Zach Wilson arm strength

4 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

Can I ask what are all these private videos of Zack throwing the ball at home about? Do all prospects do this?

Or are they trying to prove something and if so to who?

Surely GMs don't need this home workout video stuff they have lots of tape to view.

It worries me they are trying to big him up to the fans.

They are all meaningless.   Hackenberg looked awesome in shorts as well.  It’s propaganda from their “teams”.   People get giddy when they see a player in shorts, believing he somehow has started transforming his body.   It’s the very definition of meaningless.  

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Let him have a pro day ? As if Pro days mean anything at all.  

Hey guys screw all that college tape/video Lets go to the pro day and watch a QB under zero pressure pitch and catch to WR's he's played with for years. 

There's no combine at least a pro day will provide some data 

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

They are all meaningless.   Hackenberg looked awesome in shorts as well.  It’s propaganda from their “teams”.   People get giddy when they see a player in shorts, believing he somehow has started transforming his body.   It’s the very definition of meaningless.  

I get that but this self promotion of one of the top qb prospects is very worrying in my eyes. If you good enough and the whole world has said you are good enough for a top 5 pick you don't need to be at this. 

I really want to like Wilson and jump on the bandwagon like so many others but my head keeps telling me there is something just not right about him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I like the idea of having a menagerie section at the combine.  Every circus should have one.  I'm not sure what rare or world class physical traits have to do with being a great NFL QB.  I'm pretty sure they don't dissect prospects brains at the combine.  

For QB's all the Combine, and pro days are really about is the interviews, and white board.  They are not even having interviews  this year at pro days.

They have tons of film of these guys throwing, Wilsons film throwing the ball is incredible.

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Let him have a pro day at least 

Tweets from his daddy aren't reliable 

I know you don't like Wilson, but I don't understand posts like these. 

Do you have eyes? You can watch his game tape and see that he can really sling it. 

The big concern with Wilson is that's he's had two surgeries before taking an NFL snap, but there aren't any legitimate concerns over his arm strength. He can obviously throw the ball. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You take wilson, give him 2 years and if he is clearly not the guy, you move on and draft another qb.

Its not difficult guys.

Well, I've been told by JN experts that missing on a rookie QB automatically sets the franchise back "half a decade" - therefore, I don't believe we should ever draft a QB again. Just to be safe. 

6 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

I get that but this self promotion of one of the top qb prospects is very worrying in my eyes. If you good enough and the whole world has said you are good enough for a top 5 pick you don't need to be at this. 

I really want to like Wilson and jump on the bandwagon like so many others but my head keeps telling me there is something just not right about him.

I haven't seen Zach send out self promotion.  Can you share?

What I love with Zach is now just about every legitimate concern has been proven to be false so we're at the "something just not right" level of denial.  The kids' the real deal, get on board, it's gonna be a fun ride.

Is something not right about Fields?  It's the world today, people tweet stuff.  

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What I love with Zach is now just about every legitimate concern has been proven to be false so we're at the "something just not right" level of denial.  The kids' the real deal, get on board, it's gonna be a fun ride.

I read everything you have wrote @FidelioJet on wilson and I have to say you are persuasive and dedicated to defending him. If he becomes a jet I'll be 100% behind him and not looking for faults to be proved right, if we select him I hope to God I'm am wrong and he leads us to lots and lots of superbowls but as it stands I'm still in the trade down and build a complete roster which out weighs the risk of wilson for me and he is a risk.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Zack Wilson couldn’t produce a 4.41/40 if you stapled him to the Concorde

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Do you have eyes? You can watch his game tape and see that he can really sling it. 

The big concern with Wilson is that's he's had two surgeries before taking an NFL snap, but there aren't any legitimate concerns over his arm strength. He can obviously throw the ball. 

Last time we had that worry was back in 1965..

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The film I've seen he's stepping into his throws with his entire body and enjoys a mostly clean pocket

Wilson has a darnold arm. He "can" make all the throws, but there's nothing really special about his arm talent. 

Like darnold the scouting reports talk about the accuracy, mobility throwing from the bad platforms, etc 

The mph proves arm strength, Wilson's arm is only OK 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The film I've seen he's stepping into his throws with his entire body and enjoys a mostly clean pocket

Wilson has a darnold arm. He "can" make all the throws, but there's nothing really special about his arm talent. 

Like darnold the scouting reports talk about the accuracy the bad platforms etc 

Show me measurements 

Eh, ok. I won't belabor the point. Wilson's arm is plenty good enough to succeed in the NFL. That's really all that matters. We can debate "special" vs. "not special" until the cows come home. 

(Btw, so is Sam's. Sam's issue's have nothing to do with arm strength)

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Zack Wilson couldn’t produce a 4.41/40 if you stapled him to the Concorde

He is running a 4.6 these days though.  Quite a bit faster than Mahomes and Rodgers...

And Justin Fields couldn't touch 2325 Watts in the Peak Power in the 1080 :-)

Look, I like Fields and would be excited if that's who JD chose as his guy - "The ZW" (my new nickname for him) is going to be a star though.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Like darnold the scouting reports talk about the accuracy, mobility throwing from the bad platforms, etc 

The mph proves arm strength, Wilson's arm is only OK 

it will be a top 5 in the NFL arm.

I'm done after this -  Not falling into your troll traps anymore.  I keep doing it with Wilson.  But I'm done :-)

Here's an interesting analysis of Fields vs. Wilson.  I don't know the guy and he could be nothing more (likely) than an armchair analyst.  But it's well thought out, well constructed, and seems to be a reasonably objective analysis of both candidates and how they fit with the Jets. 

Warning: He doesn't slobber over Wilson but he doesn't knock him either.  If you only want the slobber kind of narrative, skip over it.  I'd admit that this tends to echo many of my sentiments but it does a better job than I can of explaining it all.

https://www.overtimeheroics.net/2021/03/09/justin-fields-and-zach-wilson/

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Teams that take qb at 2 are usually not in a position to support the qb at 2

Wentz 

Trubisky 

Mariota 

Etc 

The onus should be on team wilson to convince us that qb at 2 is a good idea 

Look at these teams winning super bowls they did not take their qb at 2 or even 1

And none of those guys should have seen the field in year one.

There's no law that says if you draft a QB in the top 10 he has to start in year one.

The smart thing to do is to draft Wilson, sit him for a year as you continue to build the roster and let him compete for the spot year two.

We ain't winning sh*t this year, no matter who the QB is.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Here's an interesting analysis of Fields vs. Wilson.  I don't know the guy and he could be nothing more (likely) than an armchair analyst.  But it's well thought out, well constructed, and seems to be a reasonably objective analysis of both candidates and how they fit with the Jets. 

Warning: He doesn't slobber over Wilson but he doesn't knock him either.  If you only want the slobber kind of narrative, skip over it.  I'd admit that this tends to echo many of my sentiments but it does a better job than I can of explaining it all.

https://www.overtimeheroics.net/2021/03/09/justin-fields-and-zach-wilson/

I got to the second paragraph when he called The ZW 6'2" (not his actual 6'3") 

His agenda was already clearly written out.  I'm sure it was an interesting take but clearly biased.  I was looking forward to reading it but not now.

Thanks for sharing though - I did try....

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

NFL media has Zach wilson at 21 overall 

Keep scrolling 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/

OMG, I can find more articles that have The ZW ranked higher than Lawrence than you'll find having him any lower than the 2nd best QB prospect.

Yes, you can find anything to support any narrative - I completely agree with that.  It's why I rarely point to anyone's analysis.  I watch film and make my own assessments.

I know you don't like any of the QBs other than Lawrence (at 2)...I like Fields as well.  Would be happy with him at 2. 

I can honestly say I haven't done a whole of research into Lance. 

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

OMG, I can find more articles that have The ZW ranked higher than Lawrence than you'll find having him any lower than the 2nd best QB prospect.

Yes, you can find anything to support any narrative - I completely agree with that.  It's why I rarely point to anyone's analysis.  I watch film and make my own assessments.

I know you don't like any of the QBs other than Lawrence (at 2)...I like Fields as well.  Would be happy with him at 2. 

I can honestly say I haven't done a whole of research into Lance. 

Also, the Weaknesses on NFL.com are stuff he can easily work on or just stupid result sh*t like 2-4 vs top 25 teams. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

34 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

There's no law that says if you draft a QB in the top 10 he has to start in year one.

The smart thing to do is to draft Wilson, sit him for a year as you continue to build the roster and let him compete for the spot year two.

If I’m Robert Saleh and Joe Douglas gives me nothing but one of the lowest rated QBs in the league for my first year as a head coach. I would Jamal Adams his ass!

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Pre-days for top 5 QB's are entertainment and nothing more.  

They have been poked and prodded by everyone for a year.  There can't possibly be anything, anyone can learn from watching them throw the ball to old teammates in shorts and t-shirts for a half hour.

I'm really looking forward to watching ZW's next week, but I don't expect me, JD, Saleh or LaFleur to learn anything.  It'll just be fun.

Actually, I think they are for interviews and medicals, which are probably more important than anything else.

47 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

The number two pick gets 20 million dollars in cash up front 

They can't leave that money on the bench all year even if it's a smart idea 

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Actually, I think they are for interviews and medicals, which are probably more important than anything else.

They've already spoken with these guys via zoom on multiple occasions. 

Not really sure how they're doing medicals though.  

I am quite confident they've gotten true height and weight measurements.  

Can't imagine it would be too hard to see these guys stand on a scale on a zoom call.  or get measure while someone's watching.  

4 hours ago, section314 said:

Darnold has above average arm strength, he can make every throw. Of all the issues he has, this isn't one of them.

That is absolutely false. Look how much success the WRs had on deep balls when Flacco was starting. Darnold throws floaters. True arm strength is firm with arc. I have yet to see one Darnold laser in his career and if I’m wrong show me the clip.

• Upvote 2