Not addressing the Offensive Line in free agency has me thinking that the Jets will address it early on in the draft

Alka

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I don't understand the thinking that we blew it with Thuney.  Can't force a guy to play for a 2-14 team if he wants to go to a powerhouse.  Especially if that powerhouse backs up the Brinks truck at his house.

Yes, we have a lot of needs and it's hard to meet them all.  But my goal for the remainder of FA would be to sign Fuller so we can use both of 23 and 34 on OL.

I wouldn't say we blew it with Thuney but an argument could made that we blew it addressing the IOL this period.  Let's be real... we've got a group of veteran JAGs (Lewis, GVR, McGovern, Andrews) and it doesn't look like JD's 4th round pick, Cameron Clark, has given anyone confidence that he can earn a starting spot in Year 2.  As the team with the most money in FA and a perennially underachieving OLine that may want to draft a rookie QB to develop in 2021, IOL should have been a very important point of emphasis.  I like what we've done at WR so far, but OL is still subpar after 2 free agency periods and 1 draft under Joe Douglas.

1 hour ago, Jet Blast said:

We had too many needs to fill them all through free agency. They were always going to have to fill some needs in the draft- the only question was in which positions. That said, I'd feel better if we came out of free agency with at least one above average offensive lineman. 

Yup, it's about priorities.  Of course the Jets have a ton of needs up and down the roster and in almost every position group (even DLine which many of us thought of a strong point but now became a need because of the transition to the 4-3).  The Jets aren't going to fill every need in FA, even with borderline average players.... but what should the focus have been?  Could we have gone another year without a $15M per year DE/Edge rusher in Lawson so that some of that money could be used on the OLine?  My opinion is yes simply because of two facts: 1.) It's looking increasingly likely the Jets may take a QB at #2 and nobody wants to develop at QB behind a bad OLine  2.) We've seen this movie before, just the past two years.  Darnold may have his own problems and not be a good QB, and the coaching was bad, but a very subpar OLine also played some role (10%, 30%, etc?) in Sam's poor development and lack of success.

Make OLine a priority for whoever the next guy is under Center.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

7524BC8E-587D-4CEE-B684-E5BD0C630456.jpeg.fa3eab684c78c056405eb7939c8e5e8f.jpeg

Like him, but there's even some talk he may not be the first OLineman taken.  Rashawn Slater looks like an excellent and versatile prospect, and he played last season instead of sitting out like Sewell.  I still the Sewell is the first OLman taken, but it's not a slam dunk.

• Sympathy 1

We need guards, and a center, and I believe those can be had in late 1 or early 2, so it's not that big of a problem that we didn't get Thuney or Linsley. I would have liked one at least, but Tucker, Slater, Smith, or Davis (at least 2 of them) can be had in this draft.

It would probably need to be done with a trade down or 2, but it's not out of realm of possibilities. Also, we can still get a WR as well. If we can pick up Fuller that was just let go by Bears, that would allow us to pass on CB high up. Again, there are a ton of possibilities with a few trade downs, and still getting good starting worthy players.

I just read about QB Mills from Stanford, he could be had in the 3rd I believe as well. I've already done a few mocks with trading down twice and still picking up a good QB.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This is the problem.  We're once again cornering ourselves with need in the Draft.

OL should have been hit hard in FA with one single replacement player upgrade on the interior IMO.  Whether it was Linsley, Rodney Hudson, Thuney, etc. the Jets should have prioritized that and made a signing, partially offsetting it with a release of someone like Alex Lewis.

Now we're going into the Draft saying, "We must be about to address TE early because Chris Herndon is in his final year, wasn't very good, and Ryan Griffin is a JAG,"  "We must be about to address CB early in the Draft because Bryce Hall looks promising but he's not a #1 and guys like Bless Austin might not even be a #2,"  "We must be about to address WR early in the Draft because this is a passing league and while I like Corey Davis, Mims seems good but we still don't know, and we have guys like Crowder, Cole, etc. all here on only 1 year deals."  In other words, we're trying to do a whole lot with those #23 and #34 picks.... like find 5 starters.

They're either taking a QB #2 overall or they're trading down. If they go QB, pick #23 is almost certainly the best IOL on the board. If they trade down and add more picks, they'll take more OL. There's no doubt that they have a need, and I was also very much hoping for one big free agent on the OL this year, but Joe D got priced out of his safe zone and I'm okay with that until I find out that it didn't work. We've won way too many bidding wars with **** results around here way too many times to keep going back to that same well. 

If they make a major buy on one of these CBs, that'll free them to force an OL pick if they have to. They will've filled edge, WR (x2), CB, leaving the OL the only need left to hit. The beauty with interior OL, too, as @clayton163v has pointed out, you can find rookie starters into the fourth round and beyond in the draft. I expect to see JD to keep picking up players he feels are the best value, trying to eliminate as many needs he has.

The Jets are the fat chick at the end of the bar right now. Some of these fancier dudes just want nothing to do with her but, once the market dries up and she's the only one out there offering anything, some of those guys are gonna come calling. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

i didn't say the OL was playing well.  i said that the coaches/gm could believe that darnold's inability to read defenses contributed to the OL looking worse.  OLs can look better with a better qb.  as for my opinion i think it all stunk.

nah......the oline was sh*te. 
30% of dropbacks where they allowed pressure in under 2.5 seconds (worst in the league)

1.1 yds per rush before contact (worst in the league)

overall rankings of 30/32 i believe (might have been 29/32)

anyway they were sh*te

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slats said:

They're either taking a QB #2 overall or they're trading down. If they go QB, pick #23 is almost certainly the best IOL on the board. If they trade down and add more picks, they'll take more OL. There's no doubt that they have a need, and I was also very much hoping for one big free agent on the OL this year, but Joe D got priced out of his safe zone and I'm okay with that until I find out that it didn't work. We've won way too many bidding wars with **** results around here way too many times to keep going back to that same well. 

If they make a major buy on one of these CBs, that'll free them to force an OL pick if they have to. They will've filled edge, WR (x2), CB, leaving the OL the only need left to hit. The beauty with interior OL, too, as @clayton163v has pointed out, you can find rookie starters into the fourth round and beyond in the draft. I expect to see JD to keep picking up players he feels are the best value, trying to eliminate as many needs he has.

The Jets are the fat chick at the end of the bar right now. Some of these fancier dudes just want nothing to do with her but, once the market dries up and she's the only one out there offering anything, some of those guys are gonna come calling. 

once they find out how good her bj skills are.......

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, slats said:

@T0mShane

I just can't get upset about them missing on Thuney. He got a monster deal to play with Mahomes, the Jets weren't matching that. There were also some rumors that they might kick him to tackle, which might be something he was also looking for. I thought they should have gone hard after Zeitler, would have been a nice upgrade.

In any case, agreed that we're screwed if GVR and Lewis are our starting guards again going into next season.

• Upvote 1

Well, the Jets signed Feeney. 

Not impressed even though he could be a decent plug until next year.

JD DID whiff on O-line this year. It was a huge need last year, he knew he didn't do a well enough patch job to protect Darnold, this year was an opportunity not to do the same and it seemed like he whiffed. What can you do? Yes, of course we can draft a great Guard or OT (pick 23 or 34). And I do think Fant will benefit from LaFleurs system and McGovern will get better in year 2 with the Jets and Becton will continue to improve. However, the Jets NEEDED a PROVEN vet to solidify at least one of those guard spots- either via FA or trade. We don't know if a rookie will be ready or even bust and you can't risk that with a rookie behind center (especially #2 overall FQB). Just not smart when you have a ton of cap room to work with. Should they have signed Thuney to a 100mil contract? Of course not. But bringing in Feeney, literally that being the only move on the o-line (remember the Jets actually lost Elfein), is not nearly enough.

Trading for Ramscyz or Peat would have been a more appropriate move. Maybe? Hey, I'm just spit-ballin. Hopefully JD still has a couple of moves up his sleeve.  

• Upvote 1

I think it's funny that people know that Gase was the worst coach in the NFL, a poor judge of talent, had no sense of how to put players in a position to win and LOVED to play vets over younger players even if they didn't deserve it....but still think there is no chance that Cameron Clarke may actually be good enough to start this year.

Just because old fish eyes didn't play him doesn't mean he can't play. Maybe we don't need as much as you all think we do on the oline.

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, doitny said:

i agree, but i dont think Bargen Basement Douglas will bring in somebody that will be much better than we have. 

I had so much hope for our new GM, but he hasn't done really anything other than getting rid of Jamal and picking Becton. Idzik 2.0 

The draft will be very disappointing, just going by what we have seen thus far.

Maybe, he will get better in a couple of years.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Alka said:

That would be called in my world "pointing fingers!"

Pointing fingers will most likely keep the Jets as a garbage football team. 

Each player, General Manager and head coach all need to point the finger at themselves, and look to fix the problem.  As our GM, Joe Douglas needs to point the finger at himself and recognize that the players he brought in along with Becton was not up to the task.  He needs to fix the problem.

Or maybe it’s because the Johnsons are the Wilpons of the NFL?  

They don’t have to win, they don’t even need anyone coming to the “state of the art” trash “new” stadium that was built for the team to appreciate in value by huge percentages every year.

5 hours ago, David Harris said:

We'll be fine.  I expect Becton to develop.  Fant to improve as he fits well with outside zone.  Mcgovern's improvement last season will carry over.  OL coach and Shanahan system will be improved and more efficient.  

And the draft.  We ARE taking Zach Wilson at 2.

I expect at least one OL at 23 or 34.

Ideally Vera-Tucker at 23.  If not Jalen Mayfield the Michigan OL who has good versatility and good be a high end Guard and eventually move over to RT.

Also let's see how Cam Clark's redshirt year went.  

We really have 2 big holes at G right now.  One or both will be addressed with a high draft pick.  This is an excellently deep draft for OT's - several of whom could play G as rookies.  The other spot can be adequately filled by Clark, another draft pick this year, or one of our existing G's. 

Let's hold judgment until the roster is set.

I hope you're right.  Would love to see going OL twice at 23 and 34....

@football guy @Mogglez sorry to bother you guys, but either of you hear anything on their thoughts on Clark?  Is he a guy they might have penciled in as a starter?  Might explain the lack or urgency here.

JD's mistakes were not in not getting Conklin, Thuney or Linsley. 

They were not in signing Fant or even Van Roten.  As someone else said, Van Roten filled a position and helped get the 2 pick, and Fant helped ensure Darnold was not crippled, hurting his trade value. 

Paying Kalil $9mm of valuable cap room?  Mistake.  Not drafting at least 2 more OL from the last draft?  Mistake.  Not signing Zeitler and instead signing Feeney?  Mistake.

JD has no other choice than to draft OL until it it fixed fast.  Then he can draft RB, S, QB.  Edge he can draft, if Zuniga turns out decent.  He could in this system.  

19 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Yup, it's about priorities.  Of course the Jets have a ton of needs up and down the roster and in almost every position group (even DLine which many of us thought of a strong point but now became a need because of the transition to the 4-3).  The Jets aren't going to fill every need in FA, even with borderline average players.... but what should the focus have been?  Could we have gone another year without a $15M per year DE/Edge rusher in Lawson so that some of that money could be used on the OLine?  My opinion is yes simply because of two facts: 1.) It's looking increasingly likely the Jets may take a QB at #2 and nobody wants to develop at QB behind a bad OLine  2.) We've seen this movie before, just the past two years.  Darnold may have his own problems and not be a good QB, and the coaching was bad, but a very subpar OLine also played some role (10%, 30%, etc?) in Sam's poor development and lack of success.

Make OLine a priority for whoever the next guy is under Center.

I agree, with one noteworthy exception. I keep hearing that an edge rusher is the motor that drives Saleh's defense. If his defense is to properly function, an edge rusher is critical.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I hope you're right.  Would love to see going OL twice at 23 and 34....

@football guy @Mogglez sorry to bother you guys, but either of you hear anything on their thoughts on Clark?  Is he a guy they might have penciled in as a starter?  Might explain the lack or urgency here.

Information about Clark and Morgan is kept in a vault somewhere. Every time I search for anything about these two, nothing comes up. I can't figure out how a 2-12 team can't find snaps for draft picks. Were they injured?

• Haha 1

It is becoming more and more apparent to me that we will hit hard and early with offensive linemen in the draft.  The Jets just loaded up on the defensive line, where the Jets weren't in desperate need, and did nothing for the offensive line, except for a backup guard/center.

If they were to drat Wilson at #2, they certainly would have gotten at least 1 starter for the offensive line in free agency.  They will not start the year with Van Roten at one guard position, and Lewis at the other guard position.  They may keep Fant, but he was not good as a run blocker.

Darnold will be the starter, period.  Please don't tell me that they will hope that they can get a starting lineman at #34.  They may draft one at 34, but there is no guarantee that that person will be a day #1 starter.  The Jets still need a cornerback, and my thinking is that they will get one at #23 if they feel there is a starting caliber player at that spot.