Jump to content

Jets talking with JuJu


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Trubisky is off the market?

I mean can you imagine how this fan base would react if we trot out Sam and Trubisky as our QBs next year?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really hope not.  Crowder is very good - it would be a negligible upgrade and less exciting if they did.

LOL It’s almost like some of you guys want Maccagnan back in the drivers seat. So far we’re 3 days into FA and Douglas has signed: - an upper tier #2 wideout at 26 years old - a 26

If the Jets sign JuJu, that would be a very good indication the Jets are actually finally serious about building an offense and trying to win Football games.  Therefore, I will be shocked if this

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Coffee Is Great said:

Is Juju even that big of an upgrade over Crowder? He's a few years younger and more durable. Maybe we want bigger WR. Davis, Juju, and Mims gives us three guys 210+ and 6'1+.

2020 JuJu looks alot like 2019 Crowder tbqh.

Receiving & Rushing

  Games Receiving Rushing Total Yds      
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD 1D Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt Rush Yds TD 1D Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV
Career       58 46 443 308 3726 12.1 26 175 97 5.3 64.2 69.5% 8.4 1 13 0 1 13 13.0 0.2 0.0 309 12.1 3739 26 5 31
2017 21 PIT wr 19 14 7 79 58 917 15.8 7 37 97 4.1 65.5 73.4% 11.6                 58 15.8 917 7 0 10
2018* 22 PIT WR 19 16 13 166 111 1426 12.8 7 67 97 6.9 89.1 66.9% 8.6 1 13 0 1 13 13.0 0.8 0.1 112 12.8 1439 7 1 11
2019 23 PIT WR 19 12 12 70 42 552 13.1 3 23 76 3.5 46.0 60.0% 7.9                 42 13.1 552 3 1 4
2020 24 PIT WR 19 16 14 128 97 831 8.6 9 48 31 6.1 51.9 75.8% 6.5                 97 8.6 831 9 3 6
 

Receiving & Rushing

  Games Receiving Rushing Total Yds      
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD 1D Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt Rush Yds TD 1D Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV
Career       84 47 540 358 4160 11.6 26 194 79 4.3 49.5 66.3% 7.7 17 82 0 4 25 4.8 1.0 0.2 375 11.3 4242 26 12 32
                                                             
                                                             
2015 22 WAS wr 80 16 6 78 59 604 10.2 2 34 44 3.7 37.8 75.6% 7.7 2 2 0 0 2 1.0 0.1 0.1 61 9.9 606 2 4 5
2016 23 WAS wr 80 16 9 99 67 847 12.6 7 34 55 4.2 52.9 67.7% 8.6 2 -2 0 1 7 -1.0 -0.1 0.1 69 12.2 845 7 2 8
2017 24 WAS WR 80 15 6 103 66 789 12.0 3 38 41 4.4 52.6 64.1% 7.7 7 34 0 1 11 4.9 2.3 0.5 73 11.3 823 3 6 6
2018 25 WAS WR 80 9 7 49 29 388 13.4 2 15 79 3.2 43.1 59.2% 7.9 4 30 0 1 25 7.5 3.3 0.4 33 12.7 418 2 0 3
2019 26 NYJ WR 82 16 12 122 78 833 10.7 6 41 41 4.9 52.1 63.9% 6.8 1 4 0 0 4 4.0 0.3 0.1 79 10.6 837 6 0 5
2020 27 NYJ wr 82 12 7 89 59 699 11.8 6 32 69 4.9 58.3 66.3% 7.9 1 14 0 1 14 14.0 1.2 0.1 60 11.9 713 6 0 5
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No "huge haul" is worth finding a franchise quarterback.

Sam Darnold might be a franchise quarterback.  We haven't seen him in a Shanahan offense and he sounds perfectly suited for it.

Zach Wilson might be a franchise quarterback.  We haven't seen him in the NFL at all.

So let's have our cake and eat it too.  Let's keep the best available veteran quarterback and the best available NCAA quarterback and pick the one we like best at the end of training camp or a year from now.

SAR I and @Charlie Brown

By Jove! I think he's got it!!! 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites

Juju's Next Gen stats:

image.png.e45267b4bc2654719f10b38a7db8def0.png

It really depends on the Juju the Jets would be getting.  Last year he spent 82% of his snaps in the slot.  This may be why his catch rate increased but his YAC and TAY decreased.  The Steelers had Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool, both were more productive than Juju in lesser playing time.  Juju played in 84% of snaps and accumulated 831 yards on 128 targets while Johnson (923 yards, 7 TDs) and Claypool (873 yards, 9 TDs) were in the 65% snap range with both putting up better numbers.  The Steelers felt that both Johnson and Claypool were better on the outside versus Juju.

The other thing to look at is the number of personnel packages LaFleur will run.  Shannahan's 49ers offense ran more 2 WR sets (4th in the league, one spot behind GB) and the 3rd fewest 3 WR sets.  Would Juju get the volume he needs to get back to 2018 numbers or is his 2020 numbers his ceiling in the Jets' offense?  Would his presence limit Mims' playing time?

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’ve seen teams run groups of #2’s and it worked really well.

Agreed.  I think too many fans get too hung up on #1 receiver.  If you have multiple number receivers that’s pretty good.  Plus we have a ton of picks the next two years.  I’m pretty confident we will draft another big WR

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  JuJu is a better fit than Crowder, you’d basically be swapping out those salaries, adding a couple million more for JuJu.  Get Moore who could give you the explosiveness missing in that group.  All of a sudden you have a competent group of receivers for whoever the QB will be.  You also have depth for the first time in like 20 years, so if there is an injury you aren’t  holding auditions on Tuesday afternoons for every on the street out of work WR anymore.  

It was comical last year the tryouts we were having and the guys we trotted out there to start! Chris Hogans, Berrios, Cager, Jeff Smith, Demarious Thomas!

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tooooon said:

What are the “concerning signs” about Mims?

Mims looked stiff.  I didn't see explosion and shake like with Claypool and others from his class.  Low production when he played.  Why did Gase and Sam hide Mims instead of feeding him?  Mims was rarely targeted and mostly invisible.

Lots of excuses - Bad coach, bad QB, bad hammys, bad game scripts.

Too early to call him meh, but all that is concerning.  I hope he get featured and breaks out next year.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dcJet said:

Mims looked stiff.  I didn't see explosion and shake like with Claypool and others from his class.  Low production when he played.  Why did Gase and Sam hide Mims instead of feeding him?  Mims was rarely targeted and mostly invisible.

Lots of excuses - Bad coach, bad QB, bad hammys, bad game scripts.

Too early to call him meh, but all that is concerning.  I hope he get featured and breaks out next year.

No. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

It was comical last year the tryouts we we having and the guys we trotted out there to start! Chris Hogans, Berrios, Cager, Jeff Smith, Demarious Thomas!

Agreed.  It wasn’t a surprise that the team was as bad as it was.  Just an abysmal roster.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

I would much rather flip Crowder for JuJu and then target some of the faster YAC receivers in the draft.  Honestly if you have Davis, Mims, JuJu  and maybe add Rondale Moore, that’s a nice bump in talent at the receiver position. 
 

Those lamenting the loss of Crowder are the same people who were probably lamenting the loss of Jeremy Kerley .   Those guys were overvalued because of the garbage that was playing around them.  

Mims, Davis, Juju and Moore would give us a really good WR group and we’d be set at WR for at least the next 3 years.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

But you would rather have this guy below.

You're the same guy who wanted to keep Gase, so I'll just take it with a grain of salt. 

I would rather have the guy who is 23 years old and has 3 years of NFL experience in New York under his belt.

Yes, I'm the first fan on a message board to guess wrong on a head coach.  Please post your prediction resume, I'm sure its perfect.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paradis said:

So y’all are actually arguing for Crowder over Juju on this team? 
 

 

28B95B36-77E5-4101-AE9C-FFEDBE9940B2.jpeg

I don’t get it, especially given the transition to the new “system”.  The Crowders of the world are easily replaced.  

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nyjbuddy said:

Juju's Next Gen stats:

image.png.e45267b4bc2654719f10b38a7db8def0.png

It really depends on the Juju the Jets would be getting.  Last year he spent 82% of his snaps in the slot.  This may be why his catch rate increased but his YAC and TAY decreased.  The Steelers had Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool, both were more productive than Juju in lesser playing time.  Juju played in 84% of snaps and accumulated 831 yards on 128 targets while Johnson (923 yards, 7 TDs) and Claypool (873 yards, 9 TDs) were in the 65% snap range with both putting up better numbers.  The Steelers felt that both Johnson and Claypool were better on the outside versus Juju.

The other thing to look at is the number of personnel packages LaFleur will run.  Shannahan's 49ers offense ran more 2 WR sets (4th in the league, one spot behind GB) and the 3rd fewest 3 WR sets.  Would Juju get the volume he needs to get back to 2018 numbers or is his 2020 numbers his ceiling in the Jets' offense?  Would his presence limit Mims' playing time?

Good analysis.

JuJu is versatile - inside or outside.  He can block.  He and Davis can both play the Deebo/Aiyuk role.  Mims maybe too, harder to tell since we haven't seen Mims fully featured yet

Steelers threw on every down.  We won't be doing that but there's plenty of throws available for all these guys.  Depends on game script really.

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

When you can't back it up it's a problem. Like we never seen hits like that before.

I mean, I think his career so far in the NFL has been pretty good. But we are all entitled to our own opinions on players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought Mims was going to be the X receiver. Davis is Z, JuJu or Crowder slot, Herndon Y. Mims has to prove it, of course, but that would seem to be his profile.

That’s what I think as well. Mims is starting at the X spot. Crowder would be benched. He’d come in and kick Juju to the Z to give Davis a rest. Or Davis to the X to give Mims a rest. Crowder becomes an expensive number 4. We can find a comparable guy in the draft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SAR I said:

No "huge haul" is worth finding a franchise quarterback.

Sam Darnold might be a franchise quarterback.  We haven't seen him in a Shanahan offense and he sounds perfectly suited for it.

Zach Wilson might be a franchise quarterback.  We haven't seen him in the NFL at all.

So let's have our cake and eat it too.  Let's keep the best available veteran quarterback and the best available NCAA quarterback and pick the one we like best at the end of training camp or a year from now.

SAR I and @Charlie Brown

To be fair, you’re talking about two cakes. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Good analysis.

JuJu is versatile - inside or outside.  He can block.  He and Davis can both play the Deebo/Aiyuk role.  Mims maybe too, harder to tell since we haven't seen Mims fully featured yet

Steelers threw on every down.  We won't be doing that but there's plenty of throws available for all these guys.  Depends on game script really.

 

The number of throws and distribution will be very telling of LaFleur's style.  Kyle Shanahan has often had a main target without spreading the ball around as much as other offenses do.  The 49ers most successful recent season was also limiting the throws of the QB but with a high efficiency and great defensive play.  In 2019, Garappolo was 29th in attempts and the 49ers offense ranked in the top 5.  If this is where the offense is headed, there may not be a lot of throws being spread out among 7-8 targets.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Crowder is a pure slot guy without speed or agility to be used in jet sweeps/motion. He's a good player but not worth 10M a year and has durability issues. I'm not a big Juju fan but if it was one or the other I'd take the 24 year old with more upside who can play outside of the slot if needed and does all those same things with more size to boot.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

or....

 

maybe Juju is doing like most free agents and is jut using the Jets to up his offer from the Steelers

Yes, this is exactly what's happening.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jets still have a ton of cap space, but I don't see the need to have Crowder AND Juju on the roster.  Juju is an upgrade over Crowder.  He's more dynamic, versatile, and a much better run blocker, which they seem to value.  Juju also shouldn't cost much more than the money saved by cutting Crowder.

I'm hoping Douglas invests in a cornerback because our secondary was one of the weakest parts of the team last year.  I know Saleh's defensive scheme asks less of the secondary, but if Lawson and Davis work out like they expect, we could have a really good defense with an upgrade at CB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

I like crowder hes a solid WR. If we sign JuJu why cut him? We have the cap space. Nothing wrong with having a solid #4 WR for the season, let him walk next year and get a comp pick.

Agreed.  And somebody always get hurt.  Remember all those hammies last year?

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Juju is a clear upgrade over Crowder for similar money would be a solid move ....I thought the Curtis Samuel love was overboard thought that was more a lateral move that didn't make a whole lot of sense. I also don't think its a sure thing Crowder gets cut the media hasn't been right about a thing involving the Jets all off season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I would rather have the guy who is 23 years old and has 3 years of NFL experience in New York under his belt.

Yes, I'm the first fan on a message board to guess wrong on a head coach.  Please post your prediction resume, I'm sure its perfect.

SAR I

Far from it, but recently I nailed the Corey Davis signing. You saying Darnold is the best veteran quarterback feels like your contrarian type arguments you like to choose. 😆

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mims 9 games

Crowder 12 games

Davis 14 games

JuJu 16 games

Most wr’s miss games and snaps.

Having a better replacement makes you.....

BETTER!

sign JuJu, keep Crowder. Don’t give me this x, y, z bullsh%t. 
How much did we operate under the cap last year?

We’re not balancing your monthly budget here.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nyjbuddy said:

Juju's Next Gen stats:

image.png.e45267b4bc2654719f10b38a7db8def0.png

It really depends on the Juju the Jets would be getting.  Last year he spent 82% of his snaps in the slot.  This may be why his catch rate increased but his YAC and TAY decreased.  The Steelers had Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool, both were more productive than Juju in lesser playing time.  Juju played in 84% of snaps and accumulated 831 yards on 128 targets while Johnson (923 yards, 7 TDs) and Claypool (873 yards, 9 TDs) were in the 65% snap range with both putting up better numbers.  The Steelers felt that both Johnson and Claypool were better on the outside versus Juju.

The other thing to look at is the number of personnel packages LaFleur will run.  Shannahan's 49ers offense ran more 2 WR sets (4th in the league, one spot behind GB) and the 3rd fewest 3 WR sets.  Would Juju get the volume he needs to get back to 2018 numbers or is his 2020 numbers his ceiling in the Jets' offense?  Would his presence limit Mims' playing time?

The Jets don’t have a Kittle on the roster (and Pitts is a pipe dream), so a big slot would fill some of that void. I’d expect a lot more three WR sets here than in SF. 

28 minutes ago, Icer said:

Crowder is a pure slot guy without speed or agility to be used in jet sweeps/motion. He's a good player but not worth 10M a year and has durability issues. I'm not a big Juju fan but if it was one or the other I'd take the 24 year old with more upside who can play outside of the slot if needed and does all those same things with more size to boot.

If JD wanted to be cold and heartless, Crowder’s the guy he could come to in August and say, “we can either cut you or your pay, which do you prefer?”  
 
And that’s only if they can’t get something worthwhile in a trade. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slats said:

The Jets don’t have a Kittle on the roster (and Pitts is a pipe dream), so a big slot would fill some of that void. I’d expect a lot more three WR sets here than in SF. 

If JD wanted to be cold and heartless, Crowder’s the guy he could come to in August and say, “we can either cut you or your pay, which do you prefer?”  
 
And that’s only if they can’t get something worthwhile in a trade. 

That wouldn’t be much of an ultimatum.

Someone will pay Crowder. He’s very good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Irish Jet said:

That wouldn’t be much of an ultimatum.

Someone will pay Crowder. He’s very good.

In August? I honestly don’t think so, and I like him, too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...