Opinion: the Jets revamped receiver group points to Zach Wilson

22 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Hypothetically, have you thought about whom else this, tweaked version of the west offense (suggested by the Jets wide receiver signings), might fit among the top four or five draft eligible qbs?

In a parallel AFC East universe, in his podcast yesterday with Bucky B., Daniel Jeremiah has suggested, based on New England's tight end and wide receiver signings (along with resigning Cam Newton), that Belichick might well trade up for Trey Lance or Justin Fields. DJ "I know that New England loves Justin Fields as a prospect."

Fields is a baby, Belichick will have him pouting in the bathroom in a week, calling mom and dad to come pick him up.

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

I've said all along that if he loves one of the QBs he should just take him at #2, but if he doesn't -if he has serious concerns- he shouldn't. If he takes Wilson, that's his career defining move. If he rolls it back with Sam, he's just putting off his career defining move. That's why they're all going to watch Zach's pro day to analyze every throw, every word that comes out of his mouth, every facial tic, everything. Because that QB could be the guy that JD, Saleh, and LaFleur are betting their careers on. 

QB Pro day work outs will not change JD's mind. His QB evaluations are already complete and it's based on JD watching every game and play these guys have played in College and maybe including high school. The player can only hurt their standing with a poor or mediocre performance. To be considered a potential FQB at #2 OA the QB's are expected to nail the scripted workout.

Interviews and white board sessions will not change JD's evaluation. Again, a potential FQB at #2 OA is expected to nail the white board session. It's not rocket science and these guy's agents will make sure they have been 'coached up' by former league coaches/GM's and players so they'll know what to expect. Again, they can only hurt their standing if they look bad.

Jets run it back with Sam next season and JD's pick at #2 OA is going to be Sewell. JD will attempt to trade down (which is my hope) but he will not accept any offer that he doesn't feel is, at a minimum, fair value. I don't see a team able to provide that value.

So he keeps the pick and takes Sewell, who has a less than five percent chance of being a bust and has an upside of being a perennial Pro Bowl player who fits the offensive scheme that Salah is going to implement. Dominate OL is soon to be in our future. The LT vs RT argument regarding Sewel and Becton is not valid IMHO. RT's are valued almost as highly as LT's. Sewel starts out at RT and if they find it's best to flip flop them, then so be it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Fields is a baby, Belichick will have him pouting in the bathroom in a week, calling mom and dad to come pick him up.

Belichick might be mellowing in his treatment of younger qbs. Apparently he treated Cam much differently than Brady because Cam needed it; lots of patience, holding back on the constant criticizing...or so the official line goes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

QB Pro day work outs will not change JD's mind. His QB evaluations are already complete and it's based on JD watching every game and play these guys have played in College and maybe including high school. The player can only hurt their standing with a poor or mediocre performance. To be considered a potential FQB at #2 OA the QB's are expected to nail the scripted workout.

Interviews and white board sessions will not change JD's evaluation. Again, a potential FQB at #2 OA is expected to nail the white board session. It's not rocket science and these guy's agents will make sure they have been 'coached up' by former league coaches/GM's and players so they'll know what to expect. Again, they can only hurt their standing if they look bad.

Jets run it back with Sam next season and JD's pick at #2 OA is going to be Sewell. JD will attempt to trade down (which is my hope) but he will not accept any offer that he doesn't feel is, at a minimum, fair value. I don't see a team able to provide that value.

So he keeps the pick and takes Sewell, who has a less than five percent chance of being a bust and has an upside of being a perennial Pro Bowl player who fits the offensive scheme that Salah is going to implement. Dominate OL is soon to be in our future. The LT vs RT argument regarding Sewel and Becton is not valid IMHO. RT's are valued almost as highly as LT's. Sewel starts out at RT and if they find it's best to flip flop them, then so be it.

He’s not taking Sewell. It’s the QB or trade down. 

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, slats said:

He’s not taking Sewell. It’s the QB or trade down. 

Yeah, my preference is to trade down, but I don't see JD taking a trade package that doesn't have what he considers adequate or fair value to pass on a can't miss OT. I don't think any team values Wilson or Fields so highly that they'd sell the farm to trade up to the #2 OA. With the 6 year contract he can afford to play the long game.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JiF said:

Good post and I tend to agree, not simply because I prefer Fields over Wilson but because I dont see a vertical attacking game at all on this roster.  

If you look at Corey Davis and his career splits, it tells a story.  He does 90% of his damage on 2nd down, passing friendly downs.  When it gets into 3rd and long, he only has 24 catches on his career.  To be more specific 150 catches in his career on 1st/2nd, 54 on 3rd.  Now, there are reason for that but it also speaks to how they've used him.  He also only has like 2 catches in his career over 50 yards.  He is not a take the top off option.

I'm not even going to break down Cole because you dont sign a receiver for 1 year because you have plans for a QB you're drafting.  Who knows if they even have plans to start the rookie QB day 1.  

Mims and Crowder are not vertical threats and there isnt a TE on the roster who can take the top off.  So I agree, and while I admit it's probably wishful thinking, I dont see how these moves indicate anything, really.

Yeah, I think we're going for that intermediate area separation because these guys seem more like route technicians opening up space than pure burners.  

I haven't watched Davis in-depth this year because I shut down my Titans blog, but I'm going to take a look at it later in the off-season.  From what I remember, he was used very much in line with play action stems, where zone defenses were held up by the RB decision.  He wasn't that Robby Anderson type where he'd just run the go route, but rather a double move guy on deep passes.  I'm not even sure he's a 4.4 guy from his tape.  He did get a lot better at his route stems this year, because he sucked at it when Mariota was around.  

I can see why people love Wilson.  Before starting to write, I categorized Wilson's tape into a bunch of categories like "Bad Read" or "Staredown" but his biggest category is NFL Throws.  His wow throws are as good as anyone in the class, but he has so many other red flags that I just can't get behind it.  

2 hours ago, win4ever said:

I haven't watched Davis in-depth this year because I shut down my Titans blog, but I'm going to take a look at it later in the off-season.  From what I remember, he was used very much in line with play action stems, where zone defenses were held up by the RB decision.  He wasn't that Robby Anderson type where he'd just run the go route, but rather a double move guy on deep passes.  I'm not even sure he's a 4.4 guy from his tape.  He did get a lot better at his route stems this year, because he sucked at it when Mariota was around.  

FWIW Mims ran a 4.38 which was very close to Robby's clocked time of 4.36.  It's not Perriman-fast, but it's fast enough.

But hell, if we really need to take the top off defenses, let's just bring back Jumbo Elliot for a one-year deal.  

10 hours ago, slats said:

That’s JD’s dilemma. He has to decide if Zach Wilson is the guy he wants to hitch his career to. If not, he’ll trade down and profit. It won’t be Sewell. 

I too share this wishful thinking.  But I doubt that the phone is going to ring with a qualifying offer.  It's just too expensive and the second rate QBs are not worth all that boodle just to get your choice of the pile.  It is a lot of scratch to move to #2.  Will somebody offer a 3d round pick?  Yeah.  If I were them I would too.  But then you must take Sewell.

4 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Yeah, my preference is to trade down, but I don't see JD taking a trade package that doesn't have what he considers adequate or fair value to pass on a can't miss OT. I don't think any team values Wilson or Fields so highly that they'd sell the farm to trade up to the #2 OA. With the 6 year contract he can afford to play the long game.

Why do you think that? There is no way for any of us to know that answer

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Why do you think that? There is no way for any of us to know that answer

Agreed. It's just my opinion. I sure hope some team thinks Wilson or Fields is worth a kings ransom of draft picks and/or young players and offers JD  a deal he can't refuse and then JD pounces on it (like the strong safety where we got 2 1st's and a 3rd). Just don't think it's going to happen.

On draft day we'll find out just how highly currently employed GM's value these QB prospects. I don't give much, if any, credence to the talking heads or the internet tweeter guys who have so called  'sources'.

24 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

I too share this wishful thinking.  But I doubt that the phone is going to ring with a qualifying offer.  It's just too expensive and the second rate QBs are not worth all that boodle just to get your choice of the pile.  It is a lot of scratch to move to #2.  Will somebody offer a 3d round pick?  Yeah.  If I were them I would too.  But then you must take Sewell.

Buddy, I dig your perspective almost all of the time, except that you're a little more OL Above All Else than I generally am. :) 

There's a ton of hype around Zach Wilson right now. Chris Simms ranking him above Lawrence, other people starting to chime in on weaknesses in Lawrence's game. The comparisons of ZW to Rodgers or Mahommes. There are 40 days to go between now and the draft. How much more amplified do you expect these rumblings to get? But whether it's Zach Wilson or the player (almost certainly the QB) some team is targeting, that pick is worth a fortune. Teams give up a lot to get in position to draft their QB. We see it almost every year. If the Jets are passing on a passer this year, they're trading out of that pick for a bounty of picks. Sewell isn't even a consideration. They've already got baseline offers for that pick should JD decide to move it. I guarantee it.  

• Upvote 3

FWIW, I have no idea what JD is thinking.  I believed he would spend more to bring in front line offense FA's if he had definitely decided to take a QB with #2.  He didn't do that.

It seems to me, he very cautiously played it straight down the middle.  His FA activity is mundane.  No Bill Bellicek is he!  He added some players within budget, but didn't try to bring in players who can alter the competitive picture.  Clearly, he wants to do this with the draft.

But if he wants to do this with the draft, does he trade or keep the #2 this year.  Stay tuned...

On 3/19/2021 at 3:25 PM, football guy said:

Here’s what I’ll say on this: if the Jets were to blow two elite scenarios (stick with Darnol, surround the team with talent; draft Wilson), I’d be out as a Jets fan. I don’t care about the stats or analytics; Fields is far inferior

I appreciate the response, and your initial post.  I just think that an offense with an emphasis on blocking and long ball also favors Fields (and maybe more so given his threat as a runner).  Plus, all the reports are consistent with you (Wilson, or trade down and keep Sam), but the media seems to not have been fully on target with the jets interests thus far.   I can understand your preference for Wilson, but I don't see how Fields is far inferior.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

2 hours ago, slats said:

Buddy, I dig your perspective almost all of the time, except that you're a little more OL Above All Else than I generally am. :) 

There's a ton of hype around Zach Wilson right now. Chris Simms ranking him above Lawrence, other people starting to chime in on weaknesses in Lawrence's game. The comparisons of ZW to Rodgers or Mahommes. There are 40 days to go between now and the draft. How much more amplified do you expect these rumblings to get? But whether it's Zach Wilson or the player (almost certainly the QB) some team is targeting, that pick is worth a fortune. Teams give up a lot to get in position to draft their QB. We see it almost every year. If the Jets are passing on a passer this year, they're trading out of that pick for a bounty of picks. Sewell isn't even a consideration. They've already got baseline offers for that pick should JD decide to move it. I guarantee it.  

I hope you're right.   Trading back is the best move for a rebuilding team.  While I like Sewell, my focus on him is less his position than the belief that he is worth the #2 pick.  I truly believe that this years draft is very similar between picks 3-12.  I see little difference in the talent level.  I would trade back twice if i could.  To me the best case scenario is to trade back for value and end up with Chase. 

As for later in the draft, it is time for a "changing of the guard."

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I don’t understand how folks don’t understand this. 

It is us old Jet fans who remember this thinking the year we passed on Orlando Pace and Walter Jones for the exact same reason.  Everybody knew they were stud tackles - just like Sewell.  Both played for more than a decade and are enshrined in Canton.  And we passed on them for draft picks.

I just cannot do it unless I get value for the pick.  As for taking one of the QBs, that is just nuts imo.

and the player we settled on James Farrior had a long and prosperous career.

Finishing higher than Jones & Pace for the unit player of the year

(2nd to Ed Reed for defensive payer of the year) Finished with more

Super Bowl rings than Pace and Jones combined 2

7 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

His best year was 2004 when he made all pro and the pro bowl and made one other pro bowl. He doesn't deserve to be put in the same sentence with Ed Reed.. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

Being that the Jets have the almost indisputable worst history in drafting quarterback talent, it would probably be a sign to take a quarterback with that pick if anyone’s willing to mortgage the next three years of their first round. 

51 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

It is us old Jet fans who remember this thinking the year we passed on Orlando Pace and Walter Jones for the exact same reason.  Everybody knew they were stud tackles - just like Sewell.  Both played for more than a decade and are enshrined in Canton.  And we passed on them for draft picks.

I just cannot do it unless I get value for the pick.  As for taking one of the QBs, that is just nuts imo.

I am an old Jet fan and I can’t take a tackle after I just took a tackle last year, not with the value of the pick. 

Wilson or trade back. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

Henry!  Nice to hear from you. 

You are so right about Farrior being the bomb.  And we let him go after his contract over chump change.  We still should have taken Orlando Pace and called it a day.

On 3/19/2021 at 11:49 AM, football guy said:

I'm going to preface this by saying it is just an opinion; I have no inside information here, haven't asked anyone a question yet (I intend to), and is purely based on my own personal observations. With that said, if the adds of Corey Davis and Keelan Cole indicate anything, it's that we should not expect this to be a San Francisco-style short-passing offense. Whether or not that means a change at QB is coming, I don't know, but its my opinion that this personnel meshes better with Zach Wilson's game than Sam Darnold's. 

I don't want to make this about "whose better" because truthfully, we don't know who is. Darnold could end up being an All-Pro and Wilson a bust for all we know, so I'm just going to focus on the playing styles and skill-sets. 

Both Sam Darnold and Zach Wilson are great athletes at the QB position and have an uncanny ability to make incredible throws into windows that no one thought was possible. It's not because of their arm strength, it's instincts and field vision. It's their ability to move and throw on the run and make these occasional "how did he do that" throws that appeals most to the "Shanahan tree" of coaches. Both QBs have an erratic trait because they're so natural outside of structure, and the Shanahan system does a phenomenal of channeling those abilities within structure. I know that sounds like an oxymoron but that's the best way I can describe it. But while Darnold and Wilson have the baseline similarities that the "Shanahan" system requires/desires, the two QBs are stylistically different. 

Sam Darnold has plenty of arm and is capable of making spectacular throws deep both within structure and outside of it, but he finds his rhythm on the move, off-platform, hitting receivers in the short-intermediate section of the field. Sam is at his best in chaotic situations where he can escape and make a play; for whatever reason it gets him more focused than the mundane QB tasks. He is not a rhythmic deep/contested ball passer and is much more natural throwing to receivers in stride. Unlike Sam, Zach Wilson gets in a rhythm by throwing deep passes. He's not quite as natural throwing off-platform as Sam, but he can. He's not as natural as Sam is escaping pressure, but he's similarly good at throwing on the run. I wouldn’t call his arm strength rare, but his instincts and accuracy on deep throws are. He doesn’t hesitate to put the ball in the air in contested situations. I'm not going to throw the stats out there, so you're going to have to trust me when I say that’s Denzel Mims (6'3", 207), that’s Corey Davis (6'3", 209), that’s Keelan Cole (6'1", 194). All of these guys have a deep-ball element to their game, and have thrived in contested situations. To an extent, that would explain why Perriman was still an option to return (which had legs; I don’t think it’s a coincidence he signed with Detroit after the Cole deal was announce). 

Ultimately, Douglas makes the call on who the team signs, and as we've come to learn, Davis was his top WR. At first, I saw that as a signal Douglas was favoring his scouting instincts, and that if the Jets were running a SF-style passing offense, that would mean Denzel Mims may have a relegated role. Both Davis and Mims are "X" receivers in the Kyle Shanahan offense, and if you looked at the last time Kyle Shanahan had a receiver like them, it was Julio Jones. He used Julio in a variety of different ways that no other coaches had used him before - mostly on play-action attempts over the middle. That's what Davis thrives at in the present, and with Mims still needing to develop I kind of wondered how they could incorporate Mims if Davis was the primary X. What I didn't consider (and should have) is that while there has been some disagreement on how the coaches and front office ranked receivers, Douglas is not the type of GM to dismiss the coaches input and he's not the type to give up on a talent like Mims quickly. He knows what the coaching staff is looking to build, and that very well be an offense more similar to his brother’s than his mentor’s. 

The “San Francisco offense” they’re going to bring may be my name only; it may be schematically similar, but the play-calling philosophy may be different. I think they’re going to run the ball a ton (putting stock into receivers who can block), they’re going to implement the outside zone, they will add some elements of Kyle’s passing scheme, and they will be among the league leaders in play-action passing attempts, but if I’m evaluating these receiver adds on the surface, I see a LaFleur offense that’s going to attack downfield far more often then his mentor, and most likely taking pages out of his brother Matt’s [Packers] playbook. 

The Packers also run a variation of the Shanahan scheme, but unlike the 49ers, they were the most prolific deep ball passing team in the league in 2020 (comparatively, the 49ers were among the least productive and attempted among the least amount of deep balls over the past few years); that’s what happens when you have one of the games best deep ball passers in Aaron Rodgers. Take a look at the 2020 stats to see what I mean. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 11.57.28 PM

There’s that old saying, “adapt or die.” The only way to be successful in any walk of life is by being adaptable. That’s no different I’m coaching; if you can’t adjust to your talent, you won’t succeed. Regardless who the QB is, Denzel Mims is a real asset, and I hope the team realizes they can’t let his talent go to waste just because he doesn’t fit a certain scheme (he wouldn’t fit the SF Shanahan offense as well as an offense that attacks vertically more consistently). Corey Davis and Keelan Cole are more versatile, but they too have shown flashes of consistency as deep/contested ball receivers. As I began, I'm going to say again that I have no inside information here, just purely my perspective, but if the Jets plan on maximizing all of their receivers skill-sets, my intuition tells me that LaFleur will be running the Shanahan offense with a “Green Bay” twist—it won’t be as pass-heavy as his brother Matt LaFleur’s offense, but similarly, will implement a lot of vertical passing. There's a reason why some compare Zach Wilson to Aaron Rodgers, and it's not because he has the freakish arm that Aaron does, but it's because they have the same playing style. 

If we're to evaluate these moves on the surface, I would think that this receiving group is a better fit for what a QB with the playing style of Zach Wilson rather than Sam Darnold. We should know if that's the case soon enough. 

• 3 weeks later...

Now that this is all but confirmed, I figured I'd add a few names to keep an eye out on for during the draft: 

• Jaylen Waddle, Alabama. He's the draft's greatest deep threat, but also a YAC monster. Jets coaches love him, and scouts grade him highly. Don't know if the Jets will be in position to draft him and even if they are, Joe is expected to favor the offensive line. 
  • Kadarius Toney, Florida. Another player the coaches/scouts are high on, he's not as refined as a route runner but has a lot of ability and could be a unique offensive weapon for the offense. Seems unlikely at this point, but the Jets draft board hasn't been finalized yet. 
  • Terrace Marshall, LSU. Fits the profile of a Joe Douglas WR and has the qualities the coaching staff looks for as a short-intermediate-deep receiver. He fits especially well with Wilson because he possesses deep-ball tracking ability and has an added gear to go get the ball. 
  • Rashod Bateman, Minnesota. I'm less confident of the Jets drafting a WR in rounds 1-2 than I was a week ago, but if there was a player I could see Douglas making an exception for it would be Bateman. He's not a speed guy, but he's a complete WR who can play from the slot and is the type of receiver that can improvise down the field when plays break down. He kind of has some JuJu Smith-Schuster in him. 
  • Anthony Schwartz, Auburn. Jets are reportedly interested, but Schwartz is a frustrating prospect... has all the speed in the world but didn't make a lot of big plays on tape. Maybe a QB who attacks deep will maximize his speed on the field. 
  • Jordan Palmer, Tennessee. Another under-the-radar player the Jets have shown interest in, and also someone who succeeds on deep-developing routes. Has the body type Joe Douglas looks for. 
  • Cade Johnson, South Dakota State. Cade Johnson is the poor-man's Jaylen Waddle. Not quite as explosive but makes plays after the catch and just wins. Good go-route receiver and kind of reminds me of Laveranues Coles.  

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

Now that this is all but confirmed, I figured I'd add a few names to keep an eye out on for during the draft: 

• Jaylen Waddle, Alabama. He's the draft's greatest deep threat, but also a YAC monster. Jets coaches love him, and scouts grade him highly. Don't know if the Jets will be in position to draft him and even if they are, Joe is expected to favor the offensive line. 
  • Kadarius Toney, Florida. Another player the coaches/scouts are high on, he's not as refined as a route runner but has a lot of ability and could be a unique offensive weapon for the offense. Seems unlikely at this point, but the Jets draft board hasn't been finalized yet. 
  • Terrace Marshall, LSU. Fits the profile of a Joe Douglas WR and has the qualities the coaching staff looks for as a short-intermediate-deep receiver. He fits especially well with Wilson because he possesses deep-ball tracking ability and has an added gear to go get the ball. 
  • Rashod Bateman, Minnesota. I'm less confident of the Jets drafting a WR in rounds 1-2 than I was a week ago, but if there was a player I could see Douglas making an exception for it would be Bateman. He's not a speed guy, but he's a complete WR who can play from the slot and is the type of receiver that can improvise down the field when plays break down. He kind of has some JuJu Smith-Schuster in him. 
  • Anthony Schwartz, Auburn. Jets are reportedly interested, but Schwartz is a frustrating prospect... has all the speed in the world but didn't make a lot of big plays on tape. Maybe a QB who attacks deep will maximize his speed on the field. 
  • Jordan Palmer, Tennessee. Another under-the-radar player the Jets have shown interest in, and also someone who succeeds on deep-developing routes. Has the body type Joe Douglas looks for. 
  • Cade Johnson, South Dakota State. Cade Johnson is the poor-man's Jaylen Waddle. Not quite as explosive but makes plays after the catch and just wins. Good go-route receiver and kind of reminds me of Laveranues Coles.  

Mixed bag. I’ll walk away from the Jets if they draft Toney before round 3. Bateman I think is a rnd 3 WR but I would at least try to get on board in round 2. Rondale Moore they also like. 

but it’s Terrace Marshall all day long. He profiles as potentially one of the best WR in the draft if he develops 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Mixed bag. I’ll walk away from the Jets if they draft Toney before round 3. Bateman I think is a rnd 3 WR but I would at least try to get on board in round 2. Rondale Moore they also like. 

but it’s Terrace Marshall all day long. He profiles as potentially one of the best WR in the draft if he develops 

Now that we know Wilson will be the QB, really hope the Jets strongly consider Marshall. Not often do you find a guy like him that can play inside-and-out, has length but plays quick, smooth after the catch, and is a deep threat. 

Wilson + Davis/Mims/Marshall/Cole/Crowder(?)/Berrios would be quite the turnover.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

Now that we know Wilson will be the QB, really hope the Jets strongly consider Marshall. Not often do you find a guy like him that can play inside-and-out, has length but plays quick, smooth after the catch, and is a deep threat. 

Wilson + Davis/Mims/Marshall/Cole/Crowder(?)/Berrios would be quite the turnover.

100% he can play anywhere at the position and is as good going after the ball downfield as he is taking a slant for 20+ yards 

25 minutes ago, Cbucco19 said:

@football guy any interest in DArden  or tommy tremble ? 

I do anticipate the team taking a TE at some point. They obviously love Pitts but that's less because he fills a "need" and more because he's a generational pass-catching talent. Don't know where they may strike next... probably 3rd-5th rounds. They've met with Tremble and he would seem to be a fit as that hybrid TE/HB/OW. They had their eye on Noah Gray as well. A player worth keeping an eye on late/in UDFA is Sammis Reyes, a former D1 basketball player who I believe the Jets will take a shot on. 

Haven't heard or read much on Arden. I know he's small and fast; that's about it. 

• Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, football guy said:

Would like to see wich OL prospects they have met or have interest on.

As for the WRs i love me some Marshall, he was the guy that got my attention on the lsu championship run I also love Rondale Moore. I like Waddle but at what price?

• Sympathy 1