Jets sign Lamarcus Joyner, 1 year for $4.5M

He was really good for the Rams. People are sleeping on him.

I wonder if Davis gets a look at Nickel CB. whenever a team switches defenses, the focus is on the front 7 and how those pieces fit.  This will be a big change for some of our DBs.  Press cover 3 is a lot different skill set than the more off coverage system Williams ran. Saleh likes to move his DBs all over the "traditional" formation.  I wouldn't be surprised one bit if there are multiple looks with Maye, Joyner and Davis all on the field.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

They let their entire offensive line walk and used that free cash to sign kenyan drake to back up Josh jacobs. 

The holy Mike Mayock. At one time he was the grail of draft gurus. So much that he got promoted to GM of a Cadillac NFL franchise with a legend HC. Too bad he got used to sniffing the stank of his own briefs. What a fall from grace. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Good move, we needed another safety option.  Now on to cornerback!

CB might be less of a concern to JD since coverage is a function of pressure... Jets DL WILL GET TO THE QB.

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Man they weren’t kidding when they said Joe values year to year flexibility. 

lot of folks playing for contracts 

He’s really trying to stock the cupboards and get stop gap prove its in the meantime. It’s a great strategy but means he’ll be the GM of a sh*tty team until the farm graduates up the depth chart. It’s almost like he’s playing this strategy out for peak success in his second contract... 

I remember when we had Maye and Adam, it was tough to get a 3rd S to even consider signing with us. When one of them missed times we had Miles (#45) getting toasted or a CB playing FS out on the field tackling like Cromartie in the run game. 

As for Joyner, I think he was good however he was graded out as elite and that had more to do with the Rams defense. Now with the Raiders I still feel he's good or at worse above average but he was definitely Institutionalise and was a product of his environment which was a scrub. Raiders D sucked. Absolutely no pressure after trading Mack and they made the mistake in thinking he was going to be the playmaker to change things around so they gave him 4 years - $42 mil. Glad things didn't work out and welcome to the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Vader said:

He’s really trying to stock the cupboards and get stop gap prove its in the meantime. It’s a great strategy but means he’ll be the GM of a sh*tty team until the farm graduates up the depth chart. It’s almost like he’s playing this strategy out for peak success in his second contract... 

that would be a win for everybody if it worked out. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Vader said:

CB might be less of a concern to JD since coverage is a function of pressure... Jets DL WILL GET TO THE QB.

Well pressure certainly helps CBs a great deal but we are very thin right now.  I am sure we will be drafting at least one if not more CBs but still we could use a vet.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well pressure certainly helps CBs a great deal but we are very thin right now.  I am sure we will be drafting at least one if not more CBs but still we could use a vet.

Last time we had a 43, we made it to the AFCCG and were rolling out Abraham, Bryan Thomas and David Barrett at CB. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Vader said:

The holy Mike Mayock. At one time he was the grail of draft gurus. So much that he got promoted to GM of a Cadillac NFL franchise with a legend HC. Too bad he got used to sniffing the stank of his own briefs. What a fall from grace. 

The faster he gets back to the NFL network on draft day the better for everyone. God I miss him on my TV. 

The Raiders moves are ridiculous. And it feels like Mayock is following the orders of a crazy man in John Gruden. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, David Harris said:

The faster he gets back to the NFL network on draft day the better for everyone. God I miss him on my TV. 

The Raiders moves are ridiculous. And it feels like Mayock is following the orders of a crazy man in John Gruden. 

Hehe its like he left his brain in the studio

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He was really good for the Rams. People are sleeping on him.

I wonder if Davis gets a look at Nickel CB. whenever a team switches defenses, the focus is on the front 7 and how those pieces fit.  This will be a big change for some of our DBs.  Press cover 3 is a lot different skill set than the more off coverage system Williams ran. Saleh likes to move his DBs all over the "traditional" formation.  I wouldn't be surprised one bit if there are multiple looks with Maye, Joyner and Davis all on the field.

My understanding is that Saleh and Ulrich are switching to a cover-2/ cover 4 coverage with a 4-3 wide 9 stack. Essentially, Saleh’s Will LB would rotate with a 3rd safety maintaining the traditional 4-3 look but with big nickel personnel. Davis excelled as an SS/Nickel backer last year and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him take that “big nickel” safety role with Joyner and Maye as the 2 high split safeties. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Joe fan boys hyping up scrub after scrub - even joe knows they are scrubs which is why they are getting one year deals - if they were such great players joe would give them longer deals while the price is cheap - this is like last year he signed a bunch of scrub free agents and is doing it again this year and folks are buying it again lol

is he tanking again on purpose? 

joe probably has a clause in his contract that pats him for saving money for woody - no reason to sign these scrubs over proven players 

once again if joe loved these scrubs they would b long term deals taking advantage of their low salaries 

these hyped up players are so great the best most of them could do is short deals with the second worst team in football - all of the elite teams that know talent passed over these scrubs 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Joe fan boys hyping up scrub after scrub - even joe knows they are scrubs which is why they are getting one year deals - if they were such great players joe would give them longer deals while the price is cheap - this is like last year he signed a bunch of scrub free agents and is doing it again this year and folks are buying it again lol

joe probably has a clause in his contract that pats him for saving money for woody - no reason to sign these scrubs over proven players 

once again if joe loved these scrubs they would b long term deals taking advantage of their low salaries 

these hyped up players are so great the best most of them could do is short deals with the second worst team in football - all of the elite teams that know talent passed over these scrubs 

Its going to be good for resetting the culture to have a bunch of players who need to perform

12 minutes ago, GodDamnSnack said:

Nick Bolton seems like a Saleh type player. Not sure about the scheme fit though. Is there any LB you feel strongly about?

Zaven Collins if I had a choice at #34 assuming the Jets did the right things with the #2 and #23 picks (like going Offense twice).  But 34 is also a good spot for a CB this year.  

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, kmnj said:

I do not believe you understand how the FA system works effectively...the draft picks replace FA 1 year guy and hopefully we get young starter or FA worth paying long term...

Joyner is an interesting signing.  His best position by far is FS, which is also Marcus Maye's best position and Ashtyn Davis's best position.

I know that Saleh will likely play a fair amount of big nickel with 3 Safeties (not that you can really call Joyner "big"), but his signing does also give the Jets options should Maye refuse to sign his tender (unlikely) or if the Jets elect to trade him (slightly less unlikely) or rescind the tag completely (least likely).

Having a capable FS alternative (Joyner was the Rams franchise player at the position a few years ago) does at least give team Maye something to think about. He hasn't signed the tag yet, but this increases the pressure on him to do that and guarantee his $10.5M for this year. If the Jets were to pull the tag later in FA, he would struggle to find a deal for $10.5M on the open market.

I'd expect Maye to sign the tag shortly, and for the Jets to play a lot of 3 Safety looks this year.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Zaven Collins if I had a choice at #34 assuming the Jets did the right things with the #2 and #23 picks (like going Offense twice).  But 34 is also a good spot for a CB this year.  

I think the cats out of the bag at this point. Probably going to have to get him at 23 if we want him. 

8 hours ago, kmnj said:

I really dont understand this take whatsoever.

Aside from Thuney what did you want JD to do?  

The reality is that there were no guards available that are any good outside of Thuney.  The only place where McGovern is looked at as a below average player is on this website. Did he struggle the first half of the year with no offseason - yea, but he had a good second half and is a fantastic fit for this scheme.  Same goes for Fant - they will excel on the outside zone plays due to their athleticism.

We needed a WR and he signed one of the best ones on the market.  You want Davis and Golloday? 

Then we needed a pass rushing DE for a 4-3 and he signed one who is 25 years old, is an ascending player and perfect fits the defense.  

The other signings arent elite players but his job is to build a TEAM.  Do I think we need a RB, I do.   Would I like to see kyle fuller here, yet. But we have a scheme and maybe these guys dont fit it. We spent years paying high priced guys like Trumaine, Leveon, etc which was a failure and now people are whining that we didnt do it again.  Dont really get it.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, David Harris said:

Not an indictment on Ashtyn Davis at all. Stop thinking like that.  It’s a one year deal.  This is Insurance and depth plus Salah’s defense plays a lot of 3 safety. Now each are Interchangeable.

Think about if you have those three on the field at the same time – who is going to pick up the slot, are they going to play three deep, convert to cover 2 with one shifting to SS.  Plus injuries happen. It won’t be like last year where one WR goes down and we’re absolutely fkd. Depth.

one year deals will keep happening until the young guy draft picks cycle up through the system and take over and then keep the assembly line churning with picks backing up older picks, a couple savvy FA moves to fill some holes here and there.  Sign the good young guys long term while the draft machine keeps churning and churning as some guys leave as FA’s and are replaced by the groomed pups, pick up a couple comp picks then.  

THE MACHINE IS BEING BUILT.  Zach Wilson WILL be drafted and this thing will be humming in a couple seasons.

Weren’t we supposed to see 3 safeties on the field last year?  I remember people touting the McDougle, Maye, Davis trio as a matchup advantage.   Davis looked like a lost rookie, his slot corner ability was pretty bad.  Joyner is a nice FS, but nothing more and Maye will be relegated to SS.   I’m not sure I see this trio being on the field at the same time a whole lot.