Jets sign C/G Dan Feeney

1 hour ago, Larz said:

I was expecting Larry alien 

seriously wtf is with the negativity. He said that he was building through the draft 

He didn’t say he was going avoid upgrading our secondary and o-line through free agency. Building through the draft doesn’t mean you avoid talented free agents in positions of need. The offseason only started though. 

• Upvote 1

i remember feeney when he came out in the draft.  the board i used to post on was really high on him.  can't say i've followed his career.  seems better than what they have, especially on the bench (granted, not saying much).  fine for depth purposes and probably even an upgrade if he starts.  position versatility is always good.  the line is better than it was yesterday, but not exactly a strength on the team

• Upvote 2

IOL ‘21 Cap Hits

$6.8M - Alex Lewis
$3.4M - GVR
$3.5M - Dan Feeney
$4.0M - Kevin Zeitler

Zeitler excels in zone blocking and played in the same stadium as the Jets last year. His family lived in NY and loved the city. Yea his cap hit goes up to $9M in year 2, but it’s not a long term commitment and he’s the only starting caliber player on that list, head and shoulders above the rest. And I’m sure Douglas could have front loaded the deal if he wanted to. Players never have a problem w that  

This was a big Joe Douglas miss. 

• Upvote 2

Dan Feeney

To say Feeney was ineffective in 2020 would be an understatement. He allowed 24 hurries and 33 pressures this past season – the most by any center in the NFL, according to Warren Sharp. Feeney gave up four sacks and committed two penalties, as well. To put into perspective how bad Feeney was last year, his 48.2 Pro Football Focus grade ranked 12 spots worse than the Jets’ Connor McGovern and was second-last among centers.. enough said.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5EEEE7EE-B4B7-4B58-8A64-5ADE672A2204.thumb.png.2d7ce7f3ab9ad4d4145e54f8c46538cb.png

How about the gem from Andrew Brandt right under trying to shame fans for being more concerned about the cap effects of a player being dropped than for the financial welfare of the player . Let’s start a gofundme page for the next cap causality . If 100,000 of us donate $3 maybe we can give some poor unfortunate soul cursed with the blessings of being an nfl athlete a decent wage . The amount of completely delusional points that trickle down from this statement are mind blowing .

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

It is very possible that the mullet / mustache look happened during the short stint of the Gardner Minshew craze? Also possibly a lost bet during a drinking game?

In all seriousness when you consider we're going into camp with 90 players, then have to cut down to 53 before the start of the season, bringing in a three plus years starter that plays multiple positions and was the second player taken in the draft at his position is absolutely smart money.

JD is trying to create competition. He's trying to light a fire under these guys asses with a new head coach. Bringing in a dude who has four years experience and is only 26 years old as a starter will bring competition. That's the idea. Even if he makes it as a backup it's not like the guy never played the pro game before.

You can laugh now but one man's junk is another man's treasure so you never know. If you look around the league a few of our own so-called scrubs found their groove in other situations. Henry Anderson just went to the Pats. Just sayin'... give the guy a chance.

Everybody thought Ryan Tannehill was crap until he got his change of scenery. Leonard Fournette.. yeah he killed it in the playoffs and Superbowl last year.

These guys all have their stories, Cole Beasley, Shaq Barrett, Bashaud Breeland , hell even Fitzmagic. All World athletes that just sometimes need to find their footing. Not saying Dan Feeney is all world, but there was a reason the guy was drafted 71st overall, there's a reason he started in the NFL for three years, and he's only 26 years old. Let's see if he brings it.

• Sympathy 3

I really don’t know what JD is doing at this point. Our offensive line needed major improvement and this is the only thing we have done? 

The whole Joe Thuney situation, I understand. Who would turn that much money to play next to a generational talent like Mahomes? But at least show interest in Linsley. I expect to use one of our top 3 picks on a lineman this year. 

16 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I really don’t know what JD is doing at this point. Our offensive line needed major improvement and this is the only thing we have done? 

The whole Joe Thuney situation, I understand. Who would turn that much money to play next to a generational talent like Mahomes? But at least show interest in Linsley. I expect to use one of our top 3 picks on a lineman this year. 

I think it’s obvious that OL is going to be a top priority in the draft.

The only dudes really worth signing for us were Thuney and Linsley.

And with a team like KC offering Thuney $16 million a year, the Jets would have had to do some goofy sh*t like offer him upwards of $20 million a season to play here.

And Linsley is a good player but there’s no way that he deserves to be the highest paid center in NFL history. Before this past season he had a reputation as a solid, yet unspectacular starting center. Really not much different than a guy like McGovern.

If the Jets have decided to move on from Sam, then ideally I’d want to walk away with Wilson at #2, Vera-Tucker at #23 and a guy like Creed Humphrey at #34.

Becton, AVT and Humphrey added to the OL over a two year period would be a major injection of youth and talent to the unit.

Now, if the draft rolls around and we don’t draft an OL within the first two rounds, I’ll be leading the pack at tearing into Douglas.

• Upvote 1

Dan Feeney: Is he a fit and what should Jets fans expect?

After losing out on Joe Thuney and apparently—for whatever reason—not being interested in Corey Linsley, Joe Douglas added some competition to the OL room this free agency season with the acquisition of Dan Feeney on a one-year deal worth up to $4.25 million. Feeney, a former third-round pick from Indiana University, has experience at both guard and center, fitting Douglas’ versatility profile.

Since debuting for the Chargers in 2017, Feeney’s performance can be summed up in one word: adequate. Although his durability (57 straight starts) and ability to play multiple positions will be an asset, he’s not a signing that should have Jets fans feeling much better about the state of the interior offensive line which, by all accounts, was one of the worst in the NFL. Not to mention Feeney’s league leading thirty-three total pressures allowed (for centers) were tied with the Jets’ very own Connor McGovern, and that’s disconcerting.

Still, Feeney is a nice fit for the wide zone system the Jets will deploy and, hopefully, his best days are ahead.

Below are some of the notes (positive and negative) I gathered while evaluating him for The Scouting Academy this past summer.

Grades are based on a scale using the following terminology:

Elite, Very Good, Good, Solid, Adequate, Marginal, Poor

*Adequate on this grading scale is considered below average

These notes are based on Feeney’s 2019 film.

Best: First Level Zone Blocking, Versatility, Down/Back blocks

Worst: Functional Strength, Jump Sets, 1-1 Drive/Base Blocking

Scheme fit: Outside Zone scheme with a short/intermediate passing system

Positives:

Pass Pro:

Pre-snap communication is good at both Guard and Center (sets protections and communicates with the rest of the OL)

Solid quickness off the snap yet adequate explosion

Solid job hitting his set points and establishing a half-man relationship via solid footwork

Solid understanding of proper hand placement but struggles with timing

Solid mental processing and use of his drag hand in assisting adjacent linemen while keeping his eyes on his gap responsibilities

Solid anchor when bull-rushed versus linemen of all sizes due to solid pad level, UOH, and good competitive toughness to get hands “double under” (in armpit area) and maintain leverage

Gap blocking:

Solid first level blocker out of a Pull due to good quickness off the snap, foot speed, solid ability to stay square, maintain leverage, and execute solid hand placement/timing to the inside shoulder to displace and define the defender/Gap

Solid down/back blocker due to solid pad level and hand placement/timing

Good job finishing blocks and locking onto defenders

Solid double team blocker (Duo)

Zone blocking:

Good initial quickness off the snap in both IZ and OZ

Good combo blocker on the first level due to good timing with his feet and hands (utilizing a “high leg” as a chipper or rooting his feet as the “cover” guy)

Solid reach blocker (and ability to maintain leverage) via good footwork off the snap, foot speed, and solid UOH

Good at washing defenders of all sizes (when unable to maintain reach blocks) and driving them horizontally, opening up cutback lanes, and finishing them with circular force due to good hand placement (playing long), competitive toughness, solid pad level, and angles

Solid angles to the second level

Negatives:

Feeney struggles to readjust his feet on jump sets due to adequate initial foot and hand placement

Can get top-heavy, lunge, and lose balance

Struggles to reverse his post foot properly (versus inside moves) in Pass Pro due to adequate change of direction

At times tends to open up his hips early and create a path to the QB

Susceptible to pass rush moves 1-1 versus good to elite 1 to 3 tech due to adequate hand timing, strength, and explosion out of the snap

Feeney has an issue matching power-with-power and leaves his chest exposed to quicker, more explosive DL off the snap resulting in wide arms and difficulty remaining balanced

Adequate movement at the POA versus larger DL on drive/base blocks due to adequate strength (he’s easily stacked and shed)

Adequate ability on the second level to sustain blocks and/or track defenders in space due to adequate change of direction (At times, he resorts to literally throwing himself onto the ground—making little to no contact with a defender—hoping to make a block)

Difficulty adjusting to stunts due to adequate change of direction/lateral agility

Conclusion:

Overall, Feeney is an adequate Guard/Center in the NFL with the ability to compete for a starting spot but better served in a backup role. He is best deployed in an outside zone system with a quick passing game to make up for his pass protection inconsistencies.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

This may not be a huge free agent signing, but might be exactly what this team needs. A professional lunch pale guy that is durable and goes about his job the right way. Maybe even performs at a higher level as a veteran leader. The one word that stands out in the assessments I've read is "solid". I'll take that at a relatively good price. I'm pretty happy with this signing. Good teams in any sport need guys like this. He may not be Ferguson or Mangold, but he might help a talent like Becton get there.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app