Not addressing the Offensive Line in free agency has me thinking that the Jets will address it early on in the draft

Alka

The Jets offensive line in 2020 had an overall PFF ranking of 29th in the NFL.  Worse than that, they were considered the worst team (32nd) in the NFL in allowing pressure on the quarterback. In addition, the Jets averaged 1.1 yards per carry before contact, which was ranked 30th in the NFl.

This would indicate to me that by not signing anyone of significance in free agency, they will go hard in the draft.  Penei Sewell, anyone?

Let's say that the Jets do what most fans want, which is to draft Wilson with the #2 pick.  

What does that mean for the running game?  It means that the Jets will be awful again, and that our new rookie QB will be scrambling for his life if he remains in the pocket.

I can hear it now:  the Jets will use the 23rd pick and/or the 34th pick on offensive linemen.

Perhaps yes, perhaps not.   Am I wrong?  Someone tell me what the answer is.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Icer said:

IOL at 23 or 34 seems like a safe bet

Whoever we get, that player will need to be plugged into the offense in game #1.

If not, the Jets are setting themselves up for failure once again.  I don't know that we can wait for the #34 pick to address the offensive line.  

I do know that we got Cameron Clarke in the 4th round, and he wasn't good enough to see the field for the entire season in a 2-14 year.  

If we draft Penei Sewell, then that is the answer.  If we don't trade down and pick up multiple picks, and we don't address the offensive line at #2, then I feel that the Jets are playing with fire on trying to improve the offense.

I am at a loss for understanding why the Jets did not pick up at least 1 premium player on the O line in free agency.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the no. 2 pick is such a premium one i don't them using it on a tackle.  if they want a tackle with their highest pick they could trade back more than a few positions.  they may do that if there are more than a couple of qbs they're satisfoed with.

I'd trade back twice but stay inside the Top 12.  Would grab a Pitts, Rashawn Slater, or Waddle.  Then come back later in the Round to hit one of those positions that you didn't hit, and then try to get a dangerous defender to jumpstart the Defense, potentially a CB.

The Jets either need to use the #2 on a QB and then add a 2nd round pick for Darnold, or keep Darnold and monetize the sh!t out of that #2 pick by trading back for compensation that includes additional early picks and a 1st next year.

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If you look at what is going on, it is a repeat of last season. No big money FA signings, a lot of inexpensive  short deals. We aren't  drafting the next new shiny  object, I see trading out of #2.

Yep and I don’t get it. Like are we conceding ANOTHER season? It’s insane 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

unless these guys think that a lot of the failures on offense were attributable to darnold and gase and the OL wasn't that bad.

Really? Our o line is playing well??  Cmon man did you see Darnold running for his life this year?

Just now, kevinc855 said:

Really? Our o line is playing well??  Cmon man did you see Darnold running for his life this year?

i didn't say the OL was playing well.  i said that the coaches/gm could believe that darnold's inability to read defenses contributed to the OL looking worse.  OLs can look better with a better qb.  as for my opinion i think it all stunk.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

i didn't say the OL was playing well.  i said that the coaches/gm could believe that darnold's inability to read defenses contributed to the OL looking worse.  OLs can look better with a better qb.  as for my opinion i think it all stunk.

Quarterbacks look better with a competent offsensive line

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

unless these guys think that a lot of the failures on offense were attributable to darnold and gase and the OL wasn't that bad.

That would be called in my world "pointing fingers!"

Pointing fingers will most likely keep the Jets as a garbage football team. 

Each player, General Manager and head coach all need to point the finger at themselves, and look to fix the problem.  As our GM, Joe Douglas needs to point the finger at himself and recognize that the players he brought in along with Becton was not up to the task.  He needs to fix the problem.

12 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

It would not shock me in the least if we draft three offensive lineman in the draft with one of them being a day one starter. 

Wouldnt' mind this at all.

I'm of the belief that every year you should use at least 1 early to mid round draft pick (rounds 1 - 4) on an O-lineman. Something Mac didn't believe in.

It should be a non-stop investment in the most important position group on the field.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the no. 2 pick is such a premium one i don't them using it on a tackle.  if they want a tackle with their highest pick they could trade back more than a few positions.  they may do that if there are more than a couple of qbs they're satisfoed with.

We're taking a QB at 2.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Quarterbacks look better with a competent offsensive line

The running backs also look better with a competent offensive line.  The Jets were ranked #30 in the NFL in running the football, where initial contact occurred at 1.1 yards on average.

Come to think of it, wide receivers look better with a competent offensive line.  So do tight ends.  

Did you know that when the Jets ran behind Becton, the yards per carry improved by 1.2 yards per carry, according to PFF?

What does that mean?  It means that the Jets need to continue to invest in the offensive line.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Alka said:

The Jets offensive line in 2020 had an overall PFF ranking of 29th in the NFL.  Worse than that, they were considered the worst team (32nd) in the NFL in allowing pressure on the quarterback. In addition, the Jets averaged 1.1 yards per carry before contact, which was ranked 30th in the NFl.

This would indicate to me that by not signing anyone of significance in free agency, they will go hard in the draft.  Penei Sewell, anyone?

Let's say that the Jets do what most fans want, which is to draft Wilson with the #2 pick.  

What does that mean for the running game?  It means that the Jets will be awful again, and that our new rookie QB will be scrambling for his life if he remains in the pocket.

I can hear it now:  the Jets will use the 23rd pick and/or the 34th pick on offensive linemen.

Perhaps yes, perhaps not.   Am I wrong?  Someone tell me what the answer is.

There will be lots of good interior guys available at 23 and 34 and I wanted the Jets to use both of those picks on Olineman.  That's why I would like us to get one of the remaining corners in FA.

30 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This is the problem.  We're once again cornering ourselves with need in the Draft.

OL should have been hit hard in FA with one single replacement player upgrade on the interior IMO.  Whether it was Linsley, Rodney Hudson, Thuney, etc. the Jets should have prioritized that and made a signing, partially offsetting it with a release of someone like Alex Lewis.

Now we're going into the Draft saying, "We must be about to address TE early because Chris Herndon is in his final year, wasn't very good, and Ryan Griffin is a JAG,"  "We must be about to address CB early in the Draft because Bryce Hall looks promising but he's not a #1 and guys like Bless Austin might not even be a #2,"  "We must be about to address WR early in the Draft because this is a passing league and while I like Corey Davis, Mims seems good but we still don't know, and we have guys like Crowder, Cole, etc. all here on only 1 year deals."  In other words, we're trying to do a whole lot with those #23 and #34 picks.... like find 5 starters.

I don't understand the thinking that we blew it with Thuney.  Can't force a guy to play for a 2-14 team if he wants to go to a powerhouse.  Especially if that powerhouse backs up the Brinks truck at his house.

Yes, we have a lot of needs and it's hard to meet them all.  But my goal for the remainder of FA would be to sign Fuller so we can use both of 23 and 34 on OL.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Wouldnt' mind this at all.

I'm of the belief that every year you should use at least 1 early to mid round draft pick (rounds 1 - 4) on an O-lineman. Something Mac didn't believe in.

It should be a non-stop investment in the most important position group on the field.

It's almost as if when you don't draft OL, you force the next GM to cobble together a patchwork line. 

Jarvis Harrison and Brandon Shell in round five and Chuma Edoga in the third over five years of drafts is why we are still building our OL in 2021. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

This is the problem.  We're once again cornering ourselves with need in the Draft.

OL should have been hit hard in FA with one single replacement player upgrade on the interior IMO.  Whether it was Linsley, Rodney Hudson, Thuney, etc. the Jets should have prioritized that and made a signing, partially offsetting it with a release of someone like Alex Lewis.

Now we're going into the Draft saying, "We must be about to address TE early because Chris Herndon is in his final year, wasn't very good, and Ryan Griffin is a JAG,"  "We must be about to address CB early in the Draft because Bryce Hall looks promising but he's not a #1 and guys like Bless Austin might not even be a #2,"  "We must be about to address WR early in the Draft because this is a passing league and while I like Corey Davis, Mims seems good but we still don't know, and we have guys like Crowder, Cole, etc. all here on only 1 year deals."  In other words, we're trying to do a whole lot with those #23 and #34 picks.... like find 5 starters.

We had too many needs to fill them all through free agency. They were always going to have to fill some needs in the draft- the only question was in which positions. That said, I'd feel better if we came out of free agency with at least one above average offensive lineman. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I'd trade back twice but stay inside the Top 12.  Would grab a Pitts, Rashawn Slater, or Waddle.  Then come back later in the Round to hit one of those positions that you didn't hit, and then try to get a dangerous defender to jumpstart the Defense, potentially a CB.

The Jets either need to use the #2 on a QB and then add a 2nd round pick for Darnold, or keep Darnold and monetize the sh!t out of that #2 pick by trading back for compensation that includes additional early picks and a 1st next year.

i think i'd be thinking along the same lines. i know all the draft talk always pumps up this qb or that qb and i want the jets to use a top draft pick on a qb.  i think there will be a guy that can pretty good in the top 10 outside of wilson.  of course if wilson or whomever knocks their socks off then they almost have to use the 2 pick.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, doitny said:

more important than the OL is a cover corner. that should be addressed before the line. we have nobody there now. you can get the OL in the 2nd or 3rd rds.

It should be addressed before the draft, quite frankly.

With guys like Fuller, Sherman, and Adoree Jackson still out there...nickel corners like K’Waun Williams and Brian Poole...Steven Nelson and possibly Marshon Lattimore on the trade block...

Ideally we’d sign Fuller and either re-sign Poole or bring in Williams to replace him.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

It should be addressed before the draft, quite frankly.

With guys like Fuller, Sherman, and Adoree Jackson still out there...nickel corners like K’Waun Williams and Brian Poole...Steven Nelson and possibly Marshon Lattimore on the trade block...

Ideally we’d sign Fuller and either re-sign Poole or bring in Williams to replace him.

i agree, but i dont think Bargen Basement Douglas will bring in somebody that will be much better than we have. 

• Post of the Week 1