Report: Keanu Neal Choosing Between Jets and Cowboys

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Not the way Saleh played it. If 2019 is Saleh’s ideal, then Saleh wants 1-gappers collapsing the front, forcing hesitation and read and react LBers that get through gaps fast. 

I see

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When we hear about a player rumored to have interest in/from the Jets but not yet signed it has pretty much always gone the other way because it was a leak from the agent to use the Jets' wallet as le

It takes at least 5 normal safeties to = one jamal

Jetnation Update: If Jets sign Neal, JD is signing another jag.  If Neal signs with Cowboys, JD has once again lost out on a player. 

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Not the way Saleh played it. If 2019 is Saleh’s ideal, then Saleh wants 1-gappers collapsing the front, forcing hesitation and read and react LBers that get through gaps fast. 

Thanks. But does that work against two tight ends etc. or did he make the d personnel bigger in that case. Not trying to be difficult,; just new here and hungry for information. Lurked for years and learned so much from the quality of many of the posts. But I've still got a ways to go.

20 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

When we hear about a player rumored to have interest in/from the Jets but not yet signed it has pretty much always gone the other way because it was a leak from the agent to use the Jets' wallet as leverage with the other team.  Maybe this time it will be different?

No, it won't be different.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

I too have been held hostage by Directv since the early 90's. So happy to hear the new broadcast deal cuts Directv out. If it's steaming through Amazon then that's OK. But I hope they open it up to all platforms - steaming and cable.

ESPN, theyre the ones getting Sunday Ticket through ESPN+

• Upvote 1

We’re losing out on affordable guys that could contribute and make this team better for 500k-1mil.

Lets see how much we’re under the cap at the start of the season.

18 minutes ago, TnT said:

We’re losing out on affordable guys that could contribute and make this team better for 500k-1mil.

It is tough for the Jets because Keanu would pay 10% tax on half of his games to NJ.  In Tx he pays 0% on his home games.  And Dallas has a QB, is in a better, more fun climate.  Its hard to compete with that. 

The Jets need lots of draft picks and then extend players early while they still have leverage.  Will be hard to get players to want to play in NJ.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, varjet said:

It is tough for the Jets because Keanu would pay 10% tax on half of his games to NJ.  In Tx he pays 0% on his home games.  And Dallas has a QB, is in a better, more fun climate.  Its hard to compete with that. 

The Jets need lots of draft picks and then extend players early while they still have leverage.  Will be hard to get players to want to play in NJ.

I understand the hurdles, I do

he signs for 6.5 mil....it’s not terribly overspending...adds depth and versatility at S and WLB...AND...he’s good.

im just getting that cheap feel man. 

Could be Douglas only wanted Neal on a 2-3 year deal at these bargain dollars (with just 1 year guaranteed), so the Jets don't have both their starting safeties becoming UFAs this time next year. Or if the idea was to move him to WLB, well he's already got one new LB in Jarrad Davis on a 1-year deal with no team options beyond, so same rationale at the other position group.

Anyway I don't think Douglas was interested in another 1 year deal for a guy at veteran starter money (even if lower-end veteran starter money) where he's got to cave to the player if he pans out or begin his FA search all over again if Neal is just ok in whatever role (but was just good enough to keep others on the bench).

Meanwhile Neal probably wanted only a 1-year prove-it deal if the best he can get right now is well below $10MM per. Any longer deal wasn't going to come with 2+ years guaranteed so there's little upside in him taking it. Even more so when the cap is probably going to rise by some $30MM next year. 

• Upvote 1

A forgettable rookie season aside, it's also likely Douglas ideally wants Davis to start this year. (I mean we all do, but because his play demands it not because there's no one else any better.). We'll see.

Maybe I'm being foolishly hopeful - it's happened before - but I'd like to see what Davis does with more coaching attention on him than a second veteran safety on a contract that makes him the starter unless he gets badly injured again. Further, I'd like for Davis to have this attention from a (presumed) better defensive staff, with a true/full summer of work without covid limiting things, on top of just not being a rookie again in general. I don't follow college ball and am not a draft hawk, but all I remember is how much of a steal this kid was supposed to be where we got him. 

If Davis has a major turnaround in year 2 (and isn't injured like half the season again) then Douglas will have done the right thing in not getting into a bidding war over a player he ultimately didn't need. If Davis sucks again, well, then not so much.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, as much as it was celebrated by many at the time, the throw-in of McDougald last year made the Adams trade worse not better. On balance all it did was rob the team of $4MM less cap room pushed forward to 2021. Would an extra cushion like that have made JD a little more interested in a higher-priced FA he didn't pursue? Maybe not, but we'll never really know. 

2 hours ago, TnT said:

I think it's more that we're kind of a long running joke. So you can come here with an over 10% rate in NJ taxes to play in a swamp, or go to Jerry World and pay no state income tax. This is why everyone knew he was going to Dallas and we where just getting used, as we normally do. Until we get our sh*t together and prove we've got some competency we're just not a very attractive destination.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Another thing to keep in mind is that, as much as it was celebrated by many at the time, the throw-in of McDougald last year made the Adams trade worse not better. On balance all it did was rob the team of $4MM less cap room pushed forward to 2021. Would an extra cushion like that have made JD a little more interested in a higher-priced FA he didn't pursue? Maybe not, but we'll never really know. 

Are we sure Hawks didn’t require te Jets to take McD for Cap reasons? 

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

A forgettable rookie season aside, it's also likely Douglas ideally wants Davis to start this year. (I mean we all do, but because his play demands it not because there's no one else any better.). We'll see.

Maybe I'm being foolishly hopeful - it's happened before - but I'd like to see what Davis does with more coaching attention on him than a second veteran safety on a contract that makes him the starter unless he gets badly injured again. Further, I'd like for Davis to have this attention from a (presumed) better defensive staff, with a true/full summer of work without covid limiting things, on top of just not being a rookie again in general. I don't follow college ball and am not a draft hawk, but all I remember is how much of a steal this kid was supposed to be where we got him. 

If Davis has a major turnaround in year 2 (and isn't injured like half the season again) then Douglas will have done the right thing in not getting into a bidding war over a player he ultimately didn't need. If Davis sucks again, well, then not so much.

I want a ******* lights out edge rusher .. am I asking too Much 

14 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wasn't everyone hurt half the season? The best move we have made this offseason is completely overhauling both the staff and the philosophy of how we train our players. And we replaced the practice field.

16 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

$5m?

we paid jarrad Davis more?

Yes, we did.

Not sure what to think anymore with some of these players he's missed out on over some really weird sh*t.  Is it that he has a value chart that he sticks too (if so, how on earth is Davis above Neal)? or is it, he's just not a closer? 

Starting to feel like the later, unfortunately.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Yes, we did.

Not sure what to think anymore with some of these players he's missed out on over some really weird sh*t.  Is it that he has a value chart that he sticks too (if so, how on earth is Davis above Neal)? or is it, he's just not a closer? 

Starting to feel like the later, unfortunately.

Between this stuff and the mid-round draft picks last year... I’m scratching my head. I don’t want him to suck, but he kinda sucks.

29 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Between this stuff and the mid-round draft picks last year... I’m scratching my head. I don’t want him to suck, but he kinda sucks.

I'm quite confident he sucks.

• Thumb Down 1
On 3/21/2021 at 8:07 AM, johnnysd said:

Wasn't everyone hurt half the season? The best move we have made this offseason is completely overhauling both the staff and the philosophy of how we train our players. And we replaced the practice field.

No argument from me on any of this

On 3/20/2021 at 9:56 PM, Lizard King said:

I want a ******* lights out edge rusher .. am I asking too Much 

It'd be nice, yes. But Keanu Neal isn't a lights out edge rusher. He's a safety that some had in mind to convert to WLB. 

As much as I wasn't poo-poo'ing on it at the time, in hindsight the truth is the Abraham/Mangold swap wasn't a net gain (as much as Mangold was freaking great for us). Worse still is the team had a more than adequate center who had more really good years left in him (including through 2009 at least, and maybe would have played one more with the team doing that well). Tannenbaum used the savings on the likes of Kenyon Coleman, or extending BT or and it's unlikely we'd have then drafted Gholston (first we wouldn't have had the exact same draft pick in the first place, but also the Jets' #1 need wouldn't have been edge rusher). EDGE was still a need in 2010 when, as a final-4 team, we were hamstrung from adding FAs in 2010 and the best edge rusher we could get our hands on was 36 year-old Jason Taylor. 

But what are you complaining about? Jachai Polite is going to beast out for us this year. You watch.