Thursday night football moving exclusively to Amazon Prime, DirectTv NFL package moving to ESPN+

1 minute ago, static14 said:

The original tweet was from Craig Carton. So there’s a 99.99999999999% chance he just pulled it out of his ass. 

I really hope he’s right on this one...  I grow weary of non-legal streaming

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

So this means Sunday ticket will now be available on ESPN + or did I read it wrong?

That's the rumor. I'm pretty stoked about it because DirectTV's apps are just trash. ESPN+ had a rocky start but they are light years beyond DirectTV and given the vast variety of content (live, PPV, historical libraries and content) they have it's pretty impressive. Search engine needs some work but otherwise they are great.

If I had to guess I would say the first 1-2 weeks of football will be a rocky start for them given the huge surge in viewers and a new system. But they figure quirks out very quickly. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You read it wrong, read the post above yours.

Now we'll need all 6 streaming services to get all the Jets Games.

I just heard they're moving NFL Sunday Ticket to ESPN+  

TNF to Amazon

Did I miss something?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/18/nfl-announces-new-tv-deals-with-nbc-cbs-fox-espn-amazon/

The NFL has completed its long-awaited new television deals, and to viewers at home they will look a lot like the old TV deals.

NBC will continue to show Sunday Night Football. ESPN will continue to show Monday Night Football. FOX will continue to show the NFC on Sunday afternoons. CBS will continue to show the AFC on Sunday afternoons.

Amazon, which previously had the rights only to simulcast Thursday Night Football on Prime Video, will now have the NFL’s first all-digital TV package with Thursday night games exclusively available through Amazon. The Amazon exclusive will begin with the 2023 season; FOX still has Thursday Night Football for the next two years.

“These new media deals will provide our fans even greater access to the games they love. We’re proud to grow our partnerships with the most innovative media companies in the market,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. “Along with our recently completed labor agreement with the NFLPA, these distribution agreements bring an unprecedented era of stability to the League and will permit us to continue to grow and improve our game.”

The NFL now has its television deals locked in through the 2033 season, including Super Bowl assignments. NBC will show the Super Bowl in 2022, 2025, 2029 and 2033. CBS will show the Super Bowl in 2023, 2027 and 2031. FOX will show the Super Bowl in 2024, 2028 and 2032. ESPN/ABC will show the Super Bowl in 2026 and 2030.

According to ProFootball Talk - It sounds like not much has changed except for Thursday night football.  Starting 2023 you'll need an Amazon Prime account to watch Thursday night games.  I am assuming (although it is not said here) that there will be a local broadcast for each team.  So if you live in NY, you could still watch the Jets and Giants Thursday night game on a local channel, but you wouldn't get the rest of the Thursday night schedule if you didn't have Amazon Prime.

Everything else stays the same but it sounds like all of the other networks are allowed to also show the games on their streaming platforms (Paramount+, ESPN+ etc.) but that means in addition to the traditional broadcast, not exclusively on their streaming services.

I've searched but I have not seen anything announced about the Sunday Ticket.  The contract with Direct TV doesn't expire until after the 2022 season, so whatever replaces it won't start until 2023.

I wouldn't be shocked if an Amazon or ESPN+ took it over.  If that happens, I would imagine that they would require you to pay for the regular price of their streaming service, plus an additional fee for the Sunday Ticket package, similar to what Direct TV does now.  Hopefully, they would allow sub, team specific packages, so if you only wanted to buy the Jets games, it would be a reduced price.   Hopefully that happens.

• Upvote 2