Jets sign C/G Dan Feeney

• 11 months later...
7 minutes ago, derp said:

Hopefully instead of okay veteran OL backups they use this draft to build young OL depth day 3 like they did with young back seven depth day three last year.

I hope they grab at least one OL in the first four picks (OT in the 2nd round would be fine b/c they cannot count on Becton for this year), then another OL in the 3rd or 4th.  

Wherever they take them, they need to hit the picks.  No more Chuma Edogas, please...

38 minutes ago, derp said:

Hopefully instead of okay veteran OL backups they use this draft to build young OL depth day 3 like they did with young back seven depth day three last year.

I think its inevitable we'll see a 1st round pick used on OL this year again, with at least one developmental player taken in the later rounds.  They'll have some time to develop players with 3/5s of the offensive line on rookie contracts.  May not be as many guys drafted to develop this year because of the time frame but I would wager we would take at minimum 1 offensive lineman in every draft from here on in. 

3 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I think its inevitable we'll see a 1st round pick used on OL this year again, with at least one developmental player taken in the later rounds.  They'll have some time to develop players with 3/5s of the offensive line on rookie contracts.  May not be as many guys drafted to develop this year because of the time frame but I would wager we would take at minimum 1 offensive lineman in every draft from here on in. 

I think the first round on OL would be a mistake but I do kind of expect it, there are so many scenarios with Neal/Ekwonu being BPA at 4 or Penning being on the board at 10.

Douglas talked about a) thinking about how the Super Bowl teams got there and b) how you’re more sure of what you’re getting in the pro scouting market than the draft. To me, a veteran makes much more sense at RG than a rookie at 4/10 who played tackle last year. Less crazy over investment in the OL, and more importantly you have a much better sense of what you’re getting. I picture the Jets taking Ekwonu, with questions about his technique and pass sets and pretty high pressure numbers at guard year before last, and him getting smoked in pass protection.

The one thing I could get behind is Zion Johnson if they move down from 10 to the 20’s. It’s not as high, he’s good, physically talented, seems to get after it, and has position versatility. But a top ten tackle to guard to maybe go back out to tackle just seems like a recipe for disaster to me. Would be different if they had a 

A big part of that belief is also that they should just extend Fant and hang on to him at left tackle. I’m all for Fant+Becton+developmental tackle late day 2/early day three as insurance, and I think they should take someone they can develop as a center since this center class has a few athletic guys day three and McGovern hits FA after this season. But can’t get into the early OL this year, I think it’s high short term risk and the presence of Fant and Becton minimizes the long term upside of it. Especially if Fant is playing LT since they filled RT pretty well last year with Moses who was a backup and still have Becton.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, derp said:

I think the first round on OL would be a mistake but I do kind of expect it, there are so many scenarios with Neal/Ekwonu being BPA at 4 or Penning being on the board at 10.

Douglas talked about a) thinking about how the Super Bowl teams got there and b) how you’re more sure of what you’re getting in the pro scouting market than the draft. To me, a veteran makes much more sense at RG than a rookie at 4/10 who played tackle last year. Less crazy over investment in the OL, and more importantly you have a much better sense of what you’re getting. I picture the Jets taking Ekwonu, with questions about his technique and pass sets and pretty high pressure numbers at guard year before last, and him getting smoked in pass protection.

The one thing I could get behind is Zion Johnson if they move down from 10 to the 20’s. It’s not as high, he’s good, physically talented, seems to get after it, and has position versatility. But a top ten tackle to guard to maybe go back out to tackle just seems like a recipe for disaster to me. Would be different if they had a 

A big part of that belief is also that they should just extend Fant and hang on to him at left tackle. I’m all for Fant+Becton+developmental tackle late day 2/early day three as insurance, and I think they should take someone they can develop as a center since this center class has a few athletic guys day three and McGovern hits FA after this season. But can’t get into the early OL this year, I think it’s high short term risk and the presence of Fant and Becton minimizes the long term upside of it. Especially if Fant is playing LT since they filled RT pretty well last year with Moses who was a backup and still have Becton.

I get all of that and probably agree.  I just think youre seeing now the likely hood of one of those two guys being there at 4 and jd hell bent on making the OL the top unit in the league. Now if they are able to add some FA talent there then I believe that plan changes at Walker would probably be the pick at 4 and then at 10 its anyones guess.  I would say penning, sauce, trade out, if all else failed maybe WR there.  It's really tough to tell, we'll get a pretty clear picture after next week though. 

If we sign 1-2 OL in FA i think the bets would be in that its some combo of Walker, Thibs, Sauce, or Johnson at 4 and 10. with a darkhorse being london. 

2 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I get all of that and probably agree.  I just think youre seeing now the likely hood of one of those two guys being there at 4 and jd hell bent on making the OL the top unit in the league. Now if they are able to add some FA talent there then I believe that plan changes at Walker would probably be the pick at 4 and then at 10 its anyones guess.  I would say penning, sauce, trade out, if all else failed maybe WR there.  It's really tough to tell, we'll get a pretty clear picture after next week though. 

If we sign 1-2 OL in FA i think the bets would be in that its some combo of Walker, Thibs, Sauce, or Johnson at 4 and 10. with a darkhorse being london. 

I think the FA OL makes sense, guard market could be reasonable. The one thing I think gets tricky is I doubt Thibodeaux is high on their board. Feel like their top five prospects in some order are Hutchinson, Walker, Gardner, Neal, Ekwonu - and they're in a tricky spot if the defensive guys go 1-3. But maybe a team wants to leapfrog the Giants for OL or Thibodeaux or even maybe Willis in that scenario, there are contingencies that would work that help them get out if they need to. Have a feeling Walker's their guy with Hutchinson looking like he's going #1, but think it's very realistic that Walker goes 2 or 3.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, derp said:

I think the FA OL makes sense, guard market could be reasonable. The one thing I think gets tricky is I doubt Thibodeaux is high on their board. Feel like their top five prospects in some order are Hutchinson, Walker, Gardner, Neal, Ekwonu - and they're in a tricky spot if the defensive guys go 1-3. But maybe a team wants to leapfrog the Giants for OL or Thibodeaux or even maybe Willis in that scenario, there are contingencies that would work that help them get out if they need to. Have a feeling Walker's their guy with Hutchinson looking like he's going #1, but think it's very realistic that Walker goes 2 or 3.

I agree, I think youre right on the nose with their board as of right now.