Jets talking with JuJu

2 minutes ago, Cp561 said:

I didnt watch much of Juju this season, but to anyone who did, why did he average such a low YPC? 97 catches is amazing but just over 800 yards? Was it due to Big Bens lack of an arm anymore, or is it also an indictment on Juju? 

He got tired after the catch and laid down to rest..

36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

My understand is not in this Shanahan system.  Those are the types of guys they want. 

There is no reasonable reason not to keep both of them.  

I don’t think Joe Douglas would use that much money at the WR position, but who knows.

That would be quite the group with Juju, Crowder, Mims, and Davis.

50 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Agreed. Especially since we're not up against the cap.

Having C. Davis, Mims, JuJu & Crowder seems like an embarrassment of riches.

It would give Darnold absolutely NO EXCUSE about not having weaponz any more.  So tired of that. Maybe this arsenal of WRs+ a new TE can make Darnold look decent.  Remember, the goal in keeping Darnold here is to go from worst starting QB in the NFL to just about acceptable but better than career backup level.  Not the kind of ceiling I want for this franchise.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

Probably.  Crowder is one of my favorite players we have.  If that does happen I’m hoping we trade him instead of just releasing him and get something for him 

I don’t think they’d cut Crowder. Explore trades? Sure. But he’s in the last year of his current deal and still has value. If they can’t get anything decent back, they should just hold onto him and have their best WR corps in years to help LeFleur and whoever his QB is to get off to a good start. It’s not like they’re hurting for cap space. We’ve got folks here crying their eyes out over all the money they haven’t spent. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

I don’t think Joe Douglas would use that much money at the WR position, but who knows.

That would be quite the group with Juju, Crowder, Mims, and Davis.

What exactly would he use that much money for?  We are now far and away the team with the most cap space.  Where's all this money going?

Is he going to keep paying other teams back-ups $7mm a year on one year deals?  That seems to be his speciality.

You have to spend the money - we know he didn't want to spend big on a guard, didn't want to bring in a center and move his to guard.  The offense was the worst in the NFL and as of right now, we've added a WR..  That's it..nothing more.  So now we're the worst offense plus a #2 WR. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Butterfield said:

It seemed like he was destined to become a jet, if his price just came down a bit.  I bet it has, and that he will he a jet fairly soon.

Another sign, in a growing list of them, that Darnold will be back.

I hope they still keep Crowder.  They need to accumulate talent.  

What sign is that?

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

The 2 seasons that he played in all 16 games 2020 and 2018 he absolutely put up star numbers

2018: 111 catches for 1426 Yds 7 TDs and 68 FD's

2020: 97 Catches 831 yds and 9 TD's 

he's also had 2 97 yard TD's in his 4 years in the NFL

so this meant it probably wont work out hahahahaha

30 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Ah, but you see, Sam Darnold is the veteran guy competing for the job when we draft Zach Wilson.

SAR I

In my scenario Sam Darnold is the incumbent quarterback. Trubisky would be the quarterback (like Tannehill) brought in to hedge their bets with. I'm not saying this happens, but rather this is a pathway they might be considering. One which gives Joe Douglas more options with the 2nd overall pick. Douglas could get a huge haul trading down from the 2nd overall pick, or he could just stay right there and select a non-quarterback positions he has rated very high on his draft board. 

4 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Now where's the ones of him getting sh*t on last yr because he wants to dance on logos and make tiktoks? 

Who cares. That hit on Vontaze Burfict was awesome lol. 

In a league where players are getting arrested for domestic assault, etc, JuJu's love of social media to play video games/dance on TikTok is hardly the end of the world in my opinion. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

12 minutes ago, slats said:

I don’t think they’d cut Crowder. Explore trades? Sure. But he’s in the last year of his current deal and still has value. If they can’t get anything decent back, they should just hold onto him and have their best WR corps in years to help LeFleur and whoever his QB is to get off to a good start. It’s not like they’re hurting for cap space. We’ve got folks here crying their eyes out over all the money they haven’t spent. 

Agreed 

17 minutes ago, Dcat said:

It would give Darnold absolutely NO EXCUSE about not having weaponz any more.  So tired of that. Maybe this arsenal of WRs+ a new TE can make Darnold look decent.  Remember, the goal in keeping Darnold here is to go from worst starting QB in the NFL to just about acceptable but better than career backup level.  Not the kind of ceiling I want for this franchise.  

the ONLY way I'd be ok with keeping Sammy D is if we sign juju, draft pitts and a few olineman....anyone can perform with that much talent in this system. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

JuJu Smith-Schuster is vastly underrated on this board.  He's a very versatile player with high upside.  He's very young with his best years likely ahead of him.

Huge demerit that his game took a big dive when the Steelers got rid of AB. He's not better than Claypool and Diontae Johnson is a far more dangerous weapon. Hard pass.

• Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I would much rather flip Crowder for JuJu and then target some of the faster YAC receivers in the draft.  Honestly if you have Davis, Mims, JuJu  and maybe add Rondale Moore, that’s a nice bump in talent at the receiver position. 

Those lamenting the loss of Crowder are the same people who were probably lamenting the loss of Jeremy Kerley .   Those guys were overvalued because of the garbage that was playing around them.  

This is the exact plan I'd hope the Jets would execute if they sign JuJu.  Save Crowder's 10 million and draft a young replacement that could be groomed into the slot and add explosiveness to the offense.

• Upvote 3

If we get Juju, we’d have one hell of a tough WR group. Mims, Juju, and Davis are tough as nails.

Id sign Juju for 3yrs $39 M

Trade Crowder (won’t be here long-term)

Draft a WR in the 3rd

Then let the two Smiths and Berrios battle it out for the last two spots.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Is Juju really an upgrade over Crowder?  I'm not so sure.  If so it's not significant.  Signing Juju and cutting Crowder is a JD kind of move.

He's not spending money but somehow convinces the fan base he did something special.  

New isn't necessarily better, it's just new.

It's exactly what he did with the OL last year - and all y'all couldn't stop saying how genius he was.  

Keep Crowder with Juju and then you're doing something.

Crowders inky signed for one more year and is 4 years older

Lock up a younger more versatile guy who is in the same tier and check the need off the list for future years

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

This is the exact plan I'd hope the Jets would execute if they sign JuJu.  Save Crowder's 10 million and draft a young replacement that could be groomed into the slot and add explosiveness to the offense.

Agreed.  JuJu is a better fit than Crowder, you’d basically be swapping out those salaries, adding a couple million more for JuJu.  Get Moore who could give you the explosiveness missing in that group.  All of a sudden you have a competent group of receivers for whoever the QB will be.  You also have depth for the first time in like 20 years, so if there is an injury you aren’t  holding auditions on Tuesday afternoons for every on the street out of work WR anymore.  

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Crowders inky signed for one more year and is 4 years older

Lock up a younger more versatile guy who is in the same tier and check the need off the list for future years

Fair enough, but you're not really bettering the team.  

It would still be a solid move due to the reasons you mentioned but we haven't made the team better for the 2021 season.

• Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, Cp561 said:

I didnt watch much of Juju this season, but to anyone who did, why did he average such a low YPC? 97 catches is amazing but just over 800 yards? Was it due to Big Bens lack of an arm anymore, or is it also an indictment on Juju? 

He shared the ball with Johnson, Washington and Claypool. 

Watch film you put the all in his hands he makes things happened and gets in the EZ.