Brett Kollman describes Jaelan Phillips as another Watt brother

maury77

On 3/19/2021 at 6:19 PM, maury77 said:

Looks like my dream of drafting Phillips at 23 is slowly fading away ......

Lawson, Quinnen, Rankins/JFM, Phillips

It’s less and less likely but I want it so bad. Need 5 first round QBs, Christian Barmore and at least 4 CBs to go in round 1 for us to get this guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

It’s less and less likely but I want it so bad. Need 5 first round QBs, Christian Barmore and at least 4 CBs to go in round 1 for us to get this guy.

Dude, that would be the New York Sack Exchange 2.0 (cryptocurrency edition)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Phillips at 23 or Ellerson Smith late I can get behind. Would be a sick pass-rushing front. The 49ers for years also prioritized drafting lineman early, so I think it's a possibility if Philips makes it to 23.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

Dude, that would be the New York Sack Exchange 2.0 (cryptocurrency edition)

I like Kwity Paye too but it’s almost as if the world was in love with him but then realized that he only had 11 sacks in 4 seasons. He’s still a good player but his drop is Phillip’s gain.

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

I like Kwity Paye too but it’s almost as if the world was in love with him but then realized that he only had 11 sacks in 4 seasons. He’s still a good player but his drop is Phillip’s gain.

The Penn State kid Oweh starting to sound interesting.

The more I think about it the more I see the Jets trying to get a young edge player on a rookie contract to supplement this line.  Lawson is an expensive FA, Rankins is potentially expensive but short-term, QW will need to be paid in 2 years big time!  Adding a premium pass rusher on a 4-year rookie deal would keep the average cost of this group more manageable.

Who are the pass rushers worthy of 23?  Phillips, Paye, Rousseau?  Anyone else?  What about within the top 34....Is it those guys plus Ojulari?

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The more I think about it the more I see the Jets trying to get a young edge player on a rookie contract to supplement this line.  Lawson is an expensive FA, Rankins is potentially expensive but short-term, QW will need to be paid in 2 years big time!  Adding a premium pass rusher on a 4-year rookie deal would keep the average cost of this group more manageable.

Who are the pass rushers worthy of 23?  Phillips, Paye, Rousseau?  Anyone else?  What about within the top 34....Is it those guys plus Ojulari?

With the FA additions, I don't see the Jets adding to the DL until day 3 now. If they did pick an edge, the guys you mentioned would all be options (Joseph Ossai and Jayson Oweh possibly as well). 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Love Phillips. He could be DROY here like Bosa. 

What are peoples thoughts on these concussions though? He has had 3 already. He may need to retire at any point which is such a scary thought. 

It's a legitimate concern, which is why he isn't a top 5 pick (if not for the concussions, I think he would be in the discussion in the top 5). 

On 4/1/2021 at 1:02 AM, football guy said:

Questions regarding Phillips comes down to the off-the-field stuff: injury history scary (forced to retire at one point), and he has a reputation of being overly fond of the nightlife. Otherwise he's probably one of - if not the - top defender in the draft

I’ve also heard this.   It’s not a coincidence he chose to play in Los Angeles and Miami.   I’d have concerns with him in the NY area.   Also, as you mentioned, his concussion issues are fairly serious.   He’s not a very “clean” prospect, especially when you are looking at selecting him at 23.  

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, maury77 said:

nope

You are not going anywhere.  30+ years following this team (if I have judged your age right).  You have too much invested to just walk away. 

None of us really can; we are serving life sentences.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Lith said:

You are not going anywhere.  30+ years following this team (if I have judged your age right).  You have too much invested to just walk away. 

None of us really can; we are serving life sentences.

I'd also like to add that I hope he sticks around. I think I speak for a lot of us when I say he adds a lot to the discourse here.

• Upvote 3

https://sports.yahoo.com/pass-rushing-prospect-jaelan-phillips-120138998.html?src=rss

Phillips missed his medical check due to Covid. Thats just interesting because the leaks about how well it went or concerns probably happen close to the draft or perhaps we don't even hear it as well. 

He has had meetings with the Steelers including Mike Tomlin who draft right behind us. 

On 3/19/2021 at 6:19 PM, maury77 said:

IDK

I'm a Canes fan, and this is an excellent player, But

He has lots of red flags.  First off the concussions.   I'm not sure of course, but there has been lots of rumors about his work ethic, and off-field behavior.

Woud have mixed feelings about selecting Phillips.  His play would certainly help the D, I'm not sure Douglas will be all in with him.    

Think he could be there at 23 because of the flags.

It's between him & Jenkins @ 23... imo... if Jenkins is on the board I would have to lean towards him but if Phillips is taken that would be okay as well.                                                                                                                                                                                

On 3/19/2021 at 5:19 PM, maury77 said:

Download video
Download video

I feel for your loss...cause it's mine too.

The two players I lusted for in this draft were Kyle Pitts and Jaelan Phillips.  Before the inevitable QB reset position was made.  I was hoping for a Jets trade down just enough to be in position to land Pitts.  Then draft Phillips at #23.  I was like not caring about the QB situation.  Just being selfish and greedy.  I wanted them both!

In many of the mocks that I've posted...Jaelan was picked at #23.   Sometimes at #34.

Don't know if his medical history will still make teams shy away from Phillips, and he drops to #23.  But then it would be up to JD to decide if the medicals make him pass or take Jaelan. 

Of course I'm hoping JD taketh.  Making the pass rush oh so sick 'n scary. 

This is one of my favorites...

image.thumb.png.d56dbb30cbee42625f4c8cb09baf7903.png

• 1 month later...
Guest Bigtruth
On 4/21/2021 at 6:12 AM, GreenReaper said:

I feel for your loss...cause it's mine too.

The two players I lusted for in this draft were Kyle Pitts and Jaelan Phillips.  Before the inevitable QB reset position was made.  I was hoping for a Jets trade down just enough to be in position to land Pitts.  Then draft Phillips at #23.  I was like not caring about the QB situation.  Just being selfish and greedy.  I wanted them both!

In many of the mocks that I've posted...Jaelan was picked at #23.   Sometimes at #34.

Don't know if his medical history will still make teams shy away from Phillips, and he drops to #23.  But then it would be up to JD to decide if the medicals make him pass or take Jaelan. 

Of course I'm hoping JD taketh.  Making the pass rush oh so sick 'n scary. 

This is one of my favorites...

image.thumb.png.d56dbb30cbee42625f4c8cb09baf7903.png

Worst mock draft I have ever seen.  Players  that donut fit the scheme and a bunch of UDFAs.