Jets talking with JuJu

13 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Would prefer Samuel to fill that Deebo role in our offense but at this point I’ll take JuJu hopefully he stops acting like a Toys R Us kid though ??‍♂️

That was my preferred option as well but Samuel signed with Washington 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Totally agree. Sam seems to have some chemistry with Crowder. As far as JuJu I'm thinking he would want too much $$, especially as he's a #2 WR. 

The last thing he should be doing is making such major moves (or non-moves) because of Darnold's comfort. He should do this if he thinks it'll improve things no matter who's the QB, it frees up an extra high pick (or more, since WRs bust a lot), and doesn't hamper his ability to fill out the rest of the team cap-wise.

Davis-Mims-Juju is plenty good of a trio, and while it's not the best group of all time or anything, it's more than any decent QB should require. Needs a TE more than a Crowder-to-Juju upgrade imo, but this wouldn't preclude him from making that upgrade as well. 

Anyway...

tenor.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, RogerVick1980 said:

Don’t mind it he’s still young and a good player he’s just not as good as people thought he was after his first few years..

The argument would be though would you rather pay JuJu or get a WR in the draft for much cheaper at 23 or 34?

I would rather pay JuJu, taking the known quantity at the position vs a rookie who has to learn. Save 23 for OL or CB

• Upvote 1

JuJu like Beckham has a huge social media following and signed with Roc Nations marketing agency. I think he would be smart to work things out financially with the Jets or Giants as he'll make the money back off the field with no problem. Probably instead of asking for $16 mil and two guarenteed years, he gets $14 mil with 3 guarenteed years. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

With all four of them it's still a pretty average unit - but it is a legitimate one though.  We haven't had an NFL caliber WR core in so long that we may forget what one looks like.

I think it’s actually one of the better units in the league. Definitely above average? Who would have a better receiving corps than Davis, JuJu, Crowder, Mims. Obviously Tampa, Atlanta. Not many others better than that tho

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Icer said:

Sounds like we are keeping Darnold if we are bringing his old buddy in to replace Crowder. Lets hope for the best, but I hope we have a capable back up for his annual injury

I don’t think this had an impact on the QB decision.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

Why are so many of you eager to bounce Crowder?  He is a good football player. 

I think it’s the cap space gained by his release. We’d free up 10Mil and likely prorate or structure the JuJu deal in a ways whic my it gives us more flexibility for players who can offer depth at our weaker positions. Another option is we could deal crowder for a 5th and use that as ammo to move up. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Icer said:

Sounds like we are keeping Darnold if we are bringing his old buddy in to replace Crowder. Lets hope for the best, but I hope we have a capable back up for his annual injury

I dont think this is necessarily true, but if JD insists on keeping Sam and trading the #2 pick, I won't be too happy but in JD I trust, and they've gotta give Sam as much help as possible. Also if there's any chance of trading for Watson, this kind of move may convince him to waive his NTC for the Jets

I'd not be shocked if Joe Douglas and Mike LaFleur decide to hold onto Sam Darnold and hedge their bets by bringing in a veteran to compete for the starting job. An example would be when the Titans in  2019 brought in Ryan Tannehill to compete with Marcus Mariota, and we all know how that turned out. I've got this suspicion Joe Douglas is eyeing Mitchell Trubisky as the "veteran" quarterback to bring in. Signing Mitchell Trubisky (2nd overall pick) would make it three players from the 1st round of the 2017 NFL Draft  Joe Douglas will have signed in free agency this off-season, with the first two being Jarrad Davis (21st pick) and Corey Davis (5th overall pick) which was right before Jamal Adams (6th pick).

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

1) Then put him on the outside (keep Crowder in the slot)

2) Then keep him this year

There is no reason not to sign Juju and keep Crowder.

Agreed. Especially since we're not up against the cap.

Having C. Davis, Mims, JuJu & Crowder seems like an embarrassment of riches.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cp561 said:

I dont think this is necessarily true, but if JD insists on keeping Sam and trading the #2 pick, I won't be too happy but in JD I trust, and they've gotta give Sam as much help as possible. Also if there's any chance of trading for Watson, this kind of move may convince him to waive his NTC for the Jets

Who's blocking?  Sam's only meeting with a quick release:

Tylenol(R) Rapid Release Gelcaps Extra Strength, 50 ct ...

and that time he got mono..........................................................................................................

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'd not be shocked if Joe Douglas and Mike LaFleur decide to hold onto Sam Darnold and hedge their bets by bringing in a veteran to compete for the starting job. An example would be when the Titans in  2019 brought in Ryan Tannehill to compete with Marcus Mariota, and we all know how that turned out. I've got this suspicion Joe Douglas is eyeing Mitchell Trubisky as the "veteran" quarterback to bring in. Signing Mitchell Trubisky (2nd overall pick) would make it three players from the 1st round of the 2017 NFL Draft  Joe Douglas will have signed in free agency this off-season, with the first two being Jarrad Davis (21st pick) and Corey Davis (5th overall pick) which was right before Jamal Adams (6th pick).

All the veteran QBs are off the market 

2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Why are so many of you eager to bounce Crowder?  He is a good football player. 

I'm not at all eager, and thought the calls/predictions for him to simply get cut for cap reasons (without first replacing him) were nuts. But JJSS is an obvious upgrade: Crowder is very good; JJSS is special, even if he is a douche. 

Also Crowder is a UFA after the season, and tbh should be taking a $3MM pay cut (if he was making $6-7MM we could probably get a mid-round pick for him, even with only 1 year left on his deal).

He's not put up $10MM/yr numbers, and it's unknown how receptive he'll be to taking a cut. The availability-uncertainty due to injury has been part of the package with him, and a healthy (and extra year-experienced) Mims + Corey Davis makes it unlikely his numbers are going to see a big uptick even if he does play 16 games.

There's also another potential benefit which is locking in JJSS this year may come at a discount because of the dropped cap. 

My main nagging concern is just history: Pittsburgh rarely lets go of a WR and ends up with pie on their face for doing it, and there's some decent history of their WRs not being so stellar elsewhere. 

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I like Crowder, one of our few good football players.

I like juju better, younger accomplished more stat wise, more physical.

Stands up for team mates.

Crowder's good but IMHO, Ju Ju Smith-Schuster is a star

• Upvote 1