Jets sign Lamarcus Joyner, 1 year for $4.5M

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I’ve said this in the Draft Forum... the Jets are drafting a LB earlier than people think, maybe even at 34.

It’s going to be interesting to see what Saleh encourages here versus what they did in SF. None of their starting LB’s were particularly highly drafted - highest was Fred Warner at 70 overall. Other two were a fifth round pick and a UDFA - none more than their third year in the league last year and pretty sure all 235 or lighter.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Shows how much faith Douglas has in his third round pick. Not like we have glaring needs elsewhere.

do you complain about everything?

wah, wah, JD is doing nothing

JD signs joyner

wah, wah, JD must think his last year pick sucks

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

This is a really good deal for the Jets. Joyner was misused in Las Vegas. Assuming the Jets are moving him back to Free Safety he could be a really nice player for us on a 1 year deal. He played his best at that position for the Rams.

I still want JD to address the O-Line but so far this has been a really strong off season for the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

Jets Lamarcus Joyner addition creates intriguing options at safety 

By Connor Hughes

The Jets and free-agent defensive back Lamarcus Joyner agreed to terms on a one-year contract Thursday, sources confirmed. The deal is worth up to $4.5 million. The specifics of the contract aren’t yet known and won’t be until the deal is submitted into the NFLPA’s database. When that happens, be sure to check here for a complete breakdown of the contract.

What should you know about Joyner? What role will he play in the Jets’ defense?

Here’s the breakdown.

How he fits: Joyner, 30, was originally a second-round pick by the Rams in 2014. At 5-8 and 191 pounds, he never had the size to consistently play outside. So, early in his career, he rotated between nickel, wide corner, free safety, strong safety and in the box. Basically, the Rams put him all over the field and let his athleticism shine.

In 2017, the Rams played Joyner at free safety more than ever. He saw 510 of his 760 defensive snaps there, with another 135 at nickel and 98 in the box. Joyner finished the season with 49 tackles, nine pass breakups, a forced fumble and three interceptions. He had a career-high Pro Football Focus grade of 90.9; opponents had an incredible 27.4 passer rating when throwing his way.

In 2018, Joyner again played predominantly free safety (77 percent of snaps) and finished with 78 tackles (career high), three for a loss, three pass breakups and one interception. He had a PFF grade of 73.1.

The Rams chose not to re-sign Joyner after the year and he made his way to Oakland on a four-year, $42 million contract. Despite his success at free safety in L.A., Joyner played almost exclusively nickel corner in 2019 (86 percent of snaps) and 2020 (85 percent). He had the two lowest PFF grades of his career at 47.5 and 53.8.

It’s a bit puzzling as to why the Raiders, knowing Joyner’s past success at free safety and struggles at nickel, never moved him back to free safety. Joyner had 115 tackles, zero sacks, eight pass breakups and zero interceptions in his 28-game Raiders career.

2021 impact: Joyner will play safety with the Jets. That’s why he signed with them. Where he fills in on defense is an interesting one, though.

The Jets already have Marcus Maye, whom they franchise tagged. While Maye hasn’t signed the tag, and prefers a long-term extension, he’s in the Jets’ plans. He, like Joyner, is also a free safety. The Jets tried him at strong last year before abandoning it and moving him back deep. Douglas also drafted Ashtyn Davis in the third round last year. He struggled some as a rookie, but the Jets love his potential. He’s wildly athletic with the ability to play nickel, linebacker, free and strong safety.

The Jets didn’t give Joyner almost $5 million to ride the bench. He’s going to see the field. Robert Saleh’s defense is predominantly a two-deep zone. So the signing of Joyner might be a sign the Jets prefer two free safeties to a free and strong. Basically, they want guys who can cover ground. Saleh deployed some, but not many, three-safety looks in San Francisco. That could have been for personnel reasons. If the Jets have Maye and Joyner deep, Saleh can use Davis as a roaming hybrid linebacker/safety. This would allow the 24-year-old’s athleticism to shine.

It’s tough to tell Saleh’s plans until the Jets get on the field, but if nothing else, he and defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich now have options.

Draft impact: It seems unlikely the Jets invest any premium capital in a safety. They took Davis in the third round last year, and franchise tagged Maye with the intent of giving him a long-term contract. Maybe in the later rounds they find a player whose skill set is worth developing, but nothing more than that.

Cap update: The Jets had just over $33 million in salary-cap space before the Joyner, Keelan Cole and Dan Feeney signings. None of those three deals should take a massive chunk out of that. Contract specifics aren’t yet known.

2021 team outlook: Joyner is an intriguing signing and will fill a need on defense. Saleh wants to be versatile, and having players who can do what Joyner can adds to that. The Jets still need to address the corner position, though. This addition did not do that.

The Jets tried the bargain-buy route before. Mike Maccagnan went into one season with Darryl Roberts as his starter. Joe Douglas used Bless Austin and Pierre Desir last year. Both failed miserably. The Jets should do what they can to sign veteran Richard Sherman, then add another cornerback in the early rounds of the draft.

3 hours ago, jetblue95 said:

do you complain about everything?

wah, wah, JD is doing nothing

JD signs joyner

wah, wah, JD must think his last year pick sucks

No I'm actually a very optimistic guy in real life.

I just don't like incompetent GMs. I didn't like the last one either and complained a lot then. Give Hackenberg a chance they said. Good times.

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If we pick a freakin LB before the 4th round I'll be really mad and at that point know my fears are correct that the GM will be drafting to suit a DEFEENSIVE minded head coach.

Bolton would be a great snatch with our 2nd pick.

#20 from OSU may go late 2nd, however would certainly snatch him up if he's there with our 3rd rounder.

#12 from the Tar Heels would be good value with our Seattle 3rd rounder despite his weakness. 

Really don't know of any LBs past the 3rd round who I can vouch for.

7 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Bolton would be a great snatch with our 2nd pick.

#20 from OSU may go late 2nd, however would certainly snatch him up if he's there with our 3rd rounder.

#12 from the Tar Heels would be good value with our Seattle 3rd rounder despite his weakness. 

Really don't know of any LBs past the 3rd round who I can vouch for.

As I said, I'll be friggin enraged with a LB before the 4th round.

I'm not disputing these are good player or worthy of their draft status, just not for us.

Oline (at least 2 players)

CB

QB

RB

Wr

TE

Another pass rusher

Are all more important.

On 3/18/2021 at 9:58 PM, Irish Jet said:

Shows how much faith Douglas has in his third round pick. Not like we have glaring needs elsewhere.

Or he's just a lower cost veteran as depth - staters get injured sometimes - who'll doubly push Davis for the starter job so it isn't just handed to him after a forgettable rookie season. 

Davis makes next to nothing, so rather than identifying "he's a $3MM backup" I'm sure GMs often look at the group cost of the 2 starters plus the primary depth: Maye + Davis + Joyner = $15MM.

This time last year people were screaming for Douglas to extend Adams alone at more per season than the cost of this trio, and in the process bypass any high picks we could get for him. 

I could take or leave this pickup. I'm fine with it, and doubt he's going to be a major force on the field, but if his presence helps Davis become the player he was once expected to be, then it's a worthwhile addition. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/19/2021 at 6:30 AM, ScarletKnight89 said:

This is a really good deal for the Jets. Joyner was misused in Las Vegas. Assuming the Jets are moving him back to Free Safety he could be a really nice player for us on a 1 year deal. He played his best at that position for the Rams.

I still want JD to address the O-Line but so far this has been a really strong off season for the Jets. 

aint it crazy to criticize another team for not using someone effectively with the expectation that we are going to use them correctly. Damn when was the last time we thought that? Back when Rex was around? holdy sh*t.

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2021 at 10:20 PM, New York Mick said:

Ok so he was good at FS but sucked at Slot CB so the Raiders left him at Slot CB and let him walk. Are they stupid?

Lamarcus Joyner 5’8 go play him at Fs, and let’s see how the munchkin holds up.   That was the best news of the offseason when the Jets  signed him.    You’ll be sorry.

• Thumb Down 1

On 3/22/2021 at 6:30 PM, Raideraholic said:

Lamarcus Joyner 5’8 go play him at Fs, and let’s see how the munchkin holds up.   That was the best news of the offseason when the Jets  signed him.    You’ll be sorry.

Seemed to do just fine with the Rams.

1 minute ago, shuler82 said:

Seemed to do just fine with the Rams.

He did, he was excellent at FS for the Rams.

All-time Jets' great Victor Green was only 5'9".

Honey Badger is around the same height and weight as Joyner, and his career seems to be going OK.

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2021 at 10:08 PM, David Harris said:

Not an indictment on Ashtyn Davis at all. Stop thinking like that.  It’s a one year deal.  This is Insurance and depth plus Salah’s defense plays a lot of 3 safety. Now each are Interchangeable.

Think about if you have those three on the field at the same time – who is going to pick up the slot, are they going to play three deep, convert to cover 2 with one shifting to SS.  Plus injuries happen. It won’t be like last year where one WR goes down and we’re absolutely fkd. Depth.

one year deals will keep happening until the young guy draft picks cycle up through the system and take over and then keep the assembly line churning with picks backing up older picks, a couple savvy FA moves to fill some holes here and there.  Sign the good young guys long term while the draft machine keeps churning and churning as some guys leave as FA’s and are replaced by the groomed pups, pick up a couple comp picks then. 

I believe that Saleh will find a role for Davis in his defense.  Perhaps as the nickel linebacker or as the will in certain formations.  But I think Joyner was brought in to start.  I think his salary says it loud and clear. 

It has been my observation that good free safeties are hard to find.  In order to do more than just play centerfield, you have to have some read and react instincts.  Jim Leonard was a decent free safety.  Joyner has much better range and plenty of experience.    I think we are going to like this guy.  We needed help there and he is a good addition.

• Sympathy 1

On 3/18/2021 at 10:13 PM, kevinc855 said:

Another sub par cheap guy for a year....does JD actually wana win

4.5 million is not cheap and he was the 42nd pick.  Until the Raiders told him to play nickel, he was a quality starter.  An odd decision, fwiw, since a nickel is not hard to find and a starting free safety is hard to find.