JuJu", where JuJu is seen as better (how much opinion varies) and Jets will get the better WR while having money left over for a CB and other FA positional need not yet addressed, and then the projection of what the draft picks will cost. 

I'd say get both as well. Crowder expires after the upcoming season anyway, and I've seen too many seasons where the Jets have one WR hurt, then another and sometime then another. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Dan Feeney

That's funny because I seen free agent rankings with Davis higher than JuJu. Also one could say being in a run first offense hurt him. 

Jets needed a pass rusher and got one in lawson. 

Stop crying like a baby back bitch

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GreekJet said:

I just fail to understand why this guy is hanging onto so much cap space. The Jets went 2-14 last year and clearly have the worst roster in their division. I understood rolling over cap space last year (made sense with the pandemic/Gase), but why this year? The cap is going up, teams are going to be flush with money, and the Jets have nobody they need to pay big dollars to in the immediate future. 

I was not an advocate of signing Thuney who I think fans completely overrate, but the fact that the Jets actually managed to downgrade at oline in free agency (Feeney vs Eflin) is completely unacceptable. Also why could he not of added a Gerald Everett or Jared Cook to the mix to compete with Herndon? Who is playing CB?

Over Reaction Friday is in full swing I see.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I want to keep Crowder if they signed JuJu.  I dont think the idea is to save money, its that some feel its redundant and that money can be used somewhere else.  Somewhere of greater need.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Untouchable said:

LOL

I appreciate your optimism and I understand the work isnt done but the only dudes that remotely even move the needle are Davis and Lawson and both are career underperformers.  Lawson has ridiculously low production for his athletic profile, he's a one trick pony who doesnt actually get to the QB and he has an injury history.   Davis has miserable production for a top WR drafted in the top 5.  As a comparison; JuJu went in the same draft and has 100 more receptions, 1000 more yards and 15 more TDs!  lol  But Big Ben, right?!  Cool cool, Cooper Kupp, same draft, 80 more receptions, 1000 more yards, 13 more TD's.   Both dudes are higher end JAGS, granted with my some potential we havent seen but that's pure hope. 

The rest of these dudes do absolutely nothing for this team.  They're 1 year deal place holders who arent very good, dont move the needle you're looking to replace next year, so you're not actually building anything.  And I'm sorry, you can find a gunner the 7th round.  I mean, why resign guys like Jeff Smith and Vyncent Smith?  

Whatever, there is still more FA and a draft but none of these signings are moving the needle in the win/loss column.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Hanging onto cap space?  

Losing is expected as well as accepted?

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I appreciate your optimism and I understand the work isnt done but the only dudes that remotely even move the needle are Davis and Lawson and both are career underperformers.  Lawson has ridiculously low production for his athletic profile, he's a one trick pony who doesnt actually get to the QB and he has an injury history.   Davis has miserable production for a top WR drafted in the top 5.  As a comparison; JuJu went in the same draft and has 100 more receptions, 1000 more yards and 15 more TDs!  lol  But Big Ben, right?!  Cool cool, Cooper Kupp, same draft, 80 more receptions, 1000 more yards, 13 more TD's.   Both dudes are higher end JAGS, granted with my some potential we havent seen but that's pure hope. 

The rest of these dudes do absolutely nothing for this team.  They're 1 year deal place holders who arent very good, dont move the needle you're looking to replace next year, so you're not actually building anything.  And I'm sorry, you can find a gunner the 7th round.  I mean, why resign guys like Jeff Smith and Vyncent Smith?  

Whatever, there is still more FA and a draft but none of these signings are moving the needle in the win/loss column.  

Jets needed a pass rusher and got one. What's the issue? Who should they have signed to rush the passer? 

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

All that typing to come up with this conclusion?  

If you dont think the WR unit is better, the STs unit is better and the pass rush look better and that doesnt contribute to the win/loss column that pretty scary.  

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I want to keep Crowder if they signed JuJu.  I dont think the idea is to save money, its that some feel its redundant and that money can be used somewhere else.  Somewhere of greater need.  

I do get it...

but what I'm getting at is where the player of Crowders talent that is of greater need?  

I get it, but Crowder is essentially on a one year deal and we're bringing in a rookie QB - if you sign Juju, having another high quality option makes more sense than any other position on the field.  Depth at WR with a rookie QB is the right way to play this.

• Upvote 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I do get it...

but what I'm getting at is where the player of Crowders talent that is of greater need?  

I get it, but Crowder is essentially on a one year deal and we're bringing in a rookie QB - if you sign Juju, having another high quality option makes more sense than any other position on the field.  Depth at WR with a rookie QB is the right way to play this.

I dont think youre getting it in that Crowder and JuJu would play the same position, JuJu just doing a better job of it.  You're playing the WCO, mostly 2 WR sets and you put Mims, Davis and JuJu out there where's Crowder?  I get the need for depth but this one is an extreme luxury that wont happen if the money can be used more efficiently somewhere else.

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Davis definitely hasn’t lived up to his draft status but I still think it’s safe to say that he’s an upper tier #2 who is just hitting his prime.

On an offense that saw guys like Chris Hogan, Braxton Berrios and Jeff Smith take plenty of meaningful snaps last year...I’ll take all of the quality players I can get at WR, even if they aren’t true #1’s.

I don’t think that these signings alone make us some kind of contender, but couple them with Wilson/Fields at #2 and further improve the OL, offensive skill positions and CB depth through the draft...and you could be laying down a nice, solid foundation for the coming years.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I dont think youre getting it in that Crowder and JuJu would play the same position, JuJu just doing a better job of it.  You're playing the WCO, mostly 2 WR sets and you put Mims, Davis and JuJu out there where's Crowder?  I get the need for depth but this one is an extreme luxury that wont happen if the money can be used more efficiently somewhere else.

Nah.  You can get them on the field at the same time.  4 WR sets are at thing.  Coaches adapt to their talent - we really have no TE we can trust right now.

Moreover, Juju is entirely capable of playing on the outside as well as Crowder as he had to out of necessity.  We really don't know what Mims is yet either.  Right now, I think he's best as a deep threat until his route running gets less stiff.

We'll simply have to agree to disagree.  

I want more talent you seemingly want to dump one of the only 3 good players we have.  It would be absurd to sign Juju and then cut Crowder.  Just keep Crowder then and use the Juju money to go sign whatever player is so much more vital than having another quality receiver.

9 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Davis definitely hasn’t lived up to his draft status but I still think it’s safe to say that he’s an upper tier #2 who is just hitting his prime.

On an offense that saw guys like Chris Hogan, Braxton Berrios and Jeff Smith take plenty of meaningful snaps last year...I’ll take all of the quality players I can get at WR, even if they aren’t true #1’s.

I don’t think that these signings alone make us some kind of contender, but couple them with Wilson/Fields at #2 and further improve the OL, offensive skill positions and CB depth through the draft...and you could be laying down a nice, solid foundation for the coming years.

The only #1 was Golladay and he has both injury and personality issues.  Teams are afraid of him because of both.  JuJu's a slot WR, a good one but wont make as big a difference as another big outside WR in this offense

Comparing Davis' numbers to a pro bowl WR, who plays on a run first offense doesnt say much

Talking production, more specifically sacks only by Lawson is comical in that youre ignoring the number of hits and the fact that its much harder to compile high sack totals when you're playing on a team thats consistently trailing in games.  Hard to get sacks when the opposition has stopped passing and is running out the clock for a half.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nah.  You can get them on the field at the same time.  4 WR sets are at thing.  Coaches adapt to their talent - we really have no TE we can trust right now.

Moreover, Juju is entirely capable of playing on the outside as well as Crowder as he had to out of necessity.  We really don't know what Mims is yet either.  Right now, I think he's best as a deep threat until his route running gets less stiff.

We'll simply have to agree to disagree.  

I want more talent you seemingly want to dump one of the only 3 good players we have.  It would be absurd to sign Juju and then cut Crowder.  Just keep Crowder then and use the Juju money to go sign whatever player is so much more vital than having another quality receiver.

OK, you obviously dont get the WCO.  Youre not running a lot of 4 WR sets in this offense. 

JuJu isnt getting paid to play the outside because he wont do it as well as Davis.  Theyre two different players.  You can say he can but thats not his strength.  Mims isnt going anywhere so hes going to play. 

Signing another slot receiver just because doesnt make sense when we have other holes to fill.  Youre going to be alone with the idea that JuJu and Crowder make sense now

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

OK, you obviously dont get the WCO.  Youre not running a lot of 4 WR sets in this offense. 

JuJu isnt getting paid to play the outside because he wont do it as well as Davis.  Theyre two different players.  You can say he can but thats not his strength.  Mims isnt going anywhere so hes going to play. 

Signing another slot receiver just because doesnt make sense when we have other holes to fill.  Youre going to be alone with the idea that JuJu and Crowder make sense now

I'd cut Crowder, Ju Ju is 3 or 4 years younger use the money to sign him.

• Upvote 1