Report: Keanu Neal Choosing Between Jets and Cowboys

Keanu.jpg

In need of help at linebacker and looking to add a player who will be familiar with the Jets scheme, the Jets are reportedly courting free agent Keanu Neal.   According to NFL insider Josina Anderson, the former safety has narrowed his choices down to the Jets and Cowboys where he’ll make the move to linebacker.

I'm told #Falcons free agent S Keanu Neal is currently deciding between playing WLB for the #Cowboys or the #Jets, per source.

— IG: JosinaAnderson (@JosinaAnderson) March 19, 2021

Having spent that past several seasons in Atlanta, Neal knows Jeff Ulbrich’s defense as he came over from the Falcons to join Robert Saleh with the Jets.

Playing safety with the Falcons, Neal surpassed 100 tackles in three of his five pro seasons but has also missed significant time due to injury.

The post Report: Keanu Neal Choosing Between Jets and Cowboys appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/OK9pCd8KUro

Click here to read the full story...

Here is where I'm confused for the first time in FA.  What's the point of spending on Neal? Are they trading Marcus Maye?  Is Joyner playing slot, a position he sucked at and not FS where he regarded as elite?  Something is up and a domino might be falling soon in Jets land that we didn't not expect

I'd love him opposite of Marcus Maye as our starting SS. 

• In 2016 he was an All-Rookie. 

• In 2017 as a 2nd year player he made the Pro Bowl. 

He doesn't ball hawk but he's an absolute tackling machine; he recorded 222 combined tackles during his first two NFL seasons. 

Yes. In 2018 he suffered an ACL injury. Week one. And in 2019 while still recovering he only played 3 games; ACL stole his 3rd and 4th years. 

But guess what? ATL still brought him back during his 5th year last season and guess what? He absolutely balled out last year (fully recovered) with 100 tackles (14 starts/15 games played). 

And guess what? He's still only 25 years of age heading into his 6th year come 2021. 

I've always loved this kids game because he flys around the field and plays fast. 

After trading Jamal Adams (who I loved) for two 1st's and a 3rd? And to then replace Jamal @ SS with a former Pro-Bowl SS in Keanu Neal (fully healthy) and A+ draft capital? JD would have then done an awesome job @ our SS position. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I'd love him opposite of Marcus Maye as our starting SS. 

• In 2016 he was an All-Rookie. 

• In 2017 as a 2nd year player he made the Pro Bowl. 

He doesn't ball hawk but he's an absolute tackling machine; he recorded 222 combined tackles during his first two NFL seasons. 

Yes. In 2018 he suffered an ACL injury. Week one. And in 2019 while still recovering he only played 3 games; ACL stole his 3rd and 4th years. 

But guess what? ATL still brought him back during his 5th year last season and guess what? He absolutely balled out last year (fully recovered) with 100 tackles (14 starts/15 games played). 

And guess what? He's still only 25 years of age heading into his 6th year come 2021. 

I've always loved this kids game because he flys around the field and plays fast. 

After trading Jamal Adams (who I loved) for two 1st's and a 3rd? And to then replace Jamal @ SS with a former Pro-Bowl SS in Keanu Neal (fully healthy) and A+ draft capital? JD would have then done an awesome job @ our SS position. 

Nice write-up, he will go to Dallas, which would be pretty bad, if his previous d-cord could nor recruit him..

9 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Lol basically what I was gonna say... Hey w many safeties do we need?.... 

New defensive scheme all safeties no brakes.

Tweet specifically says he'll be playing WLB.  He did a ton of last year under Ulbrich in Atlanta.  He has versatility and will see time at safety, but is being courted as a linebacker.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

When we hear about a player rumored to have interest in/from the Jets but not yet signed it has pretty much always gone the other way because it was a leak from the agent to use the Jets' wallet as leverage with the other team.  Maybe this time it will be different?

This guy gets it.

Untill we display any level of organisational competency nobody is actually coming here and paying for the privlage in the form of taxes. This dude is going to Dallas. At this point I'm used to being the NFLs perennial bargaining chip. If you're mad about Joe Douglas paying too much for a FA, this is why.

Yeah, if it's between the Jets and another team, the player has already settled on the other team and is just using the jets to squeeze out some more guarantees. 

I rolled my eyes when I heard we were reportedly interested in a safety, but Neal at OLB is interesting... Been awhile since we had a LB whos coverage skills were a strength...

7 hours ago, DoubleDecker said:

Here is where I'm confused for the first time in FA.  What's the point of spending on Neal? Are they trading Marcus Maye?  Is Joyner playing slot, a position he sucked at and not FS where he regarded as elite?  Something is up and a domino might be falling soon in Jets land that we didn't not expect

4-3 WLB

I thought the same thing as you before I realized the position switch but tbh, the thought of a OLB that's a strength in coverage and can run with most TE's definitely interests me and I really hope JD pulls this off and isn't just letting Neal use us to squeeze some more guaranteed $ from Dallas