Opinion: the Jets revamped receiver group points to Zach Wilson

5 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think drafting Wilson and keeping Sam is a great idea.

• Let Sam start the season

• Let the rookie learn

• Increase Sam’s trade value

• Or Sam goes ballistic pro bowl level and you have both QB’s as a trade chips.

that certainly would be the best case scenario

26 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

@football guy@Mogglez

Abert Breer thinks Darnold is traded

Adam Schefter has said his "belief and sense" is that Darnold is traded

Chris Mortenson has said If Zach Wilson checks the boxes at his pro day Darnold will be traded

Connor Rodgers who has sources in building believes strongly Darnold is traded

Ustadium  who has sources in building believes Darnold will be traded

Jason Laconfera hears from executives and General managers that Jets will pick Zack Wilson and not even entertain offers for #2 pick

Perer King believes Darnold will be traded

Connor Hughes believes Darnold traded and Wilson drafted

Rich Cimini has done a 180 now beleiving Darnold traded and Douglas likes Zach Wilson

Craig Carton who knows someone in the building believes Darnold has played his last game with the Jets

Unless Joe Douglas has performed the ultimate con job it is not a matter of if but when.

I believe this will be the case as well.  Like I said, one person told me 2 weeks 60/40 in favor of Sam, and the other said Wednesday that he believes Sam will be dealt.  Personally, I’m inclined to believe that Sam will be dealt, given how much those odds keep inching closer and closer to swinging the other way.

• Upvote 2

If we are following the Green Bay / Titans Matt LaFleur scheme, could Najee Harris be an option at 23? We’ve been kind of thinking 49ers...speed guys. Harris could be our Henry. Just need a couple more pieces along the OL.

Wouldn’t a more run heavy Green Bay offense just be the Titans offense under LaFleur and Arthur Smith?

59 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

If we are following the Green Bay / Titans Matt LaFleur scheme, could Najee Harris be an option at 23? We’ve been kind of thinking 49ers...speed guys. Harris could be our Henry. Just need a couple more pieces along the OL.

Wouldn’t a more run heavy Green Bay offense just be the Titans offense under LaFleur and Arthur Smith?

I believe the Jets could pick Najee Harris with 23 or 34, pick a WR or CB with the other, and take the 2 best Gs or Cs in the third round and have a much better team.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, section314 said:

Call me crazy, but this tells me Morgan is gonna get more of a look than people think.

Morgan is going to get a real good look.

For anyone looking at field # 2 in training camp that is.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Interesting take. My first thought was it meant they are going OL with the first pick. I've never seen Wilson play and dont know if he's a good guy or bad guy or any of that. But the one thing I've learned about JD is that he doesnt like drama. If there is any of that with Wilson I dont think he'll take him. 

• WTF? 1

10 hours ago, football guy said:

I'm going to preface this by saying it is just an opinion; I have no inside information here, haven't asked anyone a question yet (I intend to), and is purely based on my own personal observations. With that said, if the adds of Corey Davis and Keelan Cole indicate anything, it's that we should not expect this to be a San Francisco-style short-passing offense. Whether or not that means a change at QB is coming, I don't know, but its my opinion that this personnel meshes better with Zach Wilson's game than Sam Darnold's. 

I don't want to make this about "whose better" because truthfully, we don't know who is. Darnold could end up being an All-Pro and Wilson a bust for all we know, so I'm just going to focus on the playing styles and skill-sets. 

Both Sam Darnold and Zach Wilson are great athletes at the QB position and have an uncanny ability to make incredible throws into windows that no one thought was possible. It's not because of their arm strength, it's instincts and field vision. It's their ability to move and throw on the run and make these occasional "how did he do that" throws that appeals most to the "Shanahan tree" of coaches. Both QBs have an erratic trait because they're so natural outside of structure, and the Shanahan system does a phenomenal of channeling those abilities within structure. I know that sounds like an oxymoron but that's the best way I can describe it. But while Darnold and Wilson have the baseline similarities that the "Shanahan" system requires/desires, the two QBs are stylistically different. 

Sam Darnold has plenty of arm and is capable of making spectacular throws deep both within structure and outside of it, but he finds his rhythm on the move, off-platform, hitting receivers in the short-intermediate section of the field. Sam is at his best in chaotic situations where he can escape and make a play; for whatever reason it gets him more focused than the mundane QB tasks. He is not a rhythmic deep/contested ball passer and is much more natural throwing to receivers in stride. Unlike Sam, Zach Wilson gets in a rhythm by throwing deep passes. He's not quite as natural throwing off-platform as Sam, but he can. He's not as natural as Sam is escaping pressure, but he's similarly good at throwing on the run. I wouldn’t call his arm strength rare, but his instincts and accuracy on deep throws are. He doesn’t hesitate to put the ball in the air in contested situations. I'm not going to throw the stats out there, so you're going to have to trust me when I say that’s Denzel Mims (6'3", 207), that’s Corey Davis (6'3", 209), that’s Keelan Cole (6'1", 194). All of these guys have a deep-ball element to their game, and have thrived in contested situations. To an extent, that would explain why Perriman was still an option to return (which had legs; I don’t think it’s a coincidence he signed with Detroit after the Cole deal was announce). 

Ultimately, Douglas makes the call on who the team signs, and as we've come to learn, Davis was his top WR. At first, I saw that as a signal Douglas was favoring his scouting instincts, and that if the Jets were running a SF-style passing offense, that would mean Denzel Mims may have a relegated role. Both Davis and Mims are "X" receivers in the Kyle Shanahan offense, and if you looked at the last time Kyle Shanahan had a receiver like them, it was Julio Jones. He used Julio in a variety of different ways that no other coaches had used him before - mostly on play-action attempts over the middle. That's what Davis thrives at in the present, and with Mims still needing to develop I kind of wondered how they could incorporate Mims if Davis was the primary X. What I didn't consider (and should have) is that while there has been some disagreement on how the coaches and front office ranked receivers, Douglas is not the type of GM to dismiss the coaches input and he's not the type to give up on a talent like Mims quickly. He knows what the coaching staff is looking to build, and that very well be an offense more similar to his brother’s than his mentor’s. 

The “San Francisco offense” they’re going to bring may be my name only; it may be schematically similar, but the play-calling philosophy may be different. I think they’re going to run the ball a ton (putting stock into receivers who can block), they’re going to implement the outside zone, they will add some elements of Kyle’s passing scheme, and they will be among the league leaders in play-action passing attempts, but if I’m evaluating these receiver adds on the surface, I see a LaFleur offense that’s going to attack downfield far more often then his mentor, and most likely taking pages out of his brother Matt’s [Packers] playbook. 

The Packers also run a variation of the Shanahan scheme, but unlike the 49ers, they were the most prolific deep ball passing team in the league in 2020 (comparatively, the 49ers were among the least productive and attempted among the least amount of deep balls over the past few years); that’s what happens when you have one of the games best deep ball passers in Aaron Rodgers. Take a look at the 2020 stats to see what I mean. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 11.57.28 PM

There’s that old saying, “adapt or die.” The only way to be successful in any walk of life is by being adaptable. That’s no different I’m coaching; if you can’t adjust to your talent, you won’t succeed. Regardless who the QB is, Denzel Mims is a real asset, and I hope the team realizes they can’t let his talent go to waste just because he doesn’t fit a certain scheme (he wouldn’t fit the SF Shanahan offense as well as an offense that attacks vertically more consistently). Corey Davis and Keelan Cole are more versatile, but they too have shown flashes of consistency as deep/contested ball receivers. As I began, I'm going to say again that I have no inside information here, just purely my perspective, but if the Jets plan on maximizing all of their receivers skill-sets, my intuition tells me that LaFleur will be running the Shanahan offense with a “Green Bay” twist—it won’t be as pass-heavy as his brother Matt LaFleur’s offense, but similarly, will implement a lot of vertical passing. There's a reason why some compare Zach Wilson to Aaron Rodgers, and it's not because he has the freakish arm that Aaron does, but it's because they have the same playing style. 

If we're to evaluate these moves on the surface, I would think that this receiving group is a better fit for what a QB with the playing style of Zach Wilson rather than Sam Darnold. We should know if that's the case soon enough. 

A great read and I appreciate the effort.  I just do not rate Zach Wilson as the #2 pick.  Cannot see it.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

What the Jets do (or don't) at RB, FB, and TE might tell me more about the style of offense they want to run moreso than the WRs we sign, particularly the WRs on one-year deals.

We will run the Shanahan running scheme but passing will be like Green Bay's

8 hours ago, clayton163v said:

A great read and I appreciate the effort.  I just do not rate Zach Wilson as the #2 pick.  Cannot see it.

That’s JD’s dilemma. He has to decide if Zach Wilson is the guy he wants to hitch his career to. If not, he’ll trade down and profit. It won’t be Sewell. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, slats said:

That’s JD’s dilemma. He has to decide if Zach Wilson is the guy he wants to hitch his career to. If not, he’ll trade down and profit. It won’t be Sewell. 

While I tend to agree I think it’s a bit more complicated..

Because by passing on Wilson you’re essentially attaching your career to Darnold.

It’s not longer just Mac’s QB it’s now his too.  I think ultimately that’s why it was always going to trade Sam and draft QB at 2.  That was the conclusion he would ultimately come to.  

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

While I tend to agree I think it’s a bit more complicated..

Because by passing on Wilson you’re essentially attaching your career to Darnold.

It’s not longer just Mac’s QB it’s now his too.  I think ultimately that’s why it was always going to trade Sam and draft QB at 2.  That was the conclusion he would ultimately come to.  

He wouldn't be, though. He'd just be giving Darnold one last chance while he took everything he got for that #2 pick (conservatively, say Carolina's #8, 39, 73, and 2022 #1), and building out the rest of the team. If Darnold continues to struggle, they let him walk and have three first round picks in 2022 to address the QB situation. Putting off the QB decision another year gives him another pass. It's once he makes that call that the clock starts to run. 

I've said all along that if he loves one of the QBs he should just take him at #2, but if he doesn't -if he has serious concerns- he shouldn't. If he takes Wilson, that's his career defining move. If he rolls it back with Sam, he's just putting off his career defining move. That's why they're all going to watch Zach's pro day to analyze every throw, every word that comes out of his mouth, every facial tic, everything. Because that QB could be the guy that JD, Saleh, and LaFleur are betting their careers on. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, win4ever said:

I'm going to agree that it fits a certain mold of QB, I'm going to disagree that it's Wilson.  

I feel like they are going for analytical separation on the field for receivers.  Both Cole/Davis performed well in those aspects, but neither are speed demons.  All of them are intermediate guys that can get deep with double moves, which take longer to develop.  In Davis' case, it was helped by Henry, and in Cole's case, Robinson to an extent.  

I don't think they are going for the Wilson approach, because that's more in line with how the Chiefs set up their roster.  One short yardage/intermediate guy (Kelce), and then vertical threats galore.  Essentially the allure of Wilson is that you would either have to play Tampa 2 or any variation of having 2 deep safeties (ala Bucs in the SB) or the QB will sit back there and pick you apart because they have guys that can run by one on one match ups.  

We seem to be going more towards the intermediate separation, which is what the Rams have been focusing on, getting good route runners to create pockets, without just being all about the verticals.  That intermediate game doesn't scream Wilson to me because his one big strength is his deep ball aggressiveness (to a detriment at times).   

I think it's shading more towards Fields/Jones and to an extent Darnold.  

I'm on the record thinking it's going to be Fields as the pick, because the guys they've picked up are very good run blockers are well.  The overall idea being that a good running game is key to the mismatches in a Shanahan system.  However, the addition of a mobile QB (and Wilson is of the Darnold/Mayfield - oh look they can run ilk) adds another dimension to the scheme's versatility.  I don't think Wilson's mobility translates into the NFL like Fields, while both of them have very accurate deep passing arms.  

Obviously too early to tell if there are other moves, but I'm not sure it indicates Wilson.  If it were Wilson for sure, I think we would have gone after Fuller harder, and maybe even Samuels.  I think they are going after someone who can be deadly accurate in the intermediate area (I believe Fields is better than Wilson on this, Jones is probably the best) that can still keep the vertical threat.  By scouting, Darnold should fit that perfectly, but his downfield passing has gone wayward lately.  

As you mentioned, just my opinion, could be completely wrong.  

Good post and I tend to agree, not simply because I prefer Fields over Wilson but because I dont see a vertical attacking game at all on this roster.  

If you look at Corey Davis and his career splits, it tells a story.  He does 90% of his damage on 2nd down, passing friendly downs.  When it gets into 3rd and long, he only has 24 catches on his career.  To be more specific 150 catches in his career on 1st/2nd, 54 on 3rd.  Now, there are reason for that but it also speaks to how they've used him.  He also only has like 2 catches in his career over 50 yards.  He is not a take the top off option.

I'm not even going to break down Cole because you dont sign a receiver for 1 year because you have plans for a QB you're drafting.  Who knows if they even have plans to start the rookie QB day 1.  

Mims and Crowder are not vertical threats and there isnt a TE on the roster who can take the top off.  So I agree, and while I admit it's probably wishful thinking, I dont see how these moves indicate anything, really.

• Upvote 2

It appears to me that Douglas is a value GM.  He doesn't fall in love and reach.   Sam will be kept because it goes against Douglas's mind set to accept the sunk cost.  He still has a free year with Sam.  The abundance of QB needy teams make the 2 pick a high value chip.  

The WR we signed were signed because they were relatively cheap and they were willing to come here.   Good post but I feel it's overthinking by miles.  The Jets have a bad roster and Douglas is getting guys who he can temporarily plug in until he can replace them with drafted players over the next couple of years.  

I would be very surprised if Douglas drafts Wilson at 2.    

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Good post and I tend to agree, not simply because I prefer Fields over Wilson but because I dont see a vertical attacking game at all on this roster.  

If you look at Corey Davis and his career splits, it tells a story.  He does 90% of his damage on 2nd down, passing friendly downs.  When it gets into 3rd and long, he only has 24 catches on his career.  To be more specific 150 catches in his career on 1st/2nd, 54 on 3rd.  Now, there are reason for that but it also speaks to how they've used him.  He also only has like 2 catches in his career over 50 yards.  He is not a take the top off option.

I'm not even going to break down Cole because you dont sign a receiver for 1 year because you have plans for a QB you're drafting.  Who knows if they even have plans to start the rookie QB day 1.  

Mims and Crowder are not vertical threats and there isnt a TE on the roster who can take the top off.  So I agree, and while I admit it's probably wishful thinking, I dont see how these moves indicate anything, really.

Wasn't Mims the fastest WR at the 2020 combine? If not, he was right up there.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, GreenFish said:

This is really something to consider, because we have not addressed RB whatsoever and while I like Ty Johnson as a backup and think he is a good fit in the system, we need an actual starting RB.

To me Najee is worth the 23rd pick due to the combination of his size and ability as a receiver, hes a much of a "3 down RB" as you are going to find.

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  I don’t see how the receivers signed thus far indicate anything, besides there is still the draft and other free agents on the street that could be, and will be added.  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, slats said:

He wouldn't be, though. He'd just be giving Darnold one last chance while he took everything he got for that #2 pick (conservatively, say Carolina's #8, 39, 73, and 2022 #1), and building out the rest of the team. If Darnold continues to struggle, they let him walk and have three first round picks in 2022 to address the QB situation. Putting off the QB decision another year gives him another pass. It's once he makes that call that the clock starts to run. 

I've said all along that if he loves one of the QBs he should just take him at #2, but if he doesn't -if he has serious concerns- he shouldn't. If he takes Wilson, that's his career defining move. If he rolls it back with Sam, he's just putting off his career defining move. That's why they're all going to watch Zach's pro day to analyze every throw, every word that comes out of his mouth, every facial tic, everything. Because that QB could be the guy that JD, Saleh, and LaFleur are betting their careers on. 

I agree with much of your second paragraph, except they have spent time with Wilson already in Zoom interviews.  He has their playbook, they've checked him out personally.  I really do feel like seeing him up close and live on the pro day is more of a final due diligence thing - check that last box.  But you're right, their careers will be tied to him, so taking the pro-day step before moving on from Sam is worth losing a 2nd round pick and getting a 3rd instead,  if that's what ti comes down to.

Where I'll disagree is I think it's worse for JD (less so Saleh) than you're making it out to be with their connection to Sam.  Just imagine if they roll with Sam and start out 0-3.  The fan base, the media, talk radio etc (even the Sam lovers)  will be calling for his head.  God forbid Wilson looks good somewhere else too.  He might not get to pick his QB.

• Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

@football guy@Mogglez

Abert Breer thinks Darnold is traded

Adam Schefter has said his "belief and sense" is that Darnold is traded

Chris Mortenson has said If Zach Wilson checks the boxes at his pro day Darnold will be traded

Connor Rodgers who has sources in building believes strongly Darnold is traded

Ustadium  who has sources in building believes Darnold will be traded

Jason Laconfera hears from executives and General managers that Jets will pick Zack Wilson and not even entertain offers for #2 pick

Perer King believes Darnold will be traded

Connor Hughes believes Darnold traded and Wilson drafted

Rich Cimini has done a 180 now beleiving Darnold traded and Douglas likes Zach Wilson

Craig Carton who knows someone in the building believes Darnold has played his last game with the Jets

Unless Joe Douglas has performed the ultimate con job it is not a matter of if but when.

It may very well happen. But one thing that’s been obvious the past few months is QB chatter, speculation drives eyeballs, ears and clicks. That has been the only thing the media has focused on when it comes to the NFL. 

34 minutes ago, slats said:

Macc probably thought similar in 2017. Pass on a QB that year to evaluate what you have, build out the rest of the roster and if it doesn't work, just draft your guy in 2018. Move up and use use draft capital if you have to. He was out of a job in 2019. 

If Douglas passes on Wilson/Fields, as Macc did with Watson/Mahomes, and Darnold continues to struggle, Joe is on the hot seat next year. And having made a mess of evaluating the QB options that are available now, including Sam, how confident would anyone be that he gets it right with a weaker QB class in 2022? 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I was hoping the addition of quality blocking WR's, like C. Davis and K. Cole, would mean that J.D. is leaning towards more of a dual threat QB like Fields.

#JustDraftJustin

This offense will have an aggressive running game.  Good blocking is important for running backs too.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, section314 said:

Wasn't Mims the fastest WR at the 2020 combine? If not, he was right up there.

Henry Ruggs and Quez Watkins, Mims was just behind them with someone else.  Dont get me wrong, he's fast, doesnt mean he's a vertical threat.  He seems like more a move the chains, make the tough contested balls in the intermediate range kind o guy to me, rather then a just go vert and get it kind of guy.  Could be wrong but that's what I saw last year and you what you saw on his college tape.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, slats said:

Y’all are being too melodramatic. This QB decision is the biggest one to date for JD and Co but it’s not life or death. At least, it shouldn’t be. The outcome is too random.

If the Jets make steady progress, implement a sensible plan and build a solid roster it may take more than one at bat to pick the QB and that should be ok.

The rookie QB, whichever one you like, is riskier so I predict JD sticks with Sam and tries to trade back. He doesn’t strike me as a gambler. More tortoise than hare.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Macc probably thought similar in 2017. Pass on a QB that year to evaluate what you have, build out the rest of the roster and if it doesn't work, just draft your guy in 2018. Move up and use use draft capital if you have to. He was out of a job in 2019. 

If Douglas passes on Wilson/Fields, as Macc did with Watson/Mahomes, and Darnold continues to struggle, Joe is on the hot seat next year. And having made a mess of evaluating the QB options that are available now, including Sam, how confident would anyone be that he gets it right with a weaker QB class in 2022? 

Of course.  This is so obvious.   They're not passing on a QB at 2.

16 hours ago, football guy said:

I don't put much weight into the so-called leaks; so much of them are just informed speculation. I put weight into the people I've spoken to personally, people who are paid to know, and they had reason to believe Sam would be back as of last week. I'll absolutely follow up in about a week to see if things changed, especially with Wilson's pro-day nearing close.  

Personally, I believe that drafting Wilson is more risky but can reap more reward. People who say bringing back Darnold is risky simply say so from an emotional perspective that is ultra-focused on finding a "franchise QB", but I don't see that at all nor do I think the Jets. By sticking with Darnold, the staff gets a crack at 2 young QBs instead of one; if Darnold fails, it won't be their fault and they'll get a second swing taking their "own" QB. It also gives them the opportunity to expedite the rebuild of the roster by investing all that capital in positions around the QB. If Darnold succeeds great! If not, they can plop in a QB of their choosing whether it be a veteran or a draft pick.

With Wilson, he's your guy, and you're sinking or swimming with him (unless Woody Johnson becomes like the Bears ownership, which I don't see being the case). If they go this route they're still well positioned to build around the QB considering the draft capital they accumulated, but it wouldn't be as expedited. 

I've said it in other posts, I think Wilson is a phenomenal prospect. I would take him over Trevor Lawrence in a vacuum. But with that, the information I have counters that and I understand that the Jets can build a long-term and sustainable talent base better by trading down from #2 than they could by drafting a QB at #2.

I don't want to come off as someone whose playing the middle, but the truth is I will be happy with Darnold or Wilson. I think the Jets will be a better football team in the short-and-long term if they trade down, I think the Jets have the potential to land the next great QB if they take Wilson. Both are appealing to me. What I won't be happy with is drafting a QB not-named-Wilson or sticking at #2 and taking a non-QB. The good news is I'm 99.99% sure neither happens. To add another layer to this, I would really love Watson here too, but I'm trading Darnold, the Seahawks' two-first round picks (2021/2022), and our 2nd. That's it. I'm not going to destroy the chance to build a sustainable winner for one player, no matter how good I think he is. Watson was just on a football team with more talent and better coaching than we had and they won 4 games. What makes anyone think he comes here and leads us to a Super Bowl if we mortgage valuable draft capital/defensive stars for him? Ain't happening. 

I like your point about keeping Darnold leaves them the chance later to draft their own guy, after acquiring much needed draft capital.  Do you think, or do they think Morgan has any potential?

1 minute ago, Jethead said:

Y’all are being too melodramatic. This QB decision is the biggest one to date for JD and Co but it’s not life or death. At least, it shouldn’t be. The outcome is too random.

If the Jets make steady progress, implement a sensible plan and build a solid roster it may take more than one at bat to pick the QB and that should be ok.

The rookie QB, whichever one you like, is riskier so I predict JD sticks with Sam and tries to trade back. He doesn’t strike me as a gambler. More tortoise than hare.

GM's get one QB.  That's mostly the way it works.

• Upvote 1